graduate school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtr

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I entered undergraduate college as a premed student but studied little and received poor grades my first few years. As each year passed my grades began to improve (i repeated organic 2 and brought my grade from a c- to an A) My last two semesters I earned a 3.9 and 4.0, bringing my GPA up to a 3.1. Now I knew that I had little chance at getting in to medical school so I applied to Optometry school and scored a 320 on the OAT's. I was accepted to optometry school but after observing and some thought I decided I was not willing to give up on my goal to going to medical school that easily. So I quickly applied to some masters programs and I was accepted to the masters program at Albany Medical College. I'm in my first semester and getting good grades (around B+). I'm a PCA on a trauma/general surgery floor, volunteer on a ped's floor (tutoring) and volunteer for the American Cancer Society. My questions are should I be looking into riding the ambulance? Doing some other activities? I haven't taken the MCAT's yet but plan to in the spring-I know that a lot depends on those scores but is this a good path to increase my chances to get into medical school? Albany does not have a link between its masters program and medical school, its a good 2 year program with research that I will allow me to get my name on some papers. Is this in your opinion a good path or should I be applying to the BU/EVMC type masters programs that link masters and medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Let me be honest with you, your GPA is a little weak and many allopathic schools don't consider graduate school GPA as the accumulative GPA. So your master gpa may not help you to get into that particiular school.

But don't give up yet. While you are there, get your face be known by the facutly in the medical college, especially those important and influential people. If you get to know the Dean or some program director, your chance of getting in is mcuh greater. That will get you some place!!

Make sure you did well in MCAT, this will prove that your capability, and your previous GPA is not the accurate reflection of you.

I wish you good luck

------------------
NSU 2002
(-@o@-)

[This message has been edited by Henry (edited 11-01-1999).]