Got the PCAT score today

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VP_Pharm2004

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Chitown23, they were mailed on the 1st of this month. You should get them soon!!

Anyways, what do you guys think about these percentiles? I did horrible in the Verbal & Reading Comprehension :( and I feel awful.

I did awesome in Biology - 89% and Chemistry - 90%. Let's just say I got below 50% on the Reading and Verbal!

So, is that a great score in both Bio and Chem or does everyone get that score too? This was my first time taking the exam, so I don't know.

Members don't see this ad.

I was reading through the PCAT booklet and this wasn't terribly clear to me. Can you take the exam - and NOT have the grade released until you see it, and if it's good- can you request PCAT send it to your school? And if not, retake it and if the results are good, then request PCAT to send it on to the school?

You can wait to see your score before they mail it to your schools or PharmCAS. But it's an extra $16.00. So, might as well tell them the schools you want it mailed to before you take the exam, so you don't have to spend more money.

Members don't see this ad :)
originally posted by VP_Pharm2004
So, is that a great score in both Bio and Chem or does everyone get that score too? This was my first time taking the exam, so I don't know.

Those are good scores. :thumbup: No, everybody doesn't get those scores...90% doesn't mean that you got 90% of the questions right, it means that you did better than 90% of the people that took the PCAT that day in January, on that section. How did you do on math? That's what killed me. Did you prepare much for the verbal and reading sections with prep books or anything? Those sections are tough because I don't think you can study and learn those things, those are things we've been learning since kindergarten. I wouldn't retake it only for those sections, but I guess it all depends on the schools you are applying to. All hope is not lost. Don't let this news bring you down. If you must, pick yourself up and try again, but never give up.

KarmapatroL, thank you for those kind words!

I was in the 64% for math. That section killed me too because there's no way to answer all those questions in that amount of time.

The thing is, English is not my first language, but the PCAT makes it seem like I can't comprehend anything that I'm reading and that I don't have a magnificent vocabulary!!! It's kind of ironic since at one of my pharmacy school interviews, which doesn't require the PCAT, the interviewer said that my English was "immaculate". Not knowing dumb analogies doesn't make anyone else less competitive than the other person.

Don't worry too much about it... I got below a 50 percentile on the verbal section of the PCAT as well. When I talked to a pharmacy advisor, she said if I have a reason for why I didn't score as high, then put it down somewhere on the application...

During one of my interviews, an interviewer actually asked me why I didn't score so high on the verbal compared to all the other sections (I score 95 on math, 85 on chem, 90 on bio...), I simply told them verbal has never been my strength; I told them that a good pharmacist doesn't necessarily have to know all the vocabs in the world; what really matters is good interpersonal skills -- i told them I can write and communicate efficiently and that those things should matter more....

I guess if you seriously don't like your score, retake it if you have a chance. But if I were you I wouldn't worry too much about it. So far I'm not having any problems with pharmacy schools not accepting me, and trust me -- mine was WAY below 50..... :(

sunkiki486, those are great scores in the Math, Bio, and Chem section!!! I agree with you, verbal has never been a strong point of mine either.

damnit u got it...i want minee...yo vp..how did u do overall...i mean i dont want to be mean by asking..but i got a 25 in verbal last time..and a 50 reading last time...but u did amazing is the other stuff...so u must of atleast got above a 70 right?

Unfortunately Chitown, my average was in the 60s percentile. :( I even thought I did well on the Verbal part after the exam, but I guess not. My Chemistry score scared the heck out of me. I thought I did the worst in that section. My verbal score was 30% and reading score was even lower than that! I guess I needed a better strategy for the reading section.

Good luck with your results tomorrow! I hope you get it tomorrow :)

how bout math..i thought it was hard on the jan one?

how bout math..i thought it was hard on the jan one?..where are u applying anyways...im hoping to get above a 60..thats my goal..i think i will be set for many schools wit a 60 percentile because i have a 4.0 gpa..and work at hopsital..and volunter..etc ...etc..but how u do in math

I never took the PCAT in October, so I wouldn't know. But I got a 64% on the math.

Wow, you have a 4.0? You should be able to get in with just that. Unless it's a community college GPA, lol.

I applied to Oregon State and VCU. One coast of the US to the other!

Where did you apply? How was your Bio and Chem % on the Oct. PCAT?

i go to a university of illinois..and have a 4.0..but i did take 2 classes at a community college for summer classes...but i dont think that will matter to much

but as for my october pcat..i did not study what so ever...i did not even take a bio class b4 that...so i didnt know bio...lets just put it this way..overall my composite was a 40...i got a 50 reading...which was my highest..so i dont remmeber the rest of it...but i did terrible...so that why i want this score badly..causae i studied harddddddddddcore overw interbreak..and i thought bio and chem were realy ez..and reading has some of the same passages as the october test...well goood luckkkk

Members don't see this ad :)
Chitown, may I ask what book you used to study this time around? Do you think it helped? Please let us know how you did tomorrow when you get the scores! If you don't want to, that's fine too. Good luck!

for sure ill let you know my score..also....i used the brand new KAPLAN book...its almost exactly the same book that is used in the 900 dollar kaplan class.....i think it was the best overall investment i made for pcats...believe me..i have barrons...this other ****ty book..and like another 3 pcat books..but for sure kaplan is the best...buy it at ecampus.com..for the cheapest deal by far..also i have these audio tapes i bought for like 60 bucks..i think that was the best for bio and chem..but u already did fine in that...if u want them..let me know i can hook u up..peace

i got it today..heres the rundown..not that extatic by my score..but i think its just about there since i have a 4.0...
Verbal=21
Reading=48
math=68
chem=92
bio=87
comostite=69:confused:

well thats the score...what u think..u think i can still get into a good school wit a 4.0 gpa..at university of illinois...work at hospital..volunteer at salvation army..and volunteer research assistant at uic..my top priorty is gettin into uic pharm school..so hopefyully i will..thanks

Originally posted by chitown23
i got it today..heres the rundown..not that extatic by my score..but i think its just about there since i have a 4.0...
Verbal=21
Reading=48
math=68
chem=92
bio=87

well thats the score...what u think..u think i can still get into a good school wit a 4.0 gpa..at university of illinois...work at hospital..volunteer at salvation army..and volunteer research assistant at uic..my top priorty is gettin into uic pharm school..so hopefyully i will..thanks

I think you should point out if you get the chance that your chem/bio score were really good. Unfortunately the verbal brings some people down, but hopefully they'll be pleased with the other scores.

Originally posted by chitown23
Verbal=21
Reading=48
math=68
chem=92
bio=87

Those are good scores chitown23, esp. in Bio and Chem!! Don't worry about the Verbal so much, you basically have to know the entire dictionary to do well on that. I think you should get into Pharmacy school easily. All you need now is good communication and written skills, and you'll be in. Everything else seems great. Good job and good luck.

Finally got mine!

I got a 99...Now i can breathe
Congrats to all those who took the jan test

man it just seems like everyone on this damn website gets like 90's and above..its hard to believe...

Originally posted by ApothRM
Finally got mine!

I got a 99...Now i can breathe
Congrats to all those who took the jan test

Wow! Great score, congrats!

I always thought it wierd that alot of people complain about the verbal section. I thought it was pretty easy, probably even easier than the SAT's verbal. But I guess I read alot, so that helps.

yea thats definetly it..i hate to read...and wasnt brought up by my rents to read...they stressed math and stuff of that nature...reading just came by..thats why i thought i did bad in verbal and reading