Goro's Guide to the DO School Application Process, 2019 ed.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are there any updates on schools doing better? I applied to CCOM, VCOM, ATSU, NOVA, TUORO-NY and PCOM without reading that you do not like NOVA or TUORO NY
Touro NY has been off the Bad Boy list for a few years now.

Nova is still NOT recommended. They seem to go out of their way to sabotage their students, and are unresponsive to student concerns.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Avoid Nova like the plague
I've read some of the comments about the admin and board passing- is there anything else of concern? I was worried about the opportunities for clinical sites with the new MD school?

So would you say WCUCOM is better than Nova? I only got those two so far and the deadline is coming up :/
Yea WCUCOM over nova, nova has a lack of support for students, only thing better for nova is the location other than that WCUCOM is better.

Reactions: 1 user
o If you're hesitant to apply because of fears that you won't get that coveted ultra-competitive residency, well, that’s a valid concern. With the merger of AOA and ACGME residencies, it’s going to be an uphill battle for DO grads for top residency sites, and/or the uber-residencies like Neurosurgery or Derm. The best source to give you an idea of how competitive different fields are can be seen in the annual NRMP Program Director’s survey. For 2018, see: https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/NRMP-2018-Program-Director-Survey-for-WWW.pdf

Does this mean that you’re limited to Peds or Family Medicine? No, but just approach this process eyes open, and be aware the some fields are more DO-friendly than others. Let’s put this another way: knowing that the majority of DO grads go into Primary Care, are you OK with that being your most likely career path???? But please do not be surprised that the mission of the AOA is to train more Primary Care doctors.

Having been through the process I can tell you that if you're the type of student that cannot get into an MD school, the chances to get into a top competitive specialty are pretty much none. People that think they'll magically become the type to match Ortho coming into DO school with a 3.0/499 are delusional

EDiT: I should clarify to mean that "cannot get into an MD school" means your stats are too low. This doesn't mean you're in CA with a 3.8/515/Asian and your geography and background keep you from getting a spot. At that point you're clearly MD caliber but with back luck

Last edited:
Having been through the process I can tell you that if you're the type of student that cannot get into an MD school, the chances to get into a top competitive specialty are pretty much none. People that think they'll magically become the type to match Ortho coming into DO school with a 3.0/499 are delusional
DO student here. 497 MCAT—>250s+ Steps top 5% med school class etc—>mutiple Interviews at top tier Internal Medicine programs which are arguably ortho competitive. I can tell you it can be done but it takes brutal work ethic as i know for a fact i am of avg intelligence with clinical IQ tests to prove it. DOs looking at this that got into DO school that want something competitive and dont have the option for MD atthis point-im telling you it can be done but I highly suggest the MD route if you want something competitive it is soo so so much less of an uphill battle my gosh

On the flip side, my school has sent students into Uber-specialties at good academic, classic ACGME-associated university residencies. If one is at the top of the Class of a DO school, they can go toe to toe with MD grads. Is it harder? Well yeah. The wise @Angus Avagadro can speak to this as well.

Are students at the middle to bottom of the Class going to go mostly into DO-loving specialties at community hospitals at former AOA sites? Well, yeah. That's why people need to go into this eyes-open.

I find that the magic thinking is much stronger with the folks going to Carib.

But as an FYI, here's data from the Program Director's (https://mk0nrmp3oyqui6wqfm.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/2020-PD-Survey.pdf)

Interview DORank DO
OftenSeldomNeverOftenSeldomNever
Radiation Oncology7672776727
Dermatology85833185527
Plastic Surgery8583385833
Neurological Surgery15236283162
Otolaryngology204040203644
Orthopaedic Surgery214931214633
Thoracic Surgery255817185527
Child Neurology31501971290
Interventional Rads3655945459
Vascular Surgery434314434314
Internal Medicine/Pediatrics572914572914
Surgery573112563212
Obstetrics and Gynecology623216523018
ALL Programs642610662511
Anesthesiology7224475214
Emergency Medicine7423378193
Radiology-Diagnostic7426072280
Internal Medicine7523275205
Neurology7624076240
Pathology7813977185
Pediatrics7833078330
Psychiatry7816584143
Transitional Year8614077230
Family Medicine97309820
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation1000010000

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
DO student here. 497 MCAT—>250s+ Steps top 5% med school class etc—>mutiple Interviews at top tier Internal Medicine programs which are arguably ortho competitive. I can tell you it can be done but it takes brutal work ethic as i know for a fact i am of avg intelligence with clinical IQ tests to prove it. DOs looking at this that got into DO school that want something competitive and dont have the option for MD atthis point-im telling you it can be done but I highly suggest the MD route if you want something competitive it is soo so so much less of an uphill battle my gosh
Sure, you exist, but I have seen the internal data of over 10 years from my school. If you want to bank on being an outlier, go ahead. I can also point you to someone that got into Harvard MD with <3.0 and that doesn't mean you should be applying there if that's you. Majority of the time you start as a poor student and maybe you can make it to a below average one (~220)

On the flip side, my school has sent students into Uber-specialties at good academic, classic ACGME-associated university residencies. If one is at the top of the Class of a DO school, they can go toe to toe with MD grads. Is it harder? Well yeah. The wise @Angus Avagadro can speak to this as well.

I mean, I agree. If you come in with a 3.6 and like a 510, you are more likely to do well and match well. My point still stands. If you're entering a DO school in their 10th percentile of admission stats and you're hesitant about going DO because you want ortho, the truth is you will probably never be ortho even if an MD school took you

I mean, I agree. If you come in with a 3.6 and like a 510, you are more likely to do well and match well. My point still stands. If you're entering a DO school in their 10th percentile of admission stats and you're hesitant about going DO because you want ortho, the truth is you will probably never be ortho even if an MD school took you
Agree 100%.

Even our students who reinvented themselves via post-bacs or SMP nearly always go into the DO loving specialties.

Agree 100%.

Even our students who reinvented themselves via post-bacs or SMP nearly always go into the DO loving specialties.
I also agree. Our top quartile students match very well. Matching will be harder as a DO. Most DO schools have a regional reputation which also helps. I have seen students with low Mcat scores go on to do well in school and boards. This is usually in men who sometimes tend to develop neurologically slower than the females. Usually by mid twenties men are fully developed neurologically. The match game has changed considerably over the last 3 or 4 years. I have noticed good students getting later interviews and matching their first choices harder. I am retired now and don't have any students applying that I have personally endorsed. I think my best advice is to play the match game well under the most recent rules. Applications are up, so the competition will be firmer. A successful applicant matching in the specialty they desire should have all the boxes checked for that specialty. Ex., research will be necessary for ortho, but not anesthesia or primary care. Board scores appropriate to those of current residents.Try to audition at the place you think you are the best fit, DO friendly, and for your board scores. Crush the audition. Try to get a good LOR from a dept chair. Remember to look at university affiliate, some are quite good. And yes, most students don't go from 495 mcat to 250+ Step scores. Agreed, our bottom third will mostly have trouble matching outside FM or community IM.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Absolutely!!
Hey Goro! I know it’s been a couple of months since this thread has been active, but I want to get your opinion on DMU and KCOM (Kirksville not Arizona). I’ve been fortunate enough to be accepted to both and am currently leaning towards DMU bc of the bigger city. However, I’m not sure if there’s one you prefer over the other when it comes to curriculum/program strength and matches. Currently interested in radiology, maybe anesthesia, but am ok with FM as well (of course these may all change as I go through school). Thank you in advance!

Hey Goro! I know it’s been a couple of months since this thread has been active, but I want to get your opinion on DMU and KCOM (Kirksville not Arizona). I’ve been fortunate enough to be accepted to both and am currently leaning towards DMU bc of the bigger city. However, I’m not sure if there’s one you prefer over the other when it comes to curriculum/program strength and matches. Currently interested in radiology, maybe anesthesia, but am ok with FM as well (of course these may all change as I go through school). Thank you in advance!
Both fine schools!!!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
That time of year!

OK, it's app season, and I've already addressed things that will be common concerns to any med school applicant (MD or DO). See this thread:
Goro's guide to the app process (2019 ed.)
First off, should you apply to DO schools? I feel that if you have a GPA of 3.5 or higher, AND an MCAT of 513, then it’s worth trying an MD only cycle.
IF you have an MCAT of 512 or less and/or a GPA of < 3.5, then try MD + DO.
IF you have an MCAT of < 504, and/or GPA of < 3.4 (without a steep rising GPA trend or any postbac/SMP classes, then go DO only. Your mileage may vary if you live in a lucky state like MS, ND, NM, AL, etc.

Here I'd like to touch on things for you DO candidates specifically.

o Do your homework. We expect you to know about osteopathy, and please, do better than quoting wikipedia at us. And if any of you say "they look at the whole person" or, “your hands are your tools” one more time, I'm going to reach across the table and smack you upside the head!

o To that end, find a DO to shadow! This is especially imperative if you live within driving distance of a DO school, or live in areas of the country which are relatively DO-rich, like the mid-west or the east coast.

o If you've ever been on the receiving end of OMM/OMT, make sure you let us know about it in your app.

o DO does not always = MD in terms of how doctors approach a clinical problem. So be sure to shadow both MDs and DOs, if at all possible. You should be able to articulate how they're similar, and how they differ.

o While there are DO schools that require a DO LOR, lacking one will not kill you at those schools (like mine) that don't require one. We know that there are some areas where there are fewer DOs, and a gazillion pre-meds are pestering them for LORs, so it's hard to get them. BUT, having a DO LOR always helps! Shows you've gone the extra mile. BTW, people who have two DO LORs are rare, and we give them extra credit.

o If you look at the numbers, there are DO schools that have stats for matriculants that are on par with those of some MD schools and even exceed some state MD schools, like U AR or U KS. So like MD schools, DO schools will expect you to have a minimum standard, but they're more willing to accept a high GPA + low MCAT or a high MCAT + low GPA applicant. By "low", I mean a floor of 3.0 for GPA, and MCAT of ~500.

o To that end, if your MCAT score is <497, I strongly suggest a retake. If your GPA is <3.0, I suggest either aceing a post-bac, or SMP.

o If you're hesitant to apply because of fears that you won't get that coveted ultra-competitive residency, well, that’s a valid concern. With the merger of AOA and ACGME residencies, it’s going to be an uphill battle for DO grads for top residency sites, and/or the uber-residencies like Neurosurgery or Derm. The best source to give you an idea of how competitive different fields are can be seen in the annual NRMP Program Director’s survey. For 2018, see: https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/NRMP-2018-Program-Director-Survey-for-WWW.pdf

Does this mean that you’re limited to Peds or Family Medicine? No, but just approach this process eyes open, and be aware the some fields are more DO-friendly than others. Let’s put this another way: knowing that the majority of DO grads go into Primary Care, are you OK with that being your most likely career path???? But please do not be surprised that the mission of the AOA is to train more Primary Care doctors.

o Most MD schools are in urban areas. Not so for a number of DO schools. So think carefully about where a school is. I don't believe that the areas around Pikesville or LUCOM will be happy places for gay or minority students.

o If you'd rather be at an MD school, and you're applying to both, consider NOW whether you'd rather be at a DO school, or an MD one. We've certainly had people turn us down for the nearby MD school, and vice-versa. Every year we see threads entitled “Accepted at DO but on MD waitlist. Should I re-apply?” I despise these threads. Self-hating DOs are real, and I don’t want them as students.

o When you go on interviews, the most important question you can ask is of the students who attend there: "why did you choose this school?"
Concerning new schools, they can be problematic. Their Faculty take time to gel and deliver a good curriculum. For their first couple of years, they have lower Board scores, and higher attrition rates. Plus, PDs aren’t familiar with their grads. But keep in mind that low pass rates, Board scores and high attrition can result from Admissions policies. New schools, by the fact that they're new, are more desperate to fill seats and will accept more marginal candidates. These are the people who are more likely to fail, or take LOA. If you are good at self-learning, you can handle a new school.

Some valuable advice fromgrapefruit17 in this thread:
Factors that matter when choosing a DO school.

Currently, there are five DO schools I can’t recommend. Here’s why:

Nova: three of the four last years have declining first-time COMLEX pass rates. They're now at ~85% and on top of this, some 7% of their 2018 grads failed to match. This was the second worst match rate among all the COMs (only WCU did worse). They also have yet to post their 2018 COMLEX results, even though they’ve had a full year to mull them over. This is NOT a good sign. These are all things you expect from a new school, not a veteran one. Something is very wrong there.

Wm Carey: VERY high attrition rates and only a 92% placement rate for their Class of 2018. That means 8% of their grads are now unemployed, NOT doing residency. No SOAP, no scramble, no TRI. This is simply NOT acceptable. I expect they'll be put on probation very soon.

Touro-NY: Poor COMLEX II pass rates.

LUCOM: I have a profound distaste for the politics of their parent organization; they’re disingenuous about whether their strict lifestyle rules apply to medical students (they do); and their Faculty make blatant attempts to twist facts to match their theology.

From the wise gyngyn: Liberty is poorly regarded due to the history of intolerance of their founding fathers. This school's reputation for intolerance puts its grads at a disadvantage at many reputable residency programs.

LMU: granted continuing Accreditation with Heightened Monitoring. “Accreditation with Heightened Monitoring: This indicates that fewer than three standards are non-compliant and ongoing monitoring will occur via progress reporting. For schools with this status, accreditation will be granted for four years.”

This is the only COM that has this level of accreditation status right now.

Goro:

Nice job on this! You put alot of effort into this. I know as a pre-med I would have appreciated your thoughts!

Wook

• Love