Opternative $50 Online Refraction Vision Test Will Fail

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Optogal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
keywords: free, John Stossel, Steven Lee, Dan Bodde, Ayo Jimoh, Jana Schuster, Bruce Goldstick, Geoffrey Tabin, Ralph Lanciano

I posted these thoughts to the other thread but it deserves its own thread for search engine optimization (SEO) purposes.

Opternative Will Fail

Refraction is at the mercy of technology eventually, but Opternative isn't the gamechanger. Why? The cost. At $50, this DIY internet thing seems like an even worse value than a (say) $95 eye exam from an optometrist. Maybe I'm totally wrong on this but let me explain why and how I'd do things if I was this company.

Clearly Contacts got into the market because successfully because they knew they had a viable product/service that would eventually succeed, but they probably also realized that people had some reservations about getting glasses online. So the first year they were in the business, they gave away free glasses. All you had to do was pay shipping. At least that's how it was in Canada. What they realized they needed, was a large enough base of "pilot" individuals to try out their product, and be able to tell others that it works just as they expected it to. The way they got people to use their service was by providing it for free. Free sells. And the rest was history.

At $50, people using Opternative are simply using an app. Doesn't that seem like a rip off to you? Like - apps are "free", so it seems the people running Opternative are getting an even bigger "mark up" than optometrists at the store that charge $20 more. If the whole idea about an alternative is to cut out the big mark-up big made by unscrupulous "middle-men" (people in the middle of your money and your RX for glasses), then it seems Opternative is lining the pockets of the owners at an even greater percentage than the optometrist that is allegedly ripping you off.

Opternative should basically roll out their service "for free" in the initial stages so that a meaningful number of people get familiar and comfortable using their service, so they can start telling others to use it. Later, their fee should run like $10 - $15, and that's it. At $50, I can't see anyone thinking they are getting a "good" deal, if for $65, they can get the friendly optometrist they've been seeing since they were 5, to do their eye exam and eye health check etc. The price simply isn't competitive enough for people to try an "experimental" DIY cheapie iPhone app. It has to basically be free.

If anyone says, "Hey but people will pay $50 for a pair of online glasses instead of $95". But that's different. In both cases you are getting glasses. You may perceive the product to be essentially the same. But in this case, I don't see how people think using an expensive app (who pays to use apps??) is the same as seeing an eye doctor. As well, they all know friends who got glasses online, during the free period, and it seemed to work out for them.

So basically, Opternative isn't the alternative. They are too greedy and no, their $50 eye exam isn't cheap. As a user, I'd probably wonder why it cost $50. Where did that money go? I provided the internet connection, the iPhone. So I don't see anything but a big mark-up. So I wouldn't necessarily feel I was doing anything but lining their pockets by using this service.

Members don't see this ad.

More on Opternative.

Opternative sues Warby Parker for allegedly stealing its online eye exam

On Warby Parker.

Warby Parker’s Prescription Check app lets you skip the eye doctor

Actually, if an online retailer of glasses (e.g. Clearly) provided this Rx thing for free, THAT would be a potential game changer. In fact, the irony is, Opternative would be the first to go. Actually - I'm going to make this prediction right now. Opternative will fail before the average optometrist does. Because a "free" opternative (which will happen eventually) will render Opternative obsolete before it makes an optometrist obsolete.

Dumb are the people who invest money in building up a $50 online DIY eye examination. Because a free alternative would obviously be around the corner. They would simply be doing the same service, but cheaper. As well, the irony is that Opternative's entire business model is predicated around the eye exam not being "good" value. Yet their service costs $50? If something is so worthless, then why is using their internet app so expensive?

Opternative will fail. $50? Give me a break.

Ok - a bit more. Opternative clearly has some competitors. Here's one based in the Middle East.

6over6

Not to mention Warby Parker's free service. It appears to be offline (probably due to the lawsuit by Opternative).

Prescription Check app | Warby Parker
Prescription Check app | Warby Parker
Rating: 4 - ‎111 votes - ‎Free - ‎iOS - ‎Health
Prescription Check is a mobile refraction service that, if you are eligible, allows an eye doctor to assess your vision and provide an updated glasses prescription.

Opternative is going to go down so badly. Who are they expecting will pay $50 for something they can get for free? I'm sure they are trying to do a good job with this, and hence the cost, but if anyone is willing to do an online refraction to save money, they'll go all the way and get it done by a free app won't they? By charging $50, Opternative will never reach the critical mass required (i.e. market share) to become profitable. The most they can hope for is to have their service bought out by a major player, but since refraction is simply an algorithm, why would anyone pay them for their intellectual property if they can just develop an algorithm themselves? Further, if Opternative is "good" and has value added stuff, just look at their service and "copy" their ideas. Opternative should've tried to enter the market at around $5, maybe that would've worked. Instead, they're getting no business at $50, and probably paying lawyers etc. to fight copyright infringement lawsuits. Problem is, even if they win them, the internet is global. What stops someone from (say) the Middle East) from providing a cheaper service without any copyright concerns? Exactly who is financing this and why are they continuing to finance this?

What I'm not saying is that online refraction won't be a game changer, but a $50 online refraction will not be a game changer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bottom line. Whoever you folks are who are funding this. Abandon ship! Give me a break. Why do you think the market will open up to your $50 online service?

All that "investment" poured into Harvard-educated ophthalmology backers (what cheque are they getting for affixing their name to your service? Why not just get Roger Federer? At least that way you'll fail with pizzazz.). And all that money paying lawyers to defend your "patents". Sorry - unless you enjoy paying for your lawyer's yachts, you aren't going to see any of that money back. You may win some suits but they will be pyrrhic victories. All it takes is some high school kid typing code in his basement to come up with a free alternative to your overpriced service.

Get out while you can!