Have questions? Ask an Admissions Committee Member

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am a PharmD and a member of a pharmacy school admissions review group at a major university. This is the second univeristy I worked for so I have a fair amount of experience with this process. I have lurked for some time on SDN and have enjoyed reading the commentary about the admissions process.

If you have questions about what committee members look for, I am happy to help. Whether it be inquiries about PCAT scores, personal statements, work experience, or undergraduate schooling, feel free to post here and I will do my best to assist.

As this admission calendar year winds down, I expect plenty of questions from those students applying for admission into th 2010 classes. I love my work and think it might be helpful for students to have an experienced voice to answer the questions they might otherwise be afraid to ask.

Members don't see this ad.

It's great to hear that. I'm in a waiting list for a South Florida Pharmacy School, second time I applied. I feel that I don't know what are they looking for?

My stats:

BSc. Biochemistry
MSc. Biochemistry (both degrees from another country but evaluated at Josef Silny)
GPA:4.0 (Pre-requisites completed again at MDC)
7 years work experience (UM and Biomedical Company in US)
No pharmacy experience
PCAT: 75 ( Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension :60) but TOEFL: 105
Chemistry, Math and Biology : 85+
4 strong letter of recommendations : 3 faculties (MD, PhDs), 1 Pharmacist

Voluntary hours at a Hospital (could not find in a Pharmacy)

I would really appreciate your help.:(

Hi, I have a question about experience.

Does Working in a pharmacy setting OR volunteering at a pharmacy setting have any advantage over the other?

Do you look at any community service that is totally unrelated to pharmacy?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been wanting to know how adcoms score the interview process.

At most schools I've interviewed at, my interviewers constantly write things down while I'm talking. What exactly are they writing? Is it my response? or if they like the answer or not? or is it a comment on how well I'm speaking?

Also how does this info get presented to the committee? Are the interviewers recanting my entire interview?

On a side note, its cool to have an adcom on the boards. Further down in my career, I'd like to work with a pharmacy school in their admissions process.

How in detail should one go into when explaining blemishes on their academic record? I did well on most of my undergrad work, but wound up dropping out with a semester of Fs about 6 years ago. I am now back in school and doing well, but I am not sure how to explain that bad semester. I have some personal reasons for it, but they seem a little embarrassing (messy divorce and eating disorder). Should I tell the truth, or come up with a cleaner story?

I am a PharmD and a member of a pharmacy school admissions review group at a major university. This is the second univeristy I worked for so I have a fair amount of experience with this process. I have lurked for some time on SDN and have enjoyed reading the commentary about the admissions process.

If you have questions about what committee members look for, I am happy to help. Whether it be inquiries about PCAT scores, personal statements, work experience, or undergraduate schooling, feel free to post here and I will do my best to assist.

As this admission calendar year winds down, I expect plenty of questions from those students applying for admission into th 2010 classes. I love my work and think it might be helpful for students to have an experienced voice to answer the questions they might otherwise be afraid to ask.

Hmm, I wonder if you're legit.
If so, which Major university you're working for?

BTY, Isn't it the class of 2013 (3 year programs) and 2014 (4 year programs) for next cycle ?

How much do you guys actually look at ECs and resume builders? Is it really a difference if the PCAT score or GPA is below average?

What advice would you have for someone with a low gpa from a previous major, not from the required pre-rec classes or their science major courses.

Good questions. I will try to answer them with a single response, but please PM me if you desire more in depth response.

I have always felt that work experience was far more beneficial than volunteer work when considering applicants. However, I know some that think it doesn't matter at all. For example, a 20 year old applicant with no work experience applying after 2 years of undergraduate studies is less likely to have the opportunity to gain the pharmacy work experience of a 30 year applicant looking for a new profession. Is it a double standard? Probably, but that's life. Experience shows that you are serious. Key point here - If you have worked or volunteered at a pharmacy, you had better damn well get a letter of recommendation from a pharmacist at the location. If you have experience and then don't bother to get a letter of recommendation from your employer, it looks really bad.

As far as poor academic records, I would be brutally honest. If you failed courses your freshman year in college because you partied too much, explain it. Use your statement to show how much you have matured and make sure your recommendations focus on your potential. If you had illness, family issues, or something else that might detract from your application, you're better off trying to explain the issues and how you've dealt with them rather than letting the committee guess what caused your sub-optimal performance. For poor grades in an unrelated field, make sure that your statement points this out and that you have a reference from a science professor to show your aptitude in that field.

As far as the interview process, my experience is that your placement has probably been determined before the interview takes place. If you are offered an interview, you are a strong candidate. The univeristy won't waste their time if not interested in you. However, use the interview to your advantage - in other words, be professional and engaged. Refrain from talking about money as a reason why you want to be an RP. Extra curriculars and resume builders are very low on this scale of importance for me unless it is directly related to the field of pharmacy.

As far as the question to my veracity, I understand that too. It's funny because I recognize a number of the posters on SDN from the application and interview process and don't want to show bias or preference. I am a PharmD graduate of a major state institution, completed my residency at a different major institution, and now work at a third. Sorry, that's all I can give you right now.

Good questions. I will try to answer them with a single response, but please PM me if you desire more in depth response.

I have always felt that work experience was far more beneficial than volunteer work when considering applicants. However, I know some that think it doesn't matter at all. For example, a 20 year old applicant with no work experience applying after 2 years of undergraduate studies is less likely to have the opportunity to gain the pharmacy work experience of a 30 year applicant looking for a new profession. Is it a double standard? Probably, but that's life. Experience shows that you are serious. Key point here - If you have worked or volunteered at a pharmacy, you had better damn well get a letter of recommendation from a pharmacist at the location. If you have experience and then don't bother to get a letter of recommendation from your employer, it looks really bad.

As far as poor academic records, I would be brutally honest. If you failed courses your freshman year in college because you partied too much, explain it. Use your statement to show how much you have matured and make sure your recommendations focus on your potential. If you had illness, family issues, or something else that might detract from your application, you're better off trying to explain the issues and how you've dealt with them rather than letting the committee guess what caused your sub-optimal performance. For poor grades in an unrelated field, make sure that your statement points this out and that you have a reference from a science professor to show your aptitude in that field.

As far as the interview process, my experience is that your placement has probably been determined before the interview takes place. If you are offered an interview, you are a strong candidate. The univeristy won't waste their time if not interested in you. However, use the interview to your advantage - in other words, be professional and engaged. Refrain from talking about money as a reason why you want to be an RP. Extra curriculars and resume builders are very low on this scale of importance for me unless it is directly related to the field of pharmacy.

As far as the question to my veracity, I understand that too. It's funny because I recognize a number of the posters on SDN from the application and interview process and don't want to show bias or preference. I am a PharmD graduate of a major state institution, completed my residency at a different major institution, and now work at a third. Sorry, that's all I can give you right now.

Very good recommendations. Thank you
As for your veracity, that's fair enough.:)

Another view from the corner office:

The interview process is more mythologized than it should be: simply put, the entire process is about trying to create the best matches between program and student as possible. If you look at it from this perspective, you can see that it's not as much about just high numbers, but about finding individuals that one wants to be with/invest in for the four years of study that we are all commiting to...on both sides of the equation.

Committees at the time of interviews (for the most part) assume that you have the smarts to complete the course of study...it's not worth anyone's time to invite non-competitive candidates in for an interview. The market just won't allow it (example: at Belmont we have 1500 completed apps for 75 seats for the CO2013), the costs associated with accepting an interview are too readl, and our time is too scarse to justify unwarranted interviewing.

I concur with my colleague whose advice preceded mine: be up-front, prepared, truthful. Listen, answer, don't BS. Think about the institution, its character and mission. Does it fit you and your values and interests? This is important because you won't change the organization...it'll change you.

On this point, spend your time learning about the school and its culture and community. You need to think "Is this a community within which I can be comfortable and happy for 4 years?" Your yardstick should not be one of "can I tolerate X for 4 yrs." Shoot for "happy." There's too much at stake here to settle for a seat.

Eric H. Hobson, Ph.D.
Associate Dean
Belmont USOP
BelmontUSOP2

this is sort of a dumb question compared to the other questions asked but I want to know if its ok to not wear stockings with dress shoes to the interview. The shoes do not cover much of my toes...which was why I going to wear stockings but does it matter?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there, and thanks for taking the time out of your schedule to answer questions.

My biggest concern isn't GPA or ECs, but rather that while I was in the Army, I was prescribed Clonazepam and Seroquel for anxiety resulting from injuries sustained in the line of duty nd I was honorably discharged with a "generalized anxiety disorder" after 4 1/2 years of service. I only received 1 Rx for the Klonopin and one for the Seroquel, but I have the Rx on my medical records and it's annotated on my DD214 (Essentially our "record of discharge") and I am concerned that, despite the very short-term usage of the drug, and my decorated service record, that AdComs will look unfavorably upon me wishing to enter Pharmacy as a profession with a "history of drug-taking behavior" as was put to me before by someone "involved with the admissions process."

I find the allegation of DTB to be heinous, and uncalled for, but perhaps it was just that particular woman.

I'm sure there are other vets here, or maybe people in general that have experienced similar problems. I'd hate to think that, through no fault of my own, and in the process of serving the United States in the global war on terror, I'd be barred from the profession to which I've grown remarkably attached.

Any advice, Admissions, Belmont, or anyone else?

Thank you for responding to my question. I appreciate you taking the time.

Hey there, and thanks for taking the time out of your schedule to answer questions.

My biggest concern isn't GPA or ECs, but rather that while I was in the Army, I was prescribed Clonazepam and Seroquel for anxiety resulting from injuries sustained in the line of duty nd I was honorably discharged with a "generalized anxiety disorder" after 4 1/2 years of service. I only received 1 Rx for the Klonopin and one for the Seroquel, but I have the Rx on my medical records and it's annotated on my DD214 (Essentially our "record of discharge") and I am concerned that, despite the very short-term usage of the drug, and my decorated service record, that AdComs will look unfavorably upon me wishing to enter Pharmacy as a profession with a "history of drug-taking behavior" as was put to me before by someone "involved with the admissions process."

I find the allegation of DTB to be heinous, and uncalled for, but perhaps it was just that particular woman.

I'm sure there are other vets here, or maybe people in general that have experienced similar problems. I'd hate to think that, through no fault of my own, and in the process of serving the United States in the global war on terror, I'd be barred from the profession to which I've grown remarkably attached.

Any advice, Admissions, Belmont, or anyone else?

I'm confused. Shouldn't your medical records be private?

I'm confused. Shouldn't your medical records be private?

Well, yes, my medical records are held at Fort Hood, where I was discharged from, however my DD214 which is the first thing that I am asked for, shows the fact that I was discharged for a "generalized anxiety disorder", and while they might not see the actual medications I was taking, it's a logical leap to assume it was a Benzodiazepine at least, as you don't get discharged for nothing, we'll put it that way.

So while it is somewhat implicit instead of obvious, I'm still concerned.

Oh, and in case you are inquiring directly about with whom I spoke, I actually told her that I had an Rx for Clonazepam and Seroquel, because I wanted to be forthright, and didn't believe holding that sort of information in would be at all beneficial.

Army naivete, I spose.

As far as stockings go, I cannot imagine why it would matter. I've never paid much attention to what an interviewee wears to be honest. Avoid fishnets maybe, but wear something that makes you feel confident and comfortable.

Regarding prescribed medication use, this should not be an issue. I know we do not ask about such use during the interview process and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't come up unless you mentioned it. At our institution (and those I am familiar with), this would not be a factor in the decision making process.

I'm just curious, what was the most interesting interview you ever conducted? (It can be the funniest, worst candidate, or best)

I am 32 years old, unemployed and live in my parents' basement. Would you hold that against me? My overall GPA is 3.5

Last edited:
I wouldn't hold anything against anyone. We've had a lot of people laid off from other professions who think pharmacy is for them because it is a stable profession. They have some prereqs completed from 15 years ago and they took the PCAT and scored in the single digits. I am amazed at the number of completely unprepared and unqualified applicants every year.

Odd interviews are not the norm. Quite a few students bring their parents with them. Every once in a while a student will make a very off hand or subtle racist or sexist remark and those never go well. The student who asks where the nearest bar to campus is usually doesn't get high marks either.

Regarding prescribed medication use, this should not be an issue. I know we do not ask about such use during the interview process and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't come up unless you mentioned it. At our institution (and those I am familiar with), this would not be a factor in the decision making process.

So, if I were to be sitting in front of you, you wouldn't ask why I left the Army or wouldn't ask to see my DD-214 and wonder why I had a "generalized anxiety disorder"? Pharmacy can be a very strenuous working condition, perhaps, you'd rationalize, I couldn't cope with the stress and would again develop GAD.

That's totally off the mark?

28 years old
graduating in May w/BA in psych w/a 4.0 gpa
previous academic record is shameful (failed & dropped courses)
3.0 pharmcas gpa
75 pcat
10 years technician experience
awesome LORs
3rd time interviewing after jumping through their hoops
still waiting to hear from IOWA!!!
what is wrong with me?????

28 years old
graduating in May w/BA in psych w/a 4.0 gpa
previous academic record is shameful (failed & dropped courses)
3.0 pharmcas gpa
75 pcat
10 years technician experience
awesome LORs
3rd time interviewing after jumping through their hoops
still waiting to hear from IOWA!!!
what is wrong with me?????

Did you apply to anywhere else besides Iowa?? If you're not a good "match" for them, you might need to go outside your comfort zone.

In my previous life, I was a prospective Psych graduate student. I had a 3.85 Psych GPA, 3.73 cumulative GPA, multiple ECs, Psi Chi officership, was on the Academic Senate, etc etc etc.... The works. And I applied to eleven graduate programs. I was turned down from several low tier schools but was accepted into higher tier schools. So I threw my hands up and joined the Army. Worst decision ever. But moving on...

There are many cases, in my experience, where very well qualified people simply don't "match" with what the particular graduate school is looking for! Don't be discouraged. My roommate blew my GRE out of the water and had a perfect 4.0, with an honors thesis, applied to two programs and got into neither of them, despite his amazing academic pedigree.

Just happens... So did you apply to more than just Iowa?

Applied and interviewed at Midwestern Downer's Grove & University of the Incarnate Word......waitlisted @ Midwestern

I cannot handle the stress of it all!!!!!

Do you guys consider the difficulty of the school where prerequisites were completed? Would you view a 3.5 at a top-tier school the same as a 3.5 at a community college?

Thanks for your response!
I would also like to know what is the question(s) that many interviewees have a hard time answering?

Do you guys consider the difficulty of the school where prerequisites were completed? Would you view a 3.5 at a top-tier school the same as a 3.5 at a community college?

I have always wanted to know the answer to this question. All my life i have hustled and bustled for good grades at a top-teir school, but its looking more and more to me like, those people who use the CC route are doing just fine and just as competitive as non CC kids are. So am I wrong?

Last edited:
I have always wanted to know the answer to this question. All my life i have hustled and bustled for good grades at a top-teir school, but its looking more and more to me like those people who go the CC route are doing just fine and just as competitive as non CC kids are. So am I wrong?

I don't think we're getting a proper view of the ratio of CC:4 year school applicants on this message board, but I am quite curious to see how certain schools are viewed.

Those of you complaining because you go to university, it is your fault for not choosing a cheaper route. Don't put down unprivileged students just cause you were born into a rich family.

Those of you complaining because you go to university, it is your fault for not choosing a cheaper route. Don't put down unprivileged students just cause you were born into a rich family.

Nobody is trying to put CC students down, infact the answer to this question will enable me decide which route my children should go in the future. Saves me money and them the hassle.

How is anyone complaining? People are genuinely curious to see if a 4 year school makes a difference in the admissions process. If it does, hopefully some high school seniors who are trying to gain admission to pharmacy school will consider this information in their choice of colleges.

Additionally, 4 year schools offer financial aid. Luckily, people of various socioeconomic backgrounds are afforded the chance to go to top-tier programs. Sure, the aid process isn't flawless, but it does increase the chance that people without the financial means to pay for a full 4 years at a private college will be able to attend.

By essentially telling all of these applicants exactly what it is you are looking for, do you ever fear that you will get nothing but people that are very, very good at jumping through hoops, but don't have the ability to think critically for themselves?

How is anyone complaining? People are genuinely curious to see if a 4 year school makes a difference in the admissions process. If it does, hopefully some high school seniors who are trying to gain admission to pharmacy school will consider this information in their choice of colleges.

Additionally, 4 year schools offer financial aid. Luckily, people of various socioeconomic backgrounds are afforded the chance to go to top-tier programs. Sure, the aid process isn't flawless, but it does increase the chance that people without the financial means to pay for a full 4 years at a private college will be able to attend.

To be honest, I'm just as eager to find out what admissions think about this. I just was just too defensive about the subject =/

By essentially telling all of these applicants exactly what it is you are looking for, do you ever fear that you will get nothing but people that are very, very good at jumping through hoops, but don't have the ability to think critically for themselves?

Zing!

I disagree with you, giving us answers to "these questions" will not get me a better PCAT score, GPA, EC and an excellent interview. So No, it will not take away my ability to think for my self. Rather it will give us an insight into this process. Must of us have spent the last couple of years of our lives working towards pharmacy school, it is only fair that we get a glimpse of some behind the scenes action.

To be honest, I'm just as eager to find out what admissions think about this. I just was just too defensive about the subject =/
I'd like to know this as well. My younger brother is currently at a CC doing his prereqs and wants to transfer to a four year college before applying to pharmacy school. He'll have a year of prereqs at a Cal State, but most of which will come from a CC.

Despite me going to a university in Michigan, I have a colorful history of various CCs under my belt from SoCal when I went home over the summer. :love:

Don't spoil it for the youngins! I'm sure you were just as hungry for a peek as they are now!

I am a 4th time reapplicant. I've gone through 3 years of rejections. This year, I have had 4 interviews and gotten accepted to all 4. As far as interviews go, I am a professional interviewee. After 3 years of rejections, I know what to say and what not to say. If you guys want some tips, I can help you. Feel free to ask away.

Quoting a sentence from Admissions: As far as the interview process, my experience is that your placement has probably been determined before the interview takes place.

Since the school has pretty much placed a person basing on the written application, extracurricular activities, and stats alone, does that mean a strong interview would not help if the placement was low to begin with? I have always had a bit of a struggle to sell myself at the interview and have recently made an improvement through practice. I found that places at which I had poor interviews, I ended up being offered acceptances or waitlisted but places at which I thought I appeared calm and confident, I ended up being flat out rejected. I understand that I can be biased throughout the application process, but have truly been wondering about this.... Thx for everyone's advice :)

I am a 4th time reapplicant. I've gone through 3 years of rejections. This year, I have had 4 interviews and gotten accepted to all 4. As far as interviews go, I am a professional interviewee. After 3 years of rejections, I know what to say and what not to say. If you guys want some tips, I can help you. Feel free to ask away.

I'm a 3rd time applicant. I think persistence is the key. I had almost given up and decided to take a year off from the application process. To this day, I still don't know if I had had good interview skills to begin with, I would have been accepted to a school and be nearly done with pharmacy school.

To Admissions,

I'd like to ask about transcripts. I'm on the verge of getting a C in organic chemistry 2, but still barely pulling a B by the skin of my teeth. I'm still debating whether to go on with the course or drop the course, take the W and retake the course over the summer.

What do you think I should do? I know I read a lot of these "to W or not to W" threads, but I wanted an opinion from an admissions counselor. Do adcoms look down on Ws or does a C look worse? What do you think I should do?

Thanks so much!

To Admissions,

I'd like to ask about transcripts. I'm on the verge of getting a C in organic chemistry 2, but still barely pulling a B by the skin of my teeth. I'm still debating whether to go on with the course or drop the course, take the W and retake the course over the summer.

What do you think I should do? I know I read a lot of these "to W or not to W" threads, but I wanted an opinion from an admissions counselor. Do adcoms look down on Ws or does a C look worse? What do you think I should do?

Thanks so much!
Work for the B. I have C and two B-'s in prereq courses. If you do well enough on the PCAT, you should know that GPA isn't the entire picture of your application. If read on my school's information chat that a C in a prereq course is fine as long as your prereq GPA is still above a 3.3.

Hi, I'm a psychobiology major at UCLA with a 3.25 overall gpa and 3.4 prereq gpa. 4 years of pharmacy volunteering exp, 2 years of a neuroscience research lab, publication of abstract, 4 years of work experience, good letters of rec, about to obtain my pharm tech license. applying to ca schools so no pcat. what are my chances of getting into any school? i'm not picky! thanks

I have to agree with the stuff Admissions says about the fact that the school has already screened you before interviews. Usually later interviews (like an April interview) means you are more of a wait-list candidate. Schools that are not interested won't bother to contact you period. From my experience interviewing at schools that I got acceptance to the schools were very prompt with their interview requests and very prompt with their decision letters. Not all schools are the same and every school has a different administration but generally if you don't hear stuff by March, then your chances just get drastically slimmer.

Kern07

Never quit unless there's no way that you can pass.

When I review apps., a string of Ws stands out as a redflag (and something I'd want to have a frank discussion about during an interview). Juggling a heavy academic load is part of the pharmacy experience. If you haven't demonstrated the ability to do so prior, I'm less confident that you'll be able to do so when the course load is even higher (for example, 18 semester hours every semester) and the performance expectations robust.

Opting out because of a possible C grade can be seen as a form of denial or immaturity. Instead of pondering the W, spend your time between now and the end of the term in a carefully-desined study process (ask your profs to help you design such). You may be quite pleased with the results...and with the cost savings.

Eric H. Hobson, Ph.D.
Associate Dean
Belmont USOP

Passion4Sci:

I hear in your post several things: a less-than-ideal prior experience with an admissions process or officer (although I can't infer wether or not that was a formal or informal event); a desire to be transparent; and, thorough familiarity with the "Army way."

Please know that each program is a unique context; therefore, very little except the most generic applies across the board, particularly in application decisions. Schools are looking for "best matches" from among a pool of very well-qualified applicants. For example, some programs matriculates student body may average 20-22 years old, and so there is given some thoguht in the selection process to community building. Others, for example, mine averages a median age of 26 with 70%+ with prior degrees, 50% married and so we look for specific attributes as we work to create a new cohort.

Your military service and record should not be a hindrance. While the discharge paperwork is something that you carry reflexively, don't assume that you'll run into all that many folk who are either familiar with it, ask to see it, or know how to read it. Military records are a genre unto themselves.

I am biased positively toward vets in the admin process because they have a demonstrated history of focus, discipline, team skills, a high tolerance for discomfort, and the ability to find the humorous in almost any situation, particularly the most banal or the most absurd. All of these help one navigate pharmacy school.

Your discomfort with the language of your discharge should not stand in the way (all discharges have to say something, and I've seen some amazingly creative discharge language). Ask yourself this question: "Can I clear a thorough background check and, if required, a 10-panel drug test." If you can say "yes" to both, then you're meeting the non-academic requirements of the most stringent programs in the country. And, I know that you've gone through hoops that were more difficult than this before.

I'll be happy to discuss more off-line should you find it helpful.

Eric H. Hobson, Ph.D.
Associate Dean
Belmont USOP