Least Competitive Army IM Residency/Location

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicineman5474

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
HPSP student here. I have a disciplinary action on my med school official transcript and am deathly terrified of not matching into anything. From the Army match stats, it is clear that FM and IM rarely get filled, more likely for IM. Thus, my plan is to apply IM but I want to rank the locations from #1 least popular location to #5 more popular location.

1. Does anyone have insight as to which IM locations are least competitive/popular to most competitive/popular? In other words, which IM residency locations are most often available in the Army scramble?
(ie WBAMC, SAUSHEC, MAMC, WRAMC, TAMC, Eisenhower, etc.)

- i checked the doximity residency ranking but am unsure if that reflects the most current trends.

2. Even if the spot goes unfilled and is available in the scramble, are the residencies likely to not rank you let the spot go unfilled through the scramble?

Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

HPSP student here. I have a disciplinary action on my med school official transcript and am deathly terrified of not matching into anything. From the Army match stats, it is clear that FM and IM rarely get filled, more likely for IM. Thus, my plan is to apply IM but I want to rank the locations from #1 least popular location to #5 more popular location.

1. Does anyone have insight as to which IM locations are least competitive/popular to most competitive/popular? In other words, which IM residency locations are most often available in the Army scramble?
(ie WBAMC, SAUSHEC, MAMC, WRAMC, TAMC, Eisenhower, etc.)

- i checked the doximity residency ranking but am unsure if that reflects the most current trends.

2. Even if the spot goes unfilled and is available in the scramble, are the residencies likely to not rank you let the spot go unfilled through the scramble?

Thank you in advance

You're not asking the right questions. Apply for the specialty you want, to all locations, and see what happens, be flexible with respect to geography. Nobody wants you in their IM and FM communities if you're not interested in being an internist or an FP.

You're not asking the right questions. Apply for the specialty you want, to all locations, and see what happens, be flexible with respect to geography. Nobody wants you in their IM and FM communities if you're not interested in being an internist or an FP.
I hear you. I want to do primary care and would be happy to do either. I just ask about the different locations because its something I want to sacrifice to maximize matching.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear you. I want to do primary care and would be happy to do either. I just ask about the different locations because its something I want to sacrifice to maximize matching.
So apply to both IM and FP (1st or 2nd choice, or vice versa, whatever have you), and apply to all locations. The Army will decide where you land. Take it and run with it.

Thus, my plan is to apply IM but I want to rank the locations from #1 least popular location to #5 more popular location.
Please, please, please don't do this.

The way the military match works (similar to the civilian match) is maximization of filled slots, and optimization of applicant's and program director's preferences. In short, if you are ranked AT ALL on a PD's list - you will get a residency spot in the program that you rank highest on your preference list, unless all other applicants rank that same program higher AND the PD ranks them higher than you.

For example, if you are less competitive and you are only ranked at the bottom of the program's lists by the PDs, and you get into your #1 and your #Last, you want to get matched to your #1, NOT your #Last. Ranking your #Last higher than you #1 does NOT increase your odds of matching under the design of the match - that is a game that the PDs have to play, which is why they all try to sell us so hard on their programs when applicants audition/interview.

If you had a great interview at someplace and want to go there, you should make it clear that you would be happy there and want to go - PD's like happy residents and are more likely to increase you on their list, rather than ranking a program you didn't vibe with at all and think is less competitive.

Rank the way you want to go, the system will put you into the first program (with an available spot) that you rank on your list. If you rank your actual #1 program last, it won't increase your odds of acceptance. If you're worried about not matching, apply to more programs in the mil GME match (It's free). There are 20-30 more army GME slots than applicants this year (USUHS/HPSP combined), similar to most years. I know HPSP aren't guaranteed a spot. But IM, FM and TY slots historically have always had at least a few extra spots each year.

Please, please, please don't do this.

The way the military match works (similar to the civilian match) is maximization of filled slots, and optimization of applicant's and program director's preferences. In short, if you are ranked AT ALL on a PD's list - you will get a residency spot in the program that you rank highest on your preference list, unless all other applicants rank that same program higher AND the PD ranks them higher than you.

For example, if you are less competitive and you are only ranked at the bottom of the program's lists by the PDs, and you get into your #1 and your #Last, you want to get matched to your #1, NOT your #Last. Ranking your #Last higher than you #1 does NOT increase your odds of matching under the design of the match - that is a game that the PDs have to play, which is why they all try to sell us so hard on their programs when applicants audition/interview.

If you had a great interview at someplace and want to go there, you should make it clear that you would be happy there and want to go - PD's like happy residents and are more likely to increase you on their list, rather than ranking a program you didn't vibe with at all and think is less competitive.

Rank the way you want to go, the system will put you into the first program (with an available spot) that you rank on your list. If you rank your actual #1 program last, it won't increase your odds of acceptance. If you're worried about not matching, apply to more programs in the mil GME match (It's free). There are 20-30 more army GME slots than applicants this year (USUHS/HPSP combined), similar to most years. I know HPSP aren't guaranteed a spot. But IM, FM and TY slots historically have always had at least a few extra spots each year.
Thank you very much for the insight. I completely agree with what you are saying under the assumption that students can “apply to more programs” or essentially apply to as many programs as they want.

I was under the impression that we could only rank 5 programs on the Army application service (MODS). Is this true?

Also, I agree that I will match some where as long as I am ranked even if I am at the bottom of the rank list. However, this assumes that I do get ranked. Is it likely that students get the “do not rank” applied to them? I only ask this because of my disciplinary action on my letter/transcript worries me regarding my chances of matching.

FWIW, I plan on addressing my issue it w/ PD’s during interviews/ADT’s. Thank you again for your insight!

I only ask this because of my disciplinary action on my letter/transcript worries me regarding my chances of matching.
Is this disciplinary action reportable to the HPSP 'program'? If so, have you reported it? School suspensions for example have to be reported.