GPA and Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msa786

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all the residents or 4th year pod students applying to residency, how important of a factor was GPA in your application?
What was the number one aspect looked at/valued in your application?
Does the score you get on your boards matter or is it sufficient that you passed?

Members don't see this ad.

Residency programs will consider GPA during their evaluation of the candidate's entire application package and interview. Some residency programs will require a certain minimum GPA in order to apply to their residency program. As for the boards, Part 1 and Part 2 boards are graded on a PASS / FAIL basis. You will not get a score for those boards. You may be able to get the score for the Part 3 boards, depending on which state you are registered with to take the Part 3 exam. Some states will release the scores to the candidates and other states will release Pass or Fail info to the candidate.

For all the residents or 4th year pod students applying to residency, how important of a factor was GPA in your application?
What was the number one aspect looked at/valued in your application?
Does the score you get on your boards matter or is it sufficient that you passed?

What dpmgrad says goes for most programs. GPA is considered with all of the other factors. I think that your performance while externing at a program as a student goes a long way.

Members don't see this ad :)
What dpmgrad says goes for most programs. GPA is considered with all of the other factors. I think that your performance while externing at a program as a student goes a long way.

What is a competitive GPA for top pod residencies? I know I was striving for around a 3.7 GPA in undergrad right now to be extra competitive for pod school...

What is a competitive GPA for top pod residencies? I know I was striving for around a 3.7 GPA in undergrad right now to be extra competitive for pod school...

I think the key is not to ELIMINATE yourself from an externship opportunity. Obviously, you want your GPA as high as you can get it. Most programs that have a GPA requirement usually have it around 3.0. So if you have that, you can at least get the opportunity to rotate at the program and show them "your stuff."

The link below has a list with programs that have a GPA requirement.

http://www.casprcrip.org/html/casprcrip/listsncharts.asp

I think the key is not to ELIMINATE yourself from an externship opportunity. Obviously, you want your GPA as high as you can get it. Most programs that have a GPA requirement usually have it around 3.0. So if you have that, you can at least get the opportunity to rotate at the program and show them "your stuff."

The link below has a list with programs that have a GPA requirement.

http://www.casprcrip.org/html/casprcrip/listsncharts.asp

Seems like 3.0 is the cutoff for most with some being 2.7 and some higher around 3.25 like a kaiser or some others...is that like MD med schools where they tell you 3.0 is the cutoff but if you dont have at least a 3.6 you are not considered competitive? (just in terms of GPA)

why is kaiser so renowned?

why is kaiser so renowned?

I don't know if it is I just know it is one of the hard residencies to get into and it happens to be in the bay area where I want to end up after school...that's all i know at least maybe there is more

totally what jonwill says.....many programs accept extern or interview application based on GPA and then it's a competition to see who performs the best.

Great advice already... gpa gets you in the door, but your clerkship work ethic, personality, etc get you the spot. However, there are a small handful of programs that are real sticklers for high gpa/rank, published research, etc.

The vast majority of programs just want people who are smart, punctual, and good to work with. That stuff usually all correlates with high gpa, but not always... there are some people who are textbook genuises but social ******s. In the end, intelligence is fake, comptence is real.

okay i have a quick question. DMU and several other pod schools are graded numerically (if you get a 95 in a class its a 95, not an A). The GPA requirements for residencies are 3.0, 4.0, etc.

How do the two work together... is an 80% overall a 3.0 or what? Just a confusing process IMO..

okay i have a quick question. DMU and several other pod schools are graded numerically (if you get a 95 in a class its a 95, not an A). The GPA requirements for residencies are 3.0, 4.0, etc.

How do the two work together... is an 80% overall a 3.0 or what? Just a confusing process IMO..

To my knowledge, only two schools grade on a numerical scale. They are DMU and TUSPM. I believe that DMU actually has a conversion scale. (If I am correct, DMU includes it in the transcript mailing. It has been so long that I have seen a DMU transcript.) However, TUSPM does not convert the numerical grade. Most the local area programs near TUSPM are used to the numerical grading system and usually have some sort of a conversion scheme that they use.

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone tells you that GPA does not matter, then that person is ******ed. Look at some of the top residencies, you'll see there's a gpa or rank requirement. For example, I dont think Inova will interview anyone who isnt ranked close to top 25% of their class.

Believe it or not, I have been told by someone that GPA didnt matter. LOL

I wont mention any names, though.
:laugh:

^^ But I was told this by an actual podiatrist himself and he is very successful today!

^^ But I was told this by an actual podiatrist himself and he is very successful today!

I am not saying you cannot be successful by doing your residency in a middle to lower ranked program.

If you want to get into a well known program, then ranking and GPA count.

Where did your pod do his residency?

There are plenty of successful people in every field of life that did not do well in school.

If you plan to live by this and not do well GPA wise that is fine, but there will be doors closed to you and your success will be determined by your business sense even more.

You can definitely be successful with very little knowledge. Is that what is best for the patients? Is that why you are going into medicine - to be successful (rich/wealthy) or to treat and help patients?

If you are planning to be hired by some one else at first you will want the best training possible and to get that GPA counts.

There are plenty of successful people in every field of life that did not do well in school.

If you plan to live by this and not do well GPA wise that is fine, but there will be doors closed to you and your success will be determined by your business sense even more.

You can definitely be successful with very little knowledge. Is that what is best for the patients? Is that why you are going into medicine - to be successful (rich/wealthy) or to treat and help patients?

If you are planning to be hired by some one else at first you will want the best training possible and to get that GPA counts.

Kraby, good to see that you are alive and doing well. Take care of big Nate for me!

I am not saying you cannot be successful by doing your residency in a middle to lower ranked program.

If you want to get into a well known program, then ranking and GPA count.

Where did your pod do his residency?

Back when he graduated they did not really have residencies so he just started working for another podiatrist straight out of his 4th year of pod school.

Back when he graduated they did not really have residencies so he just started working for another podiatrist straight out of his 4th year of pod school.

That is not uncommon at all. Very few pods used to do residency out of school.

That is not uncommon at all. Very few pods used to do residency out of school.

yeah and somehow they get grand-fathered in to doing rearfoot and ankles surgery!

yeah and somehow they get grand-fathered in to doing rearfoot and ankles surgery!

It's funny that you mention that, because I have read podiatrists' websites on which they boast about doing lots of high-profile ankle reconstruction work even though they've only completed 2 years of residency.

I thought the completion of a 3-year residency was a legal requirement for performing rearfoot procedures?

It's funny that you mention that, because I have read podiatrists' websites on which they boast about doing lots of high-profile ankle reconstruction work even though they've only completed 2 years of residency.

I thought the completion of a 3-year residency was a legal requirement for performing rearfoot procedures?

You need to realize the PM and S residencies are only a few years old. So now you can either do a PM & S - 24 or a PM & S -36 (there are five 4 year residencies left, but you are still granted a PM/S - 36 at the end). All pods finishing residency these days will at least have some surgical training (unlike the past). These fresh DPM's need to complete a 3 year PM & S in order to be certified in FF/RF/Ankle surgery.

Before this changeover, residencies were like alphabet soup (primary podiatry residency, podiatric surgical residency, orthopedics residency, etc). Some were even 1 year in length. Pods could finish residency and have done very little surgery - now it is obviously different with the changeover.

In the 70's and even 80's, there were not many podiatry residencies out there. Most were 1 year in length and a minority were 2. There were only a few spots available as well. Things like "preceptorships" existed where a DPM fresh out of school would work with a older pod for a year or so, gaining surgical skills. So they did develop surgical skills, but it was not regulated like we have today (mandatory 2 years at a hospital, rotations in ER, IM, GS, etc). So yes, there are some older pods out there who were grandfathered in to include ankle surgery. Some states will specify in their scope of practice the necessary background for a current pod to do ankle work (I can think of Connecticut off the top of my head).

Hope this helps