Got Secondaries? part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
coco said:
Duke doesn't screen, everyone gets it.

For those of you working on Duke's secondary, do you all have a specific moral/ethical situation to write about that you have experienced first hand? Any of you who can't think of anything?

Members don't see this ad.

gujuDoc said:
Did you guys, who were waiting for HMS to send their secondaries, ever hear back???????// I'm asking cuz my friend told me today that she had a friend who said he got secondaries from HMS, Hopkins, UF, USF, and Miami.

A friend of a friend... hmm something could have been lost in the translation. I don't believe HMS has sent out to ANYONE just yet.

The guy in HST in my lab currently says when he applied, the HMS secondary wasn't out until sept.

Hopkins for sure, UF/USF i'm guessing are out as well.

Honestly though, don't sweat it since:
A) everyone gets the secondary
B) the only essay you have to write is if you want to do HST (from what the guy in HST has told me)

Come onnnnnn harvard!

I just got an email from Penn State that my application is complete. Funny, because it's probably been complete for a while. They might be running behind.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhhhh I've done 22 secondaries already!!!! I feel like crap.

Trying to finish up UCLA's today and then I'll relax a bit and hold off on UCSD and duke's.

Other than that, i like how i haven't received butt loads of secondaries in the past week.

Recieved a receipt of a application from UNC today. Secondaries will be awarded to those invited for interviews.

TicAL said:
Recieved a receipt of a application from UNC today. Secondaries will be awarded to those invited for interviews.

Me too. Saves me $ 65.00 if they decide not to interview me. Let's hope for the best.

Just to let you guys know, if Vandy doesn't like you, they'll send you a rejection letter.

... like the one I just received :(

At least they send a letter instead of leaving you in limbo though!

1 down, 23 to go!

TicAL said:
Is that for all applicants or just non-NC residents?

I finally got and finished the Duke secondary. To the person who was asking about the moral/ethical essay, i didn't really have a clue, so i just copied an essay from my Pritzker application and hope that it will do. By the way, is anyone else not able to access the payment site on Duke's app? Let me know. They said it will be up soon.....

Did anyone else get the UCSF Seccondary? I just checked my status:

Application Status Date
AMCAS Data 8/15/2005
Secondary Application Requested 8/22/2005

Congratulations. We want to know more about you.

You are invited to submit a secondary application.

That was quick! BTW i submitted AMCAS July 4th.

UCSF has got to be one of my favorites, just for that. "Congratulations, we want to know more about you. But we don't require any more information, nor are we really asking. So just send us the check; that's all we want to know..."

DeadorAlive said:
UCSF has got to be one of my favorites, just for that. "Congratulations, we want to know more about you. But we don't require any more information, nor are we really asking. So just send us the check; that's all we want to know..."

Yeah, I love it. No essays or anything, so really, they just want to know what our checks look like or something I guess. But hey, if you get their secondary, then that means you have 1/3 of a chance to be interviewed, so that's pretty cool.

I still haven't heard from LA, SD, or Davis. I never thought I'd actually want to write painfully long essays, but here I am...

*Edit* Woops, meant to post this in the UC thread, but I guess it serves its purpose here.

Members don't see this ad :)
TicAL said:
I still haven't heard from LA, SD, or Davis. I never thought I'd actually want to write painfully long essays, but here I am...

*Edit* Woops, meant to post this in the UC thread, but I guess it serves its purpose here.

I appreciate your screen name.

Okay so I didn't want to make a new thread and didn't know where to put this, so here it is. From the dean at Drexel: this past year's step I average was around 230. In case anybody was wondering. Apparently the school is pretty excited (although I hear there were a few comments about the younger classes being anal :p)

DeadorAlive said:

I think the secondaries are an excuse to make money to support interview days. :laugh: :laugh:

They only serve any real purpose if they ask for essays that ask thought provoking questions, like how you define compassion blah blah blah.

EnergyShotz said:
But hey, if you get their secondary, then that means you have 1/3 of a chance to be interviewed, so that's pretty cool.

Does anyone know what the interview chances are for UCSD? Thanks!

MrAndrew47 said:
Did anyone else get the UCSF Seccondary? I just checked my status:

Application Status Date
AMCAS Data 8/15/2005
Secondary Application Requested 8/22/2005

Congratulations. We want to know more about you.

You are invited to submit a secondary application.

That was quick! BTW i submitted AMCAS July 4th.

Hey, Congrats!!! July 4th, huh? Hope you still got to see the fireworks! :)

I wonder if UCSF is still sending these out in waves, or if they're reviewing applications by AMCAS submission date like all of the other UCs now.

Question: After what length of time do you call the non-screening schools about not have received their secondary yet?

I have been verified since 8/5 and have yet to receive secondary invitations from BU and Columbia although friends of mine (still awaiting verification) have received those prompts.

LT2 said:
received OHSU 8/19!! yay!

Hadn't been able to check my mail in weeks...but I got one too! :)

tigress said:
Okay so I didn't want to make a new thread and didn't know where to put this, so here it is. From the dean at Drexel: this past year's step I average was around 230. In case anybody was wondering. Apparently the school is pretty excited (although I hear there were a few comments about the younger classes being anal :p)

I wish Step 1 averages by school were as readily available as MCAT averages...

nefarious said:
Question: After what length of time do you call the non-screening schools about not have received their secondary yet?

I have been verified since 8/5 and have yet to receive secondary invitations from BU and Columbia although friends of mine (still awaiting verification) have received those prompts.
Columbia is available online to everyone isn't it?

Seems like UCSF is speeding up...they got my AMCAS on 8/15 and I received a secondary invite today on 8/23. Just a heads up to everyone else who was waiting impatiently for them to hurry the **** up. :)

nefarious said:

columbia was really weird. Two of my friends got secondaries from columbia immediately, but it took me i think 2 weeks before they sent me a secondary e-mail

Bluntman said:
Seems like UCSF is speeding up...they got my AMCAS on 8/15 and I received a secondary invite today on 8/23. Just a heads up to everyone else who was waiting impatiently for them to hurry the **** up. :)

oh, speak of the devil :)

I still haven't gotten mine :mad:

Bluntman said:
Does anyone without stellar stats like bluntman or applying into MTSP get a secondary from UCSF yet? i still haven't gotten anything but i dont know if i should even expect one.

yay PITT!!!! is this screened?

t is my pleasure to inform you that you have been invited to complete an online Supplemental Application.

To complete your Supplemental Application please visit: http://admissions.medschool.pitt.edu.

Use the following logon credentials to enter our system:
xxxxxxxxx

argonana said:
Hey, Congrats!!! July 4th, huh? Hope you still got to see the fireworks! :)

No fireworks or any sort of fun for me on the 4th unfortunatley! :(
Funny story actually, i was supposted to BBQ for a bunch of people beacuse i thought for sure i would have gotten it sent out on the 3rd. You know how that goes, and everyone at the BBQ went hungry. Oops!

wow FINALLY an email from columbia saying im complete. Geez, took them long enough!!

uc davis anyone? how long after they received your primary?
-mota

AxlxA said:
Does anyone without stellar stats like bluntman or applying into MTSP get a secondary from UCSF yet? i still haven't gotten anything but i dont know if i should even expect one.

I have not received anything either. I took the aug mcat, but had april scores and was verified 6/2something. Maybe they saw my april scores and flicked my file into the bay. Hopefully, they they sprinkle love our way. I mean they can't accept everyone with 35+mcat-- where is the diversity, I mean, they should have a range from 20-40, then they could really feel proud of their diversitiveness (if i may).

I am starting to panic. oh well! In the med app process no news is usually bad news.

AxlxA said:
yay PITT!!!! is this screened?

t is my pleasure to inform you that you have been invited to complete an online Supplemental Application.

To complete your Supplemental Application please visit: http://admissions.medschool.pitt.edu.

Use the following logon credentials to enter our system:
xxxxxxxxx

congrats on Pitt! It is indeed screened. Lots of us are waiting to get their secondary. It's good to know they're sending them out regularly. I'm hoping I get mine this week!

HOLY Davis! i was starting to wonder... now i have the monumental task of ALL 9 essays! :eek:

Congrats LT2, Davis took me a whole week to complete. Then when you recieve your UCLA secondary, u'll see that both are asking for same info. But here's the caviat: Davis limit 6000 char. UCLA limit 800 char. I had a rough time trimming all my essays down for LA.

My best turn around time thus far: 4 hours U of Pitt. Recieved, Copy/paste essays and changed school name to U of Pitt. then sent off.

AxlxA said:
Congrats LT2, Davis took me a whole week to complete. Then when you recieve your UCLA secondary, u'll see that both are asking for same info. But here's the caviat: Davis limit 6000 char. UCLA limit 800 char. I had a rough time trimming all my essays down for LA.

My best turn around time thus far: 4 hours U of Pitt. Recieved, Copy/paste essays and changed school name to U of Pitt. then sent off.

thanks! how long were your davis essays? the character limits give room for creativity, but i don't know if i should go with that or not... any advice is welcome...

LT2 said:
thanks! how long were your davis essays? the character limits give room for creativity, but i don't know if i should go with that or not... any advice is welcome...

I think it depends on what you have to say. I wouldn't ramble on just to fill up the character limit. But it is nice not to feel restricted. Mine were lengthy but I really liked those essays because I felt like I really got the opportunity to explain myself. Those secondaries that only allow for 1000 characters per prompt are tought for me!

Yeah, UCSF! I honestly thought I wouldn't get it. And it's so easy that I've already put it in the mail. :D

Faust said:
I have not received anything either. I took the aug mcat, but had april scores and was verified 6/2something. Maybe they saw my april scores and flicked my file into the bay. Hopefully, they they sprinkle love our way. I mean they can't accept everyone with 35+mcat-- where is the diversity, I mean, they should have a range from 20-40, then they could really feel proud of their diversitiveness (if i may).

I am starting to panic. oh well! In the med app process no news is usually bad news.

Don't get too worried yet! It seems like they're sending these out over a couple of days (at the least).
I called the office today in a bit of a panic, and UCSF definitely still seems to be plugging away at their end. Each file has to get individually prepped for review (whatever that means).
Another week, and I know I'll be pulling my hair out. But not yet.

MrAndrew47 said:
No fireworks or any sort of fun for me on the 4th unfortunatley! :(
Funny story actually, i was supposted to BBQ for a bunch of people beacuse i thought for sure i would have gotten it sent out on the 3rd. You know how that goes, and everyone at the BBQ went hungry. Oops!

Hah, that's pretty funny. I had a number of friends randomly decide to come visit from CA in late June/early July...and as far as sightseeing around here, I left them to their own wits. Oh, the joys of AMCAS!

titoincali said:
Yeah, UCSF! I honestly thought I wouldn't get it. And it's so easy that I've already put it in the mail. :D
AHHH i'm so jealous!!!!! Congrats.

/me mumbles some curses

Didn't want to look at back through this gi-normous thread...

For those of you who have recieved the secondary from the U of Washington, how long did it take for them to give it to you after your AMCAS was verified?

waterlily said:
wow FINALLY an email from columbia saying im complete. Geez, took them long enough!!

Do you remember when you sent yours in? I emailed them yesturday, b/c some schools weren't recieving my letters of rec and I wanted to know if I needed to have them resent to them and this was their reply:

Hi,

We will not be working on the 2006 applications until the end of August, beginning September, we are still finalizing 2005. We will send out emails as soon as we start

Thank you

:(

I got the Wright State secondary finally, but the link wont work after I type in everything! Anyone else having the same problem?

Kleintje said:
Do you remember when you sent yours in? I emailed them yesturday, b/c some schools weren't recieving my letters of rec and I wanted to know if I needed to have them resent to them and this was there reply:

Hi,

We will not be working on the 2006 applications until the end of August, beginning September, we are still finalizing 2005. We will send out emails as soon as we start

Thank you

:(

They should have received everything of mine between the 3rd or 4th week of July. Good luck! I'm sure you'll be notified soon

Just hit submit on my 25th secondary! still working on 5.. waiting for 8 more.. but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel! yay! :)

[/celebration]

angietron3000 said:
Just hit submit on my 25th secondary! still working on 5.. waiting for 8 more.. but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel! yay! :)

[/celebration]

Congrats! I'm definitely jealous! Between work and classes I can't get myself to finish these essays very quickly.

angietron3000 said:

[/celebration]

That's insane :p :)

I'm hoping to be done with all of mine by the end of august so I can focus on interview preparation. I'm currently working on 3 UC's--such a pain.

Overeducated said:
That's insane :p :)

I'm hoping to be done with all of mine by the end of august so I can focus on interview preparation. I'm currently working on 3 UC's--such a pain.
I know what you mean, the last two I submitted were UCs, still working on UCSD's killer autobiography..

titoincali said:
Congrats! I'm definitely jealous! Between work and classes I can't get myself to finish these essays very quickly.
Luckily we have a lot of downtime at work so I get to work on them a bit from there, but now that classes are starting I don't know how I'll get the others done! Copy and paste I guess! :D

angietron3000 said:
I know what you mean, the last two I submitted were UCs, still working on UCSD's killer autobiography..

Luckily we have a lot of downtime at work so I get to work on them a bit from there, but now that classes are starting I don't know how I'll get the others done! Copy and paste I guess! :D

what's ucsd's secondary?

Status
Not open for further replies.