GW and In-State preference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CDH

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed through these discussions that it is very competitive to get into a school as an out of state student. A few questions regarding this:

1. Do the University of Maryland and Virginia schools consider a DC resident a resident for reasons of admission preference?

2. Does GW give in-state preference to residents of DC? I can't find class statistics on their web site.

It's frustrating being a DC resident and having no representation in Congress, but this state preference thing just adds salt to the wounds. I am currently having to pay out-of-state tuition to take post-bacc classes at UM.

Members don't see this ad.

These and other reasons why not to live in directly in DC. Maryland and Virginia aren't too far away.

As for your questions. I dunno. I do know Maryland heavily favors in-state residents and is difficult to get into.

UMD and UVA do not give instate preference to DC residents. Somewhere on GW's website they say that the give special consideration to applicants from the DC/MD/VA metro area. However, I got waitlisted and am from MD.

If you're not applying this cycle, I'd suggest moving to MD or VA. It's worth it!

From the USNews numbers, both Gtown and GW seem to favor in state. However the sample size is small. It might be a function of people attending those unversities as undergrads, and becoming DC residents, then applying, meaning it had nothing to do with state of residence.

Originally posted by CDH
I've noticed through these discussions that it is very competitive to get into a school as an out of state student. A few questions regarding this:

1. Do the University of Maryland and Virginia schools consider a DC resident a resident for reasons of admission preference?

2. Does GW give in-state preference to residents of DC? I can't find class statistics on their web site.

It's frustrating being a DC resident and having no representation in Congress, but this state preference thing just adds salt to the wounds. I am currently having to pay out-of-state tuition to take post-bacc classes at UM.