2023 General Surgery Oral Boards Resource Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Staphbreak

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been a long time lurker and thought I would contribute since I think I used every resource available for oral boards and so I'm in a unique position to compare and contrast all the available resources. I failed the first time and I attribute that to a few reasons. Firstly, I was in a busy fellowship and only gave myself about 6 weeks to study which was definitely not enough time (at least for me). Second, I only did 3 mock oral board sessions (one with Osler, and two with my previous attendings). Third, I used the wrong resources! During my first oral boards attempt, I used Osler and Odyssey. I did not feel prepared on test day and I knew I failed before the day ended.

During my second attempt, I gave myself 5 months to study. I did 15 mock oral board sessions. I was in my first year of practice so was still busy but made myself study almost everyday for this exam. The resources I used the second time around were PassMachine, behind the knife podcasts and SurgBoards. And I am so incredibly happy to say that I FINALLY PASSED!!!! I will break down each resource below but I believe SurgBoards is what helped me pass oral boards without a doubt.

1. Osler: I used this during my first attempt because everyone and their mother told me this is what they used. Some of those same people passed and some of those people failed. I think Osler hurt me more than it helped me. They do have a decent number of scenarios ... maybe like 65 or 70 all together. But the problem, and this is a big problem, is that they use actual people studying for their boards in the videos. So if the person in the video is not so stellar, you will learn the WRONG answers! And they don't do a good job of correcting all the wrong things during the debrief. Their videos are also a bit outdated. The website is also stuck in 1992. They also don't only do surgery - they do medicine, pathology, ENT, pediatrics, etc and so surgery is not their sole focus.

2. Odyssey: I will review my experience with this guy by a series of questions. Do you like paying for your oral boards over the phone by giving your credit card number? Do you like being told that you will be charged extra if your credit card payment doesn't go through because they are too busy to deal with payments not going through and this is how they deter that? Do you like making arrangements to your schedule in advance so you can attend the course, and then within a week find out only through the website that the course date has changed? Do you then like emailing them and basically being told "tough luck." Do you like being yelled at on zoom in front of 10 other people? Do you like being told that you just gave a dumb answer? Do you like spending $3,000 and watching the examiner say the above to other candidates, repeatedly stopping them while they are trying to answer a question to tell them how bad their answer was? Do you like only hearing that you need to be positive and smile when interacting with board examiners and getting the equivalent of 20 minutes of content review over 3 days? If so - this is your guy! Seriously, this was a terrible investment. All he did was scream at us and tell us we sucked. There was very little content review. He somehow spent most of the time telling us how to act and speak on oral boards. Most of what he focused on was incredibly obvious to people smart enough to complete general surgery residency training ... don't argue with the examiner ... don't answer a question with a question ... be well rested on test day ... keep your answers short and simple.

3. Dimick's "Clinical Scenarios in Surgery: Decision Making and Operative Technique": This was a book that I used during residency and I really liked it. I think this is important to use during your chief years in training. This will give you a solid foundation that you can then expand on during dedicated oral boards studying.

4. PassMachine: This was a little bit better than Osler but they had less scenarios, and similar to Osler, they also used real people in their videos. So same problem here - you risk learning the wrong answers. I did like their examiners more and thought they did a better job during the debriefs. But the candidates in their videos were way worse than Oslers. Maybe if you switched the examiners from PassMachine and the candidates in the Osler videos you would get a better result!

5. Behind the Knife General Surgery Oral Boards Audio Review: I like these guys a lot and definitely used their material for ABSITE. I don't remember ever needing to pay for any of their ABSITE stuff but podcasts for ABSITE works really well because you can get away with a lot of recall memory. You don't need to have a deep understanding of the material to answer a multiple choice question and so hearing ABSITE factoids over and over again, and then seeing them again in question banks worked really well for me during residency. I didn't kill the ABSITE each year but got above 75th percentile consistently. For oral boards, podcasts don't really work well and so I didn't think this was too helpful, and a bit expensive for a podcast.

6. SurgBoards: From all the resources, this is definitely the best one. If I had it the first time around, and gave myself a bit more time, I know I would have been successful the first time around. They have more videos and scenarios than all the other prep companies. They also have a simulation module option for the videos which basically stops the video after the examiner asks the question, allowing you the chance to think about how you would answer the question. You could then read the answer and click continue to watch the candidate give the answer. The whole scenario is premeditated and so the answers are all correct which was huge. The only drawback I can think of for surgboards is its the same examiner and candidate for all the videos but they are both really good and so its ok but if you like variety that might bother you a bit. It didn't for me. I also did a couple of the intensive sessions over zoom which was incredibly helpful. On both of my oral boards, some of the scenarios were from the videos I did on surgboards so it definitely gave me an advantage.

If I could do it all over, I would red through the Dimick book during my last year of training, give myself 4 or 5 months to study for oral boards, watch all the SurgBoards videos two times with the module mode on, and try to do 15-20 mock oral board scenarios. I think if you do that, you will definitely pass.

The oral boards was a beast of an exam to study for. It feels great being on the other side, and you will be there too. Good luck guys and gals!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting. Back when I did Osler, it was in person and was really good. One of my former co-residents was in the same class, and when they'd run scenarios, it was nice to be next to someone to be like "wait, that's not right, is it?" and to just be able to get other feedback. You could check with others near you too. By the last day, we could more or less look around the room and pick out people who were definitely going to fail, and people who would absolutely rock it. I definitely think simply watching videos wouldn't have been nearly as helpful.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting. Back when I did Osler, it was in person and was really good. One of my former co-residents was in the same class, and when they'd run scenarios, it was nice to be next to someone to be like "wait, that's not right, is it?" and to just be able to get other feedback. You could check with others near you too. By the last day, we could more or less look around the room and pick out people who were definitely going to fail, and people who would absolutely rock it. I definitely think simply watching videos wouldn't have been nearly as helpful.
Good point! That would have been helpful. I kinda liked the comfort of studying from home though. And its funny you say that because on odyssey you can see the names of everyone, and I checked on the ABS site and about half in my class didn't pass. Some I was suprised at and some I was not.

Good point! That would have been helpful. I kinda liked the comfort of studying from home though. And its funny you say that because on odyssey you can see the names of everyone, and I checked on the ABS site and about half in my class didn't pass. Some I was suprised at and some I was not.

I did Gen surg in person and then did vascular remotely due to Covid. One of the things I liked about doing Osler in person was that I was in a busy fellowship and the time away, like actually away where no one could call me to come in or bother me, was essential, and they gave me the time off like for a conference instead of making me use PTO. For vascular I was in practice and took PTO so it wasn’t a problem.

Overall the in person was better as a study aid although more painful and exhausting being in a hotel for 3+ days for 12+ hours a day. More convenient to do the remote version but you definitely lose something in the experience of being in person.

In person Osler is irreplaceable if it is an option and should more or less be a mandatory check box for >90% of board eligible surgeons. I honestly can think of only a view extremely personal/emergent reasons not to do the in person Osler course. It's expensive but some programs will cover it and if they don't it awards CME so nearly every job will allow you to use your first year's CME to take it and the personal cost is very tolerable. Getting three days of actual practice with live humans followed by taking the test was... just the correct way to do it. But I also took it right before Covid as others have said.

The virtual/remote exam format would not change my opinion of doing Osler in person if that is an option. If there is no in person option for Osler, then yes, there may very well be much better resources.

Surg/Onc boards only really have one prep course. Literally everyone takes it. They hold your hand and tell you what the questions are likely to be and what the answers will be regardless of the questions. Did that remote and found it 1000% better than the in person gen surg board format. Surg/onc though was just different. Without sounding arrogant, I do not know how anyone could go through two years of that fellowship and not be able to pass the oral boards (assuming that they overcame exam fear and passed the gen surg boards) because there are in fact finite cancers and there's only so many ways to deal with them. They will absolutely have been beaten into you at that point. You could probably skip the review course and just pretend that each case scenario is something being presented at tumor board, regurgitate NCCN, and pass 15/16 of the scenarios comfortably.

I ended up doing Osler remotely just the review vids of other people going through scenarios and then doing my vascular surgery oral boards via Zoom. To be honest, felt pretty prepared going in. Like @Lem0nz said, there are only so many things that they can ask you on vascular, and most of it you've already dealt with in training or during didactics.

I don't know if anyone else did this, but I found myself actually talking out loud through various scenarios, operations, options when troubleshooting complications, etc. Doing that helped me figure out how to better word certain things and avoid verbal clutter. For me the big win was doing orals via Zoom. Not having to travel and getting to sleep in my own bed was amazing. If given a choice, I'd always opt for the Zoom option now. Plus the suit coat, shirt + tie combo with no pants on can't be beat.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Passed this exam finally :):giggle::1geek::D:p!

I was dreading this thing so much. I took it the first time unprepared and was unsuccessful. I studied my absite NOTES from residency for 3 or 4 weeks ... so obviously failed! I had just started a new job and was trying to build up my practice and just didn't give this exam the respect it deserved. This time, I gave myself a lot of time to prepare. I only used surgboards because all my coresidents I graduated with said that's all they used and passed the first time. I did the modules everyday for about an hour or two after work for 3 months and near the end of the 3 months I set up all my practice sessions almost back to back. This worked really well for me, and I am so happy to be finally done with this. I also had more than a few scenarios that were similar to the modules on surgboards. highly recommended.

Reactions: 2 users
I was lucky because my residency program did mock orals regularly and not just for the final year residents. Nothing replaces the terror of answering questions in front of other people ESPECIALLY if you don't know the answer. My best resource for this was an ENT doc who did a private session with me before my test (I had stayed on as an attending for a year and had worked with him a lot so he was happy to help) and asked me ent board **** that he knew I had no reason to know. He did it to help me come up with a better reaction than a blank stare. I didn't do a course because it wasn't paid for (my residency did pay for pass machine for qualifying exam and I thought it was super helpful and it is currently on sale for 300 bucks off using code GSQ300 and you can use my ambassador code for an extra 50 bucks egift card to you and to me-full disclosure AMB25973 for this class or the certifying exam one just fyi) but I tend to zone out in large in person classes so I doubt one would have been helpful to me anyway. I read Neff's passing the general surgery oral board exam and the university of michigan surgery oral board review that I got as pdf's from someone and reviewed the topics that gave me the most trouble the day before the exam. First time pass.

For anyone who took CE via zoom, how many days did you have to wait for results? ABS says within 10 business days but didn’t know if scores were released prior to day 10. Thanks!