Hawaii College of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for your info
i can not find the Hawaii college of pharmacy on Bank of america and bank one application.should i call the banks or i need to get a letter from hawaii
or how can i apply for it.does anyone know how many paid their tuition

Members don't see this ad.

Dr.pz said:
Thanks for your info
i can not find the Hawaii college of pharmacy on Bank of america and bank one application.should i call the banks or i need to get a letter from hawaii
or how can i apply for it.does anyone know how many paid their tuition

I'm sorry I left something important out. Basically, because HICP is not accredited yet, HICP does not qualify for funding from a government source. The loans from BankOne and Bank of American we funded by Teri. The government funds Teri. Thus, once Teri found out that HICP was not accredited, they pulled the loans. The loans that were processed we approved but new loans are not. That is why you cannot find HICP on their list of approved school. The way you?re going to have to pay for school by private means (personal loans). It was an unfortunate circumstance but it happened. Many people are upset at HICP for that. I hope this helps you.
Feel free to ask more questions or post concerns.

ucrsandstorm said:
I think you did insult him when you asked if he was a PharmD. He is a business person handling the finance part of the school and is there to answer questions about the accreditation process. I think its disrespectful you for to start asking him if he had a PharmD. When you were an undergrad, did you go up to the financial aid lady/guy and asked if they had a PharmD, PhD, MD, DO, OD, ect.
Usually, that information would be provided in writing. "Contact Dr. XXXX PhD, for more information" etc... I don't know how they can expect students to guess each "Dean's" academic history. It sounded like a fair question to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
borat said:
hey.........
im just checking all the old messages..
were you able to find anything?
jhow much were these condos renting for?

That's a pretty old message. To find a place to live you?re going to need to check the local newspaper (Honolulu Times), which is also accessible at www.honolulutimes.com. There are not a lot of places close to the school anymore to rent because a lot of students are renting them. There is also a link on www.hicp.org with housing information. Also, I have been referred to www.roommate.com as a good source but I have not used them myself. Good luck to you and feel free to ask questions or post concerns.

you mean there is no chance of getting loan from banks and we have to pay the tuition by our personal saving or parents

Dr.pz said:
you mean there is no chance of getting loan from banks and we have to pay the tuition by our personal saving or parents

Unfortunately yes, for now.

You can find out info about HICP like I did and UCRSandstorm did... look it up and research it. His posts seem to be very unbiased, so please keep the insults to a minimum. It's not like we are talking about pharmgurl2004 here or better yet LizardTool. Thanks!

ucrsandstorm said:
Mr. Park is a very nice guy. Did your friend get into the school as well? I think you did insult him when you asked if he was a PharmD.

I agree with JD that asking someone what degree they hold is not an insult. What degree they hold gives you and idea about their background, which can be a big influence on the philosophy of their program. I do wonder if there is a possibility that the way in which the question was asked may have been upsetting.

Does anyone know why every person affiliated with HICP goes by Mr./Ms. instead of Dr., even if they have some type of doctorate? It seems really odd.

I will tell you guys what I know. Mr. Monroe and Ms. Criswell are addressed as Mr and Ms as they do not hold doctorate degrees. I heard Mr. Monroe holds a M.S. in library and something related to that. Don't quote me on this as I also have heard it from a third party. Ms. Criswell comes from a business background so I do not know her academic background.

Dr. Baghavan, the dean of the school, holds a Ph.D and John Pang, an associate dean, holds a PharmD. and a M.S.

I hope everyone is clear on this. HICP website addresses school officials accordingly. Nowhere on the website does it claim Mr. Monroe to hold a doctorate degree or anything else that he doesn't hold.

Hey guys, anyone still looking for housing? We still have one more room available. The brand new house is a two story 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom, never been lived in, located in Ocean Pointe, Ewa Beach. Its about a 10 minute drive to school. Rent is $600.00 for your own room. Check out the floor plan here: http://www.paradeofhomeshawaii.com/entrants/2003/pdf/poh-oceanpt204-v4.pdf
I need one last roomate ASAP, so let me know if you're interested! =)

ucrsandstorm said:
That is why you cannot find HICP on their list of approved school. The way you?re going to have to pay for school by private means (personal loans). It was an unfortunate circumstance but it happened. Many people are upset at HICP for that.

But HICP still states on its website:

Currently, the College works with a variety of private lenders to arrange loans for qualified students. Students must receive a letter of admission from the Admissions and Student Affairs Office before the College's Director of Financial can begin the financial aid process. In addition to working with students to obtain private student loans, the College also awards a variety of scholarships to qualified students based on merit and financial need.

The website also says, "Orientation typically occurs in the last week of August, immediately prior to the beginning of classes." even though they haven't even held orientation for their first class yet! Someone stumbling upon the site would believe that HICP is an established school based on that statement.

I agree with the idea given earlier that the HICP students should band together to ensure that the staff and faculty of HICP conduct business in a manner fitting with a professional pharmacy program. Honesty is a core value of our profession. With the recurrence of incorrect information on the HICP website, even regarding such serious issues as accredidation, the integrity of the school and its administration are placed at issue. If the administration cannot demonstrate integrity, who are they to train the pharmacists of tomorrow? And, how could ACPE grant HICP accredidation without being confident that the ethical standards of our profession will be imparted at this institution?

Hi guys, I am new to this post and I was wondering do you know how may professors are teaching in this school? It's pretty important to see how many PhDs they have so that the chance of getting accreditation is higher. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
jenn,

i just sent you a private message.

-henderson

are we competing for rooms now?
ya jenn i sent you a pm first ;)

sunnieday said:
Hi guys, I am new to this post and I was wondering do you know how may professors are teaching in this school? It's pretty important to see how many PhDs they have so that the chance of getting accreditation is higher. Thanks!

Sunnieday,

I think Henderson answered your question about the titles of our deans. In case you missed it, here's the link http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=1715341&postcount=313

He did leave a few people out that I know about. HICP has a dean of clinical practice, Dr. Borja, she has a PharmD, MBA, and PAHM. The other assistant dean is Dr. H.A. Hasan. I'm unsure of degree title he holds or which assistant dean position he will be holding. Mrs. Criswell is part of the administration and I?m not 100% sure but I believe she has a Doctorate in Education, making her Dr. Criswell. HICP is in the process of hiring more faculty so I?ll keep you posted when that happens. Feel free to ask more questions or post concerns.

ucrsandstorm said:
HICP is in the process of hiring more faculty so I?ll keep you posted when that happens. Feel free to ask more questions or post concerns.

When are classes supposed to start? It seems odd that other schools are starting their classes in the next couple of weeks and HICP is still hiring their core faculty.

ForgetMeNot said:
When are classes supposed to start? It seems odd that other schools are starting their classes in the next couple of weeks and HICP is still hiring their core faculty.

Class officially begins on Oct.4 and orientation begins on Sept 27. The reason for the later start is because the summer, other breaks will be shorter than the average summer and breaks at other schools. This program is a 3 yr block system program like University of Southern Nevada?s, so they are on a tighter schedule, maximizing the time that students spend in school. HICP needs faculty like many other programs so they are hiring. I believe they have enough instructors to teach which probably includes the dean. I think the dean will be teaching medical biochemistry to us since he wrote the book that we are going to be using.

Does anyone know about the meeting that hawaii college of pharmacy had on June 24-27 with ACPE and also what is the current status of the school

so we all want to go to a school that even has not applied for its accereditation.

Dr.pz said:
so we all want to go to a school that even has not applied for its accereditation.

Hey.... watch out now, HICP could become the 2nd best pharmacy school in the US! ;)

EarlyEditionDude said:
Hey.... watch out now, HICP could become the 2nd best pharmacy school in the US! ;)

Why stop at number two? HICP could be the number ONE non-accredited school in the US! :p

AmandaRxs said:
Why stop at number two? HICP could be the number ONE non-accredited school in the US! :p
You are so suck!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Will you become the best pharmacist in the US? I hope not.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BlueSkyCA said:
You are so suck!!!! :laugh: :laugh: Will you become the best pharmacist in the US? I hope not.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I are so suck!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"Let think it"....I may not become the best pharmacist in the US, but at least I'll become one. :smuggrin:

Yet another incoherent post...

20040218x.gif
You are so suck!!!!
20040218x.gif
20040218x.gif

bananaface said:
I was thinking about starting a non-accredited pharmacy school in my basement. Does anyone want to be on faculty? :laugh:

LOL, good one...... :thumbup: Well to come to think of it there is actually a non-accredited MBA program (forgot the name) that operates inside a basement!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Let's be nice guys. Please pick your words wisely and don't offend anyone planning on attending the school or the actual state of Hawaii. What some people might find humorous, others find offensive and inconsiderate. And we don't want any administrative action taken against someone, now do we?

With that said, is the school you're talking about in the basement the University of Phoenix?

People vary widely in their emotional development and in the range and strength of their emotions. While one person is passionate and impulsive, another is cool and reflective; while one is quick to anger, another is patient; while one is emotionally impassive, another is capable of running through a wide range of emotions in less time than a finger snap. Whether emotions are repressed or expressed, indulged in or sublimated, depends on a combination of factors: innate temperament, family background, and the ethos and traditions of the larger society. No one(s) can change their thoughts but themselves. So Just let it be. -RB

"The slayer gets a slayer in his turn;
The conqueror gets one who conquers him;
The abuser wins abuse, the annoyer frets.
Thus by the evolution of the deed,
A man who spoils is spoiled in his turn." -SN

Dr.pz said:

Dr.pz, I think it would be wise for you to spend some time reading over some of the old post. In fact, you should read all of them if you have time. I believe you will find many of the answers to your questions there. At this point and time, the school stands as not accredited like many other new schools. In fact, the school does not have candidate status or pre-candidate status. What you need to ask yourself is why and is this going to be the place for me. It's going to be a personal choice that you are going to have to make. Some feel that yes, HICP is going to be ok despite all the negativity surrounding the school, most visibly from concerned SDNer's. Others, mostly the admitted students who are going to go, feel its going to be okay and have been able to pay tuition, booked flights, have housing. I believe some are actually moving there in next couple of weeks. I believe it?s going to be a long journey either way. All I want is for people to make and informed decision. Feel free to PM with questions or post.

AmandaRxs said:
I are so suck!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"Let think it"....I may not become the best pharmacist in the US, but at least I'll become one. :smuggrin:
Really? When is it? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LVPharm said:

20040218x.gif
You are so suck!!!!
20040218x.gif
20040218x.gif
Animal is still animal huh? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Only human act is considered as a good person or bad person!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LVPharm said:

20040218x.gif
You are so suck!!!!
20040218x.gif
20040218x.gif

LVPharm-This is disrespectful and is very insensitive to BlueSkyCA. Please keep it clean.

bananaface said:
I think we can all feel free to express our views either directly or with humor, no matter which side we stand on. If we avoid TOS violations and salmanander, that is.

I obviously don't make fun of anyone... and I do stand on the other side. Yes we can express our views but when you belittle someone else that sure does not create an atmosphere to express concerns and questions. It takes away from SDN and its focus to HELP and SUPPORT people who have concerns and questions. I think you guys/gals take it too far sometimes.

BlueSkyCA said:
Animal is still animal huh? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Only human act is considered as a good person or bad person!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You have never made even one coherent statement. It's completely impossible to understand or even infer what it is that you're trying to say. Communication skills are an extremely important asset for a pharmacist to hold. That being said, I, along with I'm sure most other SDNers, would recommend that you take a few more English/Communication courses.

--------
Key to the above post:
coherent
adj 1: marked by an orderly, logical, and aesthetically consistent relation of parts; "a coherent argument" 2: capable of thinking and expressing yourself in a clear and consistent manner.
infer
v 1: reason by deduction; establish by deduction
asset
n : a useful or valuable quality
--------

Sometimes I am ashamed to be apart of this forum and the idiocity that comes from it. It's completely embarassing for me that other health care providers read some of these posts and may judge all pharmacists as *****s.

AmandaRxs said:
You have never made even one coherent statement. It's completely impossible to understand or even infer what it is that you're trying to say. Communication skills are an extremely important asset for a pharmacist to hold. That being said, I, along with I'm sure most other SDNers, would recommend that you take a few more English/Communication courses.

--------
Key to the above post:
coherent
adj 1: marked by an orderly, logical, and aesthetically consistent relation of parts; "a coherent argument" 2: capable of thinking and expressing yourself in a clear and consistent manner.
infer
asset
--------

Sometimes I am ashamed to be apart of this forum and the idiocity that comes from it. It's completely embarassing for me that other health care providers read some of these posts and may judge all pharmacists as *****s.
Really? I do not lack communication skills as you think. I think there is someone who understand what I said. Sometimes, I like talk a little, but someone have to think much to understand what I want to express. That's it, and it is my way to give back to people's act. I express my views with humor indirectly. Thanks for your concern, and you also must help people who actually seem unqualified to become a good pharmacist.

AmandaRxs said:

so why the hell are we all going to this school? :(

what is the yahoo groups link again?
please!!!!

AmandaRxs said:

--------
Key to the above post:
coherent
infer
asset
--------

You left out one clarification for him/her/it:

English
Function: noun
1 a : the language of the people of England and the U.S. and many areas now or formerly under British control b : a particular variety of English distinguished by peculiarities (as of pronunciation) c : English language, literature, or composition when a subject of study
2 plural in construction : the people of England
3 a : an English translation b : idiomatic or intelligible English
4 : spin around the vertical axis deliberately imparted to a ball that is driven or rolled -- compare DRAW, FOLLOW; body english

;)

ucrsandstorm said:
LVPharm-This is disrespectful and is very insensitive to BlueSkyCA. Please keep it clean.

If you can refrain from being "insensitive" to BlueSkyCA, then you're a better person than I. Each comment made by him/her/it is highly incoherent, nonsensical, and just plain ridiculous.

ucrsandstorm said:

I won't lose any sleep knowing you are dissatisfied with the "comment". Yes, it was clean...and no, you may not lecture me on proper forum etiquette. You have not earned that right.

:mad:

holy s#$t this thread never ends! someone post the new one w/ the summary or abstract. and start over yikes.

People vary widely in their emotional development and in the range and strength of their emotions. While one person is passionate and impulsive, another is cool and reflective; while one is quick to anger, another is patient; while one is emotionally impassive, another is capable of running through a wide range of emotions in less time than a finger snap. Whether emotions are repressed or expressed, indulged in or sublimated, depends on a combination of factors: innate temperament, family background, and the ethos and traditions of the larger society. No one(s) can change their thoughts but themselves. It's human nature and is inborn. So Just let it be. -RB

humanbeans said:
People vary widely in their emotional development and in the range and strength of their emotions. While one person is passionate and impulsive, another is cool and reflective; while one is quick to anger, another is patient; while one is emotionally impassive, another is capable of running through a wide range of emotions in less time than a finger snap. Whether emotions are repressed or expressed, indulged in or sublimated, depends on a combination of factors: innate temperament, family background, and the ethos and traditions of the larger society. No one(s) can change their thoughts but themselves. It's human nature and is inborn. So Just let it be. -RB

Ooooh a favorite quotes thread! :clap: Here's a couple of Jack Handey quotes to add:

~Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis.

~Instead of studying for finals, what about just going to the Bahamas and catching some rays? Maybe you'll flunk, but you might have flunked anyway; that's my point.

:laugh:

No matter how high educated you are or how famous the school you attended, but when it comes to lack of knowledge and understanding, you'll be nothing.

Hope my quote would help. Good luck to all!

humanbeans said:
No matter how high educated you are or how famous the school you attended, but when it comes to lack of knowledge and understanding, you'll be nothing.

Hope my quote would help. Good luck to all!
Your quote=the not making sense. Thanks.

FutureRxGal said:
If you can refrain from being "insensitive" to BlueSkyCA, then you're a better person than I. Each comment made by him/her/it is highly incoherent, nonsensical, and just plain ridiculous.
So???? It's my way to give it back to people's act, and it's my purpose. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: If you are not my aim, you can not understand what I mean :p :p :p