Halfway through nursing school and want to be a doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MamaTried...

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started going to college about 2 1/2 years ago, and chose nursing as my major because I felt that it was the most practical way that I could help people while earning a decent paycheck. At the time I had never taken a biology or chemistry class, and really had no clue of what to expect. I grew up in a low SES household, and didn't receive the best high-school education. So when I finally started going to school it never occurred to me that I was capable of excelling in hard science classes. Long story short, I ended up making high A's in classes like biology, chemistry, microbio, and eventually even went on to take a neuropharmacology class for my minor in psych that was designed for pre-med students, and to my surprise the professor asked me to work on some of his research projects. I never in a million years would have believed that I was capable of this level of work when I first started. During this time I was also accepted to a very competitive nursing program, and am about halfway through the first semester now. I am finding that I do not fit in well with the other nursing students. I do not think that I have the personality traits that many of them share. I miss learning science at the molecular level. I am much more interested by how a GABA receptor works than how to insert a Foley catheter, and am thinking that nursing may not be the right path for me. However, I have hit a tipping point financially, and I cannot afford to quit. I am 34 years old, and just don't have the money to change paths at this point. I am feeling locked into this decision, and it's not that I don't have any respect for the field of nursing, I do, I just am afraid that I may not actually think like a nurse. Would it be feasible for me to work for a while as a nurse, and then apply to medical school? Is it immoral to complete this program knowing that I really want to be a doctor and not a nurse?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm kind of in the same boat as you, except I am already working as an ER nurse. Nursing was a second career for me. My first degree was in chemistry, and as I am 35, I felt like it was too late for me to go to medical school until a couple of years ago, when I got some encouragement in the unlikeliest of places. I am now retaking molecular and cell biology (for MCAT prep and a potential letter of recommendation), and I have realized how much I miss and enjoy the hard sciences. It sounds cheesy as hell, but I feel like this class has added a joy and purpose back to my life that I was missing. I have the utmost respect for nurses, but I don't think I will ever get the deep level of knowledge that I am looking for if I were to remain in nursing and I am not someone who wants to have close relationships with patients that is often cited as an advantage of bedside nursing over medicine.

As far as your financial situation goes, if you are only in your first semester of nursing school, you could switch majors and have your medical school prerequisites completed in roughly the same amount of time that you would finish your nursing program. If you must finish for whatever reason, I don't think it is immoral for you to finish and take your prerequisites while working as a nurse. You could try to find a weekend-only job (Baylor plan), and take classes through the week. Just know that if your heart is truly in medicine, nursing most likely will not be a fulfilling second-fiddle career.
I started going to college about 2 1/2 years ago, and chose nursing as my major because I felt that it was the most practical way that I could help people while earning a decent paycheck. At the time I had never taken a biology or chemistry class, and really had no clue of what to expect. I grew up in a low SES household, and didn't receive the best high-school education. So when I finally started going to school it never occurred to me that I was capable of excelling in hard science classes. Long story short, I ended up making high A's in classes like biology, chemistry, microbio, and eventually even went on to take a neuropharmacology class for my minor in psych that was designed for pre-med students, and to my surprise the professor asked me to work on some of his research projects. I never in a million years would have believed that I was capable of this level of work when I first started. During this time I was also accepted to a very competitive nursing program, and am about halfway through the first semester now. I am finding that I do not fit in well with the other nursing students. I do not think that I have the personality traits that many of them share. I miss learning science at the molecular level. I am much more interested by how a GABA receptor works than how to insert a Foley catheter, and am thinking that nursing may not be the right path for me. However, I have hit a tipping point financially, and I cannot afford to quit. I am 34 years old, and just don't have the money to change paths at this point. I am feeling locked into this decision, and it's not that I don't have any respect for the field of nursing, I do, I just am afraid that I may not actually think like a nurse. Would it be feasible for me to work for a while as a nurse, and then apply to medical school? Is it immoral to complete this program knowing that I really want to be a doctor and not a nurse?

Last edited:
I am 34 years old, and just don't have the money to change paths at this point. I am feeling locked into this decision, and it's not that I don't have any respect for the field of nursing, I do, I just am afraid that I may not actually think like a nurse. Would it be feasible for me to work for a while as a nurse, and then apply to medical school? Is it immoral to complete this program knowing that I really want to be a doctor and not a nurse?

At 34, it's going to be challenging financially to continue this program, work a few years, and switch programs. But there is nothing immoral about continuing even if you plan on switching. With your story, I think you could probably apply to med school as soon as you have the degree if you have the pre-reqs, so skipping the years of working as a nurse... Others might have different views so hopefully they chime in. You might also explore NP but I think working towards MD faster might be better if your GPA is competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
As acceptance odds can be unpredicatable I would finish your current bachelors and know you have the nursing career in hand. Take med school prereqs as possible electives or on your own after graduation and then apply while working. But i am risk averse so that's just the safest patj

Reactions: 1 user

Immoral? Absolutely not. I also like to play it safe like @sb247, so I agree that you should probably get this Bachelor's over with. If possible (and if you're sure you'll make As), get the other pre-reqs out of the way as well. This will allow you to take the MCAT and apply while earning some decent money as a nurse. It's going to be a tough path, I'm not gonna lie. Nursing is a difficult job as it is and nursing school is hectic, but just from my experience, but if this is really what you want and the time/personal commitment doesn't bother you, then go for it.

Yes, it's feasible, and no, it's not immoral. In fact, I think it's a great idea, for several reasons. 1) financial, as you've already laid out. 2) clinical experience - no one will doubt that you know what you're talking about when you say you want a career in health care. 3) career opportunities - being in school is not like being in practice. Obviously, you've never been a nurse before, so it's totally reasonable to at least give it a shot for a year or two and see if you actually like it. If you do, great. No harm, no foul. You can just keep working. If you don't, also no harm, no foul. Finish off your premed prereqs, or alternatively, go to NP or CRNP school. Or you could get a PhD and do administration or research. Point being, you have lots of options if you don't like nursing. So don't psych yourself out into feeling "locked in" to a career you don't love.

Reactions: 1 users