GPA FROM 15 YEARS AGO LOW, AFFECTING CURRENT GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurepharmd1984

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having a bit of a breakdown, I started college in 2001, yeah 16 years ago, needless to say I f&^%*$ up and got released from the school. I started back at school 3 years ago to do all my pre recs with a cumulative GPA of 3.6 and science of 3.2. My GPA from 16 years ago dragged me down to a cumulative of 2.33 and science of 2.6. Why is it we need to report this stuff from so long ago, any idea of what can be done with pharmcas or any advice to anyone? Retaking classes out of state at the school I attended where my GPA was nothing is out of the question! I literally dont meet even the min. requirements for any schools because of something that happened 16 years ago! I just need some insight. I feel as though Im being punished for LIFE! I explained my health issues when this all happened in my personal statement. Should I even apply anywhere? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am having a bit of a breakdown, I started college in 2001, yeah 16 years ago, needless to say I f&^%*$ up and got released from the school. I started back at school 3 years ago to do all my pre recs with a cumulative GPA of 3.6 and science of 3.2. My GPA from 16 years ago dragged me down to a cumulative of 2.33 and science of 2.6. Why is it we need to report this stuff from so long ago, any idea of what can be done with pharmcas or any advice to anyone? Retaking classes out of state at the school I attended where my GPA was nothing is out of the question! I literally dont meet even the min. requirements for any schools because of something that happened 16 years ago! I just need some insight. I feel as though Im being punished for LIFE! I explained my health issues when this all happened in my personal statement. Should I even apply anywhere? Thanks!

I would explain in a letter your circumstances. How many credits have you taken to achieve your new 3.6 and 3.2? Provided that it has been a substantial amount of credits and you've done well in the important classes, ex: organic, you should be able to get into a decent school... I was going to say assuming your PCAT score is good. What is your PCAT?

several schools have academic forgiveness where they just throw out the old gpa. look there first

WHY pharmacy ????

Members don't see this ad :)
I would explain in a letter your circumstances. How many credits have you taken to achieve your new 3.6 and 3.2? Provided that it has been a substantial amount of credits and you've done well in the important classes, ex: organic, you should be able to get into a decent school... I was going to say assuming your PCAT score is good. What is your PCAT?
PCAT Wasnt great 40th %tile, only took it once

PCAT Wasnt great 40th %tile, only took it once
I believe that some schools will overlook past poor performance given:
1) Recent academic excellence
2) Excellent PCAT scores
Schools understand that marks received as an 18yo are not indicative of older applicants, but a 40th percentile just wont cut it at most pharmacy schools.