Graduating this coming spring in 3 years, really confused what to do for my gap year (or if it really matters in that regard) !!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonimo21

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
tldr at bottom;

I am taking 1 gap year (really just my sr yr since I graduate early) but also debating taking 2 gap years (again really just 1 year extra) and I am going back and forth. I already have a strong application and the experiences needed to apply, but 2 years might give me time to do something more useful that'll set me apart. I am also young (just turning 20 next month) so I am not in a rush to apply or anything. Currently, the options I am debating are americorps (1 year), peace corps (2 years), Teach for America (2 years), & NIH IRTA (either 1 year or two years). My current weak point would be non clinical volunteering so I am straying away from the NIH IRTA even though that would be easier for me to get.

Another concern, is that if I am applying the same year as this gap year does it really matter what I do? It is not like I will be able to write much about it anyway, I can only project hours and say "I will do..." not "I did...". I am currently heavily considering americorps/TFA because I would get to live at home and I would like to spend some time with my family before I leave for med school. This is the only thing holding me back from doing peace corps (volunteer abroad for 2 years) b/c on paper I like that opportunity the best but that will keep me away from home.

This is where my app currently stands. This does NOT include hours from my 3rd year so I will have more hours by application time:

edit: [deleted for privacy]

tldr: graduating in 3 years so I have a free year don't know what I should focus on. Does it even matter since I can't really do much besides project hours in my app anyways? Will two years give me a better shot at T20s?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don’t sleep on the mcat. Being good at standardized tests may be one tool that will help with one aspect of taking the test, but you cannot rely on that to assume you’ll get a good score. There’s a reason only 2% of takers score 520+. You still need to plan to invest significant time and effort into studying for the test, and account for that time and effort when planning your future as a premedical student.

Reactions: 1 users
Don’t sleep on the mcat. Being good at standardized tests may be one tool that will help with one aspect of taking the test, but you cannot rely on that to assume you’ll get a good score. There’s a reason only 2% of takers score 520+. You still need to plan to invest significant time and effort into studying for the test, and account for that time and effort when planning your future as a premedical student.

yeah sorry that wasn’t worded the best. It’s definitely not going to be easy, it’s probably going to suck a lot but at the end of the day I know I have the work ethic to get it done if i want it bad enough. I have already ordered my books, and have budgeted 6-8 months to study for it rather than cramming in 6 weeks. my main question was about the gap year dilemma.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This suggestion will have nothing to do with applying to medical school, but I would do the Peace Corps. Do it because you really want to make a difference in the world and not to make you look good for medical school. It also gives you a chance to really grow up and mature as an adult. I know very few people who regret doing Peace Corps.

Reactions: 4 users
tldr at bottom;

I am taking 1 gap year (really just my sr yr since I graduate early) but also debating taking 2 gap years (again really just 1 year extra) and I am going back and forth. I already have a strong application and the experiences needed to apply, but 2 years might give me time to do something more useful that'll set me apart. I am also young (just turning 20 next month) so I am not in a rush to apply or anything. Currently, the options I am debating are americorps (1 year), peace corps (2 years), Teach for America (2 years), & NIH IRTA (either 1 year or two years). My current weak point would be non clinical volunteering so I am straying away from the NIH IRTA even though that would be easier for me to get.

Another concern, is that if I am applying the same year as this gap year does it really matter what I do? It is not like I will be able to write much about it anyway, I can only project hours and say "I will do..." not "I did...". I am currently heavily considering americorps/TFA because I would get to live at home and I would like to spend some time with my family before I leave for med school. This is the only thing holding me back from doing peace corps (volunteer abroad for 2 years) b/c on paper I like that opportunity the best but that will keep me away from home.

This is where my app currently stands. This does NOT include hours from my 3rd year so I will have more hours by application time:

s/cgpa: 3.85-3.89 range

mcat: as of right now planning on taking it in April but I am not worried about scoring well (520+) bc I am good at standardized tests

Clinical: 500 hrs EMT from high school (including bc I continued into uni), 350 PCT and 150 EMT from uni

Research: 1650 hrs, 2 uni research awards, 1 national research award, 2 posters no pubs expecting to win 1 more uni award before graduating

Non-clinical volunteering: 300 hrs on community project for underserved area with award/grant from uni (not sure if this is leadership or volunteering) + 40 hrs in soup kitchen

Leadership: 180 hrs in local government

Shadowing: 20 hrs

Misc clubs + hobbies

tldr: graduating in 3 years so I have a free year don't know what I should focus on. Does it even matter since I can't really do much besides project hours in my app anyways? Will two years give me a better shot at T20s?
Americorps/TFA/Peace Corps would all be fantastic experiences for you. If you have lived most of your life in the U.S., Peace Corps would be a life-changing experience that you may not have the opportunity to do again. Americorp and TFA would also be life changing, but perhaps not as much as the Peace Corps because you will still be in the U.S. and in an English-speaking environment.

I think you need to weigh up whether really stretching and going with the PC is worth moving a way from your family for the next couple of years.

Bottom line: You have wonderful opportunities ahead of you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users