Has anyone gone through a divorce in dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teefdr

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanna hear your experience :((

Members don't see this ad.

This is actually an interesting topic. Thanks for bringing it up.

I have not, but I can say that it sounds very stressful, dental school can put a strain on the marriage. I hope everything works out.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I watched a marriage between classmates split up during their junior year. It was tense and uncomfortable for them and those of us around them as it was happening.

Here is the good news...
They were able to remain civil and respectful.
They both made through dental school and graduated on time. (One with honors.)
One went back to their home town and had a successful private practice. Remarried and had a fine family life.
One went on to post grad work and got into teaching and research. Remarried and lived happily ever after.

Reactions: 2 users
Majority of divorces I know were dentist friends who married immediately after dental school, and then divorced within 2 yrs. Majority of them are still single - “once bitten, twice shy”.

Most people in dental school are not married and are too broke to get married during dental school. Those who were married before school are typically married with kids. So a divorce during a dental school would extremely be a big headache - and could potentially derail the ability to finish the very rigorous and time consuming process of dental school.

Let’s hope the OP is not going through a divorce.

Reactions: 1 user
I've known 3 people to go through a divorce in dental school. I can't give a description of what it was like for them, I imagine it was very hard, but I'm happy to report that it hasn't affected their schooling and they are all doing great and on track to graduate. Best wishes if you are going through something similar.