Graduating and moving to residency location ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jephyboy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble figuring out how the move will work? I'm finishing rotations in late April; graduation ceremony in early June; start residency at WRAMC about a week after graduation. Both my rotation location and graduation are at two different places on the west coast.

When do orders usually get cut to start residency? Just got the contract for FYGME training in the mail and they want you to write an address where the orders will be sent (which will also be the same address where the household goods will be picked up). I don't plan on sticking around much longer after I finish my last rotation in late April.

Can I move my stuff after I finish my last rotation, but before I graduate? What if the orders aren't cut when I finish my rotations; do I have to stick around until the orders are cut to plan the move? I've got a timeline to work with because of my apartment contract ending shortly after my last rotation.

Suggestions/insights? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

jephyboy said:
I'm having trouble figuring out how the move will work? I'm finishing rotations in late April; graduation ceremony in early June; start residency at WRAMC about a week after graduation. Both my rotation location and graduation are at two different places on the west coast.

When do orders usually get cut to start residency? Just got the contract for FYGME training in the mail and they want you to write an address where the orders will be sent (which will also be the same address where the household goods will be picked up). I don't plan on sticking around much longer after I finish my last rotation in late April.

Can I move my stuff after I finish my last rotation, but before I graduate? What if the orders aren't cut when I finish my rotations; do I have to stick around until the orders are cut to plan the move? I've got a timeline to work with because of my apartment contract ending shortly after my last rotation.

Suggestions/insights? Thanks.

I appreciate your problems considering I'm going through the same thing while also trying to get married and move overseas. Orders are supposed to be cut some time early to mid-March. From what I understand, different orders are cut regarding your PCS, your promotion, and your call to active duty. I think you can move a shipment anytime after you've received your PCS orders. For example, I'm planning on making a shipment to Hawaii sometime in April although I won't be graduating until mid to late-May. I am pretty sure though that they'll only ship your household goods from one address, so regardless, you need to make sure you can get all the things you want moved to one location. I would, of course, appreciate anyone else's advice on this subject as well.

colbgw02 said:
I appreciate your problems considering I'm going through the same thing while also trying to get married and move overseas. Orders are supposed to be cut some time early to mid-March. From what I understand, different orders are cut regarding your PCS, your promotion, and your call to active duty. I think you can move a shipment anytime after you've received your PCS orders. For example, I'm planning on making a shipment to Hawaii sometime in April although I won't be graduating until mid to late-May. I am pretty sure though that they'll only ship your household goods from one address, so regardless, you need to make sure you can get all the things you want moved to one location. I would, of course, appreciate anyone else's advice on this subject as well.

I got one set of orders. "YOU ARE ORDERED TO ACTIVE DUTY IN THE GRADE OF RANK SHOWN ABOVE FOR THE PERIOD SHOWN IN ACTIVE DUTY COMMITMENT BELOW. YOU ARE ASSIGNED AS SHOWN AND WILL PROCEED FROM YOUR CURRENT LOCATION IN TIME TO REPORT ON THE DATE SHOWN BELOW."

The date on these orders: 5 May 2005. I, too, was under the impression that the orders would come some time in March, so this was somewhat aggravating as I was gone most of November. Luckily, there was no availability problems with the movers. I heard that different MEDCENs got their orders out at different times, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
bogatyr said:
I got one set of orders. "YOU ARE ORDERED TO ACTIVE DUTY IN THE GRADE OF RANK SHOWN ABOVE FOR THE PERIOD SHOWN IN ACTIVE DUTY COMMITMENT BELOW. YOU ARE ASSIGNED AS SHOWN AND WILL PROCEED FROM YOUR CURRENT LOCATION IN TIME TO REPORT ON THE DATE SHOWN BELOW."

The date on these orders: 5 May 2005. I, too, was under the impression that the orders would come some time in March, so this was somewhat aggravating as I was gone most of November. Luckily, there was no availability problems with the movers. I heard that different MEDCENs got their orders out at different times, though.

Wow, that is late. Considering my report date is June 1, I certainly hope I get my orders well before that. Bogatyr, would you mind telling me what, if anything, your orders said regarding dependents? I've heard that our orders are agnostic with regard to spouses or children, but that was just an informed guess by a retiree. I'm concerned because if the orders are specific about dependents, then my upcoming marriage won't be legal in time.

On a slightly different topic, does anyone know the protocol for getting an active duty ID card? The lady who works at the local ID card office seemed to think that they can issue one within 14 days of the date on the orders, but she is, after all, a bureaucrat, so I'd like some independent confirmation from anyone in the know. This is an issue for me because I'm currently in the IRR and our ID cards are different from those in the ready reserve.

colbgw02 said:

How odd is it that we are in nearly the exact same situation....

I am also heading to Hawaii on June 1st. I graduate on May 27th and get married on May 28th. I am hoping this is a problem as I have put on just about every paper that we are engaged and will be married prior to me reporting....

colbgw02 said:
Wow, that is late. Considering my report date is June 1, I certainly hope I get my orders well before that. Bogatyr, would you mind telling me what, if anything, your orders said regarding dependents? I've heard that our orders are agnostic with regard to spouses or children, but that was just an informed guess by a retiree. I'm concerned because if the orders are specific about dependents, then my upcoming marriage won't be legal in time.

Down in the body of the orders it says: "MOVEMENT OF DEPENDENTS TO PERMANENT DUTY STATION AUTHORIZED AT GOVERNMENT EXPENSE. CONCURRENT TRAVEL AUTHORIZED. TRAVEL BY POV AUTHORIZED (CONUS). SHIPMENT OF POV NOT AUTHORIZED." Then further down it says: "DEPENDENT TRAVEL TO PERMANENT DUTY STATION IS AUTHORIZED. DEPENDENT NAME: SPOUSE: GOSPOZHA BOGATYR, DOB: 4/23/78."

I have know clue what it will mean for you that you won't be married when you get your orders. It may mean that she has to buy her own ticket to Honolulu ($800), and you won't get DLA.

I talked with the Army GME office this morning concerning my original post.

It turns out that you can have the orders sent to one address, and your household goods picked up at another location. You just need to notate it on the letter that you send back to them with the contract. She did say that the orders will be issued between mid-april to mid-may. And that if you need to change addresses, you will probably have up until late Feb to do so (after you submit the contract).

Does anyone know how the Do It Yourself moves work?