Has anyone been accepted to UT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
where is everyone getting their numbers from...? i just want to get in =/

seriously...I'm thinking the exact same thing. I just want to get in already... :(

Members don't see this ad.

I personally know of two students who have PCAT scores around 95 and above with GPAs in the upper 3.4 to 3.6 range that go to UT who have not been accepted yet. There is no way these students will not be accepted to the pharmacy school. Therefore, that can only mean that the committee has not had a chance to review all the applicants regardless of when they interviewed. Believe me, the school does not want to have only 20 spots left if they haven't reviewed all the applicants. They would not put themselves in that position. They want to select students who they know can make it through a tough 4 year curriculum without dropping out. It only hurts the school and the profession if students do not graduate. My best guess is 50 spots have probably been filled.

Note to bamobrien. I know your stats and I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just hang in there a little longer. You have great extra curriculur activites too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally know of two students who have PCAT scores around 95 and above with GPAs in the upper 3.4 to 3.6 range that go to UT who have not been accepted yet. There is no way these students will not be accepted to the pharmacy school. Therefore, that can only mean that the committee has not had a chance to review all the applicants regardless of when they interviewed. Believe me, the school does not want to have only 20 spots left if they haven't reviewed all the applicants. They would not put themselves in that position. They want to select students who they know can make it through a tough 4 year curriculum without dropping out. It only hurts the school and the profession if students do not graduate. My best guess is 50 spots have probably been filled.

My boyfriend just read through this post. He is an entering 1L (Law school).

Your logic is flawed in about every imaginable way. Since when does the UT Pharmacy school automatically accept students with a 95 PCAT and a lackluster 3.4 to 3.6 GPA? Citing an average won't cut it. Averages are not binding acceptance envelopes.

"There is no way these students will not be accepted to the pharmacy school. Therefore, that can only mean that the committee has not had a chance to review all the applicants regardless of when they interviewed."

This is so flawed, it hurts. Your premise is a personal, and desperate at that, view that the UT Pharmacy school will deem your two friends invaluable. Your conclusion, which is based on the aforementioned premise, is therefore flawed as well. Further, you cannot add into your conclusion that you know anything at all about whether or not the time of the interview affects anything! You have no clue!

In order to be competitive at the UT Pharmacy school, you really need a 3.6+ GPA. In some cases, a 99 PCAT might help someone with a 3.4 GPA.

"My best guess is 50 spots have probably been filled."

And that is worth ... ?

I must have missed something. Why are people arguing about how many spots are left? As someone said earlier, I just want to get in. I don't care if I guessed the correct amount of spots that are still open.

actually i was a member of the texas pre-pharmacy association and dr. wilcox showed us a graph that showed that the 3.4-3.6 range of applicants has the highest number acceptances. you're just pulling numbers and justifications out of thin air, frances. ok, there's no such thing as an automatic acceptance but stats in that range are competitive. also what does law school have to do with pharmacy school, the acceptance processes are not very comparable. Ut may be the #2 in the country and is challenging to get into but i think you are overplaying the difficulty of acceptance if high 90s in the PCAT only 'help' someone with such a 'lackluster' gpa when I know for a fact that the PCAT is being weighted relatively heavily this year.

yeah this is getting out of hand, you're being a bit rude frances. i just want to get in. thanks for the encouragement txrph though! all i know is it could 20 spots or 100 spots open, i'm with mike and txpharm2b, as long as there are more than 0 i just want one. 'i dont care how many jellybeans are in the jar! just gimme some man! tell you what, you guess how many i want. if you said a handful you are correct.' (mitch hedburg)

might i add that this whole thing started because 'mLe' who is only a P1 at ut pharm school made a guess at 20 spots left and presented it as fact which we already know is false according to willmadharp. oddly enough she hasn't posted since to confirm or deny anybody's ranting or her own information so i'm going to conclude even he/she knows it was bull. i'd probably do the same thing to yank pre-pharm kids too (just kidding?).

willmadharp are you in pharm school btw?

Did your dad tell you to post that, too?

I'm not being rude, I'm being realistic. There are not 172,102,398 spots left. There are not 85 spots left. There are not 2 spots left. There are not 65 spots left. There are ~20 spots left. Deal with it.

Good luck to everyone on the boards who has yet to receive notice.

where is twenty spots coming from? =/

I know for a fact that the PCAT is being weighted relatively heavily this year.

Wow? Really? You know for a fact? Are you in direct contact with someone that is on the UT Pharmacy Admission Committee? I mean, I'm not saying that such a committee exists. I would assume that such a committee exists.

btw its not the slots that are coming off as rude, its you seem to be attacking people rather than their arguments.

btw its not the slots that are coming off as rude, its you seem to be attacking people rather than their arguments.

Completely invalid. I am only attacking their arguments and flawed reasoning. You can't base a conclusion on a premise based on an assumption that is assumed to be true, when in fact, it is not true!

the dad bit for will and the bringing in your boyfriend and how you had a great chuckle about 'how much it hurt' how illogical what someone said was seems rude.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow? Really? You know for a fact? Are you in direct contact with someone that is on the UT Pharmacy Admission Committee? I mean, I'm not saying that such a committee exists. I would assume that such a committee exists.

yes. i do.

furthermore my brother is applying this year so my dad wrote on his behalf so no my dad has nothing to do with the motives of me posting anything other than i thought i'd be constructive and post what i know because i know how much it sucks to be waiting.

i might add that your premise that i did not know someone in the admissions committee was based on the assumption that someone would not have the altruism to be posting to help sdn posters and so your conclusion that it was ok post your snarky little comment was illogical and therefore foolish.

yes. i do.

furthermore my brother is applying this year so my dad wrote on his behalf so no my dad has nothing to do with the motives of me posting anything other than i thought i'd be constructive and post what i know because i know how much it sucks to be waiting. also if you are going to ut pharmacy right now i have a pretty good idea of who you are and i am suprised at how much you like to antagonize nervous applicants. please don't use anonymity as an excuse to be mean.

i might add that your premise that i did not know someone in the admissions committee was based on the assumption that someone would not have the altruism to be posting to help sdn posters and so your conclusion that it was ok post your snarky little comment was illogical and therefore foolish.

You lost me in your explanation, but finally you realize (sorta) how to structure a valid argument! Anyway, good luck to you.

It looks like I have created quite an uproar. I heard some people talking between classes during our last week that ~20 spots were left. However, I am not on the admissions committee! If someone has spoken with Dr. Wilcox about the number of spots available then I am sure that is far more valid than any rumors in the hallways. However, I am pretty sure that the last committee meeting is tomorrow, so good luck to everyone!

I seem to have hit a nerve with Frances. I have been a pharmacist for 25 years and graduated from UT in 1982, and I think I have some historical perspective on what UT looks for in a candidate. My best friend interviews the applicants. My post was to offer encouragement and support to those still waiting when I know how many excellent students there are that haven't heard back. Hopefully Frances will follow her boyfriend into law and not pharmacy due to the argumentative tone in her post. Good luck everyone. If I can be of help to any of you please let me know.

I'm sorry that all of the waiting is making some of you guys go crazy. I can't imagine how stressful it is to be done with the semester and not know where you are going to live/how your life is going to end up in the Fall. I would say don't worry about the spots b/c worrying won't make any difference-but I know I was checking my email and sdn compulsively after my interview so I probably don't have any room to talk. As far as the pcat-gpa situation goes, I'm sure all of you know that professional schools want a well-rounded person. If someone has a 99% pcat and 4.0 but is socially ******ed in the interview, they probably won't get in. On the other hand, a high pcat and gpa will probably get you in the group that they consider you more closely. I know of someone who had a 4.0/99 who didn't get in last year after the interview. But, I also know someone this year who just didn't have high enough scores to even be considered for an interview. I talked to someone who is a professor in the pharmacy and she said that if you get an interview with the school, you have a pretty good chance of getting in. So, if you got an interview-you have the stats! Anyways, I hope all of this turns out for the best and that I will see you all in the fall!

Hey, Frances.

I have a degree in philosophy so I know a little about logic and how to structure an argument. These are important tools that can be used to advance and elevate a discussion. A good example is in scientific journals where careful consideration of facts and reasoning helps to weed out errors and identify advances.

But this thread is not a refereed journal. Nor is it a court of law. It's a community. People post on this thread to lean on each other and cheer each other on. So logic dictates that there is really no point in berating people on this thread for not being more stringent with their facts or conclusions. Part of the careful construction of a good argument is a consideration of context and the context in this case precludes argument. This thread is not about proving points, it's simply about commiserating and camaraderie. What's to debate about that?

Furthermore, I think you'll notice that the best and brightest scientific and legal minds tend to refrain from ridiculing others and are careful to be neutral, rather than insulting. I understand the impulse to sound smart by pointing out others' mistakes. But I think you'll find, upon reflection, that such behavior is often driven by emotion or ego and is, therefore, inherently irrational. (As a case in point, you might consider saving your posts and then re-reading them a few years from now to see how they sound to you.)

So, that being said, good on you for caring about facts, but, you know... relax. We're all just trying to get through the waiting game.

I agree this thread and website were probably the main reasons I was able to get in. I think we should be focusing on encouraging each other and assisting one another in every way possible. Ya never know, you might be needing help from someone on this forum during pharmacy school one day!

Good luck to everyone who hasn't heard back yet, the fact that you are on this forum shows that your dedication to pharmacy is strong! And to all those already in, keep joining my facebook group, UT-Austin College of Pharmacy CO 2011!

damn I don't check this forum for one day and I miss out on all the action :D. I haven't heard anything and for me the best way I have been able to deal with the waiting is to stay busy... Good luck to everyone for tomorrow's committee meeting and if it's meant to be...... it's meant to be :thumbup:

for anyone who is already accepted to UT and UH. If you are going to UT can you please hurry up and inform UH pharm school, cause I'm on the waitlist...:D

for anyone who is already accepted to UT and UH. If you are going to UT can you please hurry up and inform UH pharm school, cause I'm on the waitlist...:D

I wrote my letter to them last week, I hope they got it!

So you are giving up on UT?

agreeed....please please hurry:) Just to get a headcount....how many people have been accepted to UT and are turning down UH?

Y'alls responses will be greatly apprecaited =D.

I wrote my letter to them last week, I hope they got it!

So you are giving up on UT?

I'm not exactly giving up on UT, but I'm preparing for the worst... :oops:

I let UH know earlier this week that I was turning down their acceptance, so hopefully you all will be getting some good news whether it be UT or UH.

I let UH know earlier this week that I was turning down their acceptance, so hopefully you all will be getting some good news whether it be UT or UH.

What makes some of you choose UH or UT or vice versas. I'm just curious that's all. I didn't apply to UH. Thanks.

I'd pick UT over UH just because I've taken my undergrad here and the commute to school isn't as bad as if I were to go to UH.(30-45min) (they're pretty stupid reasons...but both pharmacy schools are great so I had to evaluate some other way. lol )

Any news from 3rd rounders getting in?

Good luck to the ppl that are still waiting. I heard that there are some applicants that haven't even received any response from UT. No letter of rejection, no interview request, nothing. So you should be proud of yourself for gaining an interview at this stage.

What makes some of you choose UH or UT or vice versas. I'm just curious that's all. I didn't apply to UH. Thanks.

Same reason for me really...I did my undergrad degree here so it would be nice to stay-I love Austin. Plus they have a really good psych residency program which is what I want to go in to eventually. I loved Houston too though.

Any news from 3rd rounders getting in?

I got an e-mail on May 7th saying my application was going to be reviewed on the 10th and to expect to hear something the week of May 21st.

letters have actually been going out in this intermittent period between the 7th and 10th too. a friend got one on the 10th. i think the week of the 21st may be the latest we should expect a letter. any word on how the waiting list might work?

can any current student tell us whether an email should be going out anytime soon for the may 10th meeting? usually about 2 days after the meeting they've been sending out the acceptance emails but for the may 10th meeting they told us to expect a letter in the snail mail the week of the 21st...so are they not sending any emails for this meeting?

I got in! I just got the email at about 1030 this morning. Good luck to everyone still waiting.

congrats. i guess this means they are sending out emails.

I GOT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you GOD!!!!!!!! :laugh:

I got the email too, I am so relieved and happy that the wait is finally over!

I got in too!!! I am so excited :) :):luck:

congrats to everyone who just found out they got in!!! im very happy for you guys especially since I see ya'll post on here so often. ANYWWAAAYYYZZZ you know what to do, go join my facebook group!

I GOT IN!!! :) omg, long day drive from austin--and got a GREAT email in Houston. IM SO HAPPY!! congrats to everyone and hope to see you guys next year :)

first of all congrats to all of u!!!! looks like i'm the only one who did not get the email today :( i have no idea what to expect now...this is truly very frustrating :scared:

looks like i'm the only one who did not get the email today :( i have no idea what to expect now...this is truly very frustrating :scared:

Don't feel like the lone ranger. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

i guess we really shouldn't give up hope if and until the dreaded letter comes....we might be waitlisted...which would still be better than a rejection! i really hate this though.:confused:

exactly... as long as you don't receive the rejection letter, then u still have a chance. I talked to one of my pharm friends and he said a few of his friends were on the waitlist and kept emailing Dr. Wilcox and he ended up moving them to the top of the list. They ended up getting in. So don't lose hope. I want you guys in :) cause you all have been a great support group for me the past several months :)

Congrats on those who just found out today. I totally can feel what you felt today since I felt it a couple of weeks ago. I look 4ward to meeting u all. I think we've been a supportive/encouraging community although we dunno each other in person yet. I hope we continue to be a supportive group throughout the next 4 years.

For those that are still waiting, keep @ it. It's persistence sometimes. I don't think it's just intelligence that gets u somewhere. Definitely hardwork, persistence and supportive family/friends is part of the recipe. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you guys that are still waiting.

thanks for the encouragement and support everyone...it really means a lot...the thought of a rejection letter just scares me..plus the email we got last week said not to call or email them until the week of the 21st so can't do that either. I guess we'll have to be patient still but cant stop being worried!:scared:

Never give up hope, everything happens for a reason. so if it's meant to be it will be.