Griffith University 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hugo_2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I got my acceptance to the Griffith MD program yesterday. Just wondering if any fellow international students on this forum will be joining me? Does anyone know if someone has created a Facebook group for the 2018 entering class? I look forward to getting in touch with fellow classmates! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Long-time Lurker from Montreal reporting in, got my acceptance on Christmas.

Congratulations and best of success to both of us going forward, it's going to be real. I'm glad that I'm not going to have to work out the residency, internship, visa situation alone.

Anyways, either there's no Facebook group yet or I haven't cared enough to properly look for it/make one yet. (Probably the latter)

See you in January buddy, we're in the same boat so let's get this thread rolling and bring 2018's Griffith MD Internationals/Canadians out of hiding.

Last edited:
Long-time Lurker from Montreal reporting in, got my acceptance on Christmas.

Congratulations and best of success to both of us going forward, it's going to be real. I'm glad that I'm not going to have to work out the residency, internship, visa situation alone.

Anyways, either there's no Facebook group yet or I haven't cared enough to properly look for it/make one yet. (Probably the latter)

See you in January buddy, we're in the same boat so let's get this thread rolling and bring 2018's Griffith MD Internationals/Canadians out of hiding.
Hi 7-dopa!
Thanks for posting! It's great to know other Canadian Griffith Students are out there:) Congrats on your acceptance as well!
Any other 2018 Griffith MD Internationals out there? As 7-dopa said "let's get this thread rolling"

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, happy to see this thread! I just submitted my application to Griffith! From Idaho, hoping I earn an interview for this cycle. Any feedback on the interview process as an international applicant?

Hey everyone, happy to see this thread! I just submitted my application to Griffith! From Idaho, hoping I earn an interview for this cycle. Any feedback on the interview process as an international applicant?

Personally I thought it was pretty easy if you can showcase critical thinking and good reasoning-communication skills.

It's done 1-on-1 over skype and for me at least they gave me the scenarios in advance to prepare minus the questions which you can deduce.
It lasts approx. 45 minutes and while I don't remember the specifics, generally speaking it consists of ethical dilemmas, current events, social issues and most importantly, in my opinion, problem solving. Think CaRS section?

Got offer maybe 2 weeks after interview? Best of luck, hope it helps

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone, I was accepted at Griffith. Can anyone speak to the resources they provide to match back to Canada?

Hi Zifish,

I agree with what 7-dopa said in regards to the interview. A couple of additional things are to expect 5 different scenarios/questions to make up the bulk of the interview. Also make sure you have your top questions about the school/program ready to ask the interviewer at the end of your allotted time period.

Some resources I found helpful for my interview prep, as I wasn't familiar with the MMI format were:
*This $25 online course from Astroff on MMI structure and tips/tricks (I found their structured approach to tackling MMI questions really helpful because then I had a systematic process that I could apply to a large range of questions, also they had a nice summary page of suggested readings so you could brush up on relevant healthcare related current events): MMI Course by Astroff | Leaders in MMI Preparation
*This website has a nice summary of the various Australia Med School structures/logistics: How the MMI differs between Australian medical schools
*Check out YouTube... I found tons of free videos of MMI questions and ideal answers. I found pausing the video, giving my response and then watching what the recommended response was really helped build my confidence for interview day.

I hope this helps and good luck!

It's not hard to get accepted as an international student to the Australian medical schools. If you're really worried, at least apply to schools that do not hold interviews as back up.

Resources are minimal at Griffith for any international students.
As little as 3-4 years ago, there was only ever 2-3 international students at Griffith and they weren't all Canadian. Maybe one was per year. the majority of Canadians attend UQ in Brisbane, like 80-90 every year the last..god knows when. 6-8 years. (Before that it was 30-40 a year). There's no "critical mass" at Griffith. Also, going to emphasize this - Griffith takes in internationals for funding purposes, but it is still very much an Australian school at the end of the day (not an international school or "Canadian off shore" school). Staff are Australian. Most will never have been to Canada, let alone have any connections or even know what board exams are or what the Canadian match is. There are no board exams that Australian students take. There is no equivalent to the match in Australia. they all have a guaranteed internship year instead (domestics that is, not internationals) and it is not merit based for them, it is by lotto.

If you're hellbent on advising, you can try asking UQ students or ask about attending UQ seminar/events that are dedicated to the American and Canadian cohorts there - these are generally put on by UQ students and alumni. But it will all be in Brisbane. Or join the UQ facebook group and look for events that come up. the class sizes are so large at UQ anyway, likely no one will notice if you attend one of their lecture hall sized events. The Canadians of that cohort generally don't care either. (Ochsner Americans generally don't like to share - no offence to Ochsner peeps reading this - so I wouldn't go to their things). Or alternatively, suggest taht Griffith offers resources - as UQ does. But it is the only Australian school I'm aware of that does this.

As for facebook groups.
They exist for all Griffith students, there never used to enough international students for their own dedicated facebook group. I'm not going to post what it is on the world wide web. But google GUMSS That is their medical society and get in touch with their student reps and ask about facebook groups or international student representation from there.

It's been discussed in other threads more or less. But if your'e trying to match back, key things to look for is whether the offshore school you're attending has partnerships directly with other medical schools in whichever country it is you're trying to go back to. And critical mass. Alumni and upper year students able to help lower years. Considering how tiny Griffith's international cohort is, I very much doubt it will have this. It's not a requisite, but it makes your life much easier come 2nd, 3rd and 4th year.

Anyways, you guys have chosen Griffith - it's a good Australian school. But you will be on your own much of the time with regards to figuring out to match back to whatever it is your home country is.

Addit: Griffith domestic students will likely have already created 2018 facebook group for first years. Contact GUMSS.

Congratulation to everyone on their acceptances!

We definitely have a smaller cohort of internationals at Griffith compared to schools like UQ. As Domperidone had mentioned, the curriculum at Griffith is not catered for you to go back to NA, so you'd have to be proactive and seek out opportunities and resources on your own. With that being said, the advantage of having a smaller group of internationals is you get to form close connections and share resources.

As for FB group, GUMS (the Griffith University Medicine Society) will create a new cohort page closer to the date ~ Nov-Dec I'm assuming. Of course no one is stopping you from forming an international page for your intake to get acquainted and help each other sort out visa, flight, housing, etc. Until then, enjoy your time off, work, travel, do other things non-medicine related since you'll have plenty of time to do med things in Jan.

Shoot me a message if you want more info and I can try answering it from a 1st yr perspective :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all, just got my acceptance today. Looking forward to four years of study and sun :D

Has anyone started their visa application? Any idea what additional proof they are looking for, in addiction to our CoE, as evidence for our intention to study in Australia?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone started their visa application? Any idea what additional proof they are looking for, in addiction to our CoE, as evidence for our intention to study in Australia?
Should be sufficient. Granted its been too long ago for me to remember clearly.

Once you apply you'll be assigned an officer who will process your application. They'll email you directly, if there's additional items they'll ask. Student visas aren't difficult to obtain. Don't fret.

If I remember correctly, that's really all you need. Then you just need to put together some BS to answer why Aus, your intentions etc.

If I remember correctly, that's really all you need. Then you just need to put together some BS to answer why Aus, your intentions etc.

I found this helpful advice from UQ for what to put in your visa application's "Genuine Temporary Entrant" section's statement of purpose:

EDIT: It won't let me post links as I am a noob, so just google "UQ_GTE_Statement_of_Purpose.pdf"

They don't have a group as of yet. 2020 is as far as it goes for now.
It is really early in the year (just remembering that). semesters don't start till Feb or March. Creating your own group is another option. Or creep the 2020 one. GUMSS has it's own group for all students - which you should join. But I mean, why's it gotta be lively in here when you haven't even started anyway?

Last edited:
Thanks all for the useful Visa application tidbits. Has anyone else out there started looking at housing options? I was looking at renting at the Sphere as I wanted something walking distance and pet friendly. Anyone know if it's difficult to sign a lease in Australia from Canada without actually viewing the apartment?

Thanks all for the useful Visa application tidbits. Has anyone else out there started looking at housing options? I was looking at renting at the Sphere as I wanted something walking distance and pet friendly. Anyone know if it's difficult to sign a lease in Australia from Canada without actually viewing the apartment?
Don't sign anything without viewing the accommodation first in person.

If you're not sure about how to approach the rental market, start with student accommodation - but ones that are connected to your school (not the private ones like Unilodge). Or book an appt with student housing advisors. Finally, only apply to one unit at a time, because the application is pretty much the contract. You'll be obligated to pay rent if you if you formally apply and they accept.

typically leases come in 6 month or 12 month contracts, with penalty if you break it.

if you have time and patience for it, read some of the facts on the RTA website - Renting | Residential Tenancies Authority.

Obviously that's just advice.
But I'd suggest arriving early, stay at a hostel or some place nice a couple of days based on budget. Then booking a few viewings and picking one at a time to apply to.

As a last resort, do a 6 month lease in case you hate it.

Last edited:

Once you have submitted your Visa application, they will send you a medical form that has be filled up by the doctor's they recommend . You may have to do some tests too and I think it depends if you had mentioned if you had done any travelling.
Accommodation - you will find many others on FB looking for roommates , if you want to take that route .

I live at Sphere right now. It is a very nice complex, approx. 15-20 min walk to campus. The only downside is it is not close to grocery stores so it's a little bit of an inconvenient if you don't have a car. I'd stay away from GUV & UV from friends experiences. Try to stick along the tram line if you can (e.g. Southport).

As for FB group, just wait for the 2021 class group GUMS going to make in Dec. Everyone is gearing up for end of year exams right now.

Hi everyone! I just accepted my offer to Griffith.
I made an unofficial facebook group for us to connect with each other. This website wont let me post the link because I'm too new, but here's the name: International Medical Students - Griffith University, Class of 2021

See you all in January!

Someone messaged me, and suggested send the URL after the backslash. Here it is!
/groups/727076280827254/
We are currently not very active (because there is three of us), but I am really looking forward to making some connections with you guys!

Also, does anyone know which day classes actually start? I am seeing stuff that says both Jan. 15th, Jan. 20th, and Feb. 20th! I hope they can clarify it soon - I need to give two months of notice at my job.

Also, does anyone know which day classes actually start? I am seeing stuff that says both Jan. 15th, Jan. 20th, and Feb. 20th! I hope they can clarify it soon - I need to give two months of notice at my job.
As far as I understand our program starts January 16th? That's what Oztrekk told me and what is listed as the start date on our CoE. Has anyone heard any different? Now I'm quite confused regrading the day we start...

Last edited:
I couldn't find the tentative schedule, but last I heard the second years are starting on Jan 23rd. Usually the first years start a week before that so Jan 16th sounds about right. Med starts the earliest in the year and also are the last ones to finish.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys! Congratulations on everyone’s acceptances. I have requested to join your Facebook group as well. I am from India/Oman and U.K.
joining Medicine in 2018 at Griffith. Look forward to meeting you guys.

Also might be a bit late due to a late offer (December) and hence visa. Would really appreciate keeping in touch with you guys to find out what I might be missing.