PCAT is done for...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whysoez

OMS-III
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Untitled.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
  • Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
We have been discussing ChatGPT in the premed forums.

Here is a blues-style song about the discontinuation of the PCAT for admission to pharmacy school:

Verse 1:
I spent so long studying for the PCAT,
Thinking it was the key to my future, just like that.
But now I hear it's going away,
Leaving me feeling lost and in dismay.

Chorus:
The PCAT is gone,
Leaving me feeling forlorn.
I thought it was the only way,
But now I'm left with nothing to say.

Verse 2:
I spent so much time and money,
Preparing for the test, oh how funny.
But now it's all for naught,
Leaving me feeling like I've been caught.

Chorus:
The PCAT is gone,

Bridge:
I know I shouldn't give up,
But it's hard to keep the faith.
I'll have to find another way,
To get into pharmacy school, come what may.

Chorus:
The PCAT is gone,
But I won't give up, I'll keep on trying,
For my dream of being a pharmacist, I won't stop crying.
I'll keep on pushing, and hope for the best,
And maybe one day

• Sad
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
When will pharmacy schools drop the requirement that students qualify for $200k+ in student loans?

My guess is never.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Funny (sad) that ASHP this year in Las Vegas was getting excited in their announcement of providing updated criteria to those seeking admission to pharmacy schools across the country.

Sounds like this was it.

The PCAT was ridiculous the entire time. The test was outrageously uncalibrated and not a predictor of performance besides the absolutely unqualified. Most reputable schools had it as optional. I was part of the first testing cohort in 00, and it was rotten then.

Reactions: 1 users
Take out PCAT make undergrad required with min classes required. But I still dont get why someone would go through 8 years of schooling undergrand and pharmD and then 2 years of residency for example emergency dept when 1 more year of MD/DO residency emergency dept would pay and give more authorities than a Emergency Dept pharmD (just an example here). The only folks people going for pharmD nowadays realistically should be the ones that is considering a PhD in pharm vs PharmD or contemplating adding some type of professional healthcare degree to a tech background

Take out PCAT make undergrad required with min classes required. But I still dont get why someone would go through 8 years of schooling undergrand and pharmD and then 2 years of residency for example emergency dept when 1 more year of MD/DO residency emergency dept would pay and give more authorities than a Emergency Dept pharmD (just an example here). The only folks people going for pharmD nowadays realistically should be the ones that is considering a PhD in pharm vs PharmD or contemplating adding some type of professional healthcare degree to a tech background
Kinda flawed reasoning. Along the same lines; an MD, why just settle for an Internal Med residency, when you can go just a few more years to become a surgeon, and why settle for that, when you can do a few more years and be a Heart Transplant Surgeon? Might as well move on to Plastic Surgery.
You do know, Pharm.D. is the minimum pharmacy degree and you can't stop any sooner than that!
Dreams and wishes, will not cut it.
NonTradPharmStudent: doesn't exist today. You need to fish in this puddle, or cut bait.

Kinda flawed reasoning. Along the same lines; an MD, why just settle for an Internal Med residency, when you can go just a few more years to become a surgeon, and why settle for that, when you can do a few more years and be a Heart Transplant Surgeon? Might as well move on to Plastic Surgery.
You do know, Pharm.D. is the minimum pharmacy degree and you can't stop any sooner than that!
NonTradPharmStudent: doesn't exist today. You need to fish in this puddle, or cut bait.
not really along the same lines since you are sticking with same profession I am just contemplating time/effort/risk vs reward; rewards are obviously different for everyone where your reasoning will is correct;
PharmD is minimum correct on paper esp for retail work and rarely for anything else nowadays and a greater risk than reward so yes dreams/wishes will not cut it today;

lastly PCAT is useless ask the money hungry pharmacy schools but adding the undergrad stipulation will stabilize the financial aid assessment and student's reassessment on career choice; or this is a long shot make that 3rd year standardized exam (forgot the name) a requirement before going into rotations

because many of those people couldn't get into medical school (some, but not all by any stretch of the imagination)

Cept residency is a labor scam to delay the fact that there’s more graduates than job positions. Also you can train someone to do the same thing, residency is cheap labor