graded circle test results

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Od_IT

Salus (PCO) 2013
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am able to achieve 20 secs of arc ,without the stereo glasses, on the graded circles of the randot stereo test. I was wondering what this means?

I am a high myope, glasses: transitions, index 1.74, ar coating. Everything else being normal and with ideal testing conditions. How is this possible?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you get to twenty seconds by guessing, or could you actually "see" the dimensionality of the ring without the polarizers?

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't mean anything. The Wirt circles are a global stereo test and there are other visual cues that tell you something is "different" about this circle. Sans polarized glasses, I would say it looks kind of fuzzier than the other 2 circles. It doesn't look stereo-y the way it does when you DO wear the glasses, but it's enough to signal to you which one of these things is not like the other.

Sans polarized glasses, I would say it looks kind of fuzzier than the other 2 circles. It doesn't look stereo-y the way it does when you DO wear the glasses, but it's enough to signal to you which one of these things is not like the other.

Yeah, but not by the time you're on the last (twenty-second) set...

not by guessing. I can see, without the polarizers. dimension is visible, but takes me a sec or so to notice the subtle ques.

Your test may be defective. I know of several people in my class who had to return theirs for a replacement because the disparity in the circles was visible to the naked eye. I guess it makes sense that you should be able to see a small disparity with the naked eye for the first few sets....but surely not all the way down to 20 arcsec. I'm not saying your test is defective, but it's possible. :)

Your test may be defective. I know of several people in my class who had to return theirs for a replacement because the disparity in the circles was visible to the naked eye. I guess it makes sense that you should be able to see a small disparity with the naked eye for the first few sets....but surely not all the way down to 20 arcsec. I'm not saying your test is defective, but it's possible. :)

Ours are all jacked up too. The R + L suppression test has the - and the L all faded out. So whether or not you're L Suppressing, the test looks like you are. It confused a lot of people for like 2 weeks. :p

not by guessing. I can see, without the polarizers. dimension is visible, but takes me a sec or so to notice the subtle ques.

Then I'd consider the possibility something is wrong with the sample: to my knowledge, it is not normal for the twenty-second ring to be discernible without the polarizing glasses.