grade dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

traveljunky

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
when appliying to optometry school how bad does it look if you recived an A in pre-calculus and then a B in Calculus?, chem 1-2 or any subject with two semesters for that matter?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

when appliying to optometry school how bad does it look if you recived an A in pre-calculus and then a B in Calculus?, chem 1-2 or any subject with two semesters for that matter?

thanks!

I wouldn't worry about little details like that. Focus on getting the highest overall GPA you can.

If you worry about the little things, your undergrad career and application processes will be a hell of a lot more stressful than they need to be.

im a little confused...u are stressed about a B? If optometry school is that competitive..im not even getting in this year! lol

Members don't see this ad :)

thanks!

you are totally screwed. you cannot mix grades in a series without expecting serious consequences.

you are totally screwed. you cannot mix grades in a series without expecting serious consequences.

Mix grades...? Wait... you mean people get grades other than As?

thanks!

Hmm... this is definitely a rare circumstance and not a favorable one either. Word of mouth is that they usually send people like you off to an "outcast" island. They don't like people getting B's and A's particularly in Pre-calculus. I don't know why you would go and get A's followed by B's... you know you are screwed. Your chances of being admitted to Optometry school have diminished significantly to 0%. I would try a new career like an optician.

In all seriousness though, why are you worrying about something so minuscule? You'll be fine.

Wow, harsh people. :p

Calculus is naturally more difficult than pre-calculus. Don't beat yourself up over it. You'd likely have to explain yourself in an interview if you got a C, but I wouldn't sweat a B in calculus. Of course it looks nice if you can maintain an A across the board, and if you do poorly in the first semester of something, it definitely helps to do well in the second semester when applicable. But I don't think you need to worry about it too much. Work for the A, but if a B happens, it happens.

thankx for your feedback EVERYONE. :thumbup:

I know maintaining an A would be the best route, but i just wanted to from from those who have already experienced the application process. (by the way- taking calc 1. during a 5 week summer semester is tougher than taking it in a regular spring/ fall smester:scared:)

p.s. loved the cruel humor!:laugh:

I know maintaining an A would be the best route, but i just wanted to from from those who have already experienced the application process. (by the way- taking calc 1. during a 5 week summer semester is tougher than taking it in a regular spring/ fall smester:scared:)

Just an FYI to ease your mind. I didn't have straight As and I didn't have a killer OAT score. I was accepted at all three schools I applied to: Waterloo, SCCO and ICO. Do not worry if you get 1, 2 or 10 Bs. It will work out for you in the end if you just keep your focus and do as best as you can.

Just an FYI to ease your mind. I didn't have straight As and I didn't have a killer OAT score. I was accepted at all three schools I applied to: Waterloo, SCCO and ICO. Do not worry if you get 1, 2 or 10 Bs. It will work out for you in the end if you just keep your focus and do as best as you can.

If you don't mind sharing, what did you get on your oat and how long ago was that? Just curious. Thanksssss!!!

Summer is always easier, at least imo too.

I'm glad you enjoyed the humor! :laugh:

You need not to worry about two classes just the overall gpa. B's aren't bad at all!