Got Secondaries? part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SeventhSon said:
what's ucsd's secondary?

I couple of short answers that are no big deal but it asks for a 1-2 page autobiography. Sucks.

Members don't see this ad.

angietron3000 said:
Just hit submit on my 25th secondary! still working on 5.. waiting for 8 more.. but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel! yay! :)

[/celebration]

Welcome to my world!!! I did 25 as of 8/23. I'm putting off that UCSD autobio because i just can't get myself to sit and write 2 pages of my entire life.

I'll chime in as a member of the "over 25 completed" club. I've sent out 27 but I still have 7 to do and 4 I haven't gotten yet. The deadline for UC Davis looms, but I really don't know if I'm going to be able to complete it. I can't find a way to talk about the most influential person in my life without going into things that I don't really want to...what a stupid question anyway. Or maybe I'm just bitter.

Members don't see this ad :)
jrdnbenjamin said:
I'll chime in as a member of the "over 25 completed" club. I've sent out 27 but I still have 7 to do and 4 I haven't gotten yet. The deadline for UC Davis looms, but I really don't know if I'm going to be able to complete it. I can't find a way to talk about the most influential person in my life without going into things that I don't really want to...what a stupid question anyway. Or maybe I'm just bitter.
Yea i had a rough time doing that influential person essay too. I guess the trick to that one is.. instead of describing how his/her life, focus more on how YOU grew and became the person you are today because of it. Give specific situations etc. Mine came out pretty good.

Finally complete at Columbia... now anxiously awaiting a rejection ;)

Clocks said:
Finally complete at Columbia... now anxiously awaiting a rejection ;)
Clocks, when did you send everything in? Thanks!

Quote:
I have not received anything either. I took the aug mcat, but had april scores and was verified 6/2something. Maybe they saw my april scores and flicked my file into the bay. Hopefully, they they sprinkle love our way. I mean they can't accept everyone with 35+mcat-- where is the diversity, I mean, they should have a range from 20-40, then they could really feel proud of their diversitiveness (if i may).

I am starting to panic. oh well! In the med app process no news is usually bad news.

-- You don't have to worry at all. My MCAT score is defiintely not close to a 35, but I think I had other things going for me, that's why I got an invitation from UCSF. Trust me--they like to take eccentric, diverse people. I think that's what's so awesome about them. On their website, I saw that the Surgeon General went to UCSF, who was a high school drop out. Still have hope! They look at everything--you can trust me on this!

pny06doc said:
Clocks, when did you send everything in? Thanks!

It must have been around July 31th. That was a little later than I had thought actually ;)

I finally got UCSD - I'm not a CA resident, and they have had my primary app since 07/11. Still crossing my fingers for LA and SF!

CADreaming06 said:
I finally got UCSD - I'm not a CA resident, and they have had my primary app since 07/11. Still crossing my fingers for LA and SF!
Oh congrats! That's encouraging! They've had my primary since the 7/11 as well so maybe I'll hear soon....please oh please send me a secondary!

coco said:
Oh congrats! That's encouraging! They've had my primary since the 7/11 as well so maybe I'll hear soon....please oh please send me a secondary!

I second the encouraging comment...They got my AMCAS on 8/2 and I was already begining to worry about not having a secondary from them yet. whew.

I jut got U of Kansas. That means I'm down to waiting for UCLA (Geffen and Drew) and UWashington. Although I have such a backlog of secondaries to finish that I don't mind waiting or not getting them at all. At least that's how I feel right now! It is nice that at least the "waiting for secondaries" part of this process is done. In a few weeks when I'm done with all the applications, I'm going to feel good!

I've only gotten Kansas and Rosalind Franklin so far, but since my AMCAS hasn't been verified yet, I'm not too worried! (Ros Frank doesn't screen, and Kansas doesn't screen for in-state) I got a late start on getting my AMCAS in but hopefully it will be verified within the next two weeks. I know that I should have a couple of longer secondaries coming (rush and loyola) so it will be good to have these two out of the way early.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got Oregon's secondary.

I have to nominate them for best secondary question:

"Have you ever been found guilty except for insanity, mental disease, defect, etc. or not guilty by reason of insanity, mental
disease, defect, etc. in any proceedings in which you were charged with a felony or misdemeanor?"

So if you're insane, that makes it okay, right?

tacrum43 said:

"Have you ever been found guilty except for insanity, mental disease, defect, etc. or not guilty by reason of insanity, mental
disease, defect, etc. in any proceedings in which you were charged with a felony or misdemeanor?"

HAHAHA!!! I love it! :laugh:

tacrum43 said:

Also, how do we define insane or abnormal???????? By virtue of the DMS IV or whatever that mental illness book is, everyone has some sort of psychological disease or another to some extent. I.E. OCD is considered a mental illness. ;) :D

gujuDoc said:
Also, how do we define insane or abnormal???????? By virtue of the DMS IV or whatever that mental illness book is, everyone has some sort of psychological disease or another to some extent. I.E. OCD is considered a mental illness. ;) :D

Well I think they only care if it is a situation where a court has ruled on something in reference to your insanity. Plus, having OCD doesn't make you insane. I doubt you could justify stealing your neighbor's car, for example, because they had failed to wash it five times that day and you just couldn't stand it.

I also just got Albany's secondary today via e-mail. I'm still waiting on Vermont though, I don't know what's up with them. I submitted my AMCAS June 1, and they don't screen.

tacrum43 said:
Well I think they only care if it is a situation where a court has ruled on something in reference to your insanity. Plus, having OCD doesn't make you insane. I doubt you could justify stealing your neighbor's car, for example, because they had failed to wash it five times that day and you just couldn't stand it.

I also just got Albany's secondary today via e-mail. I'm still waiting on Vermont though, I don't know what's up with them. I submitted my AMCAS June 1, and they don't screen.

My post wasn't meant to be serious. I was just messing around and being funny, hence the wink and smile at the end. :laugh: :laugh:

But I think that question is funny.

Wright State Secondary emails went out today.

For several hours no one could access the page. I finally accessed it about 430 SDN time and tried to submit it but on the fee payment page they have the amount fixed, un-editable @ "$40" When you try to submit the page it comes up with an error because "$40" is invalid, the entry must be "40" or "40.00"

Some one screwed up, who makes these forms. Idiots

UCSD got my AMCAS on 8/2 and I got approved for a secondary today (8/25). Just a heads up for those still waiting.

BTW, anyone know what's up with their MSTP app process? I applied to it on amcas, but there is no info for it on the ucsd secondary...only a vague reference to "independent" joint-degree programs that they offer "in addition" to their MSTP. hmmm...

Is anyone else having trouble submitting the UMass secondary? Everything in my file should be complete, but it still says incomplete and won't let me view the "to do" list. Any advice?

I am having the same problem with UMass. I called the admissions office a couple weeks ago and she said something like the view missing stuff option should be available at the end of this month. I dont know if I believe that since there is no way to even submit...I will probably call them next week if I still haven't heard anything...maybe we all should!

How long ago did you submit the last of your materials? When I called the admissions office, the woman said that the application status link would change to complete after they received all of the documents. She said that I would be able to view the "to do" list after my application is complete. I feel like there is no way to tell if your application is considered complete. I'm so confused!

Still no love from OHSU. I have been checking my mailbox every day!!!! I've got plenty of bills and junk mail but no OHSU.

stressed522 said:
How long ago did you submit the last of your materials? When I called the admissions office, the woman said that the application status link would change to complete after they received all of the documents. She said that I would be able to view the "to do" list after my application is complete. I feel like there is no way to tell if your application is considered complete. I'm so confused!

Well my school uses virtual evals and the letters were posted at the end of July, so i can't understand why my file would be incomplete. I have sent my money and done the required work on the supplemental. So I have no idea, like you I guess. I am confused too. UMass doesnt seem on the ball w/ technology....maybe I will just call them this afternoon but I am so worried about being a pest!

I just emailed UMass to ask how I can find out what is missing. I will let you know when I get a reply!

Great, thank you so much. Look forward to hearing their response to your email.

Got an interview from Northwestern

Thundrstorm said:
Congrats. :clap:

I echo thundrstorm!!!!! :D :clap: :clap:

Babs,

You are kicking some butt in that application process. I just saw your profile......6 interviews, that is awesome!!!!! Congrats and good luck next month.

For all of you that have submitted secondaries;

What has been the average fee for submitting a secondary?

I know it probably varies slightly from school to school, but what would you say is the median cost....?

MB in SD said:

I know it probably varies slightly from school to school, but what would you say is the median cost....?

Fees depend on the school. It could be anywhere from 30 dollars to 100+ dollars for a secondary fees. All fee prices for individual schools are listed in the MSAR.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

just got interviews from USC and OSU!!! :) !!!!!

angietron3000 said:

Is OSU, Ohio State or Oklahoma State????????? Just curious.

Oh and Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!

angietron3000 said:

Congrats! Good luck. :luck:

Angietron when were you complete at OSU

angietron3000 said:
Ohio State. thanks! :)

Oh ok. That's awesomeness. :thumbup:

I spoke to some representatives some years ago in 2004 spring, at an AMSA national convention and looked through the CD they gave me, etc. It looks like a real nice school. A friend of mine actually got accepted there last year, but chose to stay in state.

:luck: with your interview. :thumbup:

MB in SD said:

My average has been $80, with a range from $35 to $115... although most fall between $75 and $100.

WiggyUD said:
Angietron when were you complete at OSU
never! i checked the status page earlier this morning and it said they didn't have my letters yet, then i get the email that my status had changed.. figured they'd just gotten my letters and it was complete, but instead it was an interview! haha

HI resident, verified 8/1, just got the UCSD secondary today 8/26... wow, what a doozy.

AxlxA said:
Still no love from OHSU. I have been checking my mailbox every day!!!! I've got plenty of bills and junk mail but no OHSU.

Just got OHSU today in the mail!! Pretty easy secondary!!

Only wondering about one question:

(4) In high school or college, did you participate in a program to promote or enhance diversity in the health professions,
science, or related careers such as the Health Careers Opportunity Program (HCOP), Minority Medical Education Program
(MMEP), Summer Medical Education Program (SMEP), Trio, Gear Up, or HeadStart?

Do you think this includes research internships? I don't really understand..

firebird69guy said:
Just got OHSU today in the mail!! Pretty easy secondary!!

Only wondering about one question:

(4) In high school or college, did you participate in a program to promote or enhance diversity in the health professions,
science, or related careers such as the Health Careers Opportunity Program (HCOP), Minority Medical Education Program
(MMEP), Summer Medical Education Program (SMEP), Trio, Gear Up, or HeadStart?

Do you think this includes research internships? I don't really understand..

That sounds to me like a really complicated way of asking if you're a URM. They're not interested in if you did research... they're interested if you did research in a program geared specifically toward URMs... at least that's my interpretation of their wording.

oh cool.. this summer research program i participated in really focuses on URM in research, etc. But I qualified for it somehow, although I am not an URM..

I guess I'll list it

Thanks!

kalenakai said:
HI resident, verified 8/1, just got the UCSD secondary today 8/26... wow, what a doozy.
Serious! And **** that autobio...when was the last time I had to write one of those???...4th grade...maybe I should go back and dig it out for ideas :rolleyes:

Or maybe I can start it like:
"My name is John, and I grew up in a white, upper-middle class family in Orange County, CA."

Hmmm, something tells me there would be giant red XXXs on my app after they read that. :p

jrdnbenjamin said:
OHSU is easy, except for that one part where they say "please write a whole new personal statement, just for us." :mad:

True, I read that after I had already submitted my post here on SDN..

Damn.. spoke too soon!

Has any Oregon residents received OHSU's secondary?

TheMightyAngus said:

Not me. I wonder if we could get ahold of the username/ password and finish the secondary ahead of time...hint hint.

Californians, I recommend that you all withdraw from OHSU because you'll hate it here in Oregon. We NEVER honk at other drivers! You're going to feel out of place. Also, you'll probably experience an allergic reaction to clean air.

Status
Not open for further replies.