Having a hard time choosing between optometry and podiatry, looking for some advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

galaxmart

Reaction score
I have shadowed both an optometrist and podiatrist and enjoy both careers. Both careers will allow me to help people, have financial freedom, be my own boss, and have a great work/life balance. I wanted to know if you guys can list some pros and cons to each career. What are some deciding factors to think about in my situation.

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are not competitive for Podiatry programs. If you are serious about applying to a Pod program, take the MCAT first, the score will decide if you are eligible to apply or not.

In 2019, the following were the stats for an accepted student to a Pod program: GPAs: sci 3.1, overall 3.3; MCAT 495.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Your stats are not competitive for Podiatry programs. If you are serious about applying to a Pod program, take the MCAT first, the score will decide if you are eligible to apply or not.

In 2019, the following were the stats for an accepted student to a Pod program: GPAs: sci 3.1, overall 3.3; MCAT 495.
I think most recent was 3.2 and 3.4 and the year before that was 3.2 and 3.3.

OPs 2.6 sGPA won't work

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have shadowed both an optometrist and podiatrist and enjoy both careers. Both careers will allow me to help people, have financial freedom, be my own boss, and have a great work/life balance. I wanted to know if you guys can list some pros and cons to each career. What are some deciding factors to think about in my situation.

So both of these fields will fulfill you. The large concern i would focus on is understanding what you need to get in to both programs. I didn’t see your stats posted , but both will ask for a gpa above a 3.0. If memory serves me correctly, in undergrad I was told optometry schools at time had minimum science GPAs to apply so also check that. Also if your GPA is lower it’s not impossible to get into a program; however, your OATs score and MCAT should be higher as well as you should have an explanation as to why. Realistically, the pro and cons we may list differs person by person. I do wish you luck figuring it out

Reactions: 1 user
Considered both. Even had my stuff submitted to optomcas til last minute.

Optometry pros:
- only 4 years
- no residency required
- Get out start making money right away
- less physically demanding
- flexible work hours if need

Optometry cons:
- corporate once you get out
- Limited variety of pathology you actually treat (lens Rx) versus what you learn in school
- If school is going to be hard anyways, would you rather have just gone to med school?

DPM pros:
- a chance to use surgery as a treatment option if competent
- a little more diverse pathology (I get it, once you get out you'll be clip and chip or just treating plantar fasciitis, but from what I've seen it can have a lot of pathology or choose ones you like and refer the rest)
- residency training

DPM cons:
- longer. You finish school then slave in residency
- higher debt
- saturation
- more physically demanding
- toxic selfish people

With your 2.6 sGPA, you'd struggle to get through either schooling.

Last edited:
My deciding factor was how much procedure I wanted to do. I knew I wanted to do something surgical, and that's guaranteed when you pursue podiatry. Volunteering in a DPM's office influenced me, too. There was a brief moment when I contemplated optometry during that window between my podiatry interviews and hearing back whether or not I got accepted. Like you, my gpa was below a 3.0, but I got accepted into 3 schools, and forgot about optometry completely. My advice is pick the field you are most interested in and can be passionate about because there are pros and cons everywhere. Pick a field and focus on how to get there. I say this because it looks like you're still researching as many fields as you can based on your other posts, which is fine, but having too many careers to consider can be distracting from achieving an ultimate goal. I put so much time into improving myself and showing my dedication in this pursuit, so I think that played a factor in my acceptances despite not having the stellar scores. I really hope you find this helpful! PM me if you have any questions. :)

DPM cons:
- saturation

But do you think it's more saturated than Podiatry? I don't really know anything about Optometry but I do glance at the forums every now and then and see a lot of posts about over-saturation and struggling to find ANY job.

I don't think that is as much of an issue with Podiatry, there are a decent number of jobs out there, the issue is just finding a quality job and not getting ripped of as an Associate year after year.

But do you think it's more saturated than Podiatry? I don't really know anything about Optometry but I do glance at the forums every now and then and see a lot of posts about over-saturation and struggling to find ANY job.

Couldn't say. Had friends who graduated 2-3 years ago landing jobs, but lower paying and out of the area they wanted to be in.

Its gotten worse now for sure.

I think it depends on what you want out of your career. IMO podiatry is more similar to being an MD/DO than optometry both in terms of scope of training and the nature of our jobs. Additionally, if you have any interest in surgery at all, you can only get that with podiatry between the two.

Podiatry requires longer training, but the average practicing podiatrist salary is close to double that of an optometrist, not that salary should determine everything.

Last edited:

Hello! I am not super familiar with optometry programs but I can give you my perspective as a podiatry student at WesternU. I applied with a crappy Science GPA (it was like a 2.6 tbh though i cant remember, God bless, anymore.) life, unfortunately, was not kind to me around the time i took the heavy science classes, but I did ok in the MCAT (506) which is higher than the avg for Pod school, and I also had a strong research background. I think in terms of applying to schools, it is all in how you can "sell" yourself and present yourself to schools, if they see potential in your writing, in your drive, they are bound to call you up to meet you. In terms of saturation in the field for podiatry, from what I've heard and been able to see, it really depends on the area you want to practice at. There are plenty of opportunities out there, but again it is also about the opportunities you seek and how you go about it :) I have friends who graduated DPMs last year who landed very competitive programs and they didn't have to be top 5 of their classes, they just worked hard and showed they had what it took. Whatever your decision is, look for what will fullfill you the best, then look at your finances, only you know what drives you to be the best version of you. Good luck!