Harvard School of Public Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zahazie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A new thread to harmonize posts regarding Harvard. I think a few people have already received admissions decisions.
I applied for the MPH program - but still no news...
Who else is waiting? Have you been contacted by FinAid?

Members don't see this ad.

Applied to HPM. Still waiting. Was contacted by finaid for info on a selfnominated scholarship. Opinion is divided as to whether signifies good news or not. GH & behavioural seem to be the depts which have released acceptances. Anyone wt other insights?

I'm still waiting...
I applied to the SM2 program in Society, Human Development, and Health. I noticed that someone on here was already accepted to that program and thus far, there have been no rejections. Maybe they're just waiting to send out my rejection after the acceptances have been sent?
I submitted my application around Mid-November and I received the application complete email on 12/3. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Applied to HPM. Still waiting. Was contacted by finaid for info on a selfnominated scholarship. Opinion is divided as to whether signifies good news or not. GH & behavioural seem to be the depts which have released acceptances. Anyone wt other insights?

bizzle4rizzle: i was wondering how you know that gh & behavioural have begun releasing acceptances, and if those are for the mph or sm2 applications? thank you so much, fingers crossed as well!

Well,i got to know from the few acceptances posted here. I made a mistake abt the 2nd dept, its d society, human devt & health. Am not sure of the type of degrees but i knw dat rememba that one of the GH acceptances was for MPH.

Accepted to the above program on 2/27/09. Applied in December, barely made it to the deadline thanks to Sophas. Good Luck to everyone else.

Congrats healthmgt! Is it for MPH or SM? Was d online portal updated or u received an email? Thanks

According to thegradcafe admission results, there have been acceptances for the SM2 program in Global Health, but I haven't seen anything yet for the MPH.

I also received an email from finaid, but I also think that they are working independently of admissions - so I am not interpreting the email as good news (but not bad news either).

hi B4Z,

it was for MPH. i received an email stating my decision was ready for viewing. when you log in, the letter of acceptance is there as well as the whole admission package and invitation to their visit day. i was surprised at the early acceptance since i had spoken to HSPH a week earlier and they said that the decisions will be mailed out between early to mid march. good luck to you.

Rejected from Harvard's Master's of Health Management program :(

I guess it makes the decision to go the Michigan that much easier! Go Blue1

HPMMajor, so sorry to hear this. Were you an applicant for SM2? Did you receive any emails from finaid last week? Good luck with Michigan...they have an outstanding program too.

Thank you

Yes, I applied to the 80 Credit program.

I did receive an email last week from Fin Aid asking me to clarify information about a scholarship, which is odd. Why ask about scholarship info if you aren't going to admit me to the program?! Kinda got my hopes up. I understand they operate independently but it seems to be a waste of resources

HPMMajor, I agree. Not sure why finaid works on our files if there's no reason to do so. I visited that office and it's really small with hardly any staff. Michigan is an awesome school so there's no shame in that! do you mind sharing your background info with us? i am like the rest of the gang here and can't concentrate on anything til i find out my status with them. i was getting my hopes up but now i am proceeding very cautiously. did you get an email or were you just checking online? thanks for sharing with us!

Members don't see this ad :)
don't get your hopes up! I applied straight out of undergrad and did not think I would be accepted anyway. I received an email from them today with a Login ID and Pin which led me to a page with a letter saying I wasn't admitted. It was hard to read, but expected.

I couldn't be happier with Michigan, it was my first choice but it would have been awesome to know I had other first-class options if things fell through w Michigan. Good luck with your applications!

Congratulations to those who were accepted and sorry to hear about the rejections (but I hope you guys had other great offers).
It appears that HSPH has started sending out rejections letters for most programs, so it doesn't bode well for those of us who haven't heard yet...:confused:

Congratulations to those who were accepted and sorry to hear about the rejections (but I hope you guys had other great offers).
It appears that HSPH has started sending out rejections letters for most programs, so it doesn't bode well for those of us who haven't heard yet...:confused:

Should I not have hope? I'm still hoping!

it appears the online portal is no longer functioning as a "status" portal...

I haven't seen any admissions/rejections posted for the SM Epidemiology yet...

I emailed Admissions this morning, and this was their response:

"Your application is under review in the department at this time. The applications go through two reviews--departmental and Committee on Admissions and Degrees. We send electronic admissions decisions after the review processes.We anticipate that all applicants will receive a decision by the end of the month."

I applied for the MSc in Global Health and Population. There's still a chance!

Hello, just wondering if anyone had heard anything regarding the Family % Community Health Stream of MPH? I havent seen anything on the posts?

I logged in the http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/admissions/admissionsstatus.shtml today,
and it shows like this:

XXX,

This tracking system is used by us to notify you if any parts of your application have not been received and thereby preventing the application from being reviewed. If you have any questions about your application,
please call us at 617-432-1031.

The Following Official Test Scores:

GREV, GREAW, GREQ

(Test scores are considered official only if sent to HSPH or SOPHAS directly from the testing center)

Official Transcripts From (If you sent official copies to SOPHAS, this is fine for the application review. If you are selected for admission, you will need to submit official copies of these documents to HSPH prior to matriculation.):

XXX University

Any additional information, if necessary, appears below:

Miss Lee - your folder will be sent to the review committee in January; decisions made in Feb/March - Ron

Does it means they did not recieve my GRE score?????????
They send an e-mail few months ago, and said my application was complete and ready for review. How come it shows like this??

Help plz~~~~~

accepted via email with link to website!! sm2 program in ghp. limited loans.

yuank - i would not worry about your online status message. my status was misleading for a long time as well.

Accepted via email. HPM program.

Lotsa loans though so I'm gonna stick with a full ride to Hopkins.

Just wondering if anyone is getting any aid aside from loans? All I'm getting is $33K in loans per year.. not worth the name recognition to go $60K into debt..

Mannywood, you have a full ride to Hopkins?I thot they hadnt announced scholarships yet?

I just heard back from Harvard last Friday (2/27), I was accepted into the SM2 epidemiology program. The financial aid package is a lot of loans, and I've been accepted into some doctoral programs, so its some hard decisions. They may still be sending out notices though, good luck : )

Just FYI...
It seemed as though most people in the program I applied to had already heard (and been accepted), so I emailed Harvard to inquire about the status of my application. I was assuming that acceptances were given out first, and rejections would follow...so I was just curious if I had been rejected.

I received a prompt response and was informed that applicants are informed as soon as a decision is made, whether it be an acceptance or rejection. Anyway, applications are still under review...
Perhaps my application is in limbo...but at least it hasn't been rejected, yet.

For those of you that have heard from the SM2 program in Epi...did you get an email acceptance or was it through postal mail?

Thanks!!

For those of you that have heard from the SM2 program in Epi...did you get an email acceptance or was it through postal mail?

Thanks!!

I received my acceptance via email directing me to log into my acct.

Just FYI...
It seemed as though most people in the program I applied to had already heard (and been accepted), so I emailed Harvard to inquire about the status of my application. I was assuming that acceptances were given out first, and rejections would follow...so I was just curious if I had been rejected.

I received a prompt response and was informed that applicants are informed as soon as a decision is made, whether it be an acceptance or rejection. Anyway, applications are still under review...
Perhaps my application is in limbo...but at least it hasn't been rejected, yet.

I also haven't heard anything at all from HSPH - but I have seen several acceptances for the program I applied to, and I was also under the impression that acceptances were sent first and then rejections.
How much longer will we have to wait to find out??

I also haven't heard anything at all from HSPH - but I have seen several acceptances for the program I applied to, and I was also under the impression that acceptances were sent first and then rejections.
How much longer will we have to wait to find out??

I have friends with great applications and merits who have been accepted to HSPH previous years and almost all of them heard back in the last two weeks of March so I'm not too sure about that "first the best - then the rest" theory. There is still a good chance to recieve positive feedback and financial aid.

Accepted to HSPH Doctor of Science in Epi! :) Again, a link in an email to my online decision.

i am getting the strange message on my status link. when you get accepted does the email direct you to a new link or do you receive your decision through the same mechanism before? congrats to those who have heard. i am HOPING i can find out before the weekend...ugh!

Hey Guys, received word about 10:00am Boston Time (about 2am here time!) of acceptance into the Family and Community Health Stream of MPH. Notified by email to accept: same screen as per previously. Interestingly, I thought something was happening because the Admissions notice screen had changed a small amount yesterday (deleted the "your file is ready for review"). Anyway, good luck to those still waiting!

i am getting the strange message on my status link. when you get accepted does the email direct you to a new link or do you receive your decision through the same mechanism before? congrats to those who have heard. i am HOPING i can find out before the weekend...ugh!

I actually just accessed it the "old" way (the login from the application complete status emails). I had it bookmarked so that was easiest. Either way works.

I found out yesterday via e-mail (link to status page) that I was accepted to SM2 in Global Health and Population. Very excited!!!

Financial Aid for me at HSPH was also a bunch of loans. It looks like Hopkins has a better deal for MHS students (75% tuition reduction for the second year).

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences to share on Hopkins vs. Harvard for global health, in particular incorporating bioethics into public health? Seems like Harvard has some great faculty to work with but Hopkins has a better reputation for Int'l health overall? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Congrats to those recently accepted--Good luck to people waiting!

I'm getting so sick of waiting! It's killing me! Anyone else out there, or has everyone already heard?

I'm getting so sick of waiting! It's killing me! Anyone else out there, or has everyone already heard?

I haven't heard yet. I feel your agony, really.
I contacted them and was told it's still under review. But, I submitted in November, so I don't know...

i can't tell if the status change is a good thing or not. i was told by admissions that once you get that message your email is coming, but now i have to wait til monday....arrrggghhh

as for waiting..this is pure agony:scared: hang in there...the decision will come eventually. seems like they are processing decisions every day now.

G:thumbup::thumbup:D LUCK!!

I called the admission office on 3/4 9:00am Boston time to ask about my GRE problem, then I got an e-mail at 10:00am to link to my account......
got admitted to the SM2 epi program!!!!

The lady in the office told me that they're making decisions from now to the end of March.

Good luck to those who are still waiting!!!!:xf:

To those who have been admitted to HSPH:

What are other schools that gave you admission?
Will you go to Harvard?

I was admitted to Harvard for the SM program in Society, Human Development, and Health, but I will probably not be attending due to the enormous cost. I also did not receive any financial awards and all the financial offers on my finaid page are loans as well. I was also admitted to Emory for BSHE, UCLA for CHS, and BU for SBS. I have already informed BU I will not be attending there, and I am waiting to hear about Emory's financial package before I decide whether to turn down their offer as well. Since I live in California I will most likely attend UCLA because of the low cost for in-state residents. (30K for total tuition versus 80K for Harvard)

Accepted to HSPH Doctor of Science in Epi! :) Again, a link in an email to my online decision.

Congrats! I originally applied to that program but they put me into the SM program because, according to the director of admissions, I don't have a masters yet. Do you mind me asking what type of experience you had previous? I'm just trying to get a feel of the expectations for the doctoral program because that's what I'm eventually interested in

Congrats! I originally applied to that program but they put me into the SM program because, according to the director of admissions, I don't have a masters yet. Do you mind me asking what type of experience you had previous? I'm just trying to get a feel of the expectations for the doctoral program because that's what I'm eventually interested in

It is not at all unusual to not be accepted to a doctoral program without a masters, at least in public health (and particularly in epidemiology). In fact, I think very few schools offer the option of doctorate to non-masters candidates. A doctorate is a big commitment, and I think they want to be sure that you really know what epi is all about and that it is a field in which you excel. Because it is closely tied to medicine, many people who do not get into med school or decide med school is not for them end up applying to epi programs without really knowing what it's all about. I don't have confirmation of this, but in my opinion, the goal of the masters requirement is to weed out people like this who might not really know what they are getting themselves into. After all, no program wants a bad attritition rate. This is, of course, not to say that you aren't familiar with epi if you don't have a masters.

I am currently finishing up my MPH at the University of Washington. I actually came straight to the program from undergrad, but have had part-time experience at several well-known health organizations (i.e. CDC). I also had some research experience as an undergrad, and have been a research assistant at the UW while completing my degree. I know what epi is all about, and I love it. If you'd like more info, please feel free to PM me. Congrats on the Harvard acceptance, even if you were hoping for the doctorate, that's fantastic!

i can't tell if the status change is a good thing or not. i was told by admissions that once you get that message your email is coming, but now i have to wait til monday....arrrggghhh

as for waiting..this is pure agony:scared: hang in there...the decision will come eventually. seems like they are processing decisions every day now.

G:thumbup::thumbup:D LUCK!!

Good Luck - I hope you receive good news today!!
My status hasn't even changed yet - so I guess I won't be getting a reply today either... :(

Ditto for me. SM2 Epi reject. Apparently our emails were sent out about the same time. It's a big of an ego blow, but I'm very happy with other acceptances. Best wishes to those still waiting!

Ditto for me. SM2 Epi reject. Apparently our emails were sent out about the same time. It's a big of an ego blow, but I'm very happy with other acceptances. Best wishes to those still waiting!

I guess the epi program sent out a bunch of rejections this afternoon- I was rejected from the DS epi program. Ohhh well...

rejected today :( oh well.... was nervous about the costs anyway....i am thrilled to know my direction....

Accepted today - email with link to admission site. :)
No mention of financial aid, though...

Got placed on their waitlist for SM2- Health Policy & Management. I haven't seen anything about waitlists on this forum yet. Anyone know what the chances are of getting of the list?