This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xXVoicesXx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any opinions on the program? Basically, Harvard is offering online biochem, genetics, physiology, and immunology for a certificate of completion, geared towards those interested in medicine. It's $1800 for all 4 classes, and each class is 10 weeks long. There's various registration periods. They're saying this is the first year this has been open to the public, and beforehand it was for soon to matriculate med students.

HMX | Harvard Medical School

Members don't see this ad.

I know it's not popular (for some reason) but I LOVE pre-studying. For me, developing a context of the information beforehand - where something starts and something ends - and experimentally learning how to study for the particular subject matter - is literally so helpful.

The prestudy value is pretty much all the value. There is almost no credential value, as the certificate doesn't actually certify you as anything. I probably wouldnt put it on a resume, AMCAS is iffy, I would have to do it to determine whether it was worth putting on there. Where would you even put it? Activities?

The pricing is pretty steep, but I have paid about a quarter of that for a business strategy specialization on coursera, so it depends.

That's my opinion, but I seem to be a minority who strongly values pre-studying and MOOCs. Peggy Mason's Neurobio MOOC on Coursera was a much more memorable, meaningful course than probably half of my "real" for credit courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been doing it but it's free for me. I wouldn't say it's a waste of time, but the basic science is everything I've learned in undergrad. They have patient interviews based on clinical connections - pretty cool but $1800 is a lot of money. Feel free to PM if you want to know more

Reactions: 1 user
Just found out that my financial situation wasn't pathetic enough to make the cut for financial aid. I like the idea of a focussed pre-study, but $2K is a little steep.

Anyone took Immunology at HES and can share some tips about the midterm and final?

Maybe this is too late to respond, but I took 3 of the 4 Harvard HMX Fundamental courses and received Certificates of Achievement in all of them: Immunology, Biochemistry, and Physiology. I benefited a lot from the courses and it improved my MCAT score. I liked how they integrated the videos, animation, and real life patient scenarios to tie it all together. But maybe I am biased, since they used me in their marketing materials online. :)

Reactions: 2 users
I'm sure that there are probably some valuable information in HMX for pre-studying, but with the internet, there is a plethora of science-related content you have at your fingertips for free

On a side note, I actually know some people who've taken this certificate program and brag to people how they got their education from Harvard Med. They even list it as their main education on Facebook/ Linkedin/ and Tinder (!!) (Same goes for the business school equivalent, HBX)

I wonder if registering for these courses gives you the option to study on Harvard Campus, such as Grossman Library? Sure, it may be possible to get away with studying wherever if you fit in, but I wonder what the rules are?

I wonder if registering for these courses gives you the option to study on Harvard Campus, such as Grossman Library? Sure, it may be possible to get away with studying wherever if you fit in, but I wonder what the rules are?

Sorry I have no idea, I'm on the west coast so that would be a long commute to study.
And the HMX courses you can't just register for them. There is an application process and essay questions, etc. They have to accept you into the program.

Maybe this is too late to respond, but I took 3 of the 4 Harvard HMX Fundamental courses and received Certificates of Achievement in all of them: Immunology, Biochemistry, and Physiology. I benefited a lot from the courses and it improved my MCAT score. I liked how they integrated the videos, animation, and real life patient scenarios to tie it all together. But maybe I am biased, since they used me in their marketing materials online. :)

Nice! I'm signed up for this and getting ready to start this summer. I'm super excited to learn this but I'm also nervous. My program requires that we obtain a Certificate of Achievement and there's nothing indicating how to obtain a Certificate of Achievement instead of a regular Certificate of Completion. I'm a planner and I'm getting a little nervous... What's does it take to obtain a Certificate of Achievement instead of a regular Certificate of Completion. Any help/tips/advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't harvard on iTunes U have access to the same free courses? Furthermore there are also plenty of other ivy league and top schools courses as well. For example Tales Psych course on iTunes U is highly rated. iTunes U and Coursera is free if you are only seeking knowledge or advanced study. If it's about having a Harvard certificate that is pretty much worthless and will not have anyone impressed jumping out of their seats.

Doesn't harvard on iTunes U have access to the same free courses? Furthermore there are also plenty of other ivy league and top schools courses as well. For example Tales Psych course on iTunes U is highly rated. iTunes U and Coursera is free if you are only seeking knowledge or advanced study. If it's about having a Harvard certificate that is pretty much worthless and will not have anyone impressed jumping out of their seats.
The free courses are not the same content as HMX. My friend is taking the free Harvard Biochemistry class online and I saw the format. Totally different. IMO, the paid courses were very useful. Especially learning how it’s relevant to patient care.

I’m not sure what the negativity is about in your post. Have you taken any of the paid HMX courses personally?? Because I have taken 3 of them.

Nice! I'm signed up for this and getting ready to start this summer. I'm super excited to learn this but I'm also nervous. My program requires that we obtain a Certificate of Achievement and there's nothing indicating how to obtain a Certificate of Achievement instead of a regular Certificate of Completion. I'm a planner and I'm getting a little nervous... What's does it take to obtain a Certificate of Achievement instead of a regular Certificate of Completion. Any help/tips/advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!
PM me and I’ll give you tips. Thanks.

Reactions: 1 users
The free courses are not the same content as HMX. My friend is taking the free Harvard Biochemistry class online and I saw the format. Totally different. IMO, the paid courses were very useful. Especially learning how it’s relevant to patient care.

I’m not sure what the negativity is about in your post. Have you taken any of the paid HMX courses personally?? Because I have taken 3 of them.

There is no negativity it is the honest truth. You can access quality and free courses online instead of being roped into Bing those same courses because Harvard is on the name. $1800 is a lot of money and isnt sensible to spend just to add another credit to a resume.

Sorry I have no idea, I'm on the west coast so that would be a long commute to study.
And the HMX courses you can't just register for them. There is an application process and essay questions, etc. They have to accept you into the program.

REALLY? When did you get the results of your application? Were the questions difficult?
They told me that "The application form does include a short essay where you will be asked to explain your motivations for taking the course and how you will apply the material " , and I thought that this was just a formality and not a requirement.

Thank u in advance.

REALLY? When did you get the results of your application? Were the questions difficult?
They told me that "The application form does include a short essay where you will be asked to explain your motivations for taking the course and how you will apply the material " , and I thought that this was just a formality and not a requirement.

Thank u in advance.

I didn't think the questions were difficult. I think my situation is a little different because I also applied for the 80% tuition reduction. That was a separate application with different questions. I don't remember how long it took for them to accept me. And the waiver I received in a separate email. Another of my friends applied for both the courses and the tuition reduction, but he only got accepted and had to pay the full tuition. So I would say they do actually read what you write to evaluate you.

I'm taking final HMX exams, can you give me insights of how it is? Than you!

I'm taking final HMX exams, can you give me insights of how it is? Than you!
Same here! Wondering the same. It's 90 mins but there can't be 90 questions, right? I guess there could be but it seems excessive.

Anybody have any opinions on the program? Basically, Harvard is offering online biochem, genetics, physiology, and immunology for a certificate of completion, geared towards those interested in medicine. It's $1800 for all 4 classes, and each class is 10 weeks long. There's various registration periods. They're saying this is the first year this has been open to the public, and beforehand it was for soon to matriculate med students.

HMX | Harvard Medical School

HMX is a complete waste of money. While it is cool to see the videos with doctors interacting with patients and seeing labs, the questions are stupidly easy. Do not waste your money on this. while you may kinda learn a little $800-1000 is a lot of money and is better spent else where. I did physiology and pharmacology and would strongly discourage anyone from taking HMX. They give an elementary level of information for their concepts and does actually cover physiology just some of the broad topics that relate to it (acid base, compliance, partial pressure, transmural pressure). This is not what I signed up for and I would strongly recommend that you don't waste your money either.

I didn't think the questions were difficult. I think my situation is a little different because I also applied for the 80% tuition reduction. That was a separate application with different questions. I don't remember how long it took for them to accept me. And the waiver I received in a separate email. Another of my friends applied for both the courses and the tuition reduction, but he only got accepted and had to pay the full tuition. So I would say they do actually read what you write to evaluate you.

Hey Happy123!
I've got some questions about the HMX courses. Can you PM me?

Could anyone DM me with some info on the Harvard HMX course. I am planning on taking the class to gain admission to Chatham Masters in Bio program. I just want to know what I am getting myself into as far as exams and assignments.

I go to HMS and we got to take HMX for free the summer before matriculation. It was 0% useful for medical school IMO. I would in no circumstance PAY for that, there is just as good or better material online. In fact, Osmosis videos are WAY more useful.

Reactions: 4 users
I go to HMS and we got to take HMX for free the summer before matriculation. It was 0% useful for medical school IMO. I would in no circumstance PAY for that, there is just as good or better material online. In fact, Osmosis videos are WAY more useful.

Any word on the final exam and how hard or how much time I should be putting into it?

Hi happy probably this is so awkward since you dont know me. But i saw this forum and read that you got the certificate of achievemnt in all of your courses with HMX! Thats so cooollll!!!! I'm currently joining the program and if you don't mind is there any advices that you could give me on completing the final exqms? I'm very scare because if the final exams did not reach 65 points i will not get any acknowledgement nit even a certificate of completion :(. Thank youu

Any word on the final exam and how hard or how much time I should be putting into it?

Don’t really remember studying for it too much hah. I think just like any other exam. The questions are much more big picture and less details.

Could anyone DM me with some info on the Harvard HMX course. I am planning on taking the class to gain admission to Chatham Masters in Bio program. I just want to know what I am getting myself into as far as exams and assignments.

SO AM I for chatham!

Any advice on the final exams? How hard are the questions ? how many are there?

Hi:) I saw you have information on the HMX online courses, i am trying to DM you but I cant.. i would really appreciate if you could please reach back to me

I am taking these HMX courses starting in April. looking for insight on them. I work full time 8-5 but this is part of my requirement for admission into a school I applied to. How are the classes set up? How are the test? Any information would be appreciated.

I personally took Immunology, Biochemistry and Pharmacology and I have notes taken encompassing 200 pages for each topic just for my continual reference over time. I can share my notes for any of those interested. It has a lot of the course content and information and questions and answers. It's a great course and well worth the investment- I personally took it because I'm a chemist and consultant in medicine and hospitals research labs so I wanted to refresh my basics and advance it further to be able to interact and train doctors on analytical chemistry techniques more efficiently and construct methods suitable for challenging therapies.

I personally took Immunology, Biochemistry and Pharmacology and I have notes taken encompassing 200 pages for each topic just for my continual reference over time. I can share my notes for any of those interested. It has a lot of the course content and information and questions and answers. It's a great course and well worth the investment- I personally took it because I'm a chemist and consultant in medicine and hospitals research labs so I wanted to refresh my basics and advance it further to be able to interact and train doctors on analytical chemistry techniques more efficiently and construct methods suitable for challenging therapies.
If you could share your notes with me I would really appreciate it!

I am taking these HMX courses starting in April. looking for insight on them. I work full time 8-5 but this is part of my requirement for admission into a school I applied to. How are the classes set up? How are the test? Any information would be appreciated.
is it for the Chatham MABS program?