Struggling with finding shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meganerd2012

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve been looking for shadowing opportunities for the past year and have had no luck. I’ve cold called/emailed/gone to offices with a cover letter and resume, asked my PCP, and contacted Graduate Medical Education offices as well.

I’ve gotten an opportunity to help a physician with physicals with other pre-health and health students. Would this count as shadowing even though I would be functioning mostly as an MA?

I’m feeling really discouraged and honestly about to quit premed. I don’t have anyone in my family in healthcare that can help me in this process or help with networking. I feel like the next step is to do paid shadowing through the various programs which is more than I can afford, but I don’t think I have another choice.

Sorry for the long post, kinda needed to vent. :(

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve been looking for shadowing opportunities for the past year and have had no luck. I’ve cold called/emailed/gone to offices with a cover letter and resume, asked my PCP, and contacted Graduate Medical Education offices as well. ... I’m feeling really discouraged and honestly about to quit premed. I don’t have anyone in my family in healthcare that can help me in this process or help with networking. I feel like the next step is to do paid shadowing through the various programs which is more than I can afford, but I don’t think I have another choice.
In addition to the above suggestions, some schools have their clerkship director emails available online. If you haven't already tried emailing those people, it's worth a try!

Keywords to try: [specialty] + [clerkship / subinternship / acting internship rotation] + [nearby medical school]

Premed students not infrequently cold-email my site's clerkship director who then refers students to those of us who are open to shadowing. Maybe this method will prove fruitful for you as well. And chin up, it only takes one yes!

Reactions: 2 users
If you are still in undergrad, your pre-health advising office may have a list of alumni that allow students to shadow.
I'm not (graduated in 2021), but I'll reach out to see if they have a better list than the one I have access to through the portal.

In addition to the above suggestions, some schools have their clerkship director emails available online. If you haven't already tried emailing those people, it's worth a try!

Keywords to try: [specialty] + [clerkship / subinternship / acting internship rotation] + [nearby medical school]

Premed students not infrequently cold-email my site's clerkship director who then refers students to those of us who are open to shadowing. Maybe this method will prove fruitful for you as well. And chin up, it only takes one yes!
Thank you! I've reached out to them. Hoping it will prove fruitful. :)

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve been looking for shadowing opportunities for the past year and have had no luck. I’ve cold called/emailed/gone to offices with a cover letter and resume, asked my PCP, and contacted Graduate Medical Education offices as well.

I’ve gotten an opportunity to help a physician with physicals with other pre-health and health students. Would this count as shadowing even though I would be functioning mostly as an MA?

I’m feeling really discouraged and honestly about to quit premed. I don’t have anyone in my family in healthcare that can help me in this process or help with networking. I feel like the next step is to do paid shadowing through the various programs which is more than I can afford, but I don’t think I have another choice.

Sorry for the long post, kinda needed to vent. :(
If there are hospital systems near you, you can look up their employee directory on their website and email physicians in the specialty you want to shadow directly. This is how I got mine.

Reactions: 1 user
Archived articles

Start with the MA position and then, after the doctor has gotten to know you, ask if you can shadow for an entire work day (to see different sites, etc). Also ask if the doctor has any doctor-colleagues who would be open to having a shadow and if the doctor would provide an introduction (basically an email to the colleague with you copied serving as a way of giving you the doctor's contact info -- usually after asking the colleague separately if that would be okay).

Reactions: 4 users
You're getting a ton of good advice in here but also-

Be persistent. Ring phones off hooks. I had to call 50 doctor's offices before I got a yes, and I had to drive an hour and a half one way to shadow that doc.

This sucks, but it is what it is. I wish we took shadowing a little less seriously than we do, but we do. You gotta get those hours.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users