Have the programs already cut down the fellow slots?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liveinsea

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It appears to me that people are getting much less # of interviews this year. I understand that the reinbursement cut made people hesitant to apply cardio, but the candidates should get more interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Even if the reimbursements are cut, it would probably take years for the number of applicants to fall off. People still like cards because it is cool. Besides, primary care sucks.

I haven't seen any change in the number of invites that people are getting at my program. It seems about the same as last year and previous years.

Even if interviews have dropped down, I haven't seen much of a change in number of fellow spots because my understanding is that ACGME approves a certain number of spots during the accreditation.

Just because pay has decreased doesn't change the number of people wanting to go into a field.

Members don't see this ad :)
agree with the above comments. Reimbursement cuts haven't changed how many people the ED admits or consults that get called in. Nor has it changed how many fellows the ACGME will let my program train. AFAIK we had just as many applicants and interviews this year as last.

Fellowship spots would be the last thing to be cut. Fellows are incredibly cheap. As hospitals cut back on everything else, they will keep housestaff because they can be used to perform more and more work for the same amount of money.

per hour, a fellow/resident makes less than a janitor.