Graduated with High Honors, overall GPa of 3.67, Science GPA of 3.67

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mikeyboy8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated with high honors by defending an undergraduate thesis and gained an overall GPA of 3.67 . My science GPA is also 3.67. I worked and performed research in a stem cell lab for 2 years and presented research at several conferences. I graduated a week ago and still need to study and take the MCAT. I start a fully funded thesis-based master's degree program in 2 weeks where I will be a graduate assistant and continue working in the stem cell research lab. I was wondering what are my chances of getting into medical school after getting a master's degree? I think I can finish all the coursework in 1.5 years depending on the outcomes of the thesis project.

Members don't see this ad.

The GPA alone is not nearly enough to answer properly. You need an MCAT score (the biggest factor) and a fuller description of other non-academic things on your application (volunteering, clinical exposure, etc) and some factors outside your control (race, state of residence). Your 3.67 is almost exactly average for accepted medical applicants, which is a good start!

Refer here for an idea of what is important in this process, and be sure to post again in What Are My Chances when you have an MCAT score!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
high honors probably wont mean anything. it will come down the research LOR+papers/posters