GW or Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ATPase

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your opinions of these schools? I really liked GW when I interviewed there, and I have an interview at Georgetown in a few weeks. I know Georgetown ranks a little higher in U.S. News (for whatever it's worth), and even my state school ranks much higher than both, but I really like the DC area. For people who have interviewed at these schools, what are your thoughts as to the relative merits of each?

Members don't see this ad.

Haven't interviewed at either school, but i was at gw as an undergrad.

GW- awesome environment - great for studying, hanging out etc etc., med school is on the undergrad campus. Med school is pretty low tier.

GTown - personally the campus can be a bit depressing at times. But regardless of US news rankings, Georgetown is Georgetown! Everyone knows Georgetown. And regardless of the financial problems of the past, it's still one damnn good hospital.

So, I would go gtown over gw.

I've been to both schools. Personally, I liked GW much better than Georgetown. The students were friendlier, the campus was right in the middle of Foggy Bottom, and the brand-spanking new (paperless!) hospital really seals the deal.

Even though G'town has a slightly higher US News ranking, GW seemed to be the more up and coming school while G'town was satisfied in its mediocrity. My personal preference would be GW.

deez

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback!

ATPase-
when did you get confirmation that your files were complete at GW and Gtown and when did you get interview invites? Can I ask what your stats are?
I'm hoping to get an interview from those schools....

My file was complete at GW in mid-August and I interviewed there in early September. I think my file was complete at Gtown in mid-September, and about 3 weeks later I got an interview invite. (MCAT 34, GPA 3.8)

When i interviewed at Georgetown last year, I was pretty disturbed by the "our school is financially stable" talk that I didn't get anywhere else. It certainly had the opposite of its intended effect on our interview group. I was also turned off from Georgetown when I asked my interviewer who was the Dean of Curriculum or some such about student research opportunities and he told me that they were very limited and the job of a medical student is to be in school not research. hmm. Lastly, I believe that their third year rotations are the "Pfiezer (Sp?) Clinical Experience" or some such. which I thought was pretty scary. that said I think that you can get a very solid clinical background at the school but be sure to ask tough questions about their financial status, ancillary services in the hospitals and opportunities for away and elective rotations in the fourth year because all of those are very important details. I think probably the best authority would be one of the many G-town students who post on this board.

I concur with indiamacbean. In addition, they told us pretty much, "Don't come here unless you can't get into your state school." My interviewer (the anatomy prof) told me, "I used to be on faculty at Harvard. Trust me, there are better medical schools than this, and you'll get into one."

If your state school is better, I think you're crazy to go to Georgetown just for the environment. They have a pretty hefty price tag.......

Oh wee premeds....how rumors fly. Yes, Gtown has had financial problems in the past but honestly, being a first year here i have not noticed one bit how it has affected my education. The location is superb, the professors are supportive, the admissions and deans staff are second to none (did anyone notice they know your names when you come), and most importantly the students are the most talented, outgoing, and fun group of 170 people i've ever met. It's true that we have a lot of lecture time but Friday and Saturdays we generally go all out (ask Gtown police...) with house parties and clubs/bars in Adams Morgan, M street, Dupont, among road trips to NYC. And when we go out we roll big, of groups generally of 25+ people, sometimes much more. We're a very close group and as many of you will see, after spending so much time together in med school, you'll get to appreciate being around people that are fun, spontaneous, and well-rounded. I really thought that going to medical school was social death and was going to be inundated with socially inept nerds with their pocket protectors and thick glasses but fortunately i have had the time of my life here at Gtown. Granted it's only been two months of medical school but i'm having just as much if not more fun here at Georgetown. Take it for what it's worth, good luck on your interview trail, and hope you enjoy your visit to Gtown if and when you come.

they (Gtown) say goto your state school cuz no private school is worth 55k a year unless you want to do academic medicine

i went to Gtown for undergrad, have friends who goto Gtown med and love it. Gtown was the only school that didnt try to sell their school but rather told you what it was straight up and thats all. nice to have that at a school.

gw has a better location, but gtown is the better school. facilities may be a little run down, but they give u a solid solid clinical background and have nearly 14 hospitals or something to do rotations at (thru Med Star). Also, im an MSI and i dont see how you would have time to do research or want to do it. If you wanted to do research, shoulda done Md/phd. Or you can easily research in the summer, there are numerous opportunities there or at NIH which is only a metro ride away.

that being said, gtowns finances are stable now so their ranking is going up. they give you the financial stability talk bc they dont want people wondering whats up with their finances like many people do with Mount Sinai. Better to get it out in the open than keep people in the dark and have everyone speculate about the affects of a financial crisis on an institution.

and now back to anatomy :)

Originally posted by SunnyS81
In addition, they told us pretty much, "Don't come here unless you can't get into your state school."

in general, this is very good advice. it says nothing about the quality of education at georgetown but rather that they are straightforward with their applicants and are looking out for the best interests of their applicants.
georgetown is not for everyone, but you may be surprised when you visit. people seem to trash talk it a lot on here, and i was actually pretty impressed. the facilities are not as bad as people make them out to be, and i don't find the campus depressing at all. the med school is on the undergrad campus, right in the middle of a really nice part of dc.
reputationwise gtown wins hands down. but what's more important is the kind of feeling you get when you visit each school! you will get a good education at either institution. i did not interview at gw so can't comment on their clinical training, but check out gtown's match list. it is VERY good, which goes to show they train their students well (even if that means spending looooong hours during 3rd and 4th year).
hi surfdevl02 :)!

Definitely GW....cause, Georgetown rejected me post-secondary...
I'm not bitter, but I'm tempted to call G-town the reason they did that to me :(

i go to gw and a good friend of mine goes to gtown and neither of us go to class and really there is no difference between our lives. I mean we have the same texts pretty much, cover the same material etc. i guess if you are a person who loves to go to lecture then i am not the person to talk to. I am not sure about g town, the only thing i say is cool about gw and that is a pain in the ass but is good is they have quite a bit of training in interviewing patients right from day 1. alot of patient contact practice. I am sure g town has something comparable.. seroiusly i would say there is NO diff at all. they are liek 10 min walks from each other, both in fun areas.. both patient orienated.. seriously youll be happy at either one