GPA Problems, please help a struggling student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trueinthegame

Time is Illmatic...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yo, I'm a sophomore at my University, majoring in biology.

Well, this semester hasn't been a good one for me. I had to withdraw from my cell bio class because I just wasn't doing well in it, even though I put in plenty of time to study. I'm taking it again next semester and I'm gonna try a differnet method that a friend recommended.

And I also wasn't doing too well in Organic Chemistry. I got a C in my chem 102 class, which I wasn't pleased with. This semester, I was on track to get a C in my Organic chem class, but I decided to just stop going so I could get an F and take it again next semester and get the grade replaced.

How closely do dental schools look at a withdrawal from a class. And, as for the Organic chem situation (which I am much more worried about), do dental schools average the new grade along with the grade that is being replaced, or do they just look at the new grade.

If they average both grades, then I fear that I may have made the wrong decision in just failing the class on purpose so I could retake it and get a better grade. But I really did not want to C's in Chemistry classes.

Please help, I'm really worried.

Members don't see this ad.

trueinthegame said:

Well, this semester hasn't been a good one for me. I had to withdraw from my cell bio class because I just wasn't doing well in it, even though I put in plenty of time to study. I'm taking it again next semester and I'm gonna try a differnet method that a friend recommended.

And I also wasn't doing too well in Organic Chemistry. I got a C in my chem 102 class, which I wasn't pleased with. This semester, I was on track to get a C in my Organic chem class, but I decided to just stop going so I could get an F and take it again next semester and get the grade replaced.

How closely do dental schools look at a withdrawal from a class. And, as for the Organic chem situation (which I am much more worried about), do dental schools average the new grade along with the grade that is being replaced, or do they just look at the new grade.

If they average both grades, then I fear that I may have made the wrong decision in just failing the class on purpose so I could retake it and get a better grade. But I really did not want to C's in Chemistry classes.

Um. not good news, i'm afraid - AADSAS averages both grades into your final gpa. however, if you do well in both classes next semester, and in your other classes as well, you'll probably be ok - hideous semesters happen to everyone, and dental schools know that. just make sure your record isn't peppered with Fs and Ws.

your "F" and "grade to be named later" will have to be entered into the aadsas application when you fill it out years from now...schools will look at it.
whether they care about it? i dont know, but it will be visible for them...i know my interviewer asked me about my F...how would you answer that question if it comes up in the future?

even if you're not doing well, at least try

Members don't see this ad :)
dyarhea said:
your "F" and "grade to be named later" will have to be entered into the aadsas application when you fill it out years from now...schools will look at it.
whether they care about it? i dont know, but it will be visible for them...i know my interviewer asked me about my F...how would you answer that question if it comes up in the future?

even if you're not doing well, at least try

It's not that I'm not trying. I really thought the decision I made was the best decision. It hadn't even crossed my mind that they averaged both grades. I thought the better grade would just completely replace the old grade. I should've thought about it more thoroughly.

It might not be too late, I just emailed my organic chem professor for an appointment, I'll talk to her about it and see what I can work out.

trueinthegame said:
It hadn't even crossed my mind that they averaged both grades. I thought the better grade would just completely replace the old grade.
It might not be too late, I just emailed my organic chem professor for an appointment, I'll talk to her about it and see what I can work out.

Wishful thinking. If they replaced the old with the new, I think 75% of the 3.0 and under club would not be in the dilemma they are in now. Anyways, all is not loss; it is never loss. I had 5 failures in my undergrade and still managed to be a successful applicant for Dental school. Your problem is that you are struggling with course that are most important to know and understand not only for the DAT, but also for D-school itself. There is not introduction in dental school. We fly through material multiple times faster then in undergrad. You need to do well in Bio, chemistry, and O-chem. I think Adcoms look at these grades as a measuring stick specially since everyone has taken.

I would suggest that you see if you need some remediation courses before you start these prerequisites for D-school. Maybe you need a basic chem. Course or math before taking general chemistry. Also, take it slow. It is always better to have low course load and high GPA then a high course load and low GPA. Instead of taking O-chem and Bio; just take Bio. Test the water. The hardest thing with college is adjusting to proper study habits and learning your own method of studying. It takes time. I had a 2.3 GPA in highschool. I never studied in my life; I drown in college the first year and half until I adjusted.

Best advise is to hang in there and keep on trying, and do not beat your self up over some bad grades.

I am going through the same thing with my bio class. I decided to stick it out because I don't really believe in dropping out of classes. Well, I have continued to do poorly and figured it would be ok because I would just retake it and have the grade replaced. Little did I know, when reading another post, that they calculate both grades. If I would have known that I might have withdrawn altogether. At least someday if I get the opportunity for an interview that I can tell them I at least wanted to try instead of just leaving the class. You will have a few years to make up for it. At least that is what I am hoping anyways. One thing does come to mind though, you seem a little relaxed to just take an F for Organic? Hope you get that taken care of. good luck. :luck:

trueinthegame said:

Many of us have had the same problem, but dont look at it like an obstacle, if you do you will never go on. If you need to take both classes again go ahead, and if you have to, get some tutoring. I tried that and it helpped.

Part of your application to dental school, the AADSAS application, contains a 1000 word essay section that you can explain these sorts of things about your academic record. Just learn from it and move on. It sounds like you are taking the right steps by evaluating your study methods and techniques. You say you are spending lot's of time. So look at things like, are you reading ahead in the chapters before lecture, are you working problems in the book, are you studying in a group, are you keeping caught up. Every teacher has a different method of teaching. Some rely heavily on class notes and hardly touch the information in the text. Others may take exam questions right out of your book. There's lots of variables, just try to make a few adjustments and you'll get the grades you want. :thumbup:

I would try to work things out with your chem teacher. I doubt schools will like seeing you quit during adversity. It would be a lot easier to say you got a C because you really struggled than to have multiple F's or W's. As long as your gpa improves, you should be fine. I had some C's early on and hardly had a word about them in my interviews. I simply explained I was a dumb freshman who had no idea how to be successful in college. Didn't take me too long to learn that sometimes you need to study as much as it takes, maybe even 15-20 hours a week for a single class. However, if that is the case you should be smart about what classes you take together.