Got a Chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lc18

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT 3 times: 20O(April 2005) 26Q(August 2005) and 29Q(August 2006) with a GPA of 3.74, BCPM 3.70. Do you guys think I have a chance of getting into med school? I applied in 2006 and got 0 interviews and rejected everywhere with the MCAT score of 26. Is a 3 point increase substantial enough? I'm getting ready to apply this June

Members don't see this ad.

I took the MCAT 3 times: 20O(April 2005) 26Q(August 2005) and 29Q(August 2006) with a GPA of 3.74, BCPM 3.70. Do you guys think I have a chance of getting into med school? I applied in 2006 and got 0 interviews and rejected everywhere with the MCAT score of 26. Is a 3 point increase substantial enough? I'm getting ready to apply this June

I am surprised that you didn't receive any interviews last year. Although, I obviously don't know where you applied. I would think if you apply broadly and early, you should have no problem landing an acceptance, probably multiple. Your MCAT is slightly below average for allopathic schools,I think, and above average for most,if not all, D.O. schools. Your GPA is solid. I would think you should be fine for next year. Good luck!!!!

Rob

You don't know your chances unless you try! Again, MCAT scores are just one component of MANY....as long as you are well-rounded and cover all bases, you'll be fine. Your scores show improvement and that counts for something!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would apply if yor mcat + gpa * 10 > 65.

Yes. As always, apply to many schools (both number and competitiveness) and you will get interviews.

it depends on your mcat distribution. If you got like a 7,10,12 then that 7 could keep you out of med school.

Your numbers are just fine. The rest of your application will get you in or not.

7V 10P and 12B..bad distribution? will that 7 prevent me from getting in?

I wouldn't worry too much about the 7. I applied last year with a 6 in VR (10PS, 11BS) and still got interviewed at my state school...unfortunately got waitlisted. Applying again this year with a slightly better MCAT...this time with a 7 in VR (12PS, 11BS).....Hopefully things will go better this time.

7 Verbal is really killing you, some schools have an automatic cutoff for low verbal scores. Get that up and provided you have research, good clinical and other ECs and you should be fine. Also, did you apply broadly and have you considered DO programs since your MCAT is about average for those.

I hear you about the 7. I have a 7 in PS that I am sure is killing me. My verbal is a 13 though, so I had hoped it would balance out. Only one invite so far.

Hey Guys,

I really dont post on SDN anymore but I wanted to tell you guys about my experience and "7s". I'm currently a 2nd year in Med school. 1st time applicant/acceptance 2 years ago w/ a 7, 11, 11 breakdown. Nothing stellar I dont think in the app that any other med student doesn't do (decent gpa, ec's) but I applied widely and got 10+ interviews which I declined a couple after finding out abt acceptances and I was accepted by 3 places and didn't follow up on waitlists after...

If possible i think the trick was give urself more shots and apply to widely if its in ur budget. Get to the interview and knock their socks off. Good luck guys. My study break from pharm =(...

29M here - and received my first acceptance this year.