Has Voltaren OTC Gel gone OTC, or hasn't it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rph3664

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm hearing conflicting things; I stopped by the grocery store pharmacy I use earlier today, and the pharmacist didn't know anything about it. (Maybe it just isn't OTC in my state yet?)

I want some if I can get it, which is why I'm asking.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's approved, it'll just take time for it to be in stores.

Probably in the Spring

Yes it was approved along with patanol and pataday. They just haven't started marketing the otc product.

Members don't see this ad :)
I realized that the title was redundant. Oops!

Thanks.

There is a family doctor around here who uses it and swears by it...

Yes it was approved along with patanol and pataday. They just haven't started marketing the otc product.

I remember Pataday costing hundreds of dollars. Wonder if it will be affordable now.

I remember Pataday costing hundreds of dollars. Wonder if it will be affordable now.
Yup, the independent I'm at did all the pataday generic refills it could find since Medicaid pays about a hundred each.

Usually lag time on commercial availability....remembered back when adapalene took like forever to hit store shelves...like a good 8 months or so

From Lexicomp:
"Voltaren Arthritis Pain OTC 1% Gel: FDA approved February 2020; availability anticipated in Spring 2020."
(Olopatadine page not updated yet)

Yeah, I do also like buying newly OTC status drugs mainly for the experience/knowing the ins-outs of a product to make better recommendations. Changes the when to refer scenario as well

I do not think olopatadine will have much of a significant impact/not a game changer due to ketotifen fumarate already being out, other than some 3rd parties no longer wanting to cover Rx olopatadine (kind of like xyzal/levocetirizine a few years ago)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
When I start seeing TV ads for it, that's when I'll start looking for it, I guess, or cents-off coupons in the Sunday paper.

Pataday OTC at CVS is like 36$ for a twin pack.