This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Study TillYou Drop

Reaction score
Currently, my school has a collaboration where undergraduate students can work alongside the medical students during gross anatomy labs. Personally, I was wondering the relevance this could have on the application process and whether it would help bolster my app if I do around 50-100 hours (25-50 gross anatomy labs or more) total? Also, right now the time is conflicting with hours where I could potentially shadow a cardiologist (currently, I have over 100 hours total right now from shadowing other doctors in the past) and don't know the relevance of one over the other (I would receive probably 50 hours from the cardiologist)?

Members don't see this ad.

1) Currently, my school has a collaboration where undergraduate students can work alongside the medical students during gross anatomy labs. Personally, I was wondering the relevance this could have on the application process and whether it would help bolster my app if I do around 50-100 hours (25-50 gross anatomy labs or more) total?

2) Also, right now the time is conflicting with hours where I could potentially shadow a cardiologist (currently, I have over 100 hours total right now from shadowing other doctors in the past) and don't know the relevance of one over the other (I would receive probably 50 hours from the cardiologist)?
1) This activity will not make you a more appealing candidate for med school.

2) You don't need more than 50 hours of shadowing. So long as your list includes a primary care doc, you're done. But feel free to shadow the cardiologist if it seems like fun and you have the time.

Reactions: 1 users
1) This activity will not make you a more appealing candidate for med school.

2) You don't need more than 50 hours of shadowing. So long as your list includes a primary care doc, you're done. But feel free to shadow the cardiologist if it seems like fun and you have the time.
This 100%

Members don't see this ad :)
I have shadowed a neurosurgeon for about 80 hours (non-primary care and DO) and a pediatrician for about 12 hours (MD primary care and plan on doing more in the future). How many hours do you think would be necessary for a primary care doctor? Also, is it good to expand and have shadowed both DO and MD doctors if you are on track for an MD/PhD (app requires more experiences and is highly competitive) in regards to shadowing experience?

I have shadowed a neurosurgeon for about 80 hours (non-primary care and DO) and a pediatrician for about 12 hours (MD primary care and plan on doing more in the future). How many hours do you think would be necessary for a primary care doctor?
You have enough shadowing in my opinion. More than enough. Need 30-50 total hours

Reactions: 1 user
I have shadowed a neurosurgeon for about 80 hours (non-primary care and DO) and a pediatrician for about 12 hours (MD primary care and plan on doing more in the future).
1) How many hours do you think would be necessary for a primary care doctor?
2) Also, is it good to expand and have shadowed both DO and MD doctors if you are on track for an MD/PhD (app requires more experiences and is highly competitive) in regards to shadowing experience?
1) You're fine as you are.

2) As long as you shadow physicians, it doesn't matter what the letters are after their name.

Reactions: 1 user