GPA's, GRE's, XTRA's, ACCEPTANCES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone, I'm applying this cycle too and am very anxious about my application. I hope to get any advice to improve and feedback on my chances with current schools.
University: SJSU
Major: Child Development
Minor: Psychology
Overall GPA: ~3.71 SJSU and 3.9 from CC I'm not sure how it'll work
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6-3.7 depending on the school
GRE: 153 V 152 Q 4AW
Letter of Rec: 1 OT, 1 Professor, 1 professional
Extra-Curricular/Volunteer:
  • Volunteered park & rec with their teen summer camp - I worked with teens with intellectual disabilities.
  • Reading partners
  • Teacher assistant for toddlers
  • Pediatric clinic (clerical hours)
Observation hours:
  • 80 hours at outpatient rehab clinic
  • 20 hours at pediatric OT clinic

Members don't see this ad.

University: Purdue University
Major: Kinesiology
Cumulative Undergrad GPA: 3.24
Pre-Req GPA: 3.56-4.0 depending on university
GRE: 151Q, 142V, 4.0W
Letter of Rec: 1 OT, 1 Professor, 2 Employers
- Graphic Design Intern
- Human Motor Behavior Research

Observation hours/Employment:
40 hours with CHT
40 hours Pediatrics

- +1700 hours at Brain Balance Achievement Centers
- 2 Years - Lead Wellness Coach at Purdue
- Integrated Communications Team/ Social Media Promotion at Purdue RecWell

Applying to:
Ohio State, U Indy, Huntington, Midwestern, Creighton, Rush

Interviews: Huntington (10/25), UIndy (11/15)

Rejections: Midwestern (12/3), Ohio State (12/5), Rush (3/10)
Acceptances: Huntington (11/1), UIndy (11/20)
Alternate List: Creighton (12/14)

Last edited:
Major: Psychology B.S., minor Anthropology
OTCAS GPA: 3.13 :(
Pre-Req GPA: 3.5-4.0
GRE: 152Q, 156V, 5.0W
Letter of Rec: 1 OT, 1 professor I do research with, 1 professor I TA'd for
- Club Rowing Team (leadership position)
- Club Swim Team
- TA for 1 semester
- 3 different research labs over the years (linguistics, cognition and memory, social psychology)

- 64 hours hand therapy
- 21 hours acute care
- 60+ hours in SNF (still volunteering there)
- Worked at a large healthcare company for 2.5 years as a customer service representative

Applying to: way too many
Interviews: JWU, Brenau
Rejections: N/A
Acceptances: N/A

Members don't see this ad :)
Major: Psychology B.S., minor Anthropology
OTCAS GPA: 3.13 :(
Pre-Req GPA: 3.5-4.0
GRE: 152Q, 156V, 5.0W
Letter of Rec: 1 OT, 1 professor I do research with, 1 professor I TA'd for
- Club Rowing Team (leadership position)
- Club Swim Team
- TA for 1 semester
- 3 different research labs over the years (linguistics, cognition and memory, social psychology)

- 64 hours hand therapy
- 21 hours acute care
- 60+ hours in SNF (still volunteering there)
- Worked at a large healthcare company for 2.5 years as a customer service representative

Applying to: way too many
Interviews: JWU, Brenau

You and I have very very similar stats! I’m a non-traditional student and wish I could go back 15 years and do things a little differently. I applied to 8 programs last week and was invited to schedule an interview at Salus today. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
University: Penn State University
Major: Biobehavioral Health with a minor in Psychology
Overall GPA: ~3.4
Last 60 credits: ~3.9
Pre-Req GPA: 3.59-3.71 range based on diff programs
GRE: 153V 146Q(yikes) 4.0W

Extra-Curric: Sigma Kappa (Vice President, VP of Scholarship), Sisters on the Runway (exec board) against domestic and sexual violence, Occupational Therapy Club (exec board), LifeLink (college-aged kids that are disabled), nursing home volunteer, dance team member, Penn State THON volunteer , Alzheimer’s Association volunteer, LombardMMA Kickboxing member

Observation/Volunteer: ~150 hours between inpatient rehab, school-based, SNF, hand therapy, acute care; Volunteer in inpatient rehab OT gym 1.5yr

LOR: Employer of 6 years, SNF OTR, Inpatient rehab OTR, 2 professors

Acceptances: Applying to West Coast U, UFlorida, Texas Women’s U, Midwestern U, Chatham U

Rejections:

Interviews: Chatham (11/16), West Coast MSOT & OTD (2/28), Texas Women's U at Houston (11/23), Midwestern U at Glendale (2/5)

Acceptances: Chatham (attending)!!!

Good luck everyone :)

Last edited:
You and I have very very similar stats! I’m a non-traditional student and wish I could go back 15 years and do things a little differently. I applied to 8 programs last week and was invited to schedule an interview at Salus today. Best of luck!
Thank you! I am very relieved that I have begun to receive interviews. I think it's partially because I applied so early, and also because I put a ton of time and revision into my personal statement. Good luck this cycle!

I was a non-traditional student with a low cumulative GPA. It took me 3 years to get in, but I finally did. I started at TWU this fall. My best advice is to apply to schools that will look at your last 60 hours GPA, and apply to as many schools as possible. Also do mock interviews so that when you do get interviews, you interview well.

Well congratulations! That’s awesome. TWU has always been my top choice. Thanks for the advice :)

University: Northern Illinois University
Major: Psychology B.A.
OTCAS GPA: 3.48
Pre-Req GPA: 3.5-3.7 (depends on the school)
GRE: 146Q, 149V, 3.5W
Letter of Rec: 2 OT, 2 professor's, 1 work supervisor
Extra-Curricular/Volunteer/Leadership:
-Delta Zeta Sorority: Member & held several leadership positions. V.P. of Philanthropy and Risk Manager (both on eboard) & community service chair.
-Psi Chi (psychology honors society): Member & current President.
-Research Assistant for Psychology study
-Student Occupational Therapy Association: member
-additional community service events
Achievements/Certifications:
-CPR/first aid certified
-Received a scholarship
-48 Assisted Living Facility
-34 child outpatient
-Internship with a domestic violence & sexual assault center (my old plans used to be to go into counseling)
-Currently work at the domestic violence center
Applying to: Creighton, Breanu (Gainesville), Georgia State, Belmont, Pacific, Midwestern AZ, Marquette, possibly more
Interviews: Creighton (9/20 AHHHH) & Breanu (10/4 also ahhh)
I had hoped to apply to Rush in Chicago but my GRE is too low, does anyone know if they would consider under the 302 combined v & q score?
Also, has anyone interviewed at creighton or breanu that could send me what to expect or possible questions?? I'm super nervous!!
I know my gpa & gre aren't super high so i'm going into this whole process very nervous.. trying to stay positive!!
Appreciate any help anyone can give! Thanks & good luck everyone! :)

Current student at Brenau Gainesville. Let me know if you have any questions!!

Reactions: 1 users
Current student at Brenau Gainesville. Let me know if you have any questions!!

Hi! It won't let me message you. Would you mind messaging me first? I'm new on here and not sure if its something i'm doing or a setting you have! Thanks :)

Hi guys!! I am super nervous about my chance and am open to any feedback or suggestions!

Undergraduate University: Wagner College
Degree: Biopsychology
Minor: Cultural Competency for Allied Health
Cumulative GPA: 3.62
Prerequisite GPA: 3.9-4.0
GRE: not taking

Misc: Varsity swimmer for the past four years on a division 1 program, team captain, dean's list 3x, Psi Chi member (psychology national honor society) and treasurer, member of the National Honor Society for Leadership and Sucess, CPR/First Aid/Lifeguard certified, spent the last semester doing research in the social psychology field + this semester doing human development research

Employment: Beach lifeguarding, camp counselor, babysitting, and currently employed as a WSI (swim instructor) and lifeguard at a day camp in my town

Letters of Rec: 1 from my professor/advisor, 1 from an OT I observed, and 1 from my swim coach for the past four years

Volunteering: Tunnels for Towers, Special Olympics, Breast Cancer/Sexual Assault Walk, and a program in NYC that allows you to watch children with special needs, tutored middle schoolers during high school

Observation experience: about 100 hours in three peds facilities and one adult outpatient facility

Schools: Kean, Stockton, Seaton Hall, Columbia, NYU, Bay Path

How long have verifications been taking? I just submitted my app today.

How long have verifications been taking? I just submitted my app today.

I sent mine in for verification on Thursday and it just got verified this early this morning. You should be fine and hopefully hear back by the end of the week! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I'm applying this cycle and am looking to get some input on my stats

Major: Community Health
Overall GPA: 3.5
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6-3.8 depending on school
GRE: haven't taken yet, taking early october
Applying: Lewis U, North Central College, Elmhurst, Governors State, St. Augustine

• college softball team (1 year)
  • college club softball team (1 and 1/2 years)
  • american cancer society club with leadership role (2 years)
  • 38 volunteer hours at local hospital
Work experience:
324 hours as an administrative intern at a veteran center
300 hours as a pt aide

Observation Hours:
pediatric outpatient: 24 hours
outpatient hand therapy: 24 hours
elementary school: 30 hours

References:
PT that i work with, 2 OTs, internship preceptor
Have you heard from North Central?

GRE: 146Q, 149V, 3.5W :(
-Delta Zeta Sorority: Member & held several leadership positions. V.P. of Philanthropy and Risk Manager (both on eboard) & community service chair.
-CPR/first aid certified
-Received a scholarship
-34 child outpatient
-Internship with a domestic violence & sexual assault center (my old plans used to be to go into counseling)
Applying to: Creighton, Breanu (Gainesville), Georgia State, Belmont, Pacific, Midwestern AZ, Marquette, possibly more
I had hoped to apply to Rush in Chicago but my GRE is too low, does anyone know if they would consider under the 302 combined v & q score?
Also, has anyone interviewed at creighton or breanu that could send me what to expect or possible questions?? I'm super nervous!!
I know my gpa & gre aren't super high so i'm going into this whole process very nervous.. trying to stay positive!!

Brenau is a group interview, basic questions like why the school, experiences in shadowing, your favorite speciality, etc. it helps cause everyone kinds of feeds off each other. There’s an essay you have to write as well. I found it pretty difficult but I ended up getting accepted

University: University of California San Diego
Major: BS in Public Health/ business minor
Awards: Outstanding Academic Award in Public Health and 8 quarters provost honors
GPA: 3.65
GRE: 151 q 157 v (awa not graded)
Prerequisite gpa: should be 3.7-3.8 when I finish physio
Shadowing: 150 hours- 31 hours in a preschool, 54 hours in an outpatient pediatric clinic, 66 hours in skilled hand therapy clinic
Extracurriculars: VP of service for my schools pre- OT club, board position in the public health club for a year, 6 month research internship at an exercise physio lab at my school, 2 years working with children with disabilities in respite care, planned parenthood volunteer, 2 years working as a teachers assistant, public health brigade to Honduras (plus fundraising the whole year for the trip)

Applying to: USC, Loma Linda, Stanbridge, St. Augustine, San Jose, Washington U

Would you guys recommend I retake the GRE? I’m not sure if it’s worth but also not sure if it’s hindering my app too much. Thanks!!

Anyone apply to ECU? Completing their video interview question this week and not sure what to expect.

-CPR/first aid certified
-Received a scholarship
-34 child outpatient

I’m interviewing on the 4th too at Breanu, pretty nervous.

Anyone a current Chatham student that can give some insight into their program? Or, anyone that has visited and interviewed?

Thanks so much! Yeah I got verified about a week after that so that's a good sign!

Yay! have you done any interviews yet? I just did one for Creighton and it was actually really relaxed. I wonder how Breanu's will be!

I have not! That’s good to hear. Yeah it seems like it won’t too bad. I am only a bit worried because I am also interested in the weekend program and I am not sure how to say this without being seen as indecisive. I am not sure if I should mention it in my interview.

-CPR/first aid certified
-Received a scholarship
-34 child outpatient
I got invited for the Brenau 10/4 date but ended up having to RSVP to the 11/8 date! Let me know how the interview goes; I have an interview on 10/4 as well but at another school. I have a super busy schedule so I think the nerves haven't set in yet and I haven't had time to overthink everything haha. Good luck!!

Anyone apply to ECU? Completing their video interview question this week and not sure what to expect.
I am but I have not yet completed it because I am not sure what to expect or how to prepare! Have you completed it/how was it? TIA

I am but I have not yet completed it because I am not sure what to expect or how to prepare! Have you completed it/how was it? TIA
I’m thinking I will complete it this weekend since the application is due on the 15th! I’m thinking I’ll prepare like it’s a general interview ? Not sure what to expect at all :\

I’m thinking I will complete it this weekend since the application is due on the 15th! I’m thinking I’ll prepare like it’s a general interview ? Not sure what to expect at all :\
That is how I plan to prepare as well! How did it go?

I applied to Chatham yesterday! Fingers crossed!

Reactions: 1 users
I applied to Chatham yesterday! Fingers crossed!

Hi if I sent my GRE scores to Chatham already, do I still need to upload it in Standardized Tests in OTCAS? Would they still consider me if I am one point before the "competitive score" for Chatham? Standardized tests are not my specialty but I believe my other stats make up for it.
I did!! How about you?

If I sent my GRE scores to Chatham already when I took the GRE, do I still need to upload it in Standardized Tests in OTCAS? Would they still consider me if I am one point before the "competitive score" for Chatham? Standardized tests are not my specialty but I believe my other stats make up for it.

Hi if I sent my GRE scores to Chatham already, do I still need to upload it in Standardized Tests in OTCAS? Would they still consider me if I am one point before the "competitive score" for Chatham? Standardized tests are not my specialty but I believe my other stats make up for it.

If I sent my GRE scores to Chatham already when I took the GRE, do I still need to upload it in Standardized Tests in OTCAS? Would they still consider me if I am one point before the "competitive score" for Chatham? Standardized tests are not my specialty but I believe my other stats make up for it.
Hi! I believe you still need to self report the test scores on the actual OTCAS application. It wouldn’t hurt to double check with the admissions department at Chatham though, just to make sure. :)

I believe they will still consider it ! My GRE was not good at all either. I was right below the “competitive score“ But there’s no minimum for Chatham so I think we will be fine

How many schools is everyone applying to? Is 8 too much or too little? I am right at the competitive recommendations for all of them, I am just so nervous!!

School: BYU-Idaho
Major: General Studies
Minor: Child Development
Cumulative GPA: 3.3 (last 60 credits: 3.7)
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 153Q 156V 4.5AWA
LOR: 1 professor, 2 OT’s
Observation hours: 100 total in hand therapy, adult neuro, pediatric outpatient, in-school setting, SNF, hippotherapy
Experiences/volunteer: owned and operated a home-based preschool (non-traditional student here!), aide for my elderly grandma, taught children and youth for 7+ years in an ecclesiastical setting, volunteered at local hippotherapy center for those with special needs.

Applying: Salus, Moravian, Shenandoah, AT Still, TWU, St. Augustine (Austin), Missouri State, Pace
Interviews: Salus (9/23), St. Augustine (10/25)
Acceptances: Salus (10/3)

I was VERY nervous considering I have been out of school for over 10 years (except for prerequisites) and my stats are less than stellar, but I think being given the opportunity to interview and really show my dedication and passion to education and OT really helped me, at least with my first acceptance. I hope this gives anyone with average stats some hope. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Which campus did you put as your first choice for TWU? I bet you will get an interview invitation from them bc your stats are better than mine were, and I got accepted. We have quite a few non traditionals in our program. I’m at Houston campus.

Hey thanks! I chose Denton as my #1, mostly because it was closest to a house we own there. It has always been my top choice but I heard they are already replacing the program with an OTD. Is it true?!

Yes all TWU programs will be entry level doctorates starting fall 2020. We are the last masters class! Sorry.

So disappointing! I’m really leaning toward an MOT just because it’s less time and money, but same paycheck post-grad. How do you like the program?

I’m with you on that 100%. I hear Denton campus is great. That’s where the director is. I came into this program with really high expectations, since it’s graduate level, so at this point in time I’m pretty disappointed. But we are only 6 weeks in so I’m hoping it gets better. So far it’s been very unorganized. I’m told it gets easier. We will see!

I’m sorry to hear that but I appreciate your honesty. In my short time during this process so far I’ve become more aware of how much the faculty can influence the experience. Hope it gets better for you.