About to graduate with MS and no DVM acceptance yet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Allcreatures355

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I have a dilemma. I have my bachelors degree in veterinary science and all the pre reqs for vet school from a university. My overall GPA was 2.8. I have clinical experience in small animal/exotic with about 7,000 hours of experience as a head veterinary assistant and surgical assistant as well. I have farm experience as I grew up on a beef farm that was also a dairy farm. I have had two strong vet recommendations, a genetics professors recommendation, and an advisor (also DVM) recommendation. I have community service and club participation hours. I have some awards such as FFA/4H, small animal preventative care certificate. I feel that my essay is good and very thorough, but I may be wrong. I have applied for 3 VMCAS cycles. First I was rejected from 6 schools, second I was rejected from 4, and then decided this past year to attend LMUs VBMS program. I got a 2.733 GPA (B, C,A, B, C) the first semester, and this last semester I think I should have minimally a 3.5 GPA, bringing my masters degree GPA to about a 3.12. I applied to two colleges for VMCAS this cycle (third cycle) and was rejected from both OSU and LMU. I am unsure of what I should do now. I know I 100% want to go to vet school and will be applying the first day I can for VMCAS. I can’t find courses to take equivalent to the two Cs I got last semester (vet anatomy and physiology) without being a degree seeking student and I am hoping to be looked at for Spring LMU admissions. Should I take more courses? Should I focus on more hours? Should I work on something else? I’m very frustrated and lost.

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend you go up to the WAMC sub forum and follow the format that's in those posts. It lays out all your data in an organized fashion for us to be able to help you best

Reactions: 1 user
Hey there, I’ll be honest with you, I think this may be something you should contact LMU directly with. If I remember correctly, the masters program LMU has can help your chances with getting into their program if you receive satisfactory grades above a certain gpa. Some schools like seeing masters degrees to see how students excel with higher level classes to prove they will be successful in the program, and while I’m not saying your grades are horrible, I don’t think they are helping you. I did not have amazing grades in undergrad and my prevet advisor told me there was no way I was going to vet school unless I did a masters, but I knew I didn’t want to do a masters so I didn’t. I think you’re in a tricky situation, so I would email the schools, especially LMU, directly to see what you can do and how you can improve your application for this cycle. Don’t give up, it took me 3 attempts to get in after applying to 10-13 schools each cycle, and it only took one yes.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree that you should discuss with LMU how you can improve to be accepted. I had classmates in the VBMS program who had to repeat those classes for a semester and then when they improved, were accepted into the cvm. Don’t give up. It also took me 3 cycles to get in and I’m excelling better than undergrad and the VBMS program.

Reactions: 1 user