Have questions? Ask an Admissions Committee Member

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Admissions

I read most of your responses in this thread and I found them very helpful. I know you said you wouldn't answer any more CC questions, but this one is not like any you've seen in this thread.

Right now I'm taking my pharmacy prerequisites at a CC, and I only have Ochem and a few bio classes left to take. I intend to transfer to a UC next fall and get a B.S. in either chemistry or biology. Since I'm going to finish my prereqs at a CC and I'm going to take challenging courses at a UC for my BS, how will the committee view my application?

I will not be taking prereqs at the UC, but I will still be taking science and math intensive courses there for my B.S. Will the pharmacy school look at those courses at all? How much will the grades I get in those courses weigh in the grand scheme of things?

This is a good question. Might add it to the blog. - *removed*

I can only speak from my experience, but I think earning a BS from a UC school will be looked upon quite favorably. I don't want people to be overly concerned with taking courses at a CC - we admit many each year who do. I would not be worried about what you have described.

What I do dislike is when a student "ducks" difficult courses at their 4 year institution and takes them at a CC during a summer session.

The committee will look at everything in your application. Prepare yourself as well as you possibly can. You sound like you have a plan in place, so stick with it and you'll be successful.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you are on a university admissions committee, I'd encourage you eliminate all the applicants who send thank you notes or emails. A very sound way of doing business, indeed. Hard to imagine someone might send a note because they were actually thankful for the time rather than simply trying to get ahead.

Perhaps the best course is, I dunno, to disregard such derriere-kissing and let each application rest on its own objective laurels? I'd find it rather disappointing that those in academia are that easily swayed by a stupid card sent in by a person that's just trying to do anything and everything to get in.

It is my opinion that a brief note/email of appreciation for the time of the interviewer is appropriate. The next time you are working at a community pharmacy, imagine nine customers in a row leave without so much as a word of thanks for your counseling. The tenth one was polite and appreciative. Which one will you remember?

Logical fallacy. The people coming into CVS/Rite Aid are your customers/patients. They used your services and gain nothing by saying "thank you." The kids coming in for interviews want something and many are ruthlessly cutthroat about it. Saying "thank you" in card-form would be irritating to me...because I know they sent it just to try to get ahead in a subtly underhanded way.

Perhaps the best course is, I dunno, to disregard such derriere-kissing and let each application rest on its own objective laurels? I'd find it rather disappointing that those in academia are that easily swayed by a stupid card sent in by a person that's just trying to do anything and everything to get in.

Logical fallacy. The people coming into CVS/Rite Aid are your customers/patients. They used your services and gain nothing by saying "thank you." The kids coming in for interviews want something and many are ruthlessly cutthroat about it. Saying "thank you" in card-form would be irritating to me...because I know they sent it just to try to get ahead in a subtly underhanded way.

Hardly worth arguing on this forum as your opinion is clearly not to be challenged. As noted throughout the thread, every application is judged thoroughly and independently. No where did I say that a thank you note has every swayed an opinion.

I find it sad that you would irritated by a thank you card. I have had many clerkship students give me gifts and tokens of their appreciation following our time together, and on several occasions I have given them things as well (a CD, DVD, or something else that we may have discussed or joked about during the clerkship). I have never felt that anything was given in an effort to get a LOR for their residency application (many never applied for residencies).

While you may feel that everything done for you throughout your life was an attempt to gain favor with you in an underhanded way, there are still quite a few professionals who believe in honesty and integrity. I'd rather be naive than callous. I'd rather be open minded than close minded.

Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info. So generally speaking, what about GPAs? What type of general science GPA and cumulative GPA do you all expect (range-rise)?

Unless the school specifically states a score on their website, I think it is safe to say that:

100% of PCAT composites < 30 are immediately rejected
80% of PCATs composites < 50 are immediately rejected

You may have a composite of 50, but if your scores are: V 99, R 99, B 20, C 10, Q 20 - you will probably be rejected also.

These aren't hard and fast rules, but pretty safe bets.

If you would like additional info, we did start a blog:
*removed*

Admissions guys/gals

Maybe you can comment in some of the other threads about the current oversupply of pharmacists and the opening of pharmacy schools as fast as CVS and walgreens........

I recently been accepted to a few programs, and as you know finals are coming up. I know most schools say you need to maintain good grades (C) or above. So If I get technically straigth Cs this semester I would still be admiited in right? I mean I'm already accepted and have the matriculation fee paid for.

Also do pharmacy school take preference for instate people? All the out of state schools I been to either waitlist or rejects me but all my instate ones takes me what gives. I really wanted to go to this one out of state one -_-'

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. So generally speaking, what about GPAs? What type of general science GPA and cumulative GPA do you all expect (range-rise)?

Each school has a minimum GPA to be considered. For those schools that use PharmCas, I think the link to each school defines more clearly these details.

Admissions guys/gals

Maybe you can comment in some of the other threads about the current oversupply of pharmacists and the opening of pharmacy schools as fast as CVS and walgreens........

In my part of the country, there is still great need for pharmacists because of the rapid fire opening of drug stores all over town. I don't think we will hit a saturation point for quite a while.

As far as the number of pharmacy schools opening everywhere, I do have some concerns which I should probably not discuss here.

I recently been accepted to a few programs, and as you know finals are coming up. I know most schools say you need to maintain good grades (C) or above. So If I get technically straigth Cs this semester I would still be admiited in right? I mean I'm already accepted and have the matriculation fee paid for.

Also do pharmacy school take preference for instate people? All the out of state schools I been to either waitlist or rejects me but all my instate ones takes me what gives. I really wanted to go to this one out of state one -_-'

Good questions. I suspect straight Cs should get you in if you've already been accepted. If you are capable of better, why settle though?

As I mentioned elsewhere in the thread, I do have experience with a state school pharmacy program and there was preference given to in state applicants. A number of people on the committee felt it was imporant to admit in state students, particularly those from less populated areas of the state. The thought being that those students would be more likely to return home and work in those underserved areas. On more than one occasion I had more senior members of the committee say they felt the university system (because it was taxpayer funded) had an obligation to admit in state students who would stay in the state.

So, yes - I do believe it is more difficult for out of state students to get into public institutions. I did not like it then and I haven't changed my opinion. I feel a more diverse group of students makes everyone more well rounded whereas a homogenous group of instate students does not broaden horizons. I'll get off my soapbox now.

1. Some committees will see that as a major plus, while others may not. You should use your statement to show having a MS makes you a better candidate. Unless your early prereq grades were awful, retaking them seems like a waste of time. However, if it has been many years since you have taken Orgo (or similar course) it couldn't hurt from a knowledge standpoint and might help on your PCATs if you retake the test. It sounds like Chem was a weak point on your PCAT - this is probably one of the first things a committee looks at. Retaking Orgo might help improve your PCAT Chem score and thus, improve your application.

2. I don't know the answer. I don't think it can hurt.

Thank you so much for your answer.

A man more eviler than Skeletor.

Thank you so much for your answer.

You are welcome. I am sorry for the delay in returning answers to everyone who is sending emails through the blog. I should be caught up tonight. If you like the blog, please bookmark it or pass it along to anyone you know who might be interested in applying to pharmacy school. We aren't making any money off the blog (other than the couple of pennies from clickthroughs), so we can be as impartial and honest as we want to be there.

*removed*

It really depends on the particular in state school. Relatively speaking, it is much easier to get into an instate public school than an out of state public school.

In my opinion, my in state schools were so competitive to get into that I had a much better chance applying to out of state private schools and possibly, an out of state public school.

Getting interviews generally depends on how many applicants apply, how strong your statistics are in comparison to other applicants, and what the particular pharmacy school focuses on in terms of GPA and PCAT scores.

Every school is different, so I suggest contacting each school of interest to get the details for yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are welcome. I am sorry for the delay in returning answers to everyone who is sending emails through the blog. I should be caught up tonight. If you like the blog, please bookmark it or pass it along to anyone you know who might be interested in applying to pharmacy school. We aren't making any money off the blog (other than the couple of pennies from clickthroughs), so we can be as impartial and honest as we want to be there.

*removed*

Lol, is this link supposed to take me to abundantbible.com, the mega site of bible studies and information?

Haha. The link is supposed to be: *removed*

is it possible to complete all the prerequisites for pharmacy school and transfer straight to pharmacy schools without a bachelor's degree?

is it possible to complete all the prerequisites for pharmacy school and transfer straight to pharmacy schools without a bachelor's degree?

In short, yes. Transferring might not be the correct word, but if you complete all of your prereqs you can apply to pharmacy school without a degree. Contact the school(s) you are interested in for specific details. A bachelor's degree might help your application.

Without any hard data, I would guess we are 50/50 on applicants having a bacherlor's degree vs. no degree.

*removed*

Best of luck.

View from the corner office:

The percentages of degreed/non-degreed applicants varies widely across the country and by type of school. As someone who sees inside many SOPs as a site evaluator and as a consultant, I hesitate to paint with a too wide brush on this issue.

There are definite benefits to applying with a prior degree (or completed by matriculation) from my biased perspective, and these should be leveraged during application activities: maturity, record of completion, consistent history of higher-level coursework, etc.

At my institution, Belmont, our first class was 71% with a prior degree. Our second class continues at that level...and, possibly higher. At the same time, however, I work with SOPs that matriculate fewer than 25% prior degreed students. 0-6 programs, for example, matriculate 0% prior degreed applicants.

The moral is simple: learn about the predispositions of the schools that you are most interested in. For applicants with/near degrees completed, I encourage you to think seriously about community fit. You will probably be happier in a student cohort more like yourself. So do the research to learn as much as you can. Phone calls can get at key info quickly.

It's the end of the academic year, and we can all start to catch our breath.

And, as a final comment: regardless of the jandiced views expressed above, thank you notes are appreciated and are part of polite, professional society. I sent out several this week, and thought of my grandmother as I wrote each: she was a stickler for protocol...and I thank her for setting my compass and making this easy task part of my standard operating procedure.

Eric H. Hobson, Ph.D.
Associate Dean
Belmont U SOP

And, as a final comment: regardless of the jandiced views expressed above, thank you notes are appreciated and are part of polite, professional society. I sent out several this week, and thought of my grandmother as I wrote each: she was a stickler for protocol...and I thank her for setting my compass and making this easy task part of my standard operating procedure.

Eric H. Hobson, Ph.D.
Associate Dean
Belmont U SOP

Thanks, Eric. Should you ever want a forum on the blog, let me know.

*removed*

Hi, this is my first time on SDN, so I'm not sure if this question has already been addressed (I tried searching for an answer, but there are a lot of posts), but I had a questions regarding letters of recommendation.

I haven't had very much of a chance to get to know my professors this past semester and many classes were larger lecture format. I am a senior and will be applying this summer for entrance in 2010, but I need to ask a professor for a letter of rec soon, but I'm not sure who would be better to ask. I have a professor for a 1-credit research ethics class who seems easy enough to talk to, but I'm not sure how that will look. I have another couple of professors who may remember me, but I wasn't very close with them. There were some professors who I had more outside of class or after class/study session conversations with, but it has been at least a 2 semesters since I've had them and I'm not sure if they would still remember me. I have done well in all of the classes (A- or above). This specific letter of rec is for only one school.

Who would be the best person to ask for a letter of recommendation? Would it help, when asking them, to offer, in addition to my transcript and resume, to have a meeting with them (mini interview, almost)?

Thanks!

Hi, this is my first time on SDN, so I'm not sure if this question has already been addressed (I tried searching for an answer, but there are a lot of posts), but I had a questions regarding letters of recommendation.

I haven't had very much of a chance to get to know my professors this past semester and many classes were larger lecture format. I am a senior and will be applying this summer for entrance in 2010, but I need to ask a professor for a letter of rec soon, but I'm not sure who would be better to ask. I have a professor for a 1-credit research ethics class who seems easy enough to talk to, but I'm not sure how that will look. I have another couple of professors who may remember me, but I wasn't very close with them. There were some professors who I had more outside of class or after class/study session conversations with, but it has been at least a 2 semesters since I've had them and I'm not sure if they would still remember me. I have done well in all of the classes (A- or above). This specific letter of rec is for only one school.

Who would be the best person to ask for a letter of recommendation? Would it help, when asking them, to offer, in addition to my transcript and resume, to have a meeting with them (mini interview, almost)?

Thanks!

This is a very good question and one I'll add to the blog. If you don't know them well, find one that you like and do well in his/her class. Make an appointment with him/her to discuss your goals. Have a copy of your CV with extracurriculars etc. Impress upon them how important it is to go to pharmacy. Then ask them if they would be willing to write an LOR. Most will agree and have done this many times before. If you show them what you interest is and come prepared, I suspect they will support you.

I'll try to follow-up with more on this later.

This question came from the blog:

I have a great relationship with my Chemistry Teaching Assistant. Is it okay to get a letter from her?

I think most committee members look at Teaching Assistants as sort of quasi-students and/or friends. Although this may not always be the case, I would strongly suggest finding a professor to write your letter of recommendation. If you worked on a project or something very specific with a TA and they can make a strong case for your aptitude and work ethic, you may want to add that as a 3rd or 4th LOR. However, I wouldn't use a TA recommendation in place of one from the instructor of record.

*removed*

Hi,

I am new to this forum and have been waiting to ask some questions, but didn’t know where to start, and I figure this would be the best place. I plan on applying to pharmacy school for the 2010-2011 year. I am going to apologize for my length ahead of time and will try to make this as easy as possible for you to read and answer.

I graduated with my B.S. in Dietetics and Exercise Sciences in 2004 (GPA 3.44) and my M.S. in Clinical Nutrition in 2006 (GPA 3.87). All were from Florida State University. I am a Registered and Licensed Dietitian/Nutritionist. I have been working as a Physical Education teacher full time for the past 3 years. I also work as an independent contractor part-time for a nutrition staffing agency that places me as a dietitian at such locations, as acute care hospitals, long term care facilities and home health care. I still have to take some pre-requisite courses at a community college and still need to take the PCAT in October. I just had some questions about my situation that I would truly appreciate your opinion on.

1. Do you think taking pre-reqs at a Community College will hurt me? I am only taking classes at a CC b/c they offer classes at night that I can take.
2. Would you recommend me getting experience as a pharmacy technician or would volunteer or shadowing experience suffice? I plan on trying to shadow or volunteer during my free time this summer and am even considering working part-time as a pharm tech if I can.
3. I am also a little bit concerned about writing my personal statement. It is hard for me to explain my reasons why I did not go back to pharmacy school sooner and why I am passionate about it now, all in one page. Lots of factors helped me realize why I wanted to go to pharmacy school now. These factors include, Being able to save money for pharm school, Pharmacy appears to be more stable than my job teaching due to budget cuts and me possibly losing my job, Being a teacher allows me to go back to class at night for pre-reqs, I am getting married soon and my fiance is finishing up graduate school so we had to really discuss pharm school, Realizing that working as a teacher or a dietitian will not allow me to financially provide for my family, I want more of a challenge, I want to be in a rapidly growing healthcare field, There are not many jobs in dietetics other than working in a hospital or doing consulting so I would like to have more opportunities, such as working retail, doing drug compounding, nuclear pharmacy, working for a pharmaceutical manufacturer or working in the hospital. I love the healthcare field and I enjoy learning about the human body and loved learning about medications/pharmacology in school. Also, I have shadowed other professions, such as physical therapists and occupational therapists to see if I would be interested in those areas of healthcare. It is difficult for me to put this into my statement and I don’t know if this is even what I should focus on in my statement. I wrote a personal statement for graduate school before and I focused a lot on why I wanted to get my M.S. in Nutrition and what I would like to do in my career etc. What do you feel should be my main focus for my personal statement?
4. I am a little worried about being in the interview and having to explain my situation and the admissions committee frowning on it. Such as having a Master’s degree in healthcare and not working full-time in the field and why did I wait so long for pharm school or why did I get my M.S. in Clinical Nutrition instead of my PharmD when I was younger etc. Would this come up in my interview and I am not quite sure how I should handle it?
5. Given my situation, would you recommend anything else for me to do to improve my chances of getting into pharmacy school for the 2010-2011 year?

I apologize for giving you too much information. But in my experience I have found that it is best to be thorough and detailed. Any help would truly be appreciated. Thank you for your time and help.

Hi,

I am new to this forum and have been waiting to ask some questions, but didn't know where to start, and I figure this would be the best place. I plan on applying to pharmacy school for the 2010-2011 year. I am going to apologize for my length ahead of time and will try to make this as easy as possible for you to read and answer.

I graduated with my B.S. in Dietetics and Exercise Sciences in 2004 (GPA 3.44) and my M.S. in Clinical Nutrition in 2006 (GPA 3.87). All were from Florida State University. I am a Registered and Licensed Dietitian/Nutritionist. I have been working as a Physical Education teacher full time for the past 3 years. I also work as an independent contractor part-time for a nutrition staffing agency that places me as a dietitian at such locations, as acute care hospitals, long term care facilities and home health care. I still have to take some pre-requisite courses at a community college and still need to take the PCAT in October. I just had some questions about my situation that I would truly appreciate your opinion on.

1. Do you think taking pre-reqs at a Community College will hurt me? I am only taking classes at a CC b/c they offer classes at night that I can take.
2. Would you recommend me getting experience as a pharmacy technician or would volunteer or shadowing experience suffice? I plan on trying to shadow or volunteer during my free time this summer and am even considering working part-time as a pharm tech if I can.
3. I am also a little bit concerned about writing my personal statement. It is hard for me to explain my reasons why I did not go back to pharmacy school sooner and why I am passionate about it now, all in one page. Lots of factors helped me realize why I wanted to go to pharmacy school now. These factors include, Being able to save money for pharm school, Pharmacy appears to be more stable than my job teaching due to budget cuts and me possibly losing my job, Being a teacher allows me to go back to class at night for pre-reqs, I am getting married soon and my fiance is finishing up graduate school so we had to really discuss pharm school, Realizing that working as a teacher or a dietitian will not allow me to financially provide for my family, I want more of a challenge, I want to be in a rapidly growing healthcare field, There are not many jobs in dietetics other than working in a hospital or doing consulting so I would like to have more opportunities, such as working retail, doing drug compounding, nuclear pharmacy, working for a pharmaceutical manufacturer or working in the hospital. I love the healthcare field and I enjoy learning about the human body and loved learning about medications/pharmacology in school. Also, I have shadowed other professions, such as physical therapists and occupational therapists to see if I would be interested in those areas of healthcare. It is difficult for me to put this into my statement and I don't know if this is even what I should focus on in my statement. I wrote a personal statement for graduate school before and I focused a lot on why I wanted to get my M.S. in Nutrition and what I would like to do in my career etc. What do you feel should be my main focus for my personal statement?
4. I am a little worried about being in the interview and having to explain my situation and the admissions committee frowning on it. Such as having a Master's degree in healthcare and not working full-time in the field and why did I wait so long for pharm school or why did I get my M.S. in Clinical Nutrition instead of my PharmD when I was younger etc. Would this come up in my interview and I am not quite sure how I should handle it?
5. Given my situation, would you recommend anything else for me to do to improve my chances of getting into pharmacy school for the 2010-2011 year?

I apologize for giving you too much information. But in my experience I have found that it is best to be thorough and detailed. Any help would truly be appreciated. Thank you for your time and help.

1) Considering you have degrees from a 4 year university and will be going back to school to complete prereqs, I think any committee will understand why the courses are being completed at a CC.

2) Yes, experience will help your application immensely.

3-5) Email me. I have considered adding a "guidance section" to the blog. What I would like to do is take 2-3 applicants and walk them through the entire process. Review transcripts and personal statements, etc. Maybe offer direct 1-1 couseling through a webcam or online chat service. This would be done at no cost to you to determine if there was the potential for a value added service. Depending on the results, it might be something the blog participants could utilize.

*removed*

Best of luck.

Hi! I have a question regarding LOR's. I completed all of the science pre-reqs while I was getting my bachelors..i graduated 2 years ago..and my question is..i never really formed any kind of personal relationships with any of my professors (i was realllyy shy and also, most science classes at my school were 300+ people, not that its an excuse) but now I find that most Pharmacy schools require a LOR from a science professor?? I'm very conflicted about what I should do? Should I take a science course just so that I could get to know a professor and then ask him/her to write me a LOR? Any advice would be very much appreciated! thank you so much! :)

Hi! I have a question regarding LOR's. I completed all of the science pre-reqs while I was getting my bachelors..i graduated 2 years ago..and my question is..i never really formed any kind of personal relationships with any of my professors (i was realllyy shy and also, most science classes at my school were 300+ people, not that its an excuse) but now I find that most Pharmacy schools require a LOR from a science professor?? I'm very conflicted about what I should do? Should I take a science course just so that I could get to know a professor and then ask him/her to write me a LOR? Any advice would be very much appreciated! thank you so much! :)

This is a tough question to answer, although your situation is not uncommon. Let me mull it over and ask someone in the admissions office what they think. I will post a response on the blog.

*removed*

Unless the school specifically states a score on their website, I think it is safe to say that:

100% of PCAT composites < 30 are immediately rejected

You may have a composite of 50, but if your scores are: V 99, R 99, B 20, C 10, Q 20 - you will probably be rejected also.

These aren't hard and fast rules, but pretty safe bets.

If you would like additional info, we did start a blog:
*removed*

I disagree....I know people who have been admitted with composite scores in the 20's even without anything being explicity stated on the website. I appreciate that you are answering students questions but people should be aware that you do not represent the viewpoints of all schools, or really, more than the 2 you have worked at.

I disagree....I know people who have been admitted with composite scores in the 20's even without anything being explicity stated on the website. I appreciate that you are answering students questions but people should be aware that you do not represent the viewpoints of all schools, or really, more than the 2 you have worked at.

I agree with your disagreement and acknowledge it is possible. I have personally never seen a composite in the 20s admitted (or even interviewed), but I suppose it could happen. For the sake of argument, I would be interested to know what school(s) are admitting students with PCATs that low. And for the record, I am answering questions based on my experience alone and not of behalf of any institutions that I have represented or presently represent.

I have made the correction below - I thank you for correcting me.

Corrected:

99.9% of PCAT composites < 30 are immediately rejected

View from the Corner Office:

The LOR situation that you describe should not drive you to take another science course just to get a science faculty member to write the letter. Rather than worry from the perspective from which you've framed the issue, I suggest looking at it from a different perspective: do a thorough assessment/investigation of the requirements for all programs that you might apply to in order to ascertain exactly what are their LOR stipulations. One size does not fit all in this admissions domain. I'm at my fourth SOP and while each has required faculty letters, not one of the four mandated a science faculty member. You may find that your situation is a little less dire already than you thought at first blush.

Second, there is no loss in going and asking to meet with one of your past science faculty, regardless of the number of students enrolled. Set up a conference and explain your needs. Spend some time "renewing" your relationship and showing that faculty member what you've been doing since you completed the course. Many faculty see LORs as part of their job and should not dismiss your request out of hand. Remember this: a fauclty doesn't have to have been a pal in order to provide a just fine LOR. However, they have to be asked...and, sometimes educated. I routinely ask former students to provide me with a resume and a page of salient talking points that will help me to shape the letter to their needs.

Eric H. Hobson, Ph.D.
Associate Dean
Belmont University SOP

If you look at this thread in it's entirety, Admissions stated that it is more important to work or volunteer in a pharmacy. In addition, you MUST receive a LOR from the pharmacist or it will be a WASTE and look really bad. How does the admission committee know you did more than just clean up or stock shelves? Work experience is important and therefore, older applicants usually have the advantage in this category because they have had (generally) more opportunity to gain work/life experiences.

I don't necessarily agree with this; well I don't agree at all with it really. In my case, I worked in a pharmacy for an entire summer. The pharmacists knew me, knew that I was a hard worker, but I decided not to get one from her/him. Why? Because they've known me for 3 months or I can go for solid LORs in other notable men/women that have known me for umpteen years. About all they could add would be my work ethic, maybe some personality things, etc. but my others could add these things and tons more.

In sum: NO its not a WASTE, I don't know where you got this idea.

I don't necessarily agree with this; well I don't agree at all with it really. In my case, I worked in a pharmacy for an entire summer. The pharmacists knew me, knew that I was a hard worker, but I decided not to get one from her/him. Why? Because they've known me for 3 months or I can go for solid LORs in other notable men/women that have known me for umpteen years. About all they could add would be my work ethic, maybe some personality things, etc. but my others could add these things and tons more.

In sum: NO its not a WASTE, I don't know where you got this idea.

I would agree that it's not always about who writes the letter as much as it is what they put in it. The LORs I turned in to USC were from my science faculty at undergrad. I never even talked at length with any pharmacists before I applied. Granted, had one of them been from a pharmacist, or perhaps if I had pharmacy experience before I started school I wouldn't have needed to come in off the waitlist, but the fact my application was high enough to come off the waitlist despite these shortcomings means that there are other more important things than having a pharmacist write an LOR, having pharmacy experience, or even a PCAT score. I think rejection may be about a single variable more often than an acceptance, but not as frequently as some might think. Just my .02 from a non-admissions person.

Hi, first of , i would like to thank you for taking your time and giving us this change to ask you questions.
i am also new on this forum and community but like an hour, i just finished to read all the posts and questions and your answers.
and i am sorry ,if i will ask the same question who someone asked before.
i m in community college right now and i am only taking the elective courses which is like, history,psy,english comp, vs...
i havent take any science courses yet. and i like to apply 6 years pharmacy program at USP in phila.
the reason i like to apply is, i want to take the science courses in university not in community college.
if i apply , i believe they would tranfer my elective courses but i am not sure for that.
Could you please tell me, what would be my changes to get in pharmacy program?
Thank very much

Thanks for all the questions. I was informed by SDN that I couldn't post the link to the blog, so I won't. I understand the business model they have and I don't want to upset anyone. I am waiting to hear back from them to see if I can post my email address directly, which is my preferred method of communication. I will refrain from posting again until I know for sure.

I will respond to those of you who contacted me directly and hope I can be of further assistance. This is a process that can and should be de-mystified. I consider it an honor to help as many of you as I can.

Thank you and best of luck.

I appreciate all the positive feedback SDNers have sent the past few days. I am glad to assist you in your pursuit of a wonderful profession.

I have been asked by SDN to not link to my blog and I will not do so. If you would like advice or assistance in reviewing statements etc, please email me: [email protected]

Best of luck to all.

View from the Corner Office:

The LOR situation that you describe should not drive you to take another science course just to get a science faculty member to write the letter. Rather than worry from the perspective from which you've framed the issue, I suggest looking at it from a different perspective: do a thorough assessment/investigation of the requirements for all programs that you might apply to in order to ascertain exactly what are their LOR stipulations. One size does not fit all in this admissions domain. I'm at my fourth SOP and while each has required faculty letters, not one of the four mandated a science faculty member. You may find that your situation is a little less dire already than you thought at first blush.

Second, there is no loss in going and asking to meet with one of your past science faculty, regardless of the number of students enrolled. Set up a conference and explain your needs. Spend some time "renewing" your relationship and showing that faculty member what you've been doing since you completed the course. Many faculty see LORs as part of their job and should not dismiss your request out of hand. Remember this: a fauclty doesn't have to have been a pal in order to provide a just fine LOR. However, they have to be asked...and, sometimes educated. I routinely ask former students to provide me with a resume and a page of salient talking points that will help me to shape the letter to their needs.

Eric H. Hobson, Ph.D.
Associate Dean
Belmont University SOP

Thank you so much for your advice! I was thinking of emailing my old parasitology professor and asking her and you just gave me the last little push i needed :)

A suggestion was sent to me through the blog by an admissions committee member at another school. She reminded applicants to use either their school email address when registering through PharmCas or create a "professional" email address. Do not use "dumbblonde @____ mail.com" or "stud69@ _______mail.com".

I agree 100% and thank her for the good advice.

Would you go to a pharmacy school if a seat is guaranteed, but you have to finish the prerequisites at their school? I think I have 22 more credits left, and I have already finished my third year in another university.

Would you go to the other university, despite their high tuition (41k), finish the prerequisites, and then start the Pharm D. program (together about 5 years)?

Thanks

Would you go to a pharmacy school if a seat is guaranteed, but you have to finish the prerequisites at their school? I think I have 22 more credits left, and I have already finished my third year in another university.

Would you go to the other university, despite their high tuition (41k), finish the prerequisites, and then start the Pharm D. program (together about 5 years)?

Thanks

Would I? If I thought that was my only option, maybe. However, if you are going to complete your degree in the 4th year of school, you might be accepted to different pharmacy schools as well. Send me a PM if you wouldn't mind sharing a bit more information.

I know it is difficult to look past tuition costs, but I would discourage making choices on that alone (easy for me to say, I know).

Hope I can help.

I appreciate all the positive feedback SDNers have sent the past few days. I am glad to assist you in your pursuit of a wonderful profession.

I have been asked by SDN to not link to my blog and I will not do so. If you would like advice or assistance in reviewing statements etc, please email me: [email protected]

Best of luck to all.

Thanks to everyone for all of the emails. I will try to address them all, particularly those questions asked about writing personal statements. A little help can go a long way in making your case for pharmacy school admission. I will post here as often as I can if you prefer to send a PM or want to post questions on this thread, but I promise to respond to emails as quickly as possible.

A couple schools in my state require getting a LOR from a pharmacist. I'm currently working full-time, and pharmacy volunteer positions at hospitals are only during the weekday. My job doesn't allow me to work part-time. Do you have any suggestions on how to get pharmacy experience so that I could ask for a LOR?

Honestly, I strongly dislike this thread and feel it's taking away from the meaning of this forum.

Honestly, I strongly dislike this thread and feel it's taking away from the meaning of this forum.
why? frankly, its good to have some insights about the admission process, I wish he/she came along last year. Fellow applicants can only give the same advice over and over again.

Hi, I have a few questions.

I'm 18 and finishing up my first year of school. I went to a 4-year school with a Pre-Pharm program my first semester. I did ok there, but I had to transfer to a local CC for my 2nd semester due to family issues so I could be closer to home and not have to make the long commute every day.

I plan on going back to my 4-year institution this Fall or Spring 2010, the latest.

I was wondering, if I have As and Bs in everything, but a C or C+ in Math, will that stop me from being admitted? Math is my hardest subject but I do pay for tutoring and try my hardest to get at least a B.

Also, I'm currently in the process of becoming a Certified Pharmacy Technician at a local Walgreen's. Do you think this would be a good addition to my resume? Would you recommend volunteer work instead?

Frankly, I think it would benefit everyone and this forum a lot more if admissions was browsing other threads and answering questions rather than having this 1 thread for everyone to come in and ask questions. If everyone is asking questions here, do we really need the rest of the forum?

I'm not going to push this any further, it's just the way i'm looking at it. I realize that admissions has helped others a lot and I do see a lot of unique cases, but I'm just saying more of an overall forum involvement would be more helpful.

Frankly, I think it would benefit everyone and this forum a lot more if admissions was browsing other threads and answering questions rather than having this 1 thread for everyone to come in and ask questions. If everyone is asking questions here, do we really need the rest of the forum?

I'm not going to push this any further, it's just the way i'm looking at it. I realize that admissions has helped others a lot and I do see a lot of unique cases, but I'm just saying more of an overall forum involvement would be more helpful.

I wish I could be everything to everyone. Alas, I am but one human being with the same time constraints (work, family, etc) as many of you. I spend very little time on SDN and do not plan to read every thread any time soon. I will, however, do my best to answer your questions if you would like to send me a PM or email: [email protected]

I might politely suggest that if you see no value in the thread, you look the other direction rather than leaving 3 of the last 10 posts in the thread.