Graduating in 3 years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nikki9

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys...

I am planning on graduating in 3 years instead of 4 and trying to go straight into med school. Advisors at my school advice me not to because they believe that med schools look down upon graduating early. They see it as a sign of immaturity. Does anyone know if this is true? Is it any harder to get accepted to med schools if you are a year younger?

thanks - Nicole

Members don't see this ad.

Just apply, wait, and hopefully an acceptance:clap:

What do advisors know!!!!!

I don?t think that it will look bad if you were to graduate a year earlier. As long as you have your Bachelor degree, do good on MCAT and fulfill all other requirements (volunteer and such), you will be just fine.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a third year and plan to graduate in June. I am currently applying and have gotten interviews to many top tier schools. If you have good numbers and extracurrics, I wouldn't worry about graduating early hurting you.

thas dumb... look at the ppl who got in early! the advisors just want you around longer to pay extra money in room and board......

Graduating in 3 years can be viewed by adcoms as a lack of maturity however if you have good grades and good ECs then I doubt it will be a problem. If you interview early at schools with rolling admissions policies, then they won't even see your fall semester grades. For schools that send out letters in March, I would keep real busy during what would be your fall semester and send them a letter with all of your activities after your interview.

I think it is a *small* negative...it just means you are younger...so long as you can show that you are sufficiently mature...it shouldnt be a huge deal...and of course you have to have the appropriate qualifications...stats etc.....i'm planning on doing the same thing....just trying to make certain that i'm better numbers wise than the average applicant...just in case there is a little bias against the young...cant hurt....

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet but should be is the notion of judgment. Medical school want to see you that you are capable of making good choices in your life. If graduating early results in a lower GPA, reduced extrcurricular activities, reduced clinical exposure/volunteering, and an unhappy undergraduate career, adcoms may question your judgment. Obviously, everything depends on the person doing it. Just be sure that, if you go ahead with graduating early, when you apply there won't be any places where an adcom will question your decisions. Since you'd be in a very unique position, adcoms will be all the more willing to scrutinize your history and decision-making.