GPA in podiatry school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goFeetgo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How come students with GPA's of less than 3.3 earn way higher GPA's in podiatry school. It cant always have to do with getting your act together can it?

Members don't see this ad.

How come students with GPA's of less than 3.3 earn way higher GPA's in podiatry school. It cant always have to do with getting your act together can it?
I would say that my class average is about a 3.0 right now...

Not that many are getting 3.3+. There are a few, but its only a few.

Which school is this?

Dont you also things school were students take courses with DO students will have lower GPA's? Podiatry school is tough, but it surprises me how so many people get by just fine despite not doing exceptional in undergrad.

Also how important and what kind of GPA's are required for competitive residencies?

Members don't see this ad :)
Which school is this?

Dont you also things school were students take courses with DO students will have lower GPA's? Podiatry school is tough, but it surprises me how so many people get by just fine despite not doing exceptional in undergrad.

Also how important and what kind of GPA's are required for competitive residencies?

I'm trying to keep my school private for annomity reasons.

I have no idea where the other schools stand, but my school is definatly around a 3.0 gpa overall average. Our exams are conceptional, not memorization. Sometimes your grade does not really represent what you "know" because it can be "tricky" but the professors whole point in doing this is to better prepare us for the boards... which is supposed to be conceptional outside the box thinking as opposed to straight memorization.
Some residencies require a 3.0 gpa for an interview, others require top 1/2 of the class for an interview. Other residencies have no requirements.

I go to Scholl and from what I have heard the P2's currently have around a 3.0 average and the P3's have slightly under a 3.0 average.

The reason some people are getting higher GPAs in Podiatry School than their undergrad IS probably due to getting their act together.

Think of it this way. MD student had a 3.8 in undergrad. Studied 4 hours per day during week and 8 hours per day in the weekend. In med school the same student has the same study habits. Med school is harder/more material so his GPA either stays the same or goes down.

DPM student had a 3.2 in undergrad. Studied 1 hour per day during the week, partied in the weekend, and crammed 8 hours x 2 days before exams. In Pod school the same student now studies 4 hours per day during the week and 8 hours per day in the weekend...because this is big boy school and he's got $50k/year in loans. Pod school has the same difficulty and same amount of material as med school but now the student is putting in the time. His GPA in Podiatry school might actually be higher than undergrad.

I had pretty good undergrad gpa, however I definitely understand how someone can raise their gpa once in Podiatry School. When in undergrad I worked 20-30 hours per week as well as going to school full time. Now in pod school I only have school to worry about, and it is actually really nice. I'm not saying it's not hard, it is, but I have so much more time to study than I've ever had before. Not to mention the fact that I am paying so much for this education it is a little more motivation to take it seriously and do well. On top of all this I am now in my career, this is not just some set of science classes I have to take to get to another school anymore, I ma learning to be a practicing physician, I better take this seriously and become the best podiatrist I can. There are more reasons, but I can understand the motivation to take it up a notch once you get into Podiatry School.

I think I would pay attention a lot better if my tests were conceptional. ;)

Ditto Sorham. School isn't easy, but it's not like you don't have enough time if you're not working. It's more a question of motivation than anything.

sorham you make a great point! They are no longer classes taken just to get to another school where you really want to be! I think that alone could possible make the difference for many!

I think GPA is highly dependent of the school. In residency while reviewing externship applications, it was pretty easy to get a feel for each school and how the majority of students did. We had one student apply for externship who had a class rank somewhere in the teens and had a 4.0.

Because when you're footing the bill, you tend to work harder at it.

Mom and Dad can rarely afford to pay their son or daughter's way through professional school, so in my experience, students with huge loans tend to take it more seriously.

OR, students used college to LEARN to learn. After 4 years they've got it down and now its not such an effort to study, retain and excel.

A few reasons why my undergrad gpa is lower than my pod gpa

1. undergrad extracurriculars (including sorority and intramurals)
2. work study (where I actually had to do WORK unlike my friends at the library
3. A's were 95% or above (here an A is 90-100%)
4. crazy difficult classes like organic chemistry designed for chem majors even though 90% of us were pre-health OR calculus 1&2 for science majors
5. classes in pod school are actually interesting and make me want to learn more! :D

I feel like if you plan on being a podiatrist for the rest of your life you are probably going to study and work harder in lower anatomy than you would in an undergrad class such as art history

I think GPA is highly dependent of the school. In residency while reviewing externship applications, it was pretty easy to get a feel for each school and how the majority of students did. We had one student apply for externship who had a class rank somewhere in the teens and had a 4.0.

just wondering. Did the student get an externship spot?

I am so excited to start learning about things that I can actually use, I feel like there is even more motivation to study for the basic sciences due to boards. Also, classes like organic chemistry will be no more!!!!