GPA question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

b12yan12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I just have a quick question about GPA calculation during the application process.
I'm completing a double major, BA in psych and BS in bio, at my school and my overall gpa is low because of the horrible bio gpa I have. My psych gpa is around 3.4 in the school of social sciences.
My pre-requisite gpa is around 3.2 though.
But my overall is around 2.7 due to a lot of mistakes in bio courses.
Would the pt schools look at my overall gpa and shoot me down or would I be still okay since my pre-req gpa isn't too bad?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes and no. I can tell you from experience that some schools are VERY strict with GPA minimums and others are not. I'm sure it will help you that you are doing much better in the psych major. I finished my undergrad with a 2.7 cumulative, 3.2 major, 3.1 prerequisite. I applied last year and got shot down EVERYWHERE. In four weeks I will have finished 33 credits since graduating trying to get up my GPA.
It's working. I'm much much closer than last year, I'm on two alternate lists and one probable acceptance (they gave me very very good feedback in the interview).
My advice: apply to private schools. They get less applicants since they are pricier, and are willing to work with you if you are willing to make the sacrifices.
Also, probably the most important advice, just call and ask. It's way better to get a straight answer from a program than it would be to work on an enormous application and get shot down. Also you might get a little leeway if you get the opportunity to explain the 2.7 and why you are better than that now.
All schools are going to have individual policies.

Of course you have a shot. Check out the acceptances thread. While many have higher GPA's, some have low GPA's. In fact, I recall a member having around a 2.7 overall and a 2.9 pre-req if I'm not mistaken. I have a low GPA as well, but I'm not going to let it get in the way. As long as you show you are a great candidate for PT school, you should be fine. And by great candidate, make sure you're involved in many activities and even take leadership roles in some of those activities. Don't be like everyone else, be unique.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course you have a shot. Check out the acceptances thread. While many have higher GPA's, some have low GPA's. In fact, I recall a member having around a 2.7 overall and a 2.9 pre-req if I'm not mistaken. I have a low GPA as well, but I'm not going to let it get in the way. As long as you show you are a great candidate for PT school, you should be fine. And by great candidate, make sure you're involved in many activities and even take leadership roles in some of those activities. Don't be like everyone else, be unique.

This caught my eye. I am interested in how you aren't letting it get in the way. Your GPA is your GPA; one of the major factors looked at during admissions. It should "be in the way" on every application, during every interview, etc.

This caught my eye. I am interested in how you aren't letting it get in the way. Your GPA is your GPA; one of the major factors looked at during admissions. It should "be in the way" on every application, during every interview, etc.

What I meant was that I'm not going to let it get in the way of my decision on attending PT school. Am I concerned about it? Sure I am, but I did the best I could given my situation. I know I'm more than capable of getting into PT school and I know I can be a great PT, so I'm not going to sit back and worry about my GPA. It is what it is.

What I meant was that I'm not going to let it get in the way of my decision on attending PT school. Am I concerned about it? Sure I am, but I did the best I could given my situation. I know I'm more than capable of getting into PT school and I know I can be a great PT, so I'm not going to sit back and worry about my GPA. It is what it is.
Got ya.

:thumbup:
Keep fighting the good fight. If this is right for you, then don't give up. I have the feeling that we are in the same boat. I've given up two years of my young 20's working as an aide for $11 an hour and taking/retaking prerequisites at a directional school and a CC. At the end of the day, I know deep down that I have the ability academically, professionally, intellectually, and personally to become a great PT, IMHO better than someone who has a 4.0 and the social skills of a cactus. I know because I've seen many of these people struggle in their clinicals.

At the end of the day, I know deep down that I have the ability academically, professionally, intellectually, and personally to become a great PT, IMHO better than someone who has a 4.0 and the social skills of a cactus. I know because I've seen many of these people struggle in their clinicals.

So true... One of the best interns we've had didn't get into school until his 3rd (or 4th?) application cycle, but he's going to make a fantastic clinician.

Keep fighting the good fight. If this is right for you, then don't give up. I have the feeling that we are in the same boat. I've given up two years of my young 20's working as an aide for $11 an hour and taking/retaking prerequisites at a directional school and a CC. At the end of the day, I know deep down that I have the ability academically, professionally, intellectually, and personally to become a great PT, IMHO better than someone who has a 4.0 and the social skills of a cactus. I know because I've seen many of these people struggle in their clinicals.

Thanks for the encouraging advice. This is exactly how I feel. Everyone is different in their own right and deservingly so. Some people can fly through college without any outside struggles, while others aren't fortunate enough to do so. Unfortunately, these factors are often neglected. As long as YOU believe you can do it, that is all that matters.

So true... One of the best interns we've had didn't get into school until his 3rd (or 4th?) application cycle, but he's going to make a fantastic clinician.

That's great to hear. Stories like this are very encouraging. :thumbup: