Great opportunity for current MS-2s & MS-3s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gfunk6

And to think . . . I hesitated
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
UCSF Medical Student Rad Onc Fellowship

Bertram V.A. Low-Beer Memorial Fellowship in Oncology

University of California, San Francisco
Department of Radiation Oncology
8 - 10-Week Fellowship for
3rd or 4th Year U.S. Medical Students

The Department of Radiation Oncology at the University of California, San Francisco announces the availability of an annual fellowship in memory of Bertram V.A. Low-Beer, a former Chairman of the department. The fellowship will support a medical student to spend 8 - 10 weeks in the Department of Radiation Oncology at UCSF. It carries a stipend of $1,500. One fellowship will be awarded annually at the discretion of the department.

During the 8 - 10 weeks experience, the student will spend half of his/her time in the clinic, time interviewing patients, physical examination, and learning about the natural history, and treatment techniques of cancer.

The student will spend the other half of his/her time participating in a small research project. The findings of that review will be presented to the staff and residents. In some cases a paper may result from this research.

Prerequisite for the fellowship is completion of at least two years of training at an ACGME approved United States medical school.

Please send curriculum vitae, a statement of interest, three letters of reference, and a letter of reference from the Dean, medical school and undergraduate transcripts to:

Joycelyn Speight, M.D., Ph.D.
Assistant Clinical Professor and Educational Programs Director
c/o Mirian Gray
UCSF Box 0226
San Francisco CA 94143-0226

Deadline for application submission is February 20, 2008

2 months in the Bay Area + good RadOnc clinical exposure + opportunity to get research published + THEY PAY YOU = win all around!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for posting this -- very informative! Question though - your header says great for MS2s/MS3s, but the application is limited to MS3's/MS4's. AsI'm an MS2, can I apply for this for a rotation during my third year, or should I wait until next year? Thanks!

Prerequisite for the fellowship is completion of at least two years of training at an ACGME approved United States medical school.

If you are a current MS-2, then you will be an MS-3 by the time June-July rolls around. This is typically when the fellowship begins. Another good (possibly better) start tiime would be to apply in your mid MS-3 so that you can start @ the beginning of your MS-4.

I can tell all interested parties that b/c of the long list of application pre-reqs (CV + statement of intent + 3 letters of rec + Dean's letter) not many people apply. If you do, you stand an excellent chance of getting the fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks -- I'll probably wait until next year to apply for this then, as I think you're right that it would be better to do this rotation at the beginning of my fourth year!

Thanks again for posting this.

If you are a current MS-2, then you will be an MS-3 by the time June-July rolls around. This is typically when the fellowship begins. Another good (possibly better) start tiime would be to apply in your mid MS-3 so that you can start @ the beginning of your MS-4.

I can tell all interested parties that b/c of the long list of application pre-reqs (CV + statement of intent + 3 letters of rec + Dean's letter) not many people apply. If you do, you stand an excellent chance of getting the fellowship.

Also I'm not sure how many med schools have a flexible 3rd or 4th year to allow this since this would potentially take up 2-3 4week electives.

The deadline for this fellowhip is coming up in about a month. I'm not exaggerating when I say the odds are quite good if you apply b/c this program is not very well-advertised and the # of letters of support is steep.

Give it a shot if you have an interest!

is it better to apply mid MS3 because that way you will have had some experience in other clerkships?

is it better to apply mid MS3 because that way you will have had some experience in other clerkships?

Yes, definitely the best time to apply is half-way through your MS-3 (actually more than half since the app deadline is in late Feb). That way you will have all of your core clerkships out of the way before you start.

BTW, in response to another poster's PM, here is an important point: the fellowship does NOT have set dates. Obviously it behooves you to do it early in the fourth year but the exact times are left to the discretion of the fellow.

FYI...I spoke with the coordinator of the fellowship at UCSF a couple days ago and she said as of right now they are not accepting applications for next year. Apparently they are in the process of getting the fellowship "back up and running". She said to try her back in a month.

Yeah I got the same story with the added "wow, that shouldn't be on the website anymore." They said they are trying to arrange for 1 to 2 spots in similar fellowships of next year, but as of right now there is nothing going on. Oh well, sounded great.

So sorry everyone. Since it was on the website still with the new 2008 deadline date I also wrongly assumed it was on. Here's the deal:

1. They are trying to split it up into two fellowships each with a different "name" from the previous one
2. They ware trying to work out the funding
3. The tentative plan is to have something in place by summer

I realize that this may be late for many of you who are scheduling externships prior to this and for that I am sorry. However, I will keep my eye on what's going on and will update when the new fellowships start up.

So sorry everyone. Since it was on the website still with the new 2008 deadline date I also wrongly assumed it was on. Here's the deal:

1. They are trying to split it up into two fellowships each with a different "name" from the previous one
2. They ware trying to work out the funding
3. The tentative plan is to have something in place by summer

I realize that this may be late for many of you who are scheduling externships prior to this and for that I am sorry. However, I will keep my eye on what's going on and will update when the new fellowships start up.

thanks gfunk. we all appreciate what you and the experienced members are doing to help alert us of opportunities we might not otherwise ever hear about!

thanks gfunk. we all appreciate what you and the experienced members are doing to help alert us of opportunities we might not otherwise ever hear about!

No problem, it's my pleasure really. Apologies again though for misleading you all on the fellowship availability. I'm glad a few of you called and got the skinny before putting the application together.

Just a helpful bump for medical students this year who may be interested in this fellowship.

The Department of Radiation Oncology at the University of California, San Francisco offers an annual medical student fellowship to fourth year medical students. The fellowship will support a medical student to spend 8 - 10 weeks in the Department of Radiation Oncology at UCSF. It carries a stipend of $1,500. The fellowship will be awarded annually at the discretion of the department.

During the 8 - 10 weeks experience, the student will spend half of his/her time in the clinic, time interviewing patients, physical examination, and learning about the natural history, and treatment techniques of cancer.

The student will spend the other half of his/her time participating in a small research project. The findings of that review will be presented to the staff and residents. In some cases a paper may result from this research.

Prerequisite for the fellowship is completion of at least three years of training at an ACGME approved United States medical school.

Please send your curriculum vitae, a statement of interest, three letters of recommendation, names and contact information of 3 references, a letter of reference from the Dean of your medical school and undergraduate transcripts to:

Mirian Gray
Educational Programs Manager
University of California, San Francisco
1855 Folsom Street, MCB 200
San Francisco, CA. 94103 - 0806
Phone. (415) 514-2345
Fax. (415) 476-9069

E-mail: [email protected]

Deadline for application submission is April each academic year.

Just a helpful bump for medical students this year who may be interested in this fellowship.

Awesome.
So did they change the name of it? I can't imagine any better name than the Bertram V.A. Low-Beer Memorial Fellowship in Oncology.

I mean VA + Beer... sign me up already!

Is this still available? I'm finishing my third year in about a month.