Grad plus Loans and private loans info needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmgirl2011

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone applied for the gradplus loan and if so how easy was the process? Did the approval process take a longtime. Also has anyone applied for private loans? I recieved some info about a chase educational loan, that doesnt depend it the amount of your program and they send the check directly to you. Has anyone tried to get one of these type of loans?? Any advice is welcomed...:)

Members don't see this ad.

Regarding the Chase Education Loan, I have done a couple of those. A couple words of advice: when filling out the online form, make sure EVERYTHING is accurate (especially in trying to determine the criteria you must meet for each type of loan). If you screw up anything, it delays the loan by days on end. However, if you do everything correctly, and fax them all the info (instead of mailing it), they usually send you a check within a few days to a week. In fact, you can pay like $5 to have them express mail it to you, on request. Also, expect your loan to be sold almost immediately, and then even a couple of more times. It's hard to keep track of who owns your loan after awhile! The only drawback I know of with these loans is the enormous interest rate you pay with them. I would really look into other forms of loans (i.e. Sallie Mae), and use the Chase loan as your last option. As far as these go, sorry, I too am investigating them and know very little right now. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions relating to Chase....

In general, the preference of loans (if the school offers them to you) go in this order:

Grants/Scholarships --> Perkins loans --> Stafford subsidized loans --> Health Professions loans --> Stafford unsubsidized loans --> GradPLUS loans --> private loans.

This is based on repayment plans, whether interest accrues during school, whether interest is subsidized while you're in school, and the interest rates.

In all cases except GradPLUS and private loans, your school will send you a promissory note. GradPLUS you need to apply through a qualified lender (I use BofA because they waive the 1% default fee which is nice). BofA has an online application process too which makes it much easier. It can take anywhere from 3 weeks to 6 weeks for the application to process, so start early (like now if you want your money by August).

Private loans are usually not preferred because the interest rates are/can be higher and may not be fixed (and the # of years you have to pay it off is minimal).
GradPLUS is capped at 8.5%. The rest are 5% I believe (fixed).

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's the part I am trying to work around...

"Borrow up to the full cost of your education less other aid received"

I need money above what the State has calculated as my yearly expense. Using their figures, $26K less $12K for tuition, they expect me to live on $14K? That doesn't even cover rent and food.

They force you into private lending <shudders>

I am wondering the same thing:
For private loans, can we borrow beyond what the school sets up as our budget (tuition, fees, living expenses)?? I'm already borrowing the full cost of attendance through subsidized and unsubsidized loans.

The living expense amount determined by my school seems very low and I'm thinking I might have to apply for a private loan..... or work more than I want to work during school. I have a mortgage!! :eek:

Wow,that was quick! Thanks so much for all the responses! Great advice.. I will look into the sallie mae loans, i hadnt thought of that. Yes, i understand you completly! My school was a little more generous in our money to live off of but i can use an extra 5000 myself! I am taking out the max for the sub and unsub and hopefully a perkins which all of that will make up the 40,000 they say you need for tuition and living expenses but I still need a bit more..I am going to check into the salliemae. As far as those private loans, I think you can take out more that what the school sets as a budget..I think..

I would also suggest talking with the financial aid office at your school to find out who their "preferred" lenders are. I don't know how much difference it really makes, but it seems like the preferred vendors waived various loan fees (distribution and insurance fees). I ended up with Wachovia for everything and as far as timing goes, I did everything in about 20 minutes (as long as you have your PIN from FAFSA) - that included the credit check for the GradPLUS loan and signing the master promissory notes (I don't know if all lenders let you do this online or not, but I would think so). It took a couple of days for the school to certify everything, but I was completely set in about a week.

REgarding private loans, lenders just want to verify that you are attending the school you say you are, and that the date you anticipate graduating is accurate. Aside from that, they don't care how much money you want or what you're going to use it for. So, yes, you can borrow more than you need!

When you go to fill out the application for alternative loans, it states that you can't take more than the cost of education. So does the school have to verify that you need more than the estimated cost?

I was under the impression that the Health Professions Loan requires both parents income information on your FAFSA, even if you're older than 25, independent, degreed, blah blah, etc. Does anyone know if this is true?

Also, I was told that if your parents income is at or above a certain level you wouldn't qualify for the Health Professions Loan. Anyone know what this level might be?

When you go to fill out the application for alternative loans, it states that you can't take more than the cost of education. So does the school have to verify that you need more than the estimated cost?

Sorry, I guess I should clarify my experience. I'm not sure as to which application you're referring to, but the one I was talking about is the Chase Education One educational loan. In that application, it is not required to itemize the expenses incurred due to tuition, books, etc. I was required only to request whatever amount I wanted, choose the school I was attending, and have a cosigner (I didn't make enough money in the job I was working at during that time) indicate his annual salary. Chase promotes the loan online by stating it is a loan you can use any way you please, for educational expenses.

when i received my financial aid package from school, only subsidized and unsubsidized federal loans and graduate plus loans were listed. there was no mention of a health professional's loan. however, i did see health professional's loan listed on citibank's website. which loan is better? can you get a health professional's loan even if it's not listed in your financial aid package from the school?

thanks ahead of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's the part I am trying to work around...

"Borrow up to the full cost of your education less other aid received"

I need money above what the State has calculated as my yearly expense. Using their figures, $26K less $12K for tuition, they expect me to live on $14K? That doesn't even cover rent and food.

They force you into private lending <shudders>

Talk to your school's financial aid office, usually they will make adjustments if you provide documentation why you need more than what they allow. Also, check to see if you are currently set-up as an on-campus student vs. off-campus student. The budget projects for both are completely different, as well as if you are in-state vs. out-of-state. If you are in serious financial need (like your parents don't make enough and your EFC is quite small), they very very rarely require you to go to private lending, especially if you are going to a state institution.

when i received my financial aid package from school, only subsidized and unsubsidized federal loans and graduate plus loans were listed. there was no mention of a health professional's loan. however, i did see health professional's loan listed on citibank's website. which loan is better? can you get a health professional's loan even if it's not listed in your financial aid package from the school?

thanks ahead of time.

heatlh professions loans are only given by the school if you completed the parents' section in FAFSA. It's also a needs-based loan.

I am wondering the same thing:
For private loans, can we borrow beyond what the school sets up as our budget (tuition, fees, living expenses)?? I'm already borrowing the full cost of attendance through subsidized and unsubsidized loans.

The living expense amount determined by my school seems very low and I'm thinking I might have to apply for a private loan..... or work more than I want to work during school. I have a mortgage!! :eek:

The problem with the mortgage is that it's not considered an educational expense. You aren't allowed to obtain federal aid for a non-educational expense. You would probably have to borrow against your home's equity to hold off that mortgage or speak to your lender to see if they can make accomodations. The interest rate for private loans isn't worth the mortgage rate.

bump:)

anyone have any thoughts for me on the best way to choose my lender?

Thanks again.

Well you can always go to the website of each lender and see what terms they offer. Although, based on your link. The best one i can see is the Med Preferred.

Well you can always go to the website of each lender and see what terms they offer. Although, based on your link. The best one i can see is the Med Preferred.

Binghamkid,

thanks for taking a look at that. I've been planning to go to the website of each but haven't yet, mainly cause of lack of free-time and secondly cause I haven't known what makes a good professional school loan/loan company (i.e., I haven't known how to compare pros/cons of each company). Thanks again for your words of wisdom:)

Any other thoughts from anyone on my choice of lenders and/or how I can figure out which lender is best?

Thanks again.

Binghamkid,

thanks for taking a look at that. I've been planning to go to the website of each but haven't yet, mainly cause of lack of free-time and secondly cause I haven't known what makes a good professional school loan/loan company (i.e., I haven't known how to compare pros/cons of each company). Thanks again for your words of wisdom:)

Any other thoughts from anyone on my choice of lenders and/or how I can figure out which lender is best?

Thanks again.

Generally there are several ways you want to evaluate loan companies.

1) Rates and fees: See if any of the companies offer to pay the origination/default fee.

2) Interest rate reductions: Most companies offer interest rate reductions for a series of on-time payments.

3) Monetary incentives: Some companies offer different percentages of rebates/credits for making a long-term period of on-time payments (2 to 3 years). You can easily save between 5 and 10% in payments this way.

4) Others offer different incentives: grace period extensions (if you're not sure you can get a job right away), etc. etc.

Find the one that gives you the most incentives.

Generally there are several ways you want to evaluate loan companies.

1) Rates and fees: See if any of the companies offer to pay the origination/default fee.

2) Interest rate reductions: Most companies offer interest rate reductions for a series of on-time payments.

3) Monetary incentives: Some companies offer different percentages of rebates/credits for making a long-term period of on-time payments (2 to 3 years). You can easily save between 5 and 10% in payments this way.

4) Others offer different incentives: grace period extensions (if you're not sure you can get a job right away), etc. etc.

Find the one that gives you the most incentives.

Wow! Thanks for all your help. I do have one additional question for you. How'd you come up with Med Preffered being the best one off the list of options I have? And, aren't origination fees expected up front? What about the guarantee fee?

Thanks so much!

Wow! Thanks for all your help. I do have one additional question for you. How'd you come up with Med Preffered being the best one off the list of options I have? And, aren't origination fees expected up front? What about the guarantee fee?

Thanks so much!

Med preferred offers 10% credit once you've made 48 consecutive on-time payements. While it may not seem like much if you're paying off a small loan, if you've got like tons of loans, it does help. The nice thing is they give you a 4% cash rebate right after graduation. Also, thy only capitalize interest once, which means your interest isn't being added to the principal amount after the first time (so you don't have to pay interest on the interest of the interest of the interest 4 years down the line). And of course, they've got a 0.25% interest rate reduction with ACH.

Some banks will offer to cover origination and guarantee fees. It depends on the lender.

Med preferred offers 10% credit once you've made 48 consecutive on-time payements. While it may not seem like much if you're paying off a small loan, if you've got like tons of loans, it does help. The nice thing is they give you a 4% cash rebate right after graduation. Also, thy only capitalize interest once, which means your interest isn't being added to the principal amount after the first time (so you don't have to pay interest on the interest of the interest of the interest 4 years down the line). And of course, they've got a 0.25% interest rate reduction with ACH.

Some banks will offer to cover origination and guarantee fees. It depends on the lender.

what is a guarantee fee?

I've heard the fees can actually be taken out of the loan, so one wouldn't be paying up front for them. Is that what you mean when you say the bank will cover it?

what is a guarantee fee?

I've heard the fees can actually be taken out of the loan, so one wouldn't be paying up front for them. Is that what you mean when you say the bank will cover it?

What it essentially means is that the bank won't take the fees out of the loans (if they're waiving the fee). That way you actually get everything you need out of the loan and not be shortchanged.

What it essentially means is that the bank won't take the fees out of the loans (if they're waiving the fee). That way you actually get everything you need out of the loan and not be shortchanged.

Man you've been a lot of help! Thank you.

So does that mean if you do a loan with the origination and guarantee fees that you have to pay the money up front for the fees or how do most people do it?

Man you've been a lot of help! Thank you.

So does that mean if you do a loan with the origination and guarantee fees that you have to pay the money up front for the fees or how do most people do it?

They just take it out of the loan amount. So you get less than you expected.

They just take it out of the loan amount. So you get less than you expected.

Thanks again for all the info!
One additional question I do have. If the loans with fees are better then why would anyone do the 0% fee loans?

Hmmm, that's not what I was told over the phone today. I was informed that you get 7% after 48 ontime payments and it is an incentive geared towards offsetting the initial 2.5% origination/guarantees fees. I know that some Lenders have specific programs for each University, so maybe the quote I recieved is specific to USN? (I called today)

I made a thread today on Lenders and why people chose the lender they did: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=420464

I am going w/ medinvest. With no upfront fees on the stafford and the lower apr on the grad plus for me they were the least expensive. I also took in to consideration that I wanted all my loans w/ one lender if possible (and competive) and that I will probably consolidate loans after school. Often interest rate on the consolidation loans are much cheaper than the original loan. So upfront fees and apr were most important for me.

Good Luck

I am going w/ medinvest. With no upfront fees on the stafford and the lower apr on the grad plus for me they were the least expensive. I also took in to consideration that I wanted all my loans w/ one lender if possible (and competive) and that I will probably consolidate loans after school. Often interest rate on the consolidation loans are much cheaper than the original loan. So upfront fees and apr were most important for me.

Good Luck

Medinvest had no upfront fees? Geez, I'm getting all sorts of conflicting info. They told me for USN it was a 2% guarantee fee upfront. I'll try calling someone else to verify it.

Hey ShaolinRX and Mrsturtle - my USN South Jordan classmates! Let me know what you two decide to do with your lenders/loans, please! Also, have you heard about paying for the tuition a week or two in advance with credit card(s) and then using the loan money to reimburse you. My brother did this for dental school. You can get some pretty sweet rewards with that much $ on credit cards. Do you see any cons to this?

Also, I have another question although it is not $/loan related. Please view it and respond to it and this link: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=5349036#post5349036 - post #177 -
Thank you. Will either of you two be working as a pharm intern P1 or P2 year? I am still unsure if I will or even if it is required.

Hey ShaolinRX and Mrsturtle - my USN South Jordan classmates! Let me know what you two decide to do with your lenders/loans, please! Also, have you heard about paying for the tuition a week or two in advance with credit card(s) and then using the loan money to reimburse you. My brother did this for dental school. You can get some pretty sweet rewards with that much $ on credit cards. Do you see any cons to this?

Also, I have another question although it is not $/loan related. Please view it and respond to it and this link: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=5349036#post5349036 - post #177 -
Thank you. Will either of you two be working as a pharm intern P1 or P2 year? I am still unsure if I will or even if it is required.

What's up classmate!

As of right now, I did the math for all the lenders advertised on USN's website and MiMED invest (through Wachovia) is looking the best for the Stafford Loans...as long as they don't charge a guarantee fee. I'm going to call them again on Monday.

I know that USN charges an additional fee of some % if you charge it to your credit card. I would've loved some "cash back", but (having asked the question quite sometime ago) I remember thinking that the nominal fee exceeded any rewards that I would have recieved from the credit cards. Maybe your CC bens are better than mine...worth looking into I suppose!

Check with your school on the credit card thing, they don't all accept them due to the processing fees. Other than that I would add level of customer service as a consideration when choosing a lender.

On the origination fee, the 1% fee is being phased out because the law has changed and by 2010 lenders will not be allowed to charge it anymore so some have started now. They make it up elsewhere ;)

Please keep in mind that if you consolidate, you will most likely lose the incentive you chose that lender for initially. A lot of "no fee" loans are no fee provided your lender has them throughout repayment and most are contingent upon satisfactory repayment for a certain time. Lenders when you consolidate your loan may add back the loan fees since you didn't live up to the agreement outlined in the loan terms.
All lenders are required by law to charge a guarantee fee and loan fee. The guarantee fee is 1% and the loan fee is 3%. Guarantee fees help to cover the insurance of the loan and the loan fee covers the lenders cost to process it. What is really happening is you ARE being charged and then the lender is paying the cost for you so you do get 100% of the loan proceeds (except the GradPLUS--lenders have to skim the guarantee fee and can't pay it for you as far as I know). Read the fine print and ask about consolidating later on to get the real skinny from your potential lender.
As for loans above cost: in financial aid when you apply for aid, you are really saying to the school (and taxpayers who largely fund the federal loan programs) is that you don't have enough money for tuition. The expectation in the parnership between you and I (a taxpayer and FA person as well) is that you will be willing to make your education the priority and must be willing to economize. I get up and go to work everyday and pay my taxes, in exchange it is reasonable that I expect you to give up your 1 bedroom apartment and find a roommate, lose the car maybe and live in what I refer to my students as "the box." When viewed that way, as a quid pro quo, the system I would hope makes a bit more sense and once you introduce a dime of federal money, the rules go into play. It is not set up to be punitive or make your lives miserable.
FA folks have a 900 page of rules to follow to ensure taxpayer funding is allocated to cover your costs and no combination of aid can exceed the cost. I can increase a budget for very specific reasons under the regs and if I go over and allow more, I need to defend it in an audit by the Feds (I have one on Wednesday). The last place any FA person wants is to have to defend why one student got more than the other: you are all treated equally and if I allow one kid more than the others, I damn well better be able to defend it.
The debt you are all referring to "above the cost" is unsecured: there's no house to repossess or car. You're basically setting yourself up to be jacked in my opinion.
As for the Health Profession Loan through a bank: totally different animal than the one funded by Health and Human Services (fed funded again) which is the Health Profession Student Loan (HPSL) through a school-- great marketing gimmick by that bank though. An HPSL is funded by the taxpayers, fixed at 5 %, non interest accruing while in school but it also has a 10 year max repayment... Parental information is required to even consider a student for that. The logic is as follows-- be warned, this is a bit harsh: the fact that you are 23 years plus, married with 4 kids does not matter. It does not become the institution's responsibility to help you pay for your education or the taxpayers even more still: we did not birth you. I realize that's very much in your face to say it that way but you can't argue the logic behind the premise. I have yet to have 1 kid (or any parent) ever refuse to provide information once that was said to them in the last 8 years I've been at my school.
You are required by law to disclose outside loans for education to your FA office so be advised that if you do not, all of your aid can be revolked or adjusted to include the outside resource to meet that magical cost. Alternative loans are not backed/funded by the government and the extra $5000 a pop times 4 years, potentially not repayed back for 8 with a variable rate with no cap does not seem to make a lot of sense UNLESS your back is against the wall. Alternative loans do not have the same rules as federally backed/funded loans.

So, if my school says that I should be able to live off of $12K per year and I decide that I need at least $16K and I go out and apply for an extra $4K through a private lender, I have to report it and the $4K will be deducted from my federal loans?? That doesn't make sense. What if I worked a part-time job that paid me $8K per year; would that $8K be deducted from next year's federal loan amount?

I do this for some of my classes, ever little bit helps.

-t

Yup. It's definitely somewhere in your award agreement with the school and the school is required by federal law to include it as a resource to help you pay for your education and you are required to report it. Read your award letter and what you are certifying when you accept your package.
If it was a car loan, then it would not be... An educational loan is basically a different animal from other consumer loans in the fact that the credit criteria is a lot less (you don't have a job or an asset to pledge as collateral) and is traditionally not paid until you finish school, unlike your car which is due the next month. It is also referred to as a resouce to pay for your education and goes to meet your cost dollar for dollar.
FA folks and Congress are in the process of tightening the restictions for educational loans because a lot of kids with non-federally backed loans are getting burned by them. There is most likely going to be a more formal disclosure process between lenders and schools in this arena if the lender wants to participate in the Stafford loan program (which they all will give most anything to remain in the program). The feds have the rules in play to further assure you won't default on the fed loan they lent you-- it's to mitigate the risk and keep borrowing to a minimum since it costs the taxpayers money to lend you money in the fed programs.
As for a job... any income is treated as income and not a resource to pay for your education. On the FAFSA you report all your income etc and then by magic an EFC spits out which is essentially a percent of all the numbers-- it is not a dollar for dollar exchange so to say.
My best advice is to work out a 4 to 8 year plan as to how you will meet your actual expenses so you are not left high in dry halfway through your program. I know you all hate the "budget" word so I won't beat a dead horse for too long. Always play best case/worst case scenario. Maybe you can borrow the "secret" loan but if you are denied: have you set yourself up for failure? If your apartment can be paid for with the extra money, what happens if it dries up? Do you now have to move? If you can manage a part time job to help meet the extra expense above the dreaded budget, can you keep that income for 4 years? What happens when you have to go on rotations and can't commute back for the job? Are you screwed? If a parent says "I'll pay the extra" and they lose their job (or worse) again, are you screwed?
It is far better to be able to depend on what you know you can come up with while in school rather than depend on what you hope you can come up with and have it crash in year 2. I've seen it and it isn't pretty and frankly, I can't help you if you chose to spend more or have a car payment, credit cards, nice 1 bedroom in a swanky area etc... My worst horror story was a girl who always needed more, more, more. She couldn't get more from the FA office at her DMD school (undergrad either, I'm sure) so she started on the credit cards. By the time she enrolled in my dental school, she had already gotten her overpiced apartment with a healthclub. I told her to move and that she would hit a wall. She didn't because "it has a healthclub" and added more on the credit cards since all her loan money was only just covering her rent. She charged her food, bus pass, deodorant, flights to see the boyfriend for another year. Come year 2, she was denied her loan... I gave her a semester to figure it out and let her float the tuition to give her time to find a co-signer. She arrived in my office after months and told me she couldn't get approved even with a co-signer. I called the lender and asked "If Bill Gates co-signed, you wouldn't approve it?" And they said, "Nope, she'd be denied." I was shocked at that answer. When she asked what she should do, I said "Leave school, get a job and straighten it all out." I almost fell out of my chair when she said: "What will I do for work?" And I replied: "be a dentist-- you already have that degree." To which she replied: "I'm not licensed to practice anywhere." You could have knocked me off my chair at that moment. Here she was, $45,000 in credit card debt, $260,000 in educational debt. She would be in repayment on the $260,000 6 months out from leaving my school. The moral of the story is: enough was never enough for her; she deserved all these things because she would make a lot of money later; figure out what enough is for you and what your priority really is-- eyes on the prize. Fortunately for her her very elderly (and poor parents) mortgaged their house to save her sorry ass.
I give all my interviewees the same talk and they get it again before they matriculate and most of them listen. I have one who will hit a wall but there's not much I can do to save her, I just hope she doesn't start floating crapp on credit cards...

I believe that alternative loans are different than private loans. At my school alternative loans are the same as the gradplus loan and so for those you cant take out more that your schools cost of attendance. however,private loans, such as chase educational loan, is independent of your other financial aid,therefore you can take out more if you choose and your school just has to verify that your enrolled and the check is mailed directly to you. I havent applied for this loan yet but they sent me info for it and it sounds pretty decent.

So, if my school says that I should be able to live off of $12K per year and I decide that I need at least $16K and I go out and apply for an extra $4K through a private lender, I have to report it and the $4K will be deducted from my federal loans?? That doesn't make sense. What if I worked a part-time job that paid me $8K per year; would that $8K be deducted from next year's federal loan amount?
I dont think they will report it. My info I recieved from chase says it is not dependent on my other financial aid and that it is for whatever you need the extra money for, (i.e.living expenses, ect). Do a search for chase educational loan and this a private loan that wont take away from whatever your school budgeted you for.

I did my loans through salliemae for both stafford and gradplus and it was really quick and they approved me instantly. If anyone has any questions regarding salliemae just email me. :)

Alternative loans and private loans are the same thing but are markedly different from a federally backed loan (stafford sub, unsub or PLUS). When you apply for a Stafford you have really 2 choices for lenders: apply to the Government directly (direct lending program) or apply through a private lender who puts up the cash and has a guarantee from the gov't that if you forget to pay, the gov't pays it back for you (that's really what a default means in federal lending) called the FFEL program (that's also why it's commonly referred to as a federal guaranteed student loan). Both Direct and FFEL are virtually the same except one has a private bank handing out the cash and the other the gov't directly. A private lender may offer both federally backed loans OR alternative loans (commonly called private loans). I'm not quite sure why lenders are listing federally backed GradPLUS loans along private/alternative loans as an option... I don't know why FA folks are calling gradPLUS loans "private" or "alternative" either to you guys. Like you are not already confused enough about all this...
Anyway, I've looked over the Chase loan stuff and the first private loan is for undergrad only: "You must be an undergraduate student enrolled at least half-time in a degree or certificate program at a Chase approved school. (For students attending less than half-time, please see the Chase Continuing Education Loan.)" from the Chase homepage. You are not undergrads anymore...
The second "preferred select" has a school certification required as does the one targeted for med.
The newest buzzword on capital hill is "diclosure" and "truth in lending" and I tend to think and any lender who wants to keep their profits from all of this lending (especially the federally backed stuff) will concede and "disclose" a little bit better to the school. It's not just Congress either: you have most state Attorney Generals in this, the FTC (since loans cross state lines) and the SEC to regulate the banking side of it. It's the dawning of a new level of scrutiny and oversight of an industry that ran amuck over the last 10 years.