Harvard MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ulysses72

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Anyone applying for the Harvard MPH fall 2011?
I thought I would start an application thread.
I attended the Summer Session on Public Health Studies there this past summer, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The courses I took were fantastic!
Does anybody know when we can anticipate hearing from them?
Thanks and good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi,
Anyone applying for the Harvard MPH fall 2011?
I thought I would start an application thread.
I attended the Summer Session on Public Health Studies there this past summer, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The courses I took were fantastic!
Does anybody know when we can anticipate hearing from them?
Thanks and good luck to everyone.

What degree do you have prior to applying?

Yes. Have applied and waiting for a response. I attended the summer session as well .. thought it was very good!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello.

I've been looking at program's across North America and England, I think the summer program offered at Harvard is the best fit so I can continue meeting the clinical requirements of my fellowship and research interests.

I think the major factor affecting the timing of an application would be securing a source to flip the tuition bill, which I don' t see myself doing personally. The ball would be in my program's court. Take care

Is the Dec 15th deadline for MPH refer to the mailing of your application by SOPHAS or the submission of everything to SOPHAS? My application has not been mailed yet although I submitted before Dec 15th. Thoughts?

For Harvard Dec. 15 means everything must be sitting in front of their admissions committee by that date , not just e-submitted to SOPHAS. (ie SOPHAS should have mailed out your COMPLETED application to HSPH on or before the 15th)

I don't know whether or not they would still consider your application; you might want to contact HSPH, especially if you e-submitted well before the deadline.

Also keep in mind I'm just a fellow applicant, and am basing my response off what I gathered from their website when I was getting ready to apply.

For Harvard Dec. 15 means everything must be sitting in front of their admissions committee by that date , not just e-submitted to SOPHAS. (ie SOPHAS should have mailed out your COMPLETED application to HSPH on or before the 15th)

I don't know whether or not they would still consider your application; you might want to contact HSPH, especially if you e-submitted well before the deadline.

Also keep in mind I'm just a fellow applicant, and am basing my response off what I gathered from their website when I was getting ready to apply.

https://portal.sophas.org/applicants2011/faq/deadlines.shtml

Q: What does my school require by the deadline in order for my application to be considered?
A: Each school has its own requirements. Please see the chart below for details regarding what each school expects by the deadline date.

Harvard School of Public Health

E-submit their application to SOPHAS and all required documents received by SOPHAS

This is on the HSPH website:

"Please complete your application with SOPHAS by the stated deadlines to ensure delivery of your application to HSPH for review. This includes submitting all transcripts, test scores, and letters of recommendation to be received by SOPHAS on or before stated deadlines."

I took this to mean everything must be done by Dec 15, but I guess it doesn't really mention if SOPHAS should have already mailed the app out before this day. Anyways, I would be kind of worried if it was more than two weeks past the deadline and it still hasn't been mailed by SOPHAS. I would confirm with HSPH either way.

ALSO, just to warn other applicants. I would not count that SOPHAS chart which RAMPA posted above as a definitive guide. I've already found some inconsistencies with what the chart says and what schools websites/ office of admissions have said. When in doubt, consult the school itself do not rely on the SOPHAS Q&A's.

Last edited:
This is on the HSPH website:

"Please complete your application with SOPHAS by the stated deadlines to ensure delivery of your application to HSPH for review. This includes submitting all transcripts, test scores, and letters of recommendation to be received by SOPHAS on or before stated deadlines."

This just means that the application and all its documentation need to be to Sophas by the 15th. The review process of applications is ongoing through January-February and sometimes even March.:)

Hi,
Thanks for the replies.
I contacted the admission office at Harvard, and they confirmed that they begin reviewing applications after the December 15 deadline, and typically notify applicants in February/March...still a long time to go!
Good luck everyone!

Has anyone received an email from Harvard letting them know their application is complete? I only received an email informing me that I need to apply for financial aid, but no email verifying that they received my completed application.

I am not aware that Harvard sends an email to MPH applicants confirming receipt of application. SOPHAS performs that task, by verifying our applications, notifying us when our application is complete and informing us when the applicaiton is mailed to the schools of our choice.

I recently found these documents, compiled by the Association of Schools of Public Health, which detail acceptance rates into HSPH:

741/2111 (35.1%) - Incidentally, that acceptance rate was the lowest reported acceptance rate out of all US schools of public health in 2009.

769/2004 (38.4%)

703/1896 (37.1%)

It would be interesting to know what are the acceptance rates specific to the MPH, but I doubt the latter are published anywhere..

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone!
I am quite new here! I've also applied to MPH program in HSPH and awaiting response!
Does anyone know how it is possible to know who is in the selection committee?
thx!

i've applied for an SM II at HSPH .. does that count? :)

hey everyone!
I am quite new here! I've also applied to MPH program in HSPH and awaiting response!
Does anyone know how it is possible to know who is in the selection committee?
thx!

I know that faculty members from the relevant department are involved in the selection committee, i.e., if you are applying to the MPH, Global Health concentration, faculty members from the global health department are on the selection committee, and if you expressed interest in the Health Policy and Management concentration, faculty from the Health Policy and Management department will be on the selection committee. In addition, I presume there would be other people on the selection committee who are not affiliated with any department. As to how do you find out who exactly is on the admission committee, I am not sure. You could email the admissions office or the assistant dean I guess....but I wouldn't do that if I were you...

Hi,

I have applied for the MPH in clinical effectiveness and haven't heard anything yet.

good luck

I was an applicant last year (MPH Clin Effect) and was notified in March with the decision.

I was an applicant last year (MPH Clin Effect) and was notified in March with the decision.

Hey summervirus, just wondering, do you hear from HSPH via e-mail or snail mail? My application was mailed by SOPHAS on 11/23/2010 and I have not heard anything yet.

I heard by email initially. I don't think I received anything by snail mail until much later (something like late April or early May).

It was a long wait because the acceptance email in March was the first time I had heard from them since my initial submission.

I heard by email initially. I don't think I received anything by snail mail until much later (something like late April or early May).

It was a long wait because the acceptance email in March was the first time I had heard from them since my initial submission.

Hi summervirus, thanks for the information. As a current student, do you mind sharing your impressions on HSPH? How are the classes, the faculty, the facilities, how is living in Boston? Are you doing the full-time MPH or over three summers?

Hi Ulysses72,

I've been enjoying my experience at the HSPH. I feel pretty grateful to have this learning opportunity. I don't know very much about other programs because this is the only school I applied to so it's hard for me to compare. Nonetheless, it's exceeded my expectations.

I'm primarily doing my MPH over three summers but have been taking a few classes between summers too just to help fill in some knowledge gaps that I have. I'm a physician so I really like the summer program because it's geared specifically at clinicians with lots of applied courses. The faculty that I've been exposed to are really supportive, and everyone seems to really want to help the students learn. All my profs so far have consistently made themselves available for help outside of class and are quite open to answering questions about research projects that we're working on. The facilities are good -- but I would guess that most schools are pretty similar (e.g., big library, computer labs with appropriate software, good tech support, lots of researchers in surrounding hospitals, lots of visiting lecturers, etc.). For me, the biggest advantage to the HSPH program is the summer coursework because it's designed for physicians. Although some of the summer courses might be too "watered-down" for other students who are more "hardcore" (e.g., PhD/ScD students in biostats or epi, etc.), it still meets my needs. I deliberately try to avoid super theory-based courses...

Hi Ulysses72,

I've been enjoying my experience at the HSPH. I feel pretty grateful to have this learning opportunity. I don't know very much about other programs because this is the only school I applied to so it's hard for me to compare. Nonetheless, it's exceeded my expectations.

I'm primarily doing my MPH over three summers but have been taking a few classes between summers too just to help fill in some knowledge gaps that I have. I'm a physician so I really like the summer program because it's geared specifically at clinicians with lots of applied courses. The faculty that I've been exposed to are really supportive, and everyone seems to really want to help the students learn. All my profs so far have consistently made themselves available for help outside of class and are quite open to answering questions about research projects that we're working on. The facilities are good -- but I would guess that most schools are pretty similar (e.g., big library, computer labs with appropriate software, good tech support, lots of researchers in surrounding hospitals, lots of visiting lecturers, etc.). For me, the biggest advantage to the HSPH program is the summer coursework because it's designed for physicians. Although some of the summer courses might be too "watered-down" for other students who are more "hardcore" (e.g., PhD/ScD students in biostats or epi, etc.), it still meets my needs. I deliberately try to avoid super theory-based courses...

Thanks for your sharing your impressions, I am sure many here will find your post informative. I attended the HSPH Summer Session part II (3 weeks) last year, and I therefore caught a brief glimpse only of the school. I was impressed by the quality of the courses I took, and the faculty were outstanding. Boston is a great city to visit or to live in. I am also a physician, having just completed my residency in internal medicine, and I also find the summer-only option a very attractive one because one could potentially combine it with fellowship training or full-time clinical work.

Accepted via email today to the MPH, very happy!!

Congratulations Ulyssess!. Can you please share with us to what track you applied to?? The wait is killing me!

Congratulations Ulyssess!. Can you please share with us to what track you applied to?? The wait is killing me!

Thanks Euisa! I applied to the Global Health track, and I applied very early (SOPHAS mailed my completed application on 11/3/2010). Good luck to you!

Thanks Euisa! I applied to the Global Health track, and I applied very early (SOPHAS mailed my completed application on 11/3/2010). Good luck to you!
Big congrat to you Ulysses 72! Would you mind sharing with us your stats? Such as work experience, standarized test scores, GPA, publications, your other waiting choices, etc.

Since I have also applied to global health department at HSPH but still have not received any notified emails, waiting is really killing me!

Do you know something else about this acceptance? Such as the total number of applicants, whether or not this is the only bunch of admissions, etc. Did the admission letter ever mention any interesting thing like that? Thanks a lot!

Big congrat to you Ulysses 72! Would you mind sharing with us your stats? Such as work experience, standarized test scores, GPA, publications, your other waiting choices, etc.

Since I have also applied to global health department at HSPH but still have not received any notified emails, waiting is really killing me!

Do you know something else about this acceptance? Such as the total number of applicants, whether or not this is the only bunch of admissions, etc. Did the admission letter ever mention any interesting thing like that? Thanks a lot!

So what I heard is that they will be rolling out admissions in batches every friday until they are all out. That is the rumor around the school but whether or not this is true I don't know. But I do know for a fact that all admissions have not gone out. In fact most have not gone out :) But I am waiting too and it is pretty nerve wracking :confused:

Flyinthesky, sure, I am happy to share stats etc:

Degrees: MBBS, MSc (UK, Australia)
GRE: 1320, W5.0
Postgraduate training: Residency in Internal Medicine.
Professional: 4 years clinical medicine, 2 years UN development work, 1 year public policy, WHO internship.
Other: Attended Summer Session at Harvard in 2010, President Global Health Group in medical school. A few publications in medical journals, including Circulation.

SOPHAS mailed to Harvard: 11/03/2010.
Applied: Harvard MPH only (Global Health concentration)

Notifications will roll out in the next few weeks I believe, typically until mid March, so by all means do not worry if you haven't received any communication from them yet! I applied very early, perhaps that is why I got early response.

Good, good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
I'm eagerly waiting to hear from Harvard. It's my top choice, but I'm fearful my chances are slim.

Flyinthesky, sure, I am happy to share stats etc:

Degrees: MBBS, MSc (UK, Australia)
GRE: 1320, W5.0
Postgraduate training: Residency in Internal Medicine.
Professional: 4 years clinical medicine, 2 years UN development work, 1 year public policy, WHO internship.
Other: Attended Summer Session at Harvard in 2010, President Global Health Group in medical school. A few publications in medical journals, including Circulation.

SOPHAS mailed to Harvard: 11/03/2010.
Applied: Harvard MPH only (Global Health concentration)

Notifications will roll out in the next few weeks I believe, typically until mid March, so by all means do not worry if you haven't received any communication from them yet! I applied very early, perhaps that is why I got early response.

Good, good luck to everyone!

Really strong academic background! And your worldwide experience both on campus and in other organizations seems exactly what global health department is looking for. So you really deserve it!
btw, did they arrange any interview before admission?
Congrat!!!

Last edited:
I just have to say Harvard's wait time is killing me. Killing me! I have heard from every school I applied to but Harvard. I can't take the wait anymore!

Ok, I needed that freak out. I feel better now :).

I just have to say Harvard's wait time is killing me. Killing me! I have heard from every school I applied to but Harvard. I can't take the wait anymore!

Ok, I needed that freak out. I feel better now :).

Same here! I applied to Harvard's SM2 for Global Health. It is among my top choice schools. In one email HSPH sent, if I am remembering correctly, it said they mail financial awards along with acceptances? Could anyone confirm this?

Same here! I applied to Harvard's SM2 for Global Health. It is among my top choice schools. In one email HSPH sent, if I am remembering correctly, it said they mail financial awards along with acceptances? Could anyone confirm this?

Hmm, I don't know if they let you know at the same time. The email I received from the Harvard financial aid office didn't indicate that. But I can see them informing all at once, considering they are taking longer than the other schools to inform applicants.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Accepted to Harvard (Healthcare Management and Policy) !!!!!

Best of luck to everybody !!

Congrats tootootrain

I am so anxious to hear back from Harvard, this is the only school remaining for me.

I'm curious to know if any Global Health & Population folks have heard yet?

Accepted to Harvard (Healthcare Management and Policy) !!!!!

Best of luck to everybody !!
Congratulations Tootootrain!!! I plan on applying to the same program next year and was wondering if you could post your statistics that allowed you to be accepted to Harvard. I rarely see anyone post about applying to the healthcare management and policy track, so I welcome any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Congratulations Tootootrain!!! I plan on applying to the same program next year and was wondering if you could post your statistics that allowed you to be accepted to Harvard. I rarely see anyone post about applying to the healthcare management and policy track, so I welcome any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Sure thing! Here is my profile …
I completed med school (MBBS) from India. Subsequent residency completed 2008 (strong US program) with significant involvements in various aspects of hospital management during residency. Since then have been staff at one of the Harvard teaching hospitals where I have ongoing hospital management projects. My GRE stats are 530V/680Q/4.0 AW. Also attended summer session at HSPH last year (with a 3.3 GPA) and had one of the professors write me a letter of recommendation in addition to my own department's support.
Hope that helps!

Sure thing! Here is my profile …
I completed med school (MBBS) from India. Subsequent residency completed 2008 (strong US program) with significant involvements in various aspects of hospital management during residency. Since then have been staff at one of the Harvard teaching hospitals where I have ongoing hospital management projects. My GRE stats are 530V/680Q/4.0 AW. Also attended summer session at HSPH last year (with a 3.3 GPA) and had one of the professors write me a letter of recommendation in addition to my own department's support.
Hope that helps!

Congratulations on your good news. I was wondering if you were also given funding or any financial aid. This question is actually to all those who have been accepted to HSPH, were any of you given sccholarships as well in the acceptance letter.

Congratulations on your good news. I was wondering if you were also given funding or any financial aid. This question is actually to all those who have been accepted to HSPH, were any of you given sccholarships as well in the acceptance letter.

Nope. Did not apply for any funding.

How important does everyone think the harvard 'brand' is?

I am feeling quite torn between harvard and UW, both for epi programs, UW for maternal child health epi.

i know that both programs are very strong. thus far, UW seems like a better fit, but the name recognition and cache associated with harvard are hard to pass up. (NB so far, it seems like harvard would be significantly more expensive as well...)

i plan to visit both schools, meet with professors, and thoroughly assess 'fit'. but i thought i would ask those of you who may be in similar positions how you are approaching this kind of decision...?

thoughts??

i got notified of a 40k scholarship other financial aid means (loans) today

I think visiting and assessing for "fit" is the best way to go.

As far as name recognition goes. To the general population the name "Harvard" will resonate more strongly than "University of Washington". That is guaranteed. ( i.e. Where I'm from at least people tend to confuse UW with Wash. U in St. Louis.)

However, in academia schools like UW, UNC, U Mich, etc. are on parr with "name brand" schools like Harvard. You seem to favor UW over Harvard because of "fit" and cost. And those are two very important criteria.

Also I'm only speculating here, but if you are looking to branch out into another field like consulting for example, maybe the "harvard" name will take you farther?

In the end the decision is yours. Isn't it nice to have such choices? :)

My comment right above is referring this post:

How important does everyone think the harvard 'brand' is?

I am feeling quite torn between harvard and UW, both for epi programs, UW for maternal child health epi.

i know that both programs are very strong. thus far, UW seems like a better fit, but the name recognition and cache associated with harvard are hard to pass up. (NB so far, it seems like harvard would be significantly more expensive as well...)

i plan to visit both schools, meet with professors, and thoroughly assess 'fit'. but i thought i would ask those of you who may be in similar positions how you are approaching this kind of decision...?

thoughts??

How selective is Harvard's admission for the school of public health? Does anyone have the stats?