Hawaii Pharmacy deposit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxforlife2004

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hawaii College of Pharmacy (my backup school) sent me a letter of acceptance and asked me to deposit 1000 dollars for the spot!!! What should I do now? I mean I am still waiting the result from UOP and Nevada College of Pharmacy.

By the way...LV pharm bro or anyone here ...can you clarify more about pre-candidate, candidate status...because Hawaii is now still under pre-candidate status!

Members don't see this ad.

Oh by the way...I have only 10 days to reply them!

Honestly, I would pay the deposit. Pre-Candidate is the first step towards full accreditation. Is it a risk that you go to the school? Yes it is. Is it a big risk? No it is not. In the history of the ACPE (the governing body of accreditation for pharmacy schools) they have never denied a school it's accreditation. Currently, I go to a school that has the same status, but we are going to find out if we will move up to Candidate status. Once at Candidate status, when students from the first class graduate, you will be able to sit for the NABPLEX exam. I know the language sounds scarry, but it isint. Plus it sounds like Hawaii has great people working for them. Isint all the administration from UOP or something? I hope this helps

Members don't see this ad :)
Hawaii has been granted pre-candidate status by the ACPE to allow it to enroll its first class of students. It simply signifies that the program now has a Dean, and that it's following ACPE guidelines for the establishment of a Pharm.D. program. Candidate status implies that the school has not yet graduated its first class, and that students who graduate from a school with candidate status have all the rights and privaleges that other accredited school's graduates have. Full accreditation is usually granted after the first class has graduated. By then, the school will have had several onsite visits from ACPE (during candidate status) and will have been given input by them on the program's progress.

Nevada College of Pharmacy just received full accreditation from the ACPE. Currently, ACPE is granting full accreditation to new schools for two years with review and potential for renewal after four years. Thereafter, schools go on an every 6 year cycle.

The deposit you cited was the same amount NVCP asked for the past few years...when you're a new school (ie, not just a new department in an established university, but a "brand spanking new school"), and you know that a good percentage of students who are accepted into the program will not matriculate, you're probably gonna ask for a bigger deposit. How many schools have you applied to? I can't tell you that you should do it or not, since NVCP is no longer a "sure thing" as it was a few years back. Dr. Harry Rosenberg, who now has had success starting up Western's pharmacy program and NVCP, is a consultant on the Hawaii project. Given his track record, I wouldn't be too concerned about the program's development. But, realize that being a member of a charter or founding class means you'll be exposed to the "warts" of a new program. You just might have some "crappilly taught" classes, an occasional "crappy" instructor, apparent disorganization, suboptimal facilities, etc. At least, that was the case according to some students at another program...I'm sure South is doing fine, right South2006? ;) On the upside, charter classes seem to have an easier time getting through...less attrition, I suppose they need your money! ;) I don't know what to tell you about the deposit, but if this is the only other school you applied to this application cycle, and you want to go to pharmacy school next year, you just might have to bite the bullet and do it.

Originally posted by LVPharm
But, realize that being a member of a charter or founding class means you'll be exposed to the "warts" of a new program. You just might have some "crappilly taught" classes, an occasional "crappy" instructor, apparent disorganization, suboptimal facilities, etc. At least, that was the case according to some students at another program...I'm sure South is doing fine, right South2006? ;) On the upside, charter classes seem to have an easier time getting through...less attrition,

I totally agree with you on your points. We are just looking forward to having our own bulding in July and to have a real lab set up. Its always rough in the begining, but im glad to be apart of the first class

BUMP because i think this school's gonna become real popular.

400 something people applied for 130 spots for the Fall of 2004. I just had an interview and waiting to see what happens.

Originally posted by rxforlife2004
Oh by the way...I have only 10 days to reply them!

So, did you do it?

Originally posted by michelleca4
400 something people applied for 130 spots for the Fall of 2004. I just had an interview and waiting to see what happens.

As far as I know, that's probably some of the best odds of just about any school since the inception of PharmCAS. I would also think that Hawaii would be really receptive of out of state students. Why is it that I can't seem to find Hawaii on the AACP website under any heading? Is anyone worried about the cost of living in Hawaii? From what I understand it's not cheap. It's business as usual at MWU and I have a huge exam tomorrow, hence the time wasting on SDN... We just got next quarter's schedule and every day we begin at 8am, but we get out a little earlier in the morning. Good luck to all!

Hawaii is precandidate status...but its sister school is Nevada College of Pharmacy. Both programs are similar! The cost of living is just like living in Southern California, but Milk and Gas can be costly. When I interviewed they were filling there last seats.

They are in pre-candidate status and there sister school is Nevada College of Pharmacy. When I interviewed, I was interviewing for the last seats.

LVPharm,

Actually, NVCP is my first choice, then UOP, then New Mexico.

RX, if you don't mind me asking, why would you rather go to NVCP than UOP? Is it a location or a school thang?

UOP is a good school...we all know that. I know a lot of people in here will go to UOP; thus, I don't wanna offense anyone. However, I have some relatives in Nevada. This could save me quite a lot in terms of living expenses. Also, I have a chance to stay with my cousins-who are like my brothers/sisters.

So overall, it's all about personal :) I don't wanna be lonely in UOP :laugh:

hey.. i've been reading your post about a pharmacy school in Hawaii.. but i can't seem to find the school online. What is the name of the college?

thanks!

Originally posted by pharmacygirl
hey.. i've been reading your post about a pharmacy school in Hawaii.. but i can't seem to find the school online. What is the name of the college?

thanks!

it's www.hicp.org

It's new, but it seems quite popular. Hmmm, yeah, I suppose Hawaii WOULD be a nice place to live.

;)