Graduating early - a good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thelarson

MSU Pre-Vet Class of 2010
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a second year pre-vet and came into undergrad with 25 AP credits (bio, physics, calc I, english lit and comp), meaning I currently have junior status. I had always planned on staying in college for 4 years so I could study abroad for a semester and take extra courses that interest me, but lately I've been thinking about graduating in 3 years, in May 2009 instead of 2008, thus moving up my vet school application to next fall.

I've already had time to take extra courses like Comparative Anatomy, Histology, and I'm taking Zoo and Aquarium Science and a graduate course in animal welfare next semester. I'm also planning a few more extra upper-level science courses for next year. I could get all of my zoology requirements, as well as the requirements for a minor in international development, by the end of next year. I'm studying abroad this summer in Kenya (a program about African mammals), and, instead of doing Semester at Sea the fall of my 4th year like I had planned, I'm considering doing my own circumnavigation of the globe between undergrad and vet school, which would still be much cheaper then doing Semester at Sea. In fact, by graduating early, I'd save about $30,000.

My overall GPA is a 3.8, most of which is composed of science courses (though I haven't tabulated my science GPA yet) and I'm in the Honors College. I have ~350 small animal hours, >400 research hours running my own equine biomechanics research project through our CVM, ~50 hours emergency, and hundreds of hours working in kennels and with horses.

So, what do you think? Will I miss out on opportunities in undergrad by rushing through? I absolutely love college, but would it ultimately be good to push through and go to vet school a year early? Thoughts and opinions appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

That is exactly what I did, along with around 4 other OSU undergrad students in my current vet class. I applied, knowing that if I didn't go in I could just continue with my original plan of going my senior year in college. I absolutely loved undergrad, but I'm really glad I made this decision.

Just be prepared to explain why you want to do this and whether or not you feel you are missing out on the college experience. I said something along the lines of - by being involved in the organizations I was involved in (and listing them) and taking advantage of all of the opportunities I did (and list them) I got more out of my undergrad experience than most people get out of all 4 years.

I also graduated in 3 years, and for me, it is a decision I regret. I feel like I missed out on some important parts of UG. I didn't study abroad (although you are planning to, which is great), and I didn't really climb the hierarchy ladder for activities, as those roles typically went to those who were involved for four years. Of course, my situation is unique as I took a year off, so technically I graduated with the same people who were in my freshman class, and while I was gone they were still at school reinforcing friendships, etc.

I think when you graduate is a highly personal decision, though. Having one more year in school is probably beneficial in terms of maturity and life experience, but it sounds as though you are making good use of your 3 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did my undergrad in 3 years. I don't really regret it, especially when I think about being in school another year. What I really missed was going to Keeneland, Churchill Downs, and the Ky Horse Park and being in central Kentucky during foaling season. Now Im just in west philadelphia...

Of course, my situation is unique as I took a year off, so technically I graduated with the same people who were in my freshman class, and while I was gone they were still at school reinforcing friendships, etc.

I finished a bit under 3.5, for similar reasons taking some time off. If I could have finished in 3, I definitely would have. Taking a heavier course load kept me busy, busy, busy especially during the summers. I was able to experience different college environments since I studied at different colleges than my undergraduate school during the summers (Spanish, Maths, but not my sciences). So for me, it was a great advantage particularly since my undergraduate school is small and private and the summer colleges were not.

I'm not sure how most colleges are about completing early, but I had to jump multiple ropes every year particularly with begging the dean to take extra coursework. They really wanted to make sure students wouldn't bring down their GPA by doing so, so all grades were reviewed by the administration so they could yank the cord if anything bad began to happen - talk about motivation!

But heck, if your school accepted all those AP credits go for it! Especially since you don't seem to have been slacking on your vet/animal experience.

Edit: Though this year off I've been REALLY missing being in an academic environment. I regret not enrolling even just for 1 class to keep my mind from committing mental suicide on everything I learned.

Some schools will also accept you after sophomore year if you have strong grades and a lot of experience. It is contingent on your completing the prereqs, but it could be something to look into.

I'll chime in with the wanderer's perspective. As an undergrad, vet med was not even on the radar screen. I did many things before doing science courses, and I have absolutely no regrets about any of it, other than not studying abroad. So, my advice to you is, you are young, take your time to enjoy life. Vet med will always be there.

$30,000 is a pretty significant amount of money, though UG really is an important experience, and I think people should try and make the most of the 4 years. I was in a similar position, but I chose to take more classes to round out my education. I was also an athlete, so there was no way I was going to leave an eligibility year on the table. :D

-t

For those who are saying graduating early is a good idea:

How competitive do my stats look so far? I would probably add about 300 more research hours, 50 more small animal hours, and hopefully 100 or more large animal and/or zoo hours before next fall.

Also, do you think it would be too hectic to graduate from undergrad, leave almost immediately to backpack around the world on my own, and then start vet school a few weeks after I get back? Especially if I have to move to a new city? Would moving in just before school starts impact my ability to establish residency in another state (I'm thinking about Washington State)?

So much to think about - and I pretty much need to decide before spring semester of this year.

Thanks for your input!

I think your stats look very nice - have you taken the GRE yet?

You sound like you're in quite the hurry to get things done :)

I suppose it depends on your personality -- how much downtime you'd like. For some it could be too hectic, for others it sounds like a great adventure.

The world and vet school aren't going anywhere. They'll still be around in another year. You'll have the rest of your life to work, so don't rush too much : )

But keep in mind WSU starts early/mid August, so if you're from a school that graduates in mid June, you're not going to have a lot of travel time.

Washington's 1st year students must be there one week before classes start -- they have a week long team building camp, with the white coat ceremony at the end. Plus you'll need to find housing, get settled, etc.....

And I kind of chuckled about "Especially if I have to move to a new city?" because Pullman is pretty much the opposite of a city. It's a very itsy bitsy little, little town : )

I'm not sure about the residency requirements....you'll probably want to talk to a school advisor.

I think your stats look really good. If you have great references and a well written personal statement you have a great shot (in my opinion). Are you applying to MSU also (I see that is your undergrad)? A lot of people moved in just a few weeks before school started so I don't think that is a problem, as long as you are incredibly organized about getting in all of your forms and ordering books etc. If you have internet access it shouldn't be too big of a problem, but I might consider shortening your trip a little to give you plenty of time to adjust.

I did undergrad in 3 yrs as well. Honestly, I think I'd make the same decision again. . . but -- DO make sure you're enjoying yourself.

PS -- our last final of vet school semester #1 was this morning -- so I'm happy as a peach.

I am graduating this May after 3 years of undergrad. Whether or not I get accepted to vet school the first time around, I think I'll be glad I made this choice. I graduated high school early and took a year off to work/get vet experience and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Plus, I knew going into college that I would be graduating in a shorter amount of time, so I was able to pace myself accordingly in terms of taking on leadership roles in organizations I am a part of, etc. I go to a pretty small school (~2400 students), so next year I know I'll really miss my day-to-day interactions with professors and friends that will still be there. And, to top it all off, I'll be saving $8,000 in tuition/room, not to mention books, plane tickets and the like!