Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thebeyonder

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have been stressing over high passing every class.
How important is it to get really good grades.
I am thinking of going into EM, radiology, or surgery.
Is it important to get all high passing grades or am I wrong?
I have heard that grades aren't as important as how well you do in your interships, and if people like you.
I guess I am interested how much grades count as far as getting into the residency that you want.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a 4th year DO student who will hopefully match into an MD EM residency... EM is relatively competitive...

My advice is to not "stress" out about it... just do waht you can. Grades aren't the only part of your application. As long as you are above the mean, its all good.

I am in the top 20% of my class (I think I'm around 17%) when it comes to grades. I do know people that match into EM who are in the bottom 1/3-1/4 though.

Q

good reply quinn,
while grades are important most important is your clinical letters and grades. Rotating in a top program and doing some research will help (see post in OB/Gyn forum I would use the same strategy). Make contact with an alum of your school who has secured a ER residency (unfortunately the most competitive program are allopathic) and ask their advice. Attend an area meeting/journal club and do 2 4th yr electives in ER or surgery to justify your interests
:) Diane