Harvard vs UF (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Japo237

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between Harvard and UFCD. I am highly interested in specializing which causes me to lean towards Harvard but I also plan to practice in Florida which gives UF the upper hand. As far as tuition goes my parents are willing to pay half of my Harvard tuition which would bring the debt load to pretty comparable amounts.
School 1: Harvard

Pros:
  • Specialization Rate
  • Boston is an amazing city
  • Medical Curriculum
  • Vast amount of opportunities outside of Dentistry
  • P/F
  • The name
Cons:
  • Price
  • Less clinical time
School 2: UFCD (IS)
Pros:
  • Strong network in Florida
  • Close to home
  • Cheap
  • Strong clinic
Cons:
  • More barriers to Specializing
  • Out dated facilities
  • Gainesville

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Harvard at half-tuition? Sounds like a no brainer, especially since you know you want to specialize

Reactions: 1 users
As far as tuition goes my parents are willing to pay half of my Harvard tuition which would bring the debt load to pretty comparable amounts.
This means they are planning to pass down the money to you anyway. The more you take from the pot now, the less you have for later!

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as tuition goes my parents are willing to pay half of my Harvard tuition which would bring the debt load to pretty comparable amounts.
More wisely, have your parents put that money into UF. That way, you're essentially attending UF tuition free and will leave with a debt load you can pay off much much more easily, probably even within a couple of years.

Reactions: 3 users
If costs are equivalent, P/F, opportunities, alumni network would sway me to go to Harvard, but if your parents instead are able to put that money into UF, then I think being debt free might even be better!

If costs are equivalent, P/F, opportunities, alumni network would sway me to go to Harvard, but if your parents instead are able to put that money into UF, then I think being debt free might even be better!
Couldn’t agree more. Sounds like parents would pay for the cheaper school which is 100% the way to go.

If you're smart enough to get into Harvard, you're smart enough to specialize in anything at UF, including Ortho and OMFS

Reactions: 2 users
I don’t know if your parents will put the money towards UF, but if it were me I would go to Harvard at half tuition.

the premium for Pass/Fail, med school curriculum, living in Boston, the Harvard network, Harvard name/pedigree, and having every door open to you to begin with instead of having to hustle would be worth it to me given my professional goals.

That being said, it depends on what your professional goals are. If you’re shooting for the top, to be the next Dean of X dental school or Academic positions at top universities or whatever, something where pedigree can help a ton, then absolutely Harvard. If you just want to own a private practice Specialty office near your family in Florida, then probably UF.

just something for your confirmation bias in case you needed it.