Hardest Medical Schools By Acceptance Rate (2010)

nysegop

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought I would post the hardest medical schools to get into as per 2010 data.

1. Mayo Medical School
2. George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
3. Wake Forest University School of Medicine
4. Stanford University School of Medicine
5. Georgetown University School of Medicine
6. Brown University Warren Alpert Medical School
7. Rush University Medical College
8. Howard University College of Medicine
9. University of California—Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine
10. University of Vermont College of Medicine

Source: http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...-medical-schools-with-lowest-acceptance-rates

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is a pretty inaccurate account of 'hardest schools to get into'. The list is formulated by acceptance rate, with class sizes being relatively similar nationally (with some outliers including Mayo's small class size), it is largely dependent on the number of applications that an institution receives. The numbers come out this way because schools like GW, WFU, Georgetown, etc. fall into nearly all applicants list of possibilities. Harvard, Johns Hopkins, WashU, Columbia... etc. scare away a lot of applicants that don't have at least a 3.8+ GPA and 34+ MCAT.

But nonetheless, amusing article to look at after recently finishing the process. Thanks for posting.

There is a huge self-selection in this process.

Members don't see this ad :)
why is everyone so concerned with getting into a top med school? Is it because they want to get into the best residency program, or is it just personal gratification/self-esteem issues? If it is the latter then I have to say this isn't college confidential people.

This is a pretty inaccurate account of 'hardest schools to get into'. The list is formulated by acceptance rate, with class sizes being relatively similar nationally (with some outliers including Mayo's small class size), it is largely dependent on the number of applications that an institution receives. The numbers come out this way because schools like GW, WFU, Georgetown, etc. fall into nearly all applicants list of possibilities. Harvard, Johns Hopkins, WashU, Columbia... etc. scare away a lot of applicants that don't have at least a 3.8+ GPA and 34+ MCAT.

But nonetheless, amusing article to look at after recently finishing the process. Thanks for posting.

Yes, it is understood that this list is based on how many applicants get in.

the article clearly says with lowest acceptance rates
why are you changing the title to represent the data as something that they're not?

the article clearly says with lowest acceptance rates
why are you changing the title to represent the data as something that they're not?

Um, what exactly are you trying to say here?

Acceptance rate is a very, very poor way to define "hardest to get into" since self-selection is a huge issue. If a school has a matriculate average of 3.8/36 but a 20% acceptance rate, I would argue it definitely is not an easier school to get into than the school with a 3.6/30 matriculate average with a 10% acceptance rate.

All I was trying to say was that I feel the thread is improperly named by saying 'Hardest medical school to get into'. These have the lowest overall acceptance rates, but doesn't mean they're the toughest.

Anyway, wasn't trying to argue, just observing.

All I was trying to say was that I feel the thread is improperly named by saying 'Hardest medical school to get into'. These have the lowest overall acceptance rates, but doesn't mean they're the toughest.

Anyway, wasn't trying to argue, just observing.

Good point.

What about the role of affirmative action in admission? And where is the list of hardest DO schools to be accepted into?

I could find out if you wish, but I would most likely be posting that in the DO section. Not the MD section.

Too oversimplified to be useful. Mayo might have the lowest overall acceptance rate but if my dream school is SIU and I'm not from Illinois or UMass and I'm not from Massachusetts I still have an infinitely better chance at Mayo, because my chances at SIU or UMass are zero.

So basically, these are the schools with the most applicants compared to the number of people the accept. There's really no other conclusions you can draw from that list.

Members don't see this ad :)
why is everyone so concerned with getting into a top med school? Is it because they want to get into the best residency program, or is it just personal gratification/self-esteem issues? If it is the latter then I have to say this isn't college confidential people.

Desire to succeed doesn't always stem from insecurity. Although in my case it probably does :laugh:

People who go into those top schools aren't interested in top residency programs, they can get in from anywhere. I'd imagine those types of students are far more interested in research, leadership positions (eg hospital directors, surgeon general, head of CDC etc etc) more than anything else. When those positions are filled, they usually aren't filled with physicians from regular medical schools, they are almost always filled with students from these top schools.

LOL @ Howard being #8...

Misleading thread title is misleading.

Next thing you know, someone is going to come in here, using the OPs same logic, and claim that PA and Nursing school is "harder" to get into than medical school.

LOL @ Howard being #8...

Misleading thread title is misleading.

Next thing you know, someone is going to come in here, using the OPs same logic, and claim that PA and Nursing school is "harder" to get into than medical school.
OP is a high schooler who has no idea about the medical world and is abusing SDN by asking every single question that pops into his head instead of using the search function. loads of entertainment :laugh:

People who go into those top schools aren't interested in top residency programs, they can get in from anywhere. I'd imagine those types of students are far more interested in research, leadership positions (eg hospital directors, surgeon general, head of CDC etc etc) more than anything else. When those positions are filled, they usually aren't filled with physicians from regular medical schools, they are almost always filled with students from these top schools.

You should try thinking before you click submit. You have no idea what are you talking about...

Georgetown has pretty middle-of the road stats when it's compared to an Ivy. For example, it has a 3.75/32Q average compared to Penn's 3.87/37R. Those stats tend to scare people away from Penn.

Georgetown has pretty middle-of the road stats when it's compared to an Ivy. For example, it has a 3.75/32Q average compared to Penn's 3.87/37R. Those stats tend to scare people away from Penn.

Didn't scare me away, unfortunately. Goodbye money! :(

Just thought I would post the hardest medical schools to get into as per 2010 data.

1. Mayo Medical School
2. George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
3. Wake Forest University School of Medicine
4. Stanford University School of Medicine
5. Georgetown University School of Medicine
6. Brown University Warren Alpert Medical School
7. Rush University Medical College
8. Howard University College of Medicine
9. University of California—Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine
10. University of Vermont College of Medicine

Source: http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...-medical-schools-with-lowest-acceptance-rates

Must...resist...urge...to say, "cool story bro"..... :D

I'm not saying these are better schools, or their applicants are better. I am just posting cold, hard facts about admissions statistics.

I'm not saying these are better schools, or their applicants are better. I am just posting cold, hard facts about admissions statistics.

The point is that these particular admissions statistics have no actual value other than maybe as a curiosity.

What exactly is your claim?

According to your OP, do you think it is harder to get into Howard or Harvard?

IIRC, WashU has one of the highest acceptance rates of any med school (>10%). Part of this probably has to do with the fact that their average stats are so insanely high that people are deterred from even applying, so they get fewer total apps. I don't think you'd get very far with the argument that it's easy to get into WashU.

You forgot to add "useless" to that list of adjectives.

Prestige...

What exactly is your claim?

According to your OP, do you think it is harder to get into Howard or Harvard?

I'm not claiming anything about this data. It's just data. Why does everyone have to get so touchy about data?

The way you presented it

I'm not claiming anything about this data. It's just data. Why does everyone have to get so touchy about data?

US News presented the data. You, on the other hand, went beyond presenting the data when you said that these schools are the hardest to get in to (which you said in your title and opening post). Low acceptance rate does not always mean that the school is hard to get in to.

Prestige/reputation (both for personal reasons and for matching, especially if aiming for academia), location, caliber of student, cost/availability of financial aid, research opportunities, hospital quality, quality of faculty, quality of home residency programs, grading/course format, etc.

Done talking about it. Dropping the topic. These are stats, not opinions. It seems there is nothing more to discuss. Have a good day.