Had a terrible semester as a 2nd year premed student - I feel kinda discouraged :/

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perchperkins

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I doubt anyone's really going to want to read a sappy pre-med student talk about their grades, but feel free to stick around if you'd like.

My first and second semesters of college I did quite well. I had A's, I was on campus and I was doing extracurriculars and what not. Since COVID hit and we were sent home this semester, things have been really difficult (not only for me but for everyone of course)... I've been taking classes from home and I had to take more hours on my job to compensate for the toll that this has taken on my family. Not to mention, I'm dealing with my mental health which isn't really where I'd like it to be - depressions a bitch.

But any who, the semester is coming to a close and I'm kinda sad about my grades. I did the best that I could given the circumstances but I just feel like I could've done better... This is my worst semester yet. I intend on making changes so that I can excel next semester. I'm in therapy and I'm going to try to manage my time in a better way (hopefully I can work less!). I guess I'm just writing this because I'm wondering if this semester ruined my chances at going into medical school.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm sad about this but I refuse to just wallow in my own tears. I actually want to do better. Are the odds still in my favor to continue the path of medicine? :( I can always try to bring my grades up so I could apply to med school and I've also heard that there are postbacc programs. Does anyone have some advice or experience to share?

I also wanted to mention that now with the pandemic its so hard to get to know professors so that I could get letters of rec and its harder to get to volunteer/shadow in certain places. How else can I spruce up my transcript?

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I doubt anyone's really going to want to read a sappy pre-med student talk about their grades, but feel free to stick around if you'd like.

My first and second semesters of college I did quite well. I had A's, I was on campus and I was doing extracurriculars and what not. Since COVID hit and we were sent home this semester, things have been really difficult (not only for me but for everyone of course)... I've been taking classes from home and I had to take more hours on my job to compensate for the toll that this has taken on my family. Not to mention, I'm dealing with my mental health which isn't really where I'd like it to be - depressions a bitch.

But any who, the semester is coming to a close and I'm kinda sad about my grades. I did the best that I could given the circumstances but I just feel like I could've done better... This is my worst semester yet. I intend on making changes so that I can excel next semester. I'm in therapy and I'm going to try to manage my time in a better way (hopefully I can work less!). I guess I'm just writing this because I'm wondering if this semester ruined my chances at going into medical school.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm sad about this but I refuse to just wallow in my own tears. I actually want to do better. Are the odds still in my favor to continue the path of medicine? :( I can always try to bring my grades up so I could apply to med school and I've also heard that there are postbacc programs. Does anyone have some advice or experience to share?

I also wanted to mention that now with the pandemic its so hard to get to know professors so that I could get letters of rec and its harder to get to volunteer/shadow in certain places. How else can I spruce up my transcript?
yeah, through in come numbers for us here. We need to know specifics. THe more detailed you get, the better advice we can give you

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends, what are your grades right now?
so I haven't gotten my grades for the semester yet because it's finals week. For my STEM - organic chem, genetics, calc, it's likely that I could get a C or worse unless I do very well on my final and am able to bring it up to a B or something. For my previous semester my gpa was 3.89 and the other was 3.77. But I feel like I can easily do bad in the classes that I mentioned. I guess I'll have to fill you in a bit more when my finals are completely finished

I can usually predict when someone took organic by looking at the grade trend. What you've experienced is very, very common and you'll bounce back so don't lose heart.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
so I haven't gotten my grades for the semester yet because it's finals week. For my STEM - organic chem, genetics, calc, it's likely that I could get a C or worse unless I do very well on my final and am able to bring it up to a B or something. For my previous semester my gpa was 3.89 and the other was 3.77. But I feel like I can easily do bad in the classes that I mentioned. I guess I'll have to fill you in a bit more when my finals are completely finished
yeah, dont worry about it! you are second year. You have 2 more years of undergrad. By the time you finish no one will care about your low grade from the COVID ERA!!!! (!!!!!).

plus it is not the perfect grades that make you a good doctor. It is not perfect tests and perfect boards. My personal opinion, but i truly believe that it is the resiliency to get up after not doing well, and to keep going. As a medical student, resident, and attending you will have bad outcomes all the time. They do not define us. What you do after is what does.

So, WHATEVER you get:
1) no, you can still get into medical school (make a separate post, or post here once you know your grades, so that we can help you make a plan)
2) dont be too hard on yourself. Treat yourself with some kindness. This year has been insane. Just the fact that you are working, and going to school, and are alive is enough!
3) breathe, then regroup, and start spring semester anew.

Reactions: 2 users