MD & DO Got a D, retook and got an A: Medical school application chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

petitechouette

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I recently graduated from my college with a double major (Biology and French) and a minor. My final cumulative GPA is 3.58.

Throughout my undergrad, I received about 40 A's and 20 B's. I received a D from Gen Chem I (sophomore year's first semester) and I received a C in Calculus 2 and a C in Gen Chem II (sophomore year's second semester). My sophomore year was a pretty stressful point in my life due to some family problems (due to the nature of the topic, I don't even have any idea how I can best talk about it in my personal statement or during a medical school interview).

I retook Gen Chem I during my last semester and got an A. During my last semester, I also got A's in both Organic Chem II lecture and lab.

I am currently on my gap year working as a medical scribe at the Emergency Department of my top choice medical school since a month ago. We were promised letters of recommendations if we do well in our duties as scribes. So far, I have been getting good feedback from doctors with whom I work. However, I just checked the FAQ's of my top choice medical school where they state "minimum of C grade for any course" as one of their admission requirements.

Do you guys think I still have a chance to get into this medical school? I will of course apply to (a lot of) other medical schools. I am going to take the MCAT in Spring 2016 and have started studying for it.

Throughout my undergrad, I have been constantly leading volunteer projects and I have 1 year worth of volunteer experience at 2 hospitals. I speak 3 languages and have studied abroad and volunteered while I was abroad. I also have held positions in a club during my undergrad. However, I never did research and I do not really have a good relationship with my college pre-med advisor (he stopped being friendly to me when I decided to do a second major that is non-science, and he also did not like that I wanted to study abroad--he told me these are not worth doing), and so I am not sure if it is gonna be worth it to even try to ask him for a letter of recommendation.

Since I have not yet taken the MCAT, I know it may be a bit hard to determine my chances of getting into medical schools in general, but I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can tell me how likely my D grade in Gen Chem I (which I retook and got an A) may negatively affect my chances of getting into medical schools--especially if they state in their FAQ's that their criteria is "minimum of C for any course."

Thank you in advance!

(I apologize if there's a similar thread, tried to find one but couldn't!)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
(While I'm not a med student/admin) I think that you definitely still have a shot. You retook the grade that was below a C for an A. The D will still be a factor in your GPA, but the A means you successfully completed the course and mastered the material. I don't believe those requirements are written to mean "IF YOU EVER GOT A D IN A CLASS YOU ARE REJECTED!!!!!", I think its more saying that they won't consider a D successful completion of a prerequisite course.

You're ECs are great, and the overall GPA, while a bit low, wont be a deal breaker in itself. I got C's in gen chem 1 &2 and actually failed Bio 1 the first time I took it, and have been on a few MD and DO interviews. So they certainly wont throw your app in the trash for a couple bad grades. That said, you've gotta absolutely decimate the MCAT, especially the CARS section, in order to show you're comfortable with challenging concepts in chemistry.

Best of luck!

PS Make sure to write a killer personal statement

Reactions: 1 user
If your sGPA is close to what your cGPA is you'll be competitive. Focus on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
@goldy490 thanks for your response! I'm still trying to figure out a great/solid MCAT study schedule but I'm actually most worried about writing a personal statement. I am a good writer and have always enjoyed writing but I somehow find writing about myself difficult..... I will try my best though, of course! Thanks again.
@GrapesofRath unfortunately, my sGPA is 3.2..... Another thing I'm worried about.

If you want to know for sure, just call the medical school regarding your grade and you should get an answer.

Retaking the course and getting an A was a really good decision on your part. I'm assuming that you did well in orgo and biochem, which will also indicate that you mastered gen chem concepts. Good luck.

I got my lowest grades in senior year (lowest being a D- in genetics) because of family issues. I plan on retaking my classes, too, but I probably won't be given much mercy since my bad grades were in my final year.