Goro's Guide to the Application Process (2022 edition)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, application season is upon us once again. I have some tips for you. Grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair.

What do we Adcoms look for? People who will make good doctors and will be good students.

But to be the former, you have to be the latter. Evidence for doing well in med school is evidenced by an applicant with above average grades and MCAT score, evidence of a good work ethic, strong time management skills, reasonable expectations of what it means to have a career in medicine based on personal experiences acquired as an adult (not, "I shadowed by grandpa when I was 8 and therefore I know what it is to be a doctor"), capacity for self-reflection, able to give and receive feedback and learn from it, good self-care and resilience in tough times.

A high risk of failing out or withdrawing due to lack of motivation would be the opposite of the attributes listed above (kudos to LizzyM for this).

Applying early is good. But don’t freak out if you’re not submitting by end of July. Most Admissions deans don’t get started at work until after Labor Day. By end of September, it's probably too late for MD schools (unless you’re a stellar candidate, or fulfill one of the school’s missions), but FYI, the DO cycle is longer (up to early Dec or even Jan!) There are DO-specific posts in the pre-Osteopathic forum later.

Do NOT underestimate how much time it will take to properly fill out 20-30 apps! I believe that anything >35 will simply kill you, as you'll burn out and also get sloppy. Pay very careful attention to these wise words from Gonnif:

I want to point out …the need to understand the money, time, and effort in applying to medical school and why the very common mistake of applying to far too many schools in hopes you will get into one is not the most optimal and efficient strategy to get into medical school. I hear applicants tell me all the day the days, weeks, even months they spend in crafting their PS on their primary, but do not see the they will have 10-20-30 or more secondaries that need to be done in the same highly polished, coherent, and concise way that your Primary was done. You don’t get into medical school because you got in more secondaries quickly, you get into med school by having good quality secondaries.

When I tell applicants that just applying to medical school [that is the actual applications] should be considered a full time job from mid-May thru at least mid-August, they do not seem to fathom it. When they ask when they can travel for 3 weeks out of the country, I say the year before you apply. It is a sh*tload of work and that seems to shock them when it actually happens. This is why I reiterate, reiterate, reiterate:

Prereqs completed before MCAT
MCAT completed before AMCAS
AMCAS completed before opening day
Because the secondaries can drown you

If you don't have your MCAT in (or some other crucial requirement), it's OK to start applying, but for verification ONLY. The verification process can take some time, so if you can get that out of the way, so much the better. Apply to an unrealistic reach school. But if you’re re-taking MCAT and are waiting for your new score, get verified, do NOT apply until you have your new score. Schools do not hold your apps in the hope that you’ll get a better score.

Do NOT apply to a school that you don't want to go to. It's one thing to not like a place after an interview, but, really, do your homework. I am appalled by people who have 1000s of hours of research experience, yet can’t be bothered to look over med school websites, other than the Admissions face page. These pages are very valuable in letting you know what they’re looking for. Some examples:

Think about where the schools are. Mayo and Rochester are not merely cold in the winter, but Siberian cold. Like Winter makes a serious attempt to kill you cold. Tulane, on the other hand, is hot and sauna-like in the summer (but with great food). Consider your support groups, if you're leaving home for the first time. I literally have lost students to homesickness.

Don't know where to apply? Do your homework. MSAR Online is a mandatory resource. The money it will save you from not applying to even one wrong school (for you) will more than make up for the cost of MSAR.

Know your target schools, beyond the numbers. Many schools are mission driven, like Howard, UCR, SIU, U ILL-Carle, Mercer and Central Michigan. Again, do your research!

Look up how many public schools accept out-of-state students, and what percentage are these of the class? MSAR tells you this in the Acceptance Information tab. Many schools (ex. Mercer, UND, SIU, USD, U NM, U MS) will highly favor in-state residents, to the exclusion of OOSers. Those OOS students taken at, say, U IA or U AL, most likely come from neighboring states, or went to undergrad in the state. I am surprised at how many people draw up lists of schools to apply to, based upon info from USN&WR (again, poor research skills on parade here). So don't apply to U HI just because you'd love to go to med school in HI. Have the bona fides for HI. My rule of thumb is if >5% of the matriculants are from OOS, it might be worth applying. But be > avg.

More and more med schools accept CC credits. Again, MSAR is useful in telling you who do, and who don’t take the coursework. Here's a rule of thumb.

-If you go to a CC and then to a UG school, that's fine.
-If you go to a CC as a non-trad to get the pre-reqs, or for grade repair as a DIY post-bac, that's also fine.
-If it appears that you're avoiding your UG school's rigorous weeding courses by taking them at CCs, then that's going to raise some eyebrows.

Apply strategically! What I mean is look over the MCAT AND GPAs of the schools you're interested in, and apply to those whose median scores are close to your own. Do NOT apply to a school if your numbers are <10th percentile of matriculants. The people who get into Yale with a 510 MCAT are either URM, legacies, veterans, or have something really spectacular about their story.

My suggestion is that if you're 2-4 points below the school's medians, you're in striking distance, but consider your numbers carefully. Apply smart and apply once. But the higher the pole you want to climb, the slipperier it will get.

In light of the above, there's "reach", and then there's "unrealistic". Be realistic.

If your GPA is under 3.4, I recommend NOT applying now, unless you live in an area where the state schools have their 10th-90th percentiles stretching down to 3.3. An example is U AR or U MO-KC. Better to take a post-bac or SMP and get the GPA into a competitive zone. Oh, and I'm not impressed with the n=1 stories of "my cousin got into Harvard with a 3.0 GPA". There will always be outliers.

If you do well in a SMP/post-bac (GPA >3.6 AND have a MCAT > 513), or have a massive rising GPA trend that looks like the Nike swoosh, then there are med schools that reward reinvention, even if your cGPA is <3.4! Search for my other posts for lists of those.

A great GPA is not going to make up for a poor MCAT, and vice versa.

The average MD matriculant nationwide (as of 7/22) has a cGPA of ~3.81 and an MCAT of 512. Remember these numbers.

In that vein, think very carefully about "ties" to a state. Growing up in a place and then moving away is fine. Wife's family lives there? Not fine.

Have as many eyeballs as possible go over your app. There's no excuse for spelling, grammar or thoughtless mistakes on your PS. And for God's sake, when you cut and paste, remove school A's name and replace it with B for the app for school B. As in sports, where the team that makes more mistakes will lose, the apps with the fewest mistakes get received more kindly. Med schools, with > 5000s apps and only 100-200 seats, need immediate ways to cull the herd.

Don't use your PS to explain why you got bad grades. It's for "Who are you?” for "Why Medicine?" and how you got to that decision.

Speaking of the PS, see these invaluable comments by the wise Med Ed: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/youre-doing-it-wrong-part-1-your-personal-statement.1247362/

Do NOT write in your PS or secondary about what you think we want to see...write about your passions and what drives you. Write about what makes you interesting.

• The “diversity” prompt for secondaries (as in "How will you add to the diversity of our class"?) is NOT about your ethnic background. It’s about what unique thing do you bring to the entering Class? Think of it this way: if I asked your three best friends “what’s the coolest thing about you?” what would they say?
  • Give some serious thought to the “Tell us about a time you failed” or “The biggest obstacle that you overcame is….?” prompts of secondaries. I believe a lot of people get weeded out by this one for being superficial, or coming across as over-privileged. Yes, I know some of you have charmed lives, but if the biggest hurt in your life was getting a C or B for the first time, that’s not going to go down very well. Not everyone goes experiences the death of a loved one, or goes through something traumatic, but really, what has challenged you the most? Moving away from home to go to college? Dealing with people of a very different culture? Confronting your own prejudices? These prompts are valuable because they make you think about yourself. Remember, to those who are given much, much is expected.
  • So avoid writing something that would make a screener or interviewer think "that's it??" An example would be “I’m diverse because I went to school with lots of Asian/Black/Hispanic kids.”
If English is NOT your native language, have some native English speakers go over your app.

Many schools send out secondaries whether you're competitive or not. They can be a tax on the hopelessly clueless, or the pathologically optimistic.

Do NOT overthink secondary prompts. They're not traps. Don't be like this person, which gives you an an example of overthinking (based on an actual letter):

DEAR ADVICE PERSON: I am blessed with the most perfect, most well-behaved and most beautiful German Shepherd. Naturally, people always tell me, "Your dog is so beautiful."

My first instinct is to say "Thank you," but then I realize I'm accepting praise for someone else. I've tried responding, "My dog thanks you," but who am I to speak for my exceptional dog? What is an appropriate response?

Prompts that ask something like "explain any poor grades" are NOT asking about a B, B-, C or even a C-.

Have the right ECs. You need ECs. There are tons of people on SDN who bitch and moan about them. Well, tough. Each school gets thousands of apps for some 100-250 seats. How do we winnow down the pool? The answer is something that hyperachievers with no people skills hate hearing: you have display your altruism and humanity, your willingness to serve others, you know what you're getting into, and that you know what a doctor's day is like.

It's not only about GPA and MCATs...it's about the rest of the packet. All the people you're competing with are academically clones of each other. So the guy with 1000 hrs in the lab and 100 hrs shadowing (and who thinks shadowing counts as volunteering) but has no other clinical experience doesn't know what he's getting into, hasn't shown anything altruistic and will be passed over for someone who reads to poor children, or brings coffee to patients in hospice. 4.0 automatons are a dime-a-dozen. Stats may get you to the door, but ECs get you through the door.

Always keep in mind that it's about what med schools want, not what you want. And in the end, it's about the patients.

If you're doing this because your parents are pressuring you to do it, stop right now, grow a spine and/or some balls, and tell them that this isn't for you. You'll just save yourself a lot of misery later. Better yet, get them accounts on SDN so they can see what it takes to get into med school.

It's a scary process. And that's OK. Keep in mind that this isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. Patience is a virtue.

One or two bad grades in your app isn't going to kill you. Even a semester of Fs won't necessarily prevent you from getting into medical school, but it will delay it. Neither will parking or 1-2 speeding tickets. Schools don't care about your tickets.

Not all IAs will kill you either, especially if they occurred when you were young and stupid, and now have grown. AdCom members were young and stupid once too. But the key thing is to own your transgressions, and don’t make excuses for them.

If you have a felony in your background (especially a crime against a person), or multiple offenses, especially DUI, stop right now. Your medical career is over, or at best, in a deep long stasis..

In light of the above, even if you have had your juvenile records sealed, expunged, or sent to the Planet Zool, do a background check to make sure they’re really sealed. Not all of these things disappear, and if there’s any hint that you’re hiding something, you can be rejected, have your acceptance rescinded (it’s happened) or be expelled. Be truthful. You get a box to explain things. Explain well and OWN your transgressions; learn from them as well.

If you have an institutional action (IA) for cheating, stop right now. Your medical career is over. Now, there's cheating and then there’s cheating. Plagiarism is not the same as merely forgetting some footnotes. Having someone take an exam for you is, well, lethal. Thus, a cheating IA means you should either find another career or first engage in 5-10 years of some honest, virtuous position of responsibility.

Always have a backup plan. You should consider yourself rejected until you have an acceptance email in your Inbox, no matter how many wait lists you’re on.

Know what's in your app. Do NOT lie. Do NOT embellish. If you did research, know what it was about.

If you're still collecting LORs, simply ask "do you know me well enough to write me a good LOR for my med school app?"

It's OK to have had a poor semester, or even a poor year, if you have overcome that with straight A’s since then. People believe in redemption, and let's face it, we like come from behind stories. Strong rising GPA trends are always good.

This process is not a zero-sum game. If you have a 3.5 GPA, and your cousin Jane has a 3.7, you're still competitive. You're not competing for the same seat, just a seat.

One more thing about secondaries, as I see these memes repeated all the time, and want to set some people straight.

Concerning the disadvantaged prompt, many people have terrible lives and childhoods. The essay is not meant to be a pissing contest for who had the worst life, but for those who were denied opportunities to have a decent secondary level education and were thus handicapped in their road to college, or at college.

The minimum MCAT ideally should be 509.

The wise Gonnif has this wonderful summary about the application process. Take heed!

I am always utterly astounded by supposedly high achieving students who assume a self-imposed timetable for applying, do not understand the process well enough to realize how much time they need to complete finishing prereqs, MCAT prep, and filling out in a highly polished way, the AMCAS Primary Application and 10-25 additional secondary applications, the reality of the chances and competition that getting an acceptee truly is.

Here is my reasoning in outline form of what applicants should prioritize

Applying to Med School means:

*Illuminating your positives
*Minimizing your negatives
*Optimizing your chances with timing
*Reducing your risks
*Efficiency in doing your application
*Being the strongest first time applicant

The MCAT:
*Is weighted as much as GPA
*Should be considered at least a 6 credit course in time and work load
*Will stay with your forever
*Risk should be reduced by having the prereqs completed and sufficient time, energy, and focus to do well on it once

Filing out the Applications:
*is the AMCAS primary and 10-25 supplemental applications
*that need to be coherent, concise and compelling
*completed with high quality and in a highly polished way
*Has lengthy transcript entries, ECs and many, many multiple essays
*Should be considered a nearly full-time job from mid-May thru at least mid-August
*Be completed early in the cycle as to give applicants the most optimal timing

The data on applicants include:
*15 is the average number of applications
*40% with 3.8 GPA or higher don’t get an acceptance
*60% with 3.6-3.8 GPA don’t get an acceptance
*20% with MCAT 517 or higher dont get acceptance
*nearly 50% of matriculants get a single offer of acceptance
*So nearly 1/2 of acceptees have a 7% acceptance rate
*about 60% of matriculants took a gap year

Modified to:
Gonnif's New 10 Rules for Submission Hope and Interview Timeline

Rule 1: Take a Breath.

Rule 2: With a 40% overall acceptance rate, all applicants must assume they will be rejected

Rule 3: All applicants should assume that they will be a reapplicant and should continue to enhance their records from the moment they submit

Rule 4: About 25% of applicants each cycle have applied at least once before

Rule 5: About 40% of matriculants take the MCAT more than once

Rule 6: At each individual school, at least 80% of applicants must be rejected prior to interview

Rule 7: 40% of applicants with GPA 3.8 or higher do not get an acceptance, 60% with GPA 3.6-3.8 do not get an acceptance

Rule 8: Almost half of all matriculants get only a single acceptance; almost a quarter of all matriculants get only a single interview invite

Rule 9: Acceptances off the Waitlist will continue thru early August

Rule 10: Nothing has come to completion until the corpulent woman has vocalized musically (or something to that effect)

Therefore in priorities:

*Complete prereqs and focus on GPA before attempting MCAT

*Put nearly 100% time, energy and focus into MCAT for 6-12 weeks or more. Complete the MCAT before starting AMCAS, optimally before the application cycle begins

*Put nearly 100% of time, energy and focus into the actual applications

*Begin application prep weeks or months before they open (Jan of application year)

As data suggests, the majority of successful applicants took a gap year.

And to summarize:

*Invest in MSAR Online.

*Pay very careful attention to the IS/OOS ratios of schools, particularly, public ones.

*Pay very careful attention to the 10-90th %iles for stats.

*Do NOT use USN&WR rankings to pick a school list.

*Visit the Admissions websites of EVERY school you're interested in, and look at FAQs, requirements and mission statements.

Development of a core competencies that premeds need to use to guide their academic and experiential preparation
Admissions Lifecycle - Admissions - AAMC
Course Requirements | M.D. Admissions | Albert Einstein College of Medicine
https://wmpeople.wm.edu/asset/index/btsher/competenciesworksheet
Not to mention all the detailed school websites

Detailed core competencies of what will be expected as a medical student:
Einstein Educational Competencies | M.D. Program | Albert Einstein College of Medicine
https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/core-competencies/corecompetencyreport2012.pdf?sfvrsn=4

Clear, free and inexpensive guides of what schools are looking for.
Medical School Admission Requirements®
Student Guide to Osteopathic Medical Colleges - Choose DO

A detailed 125 page outline of what you need to know for the MCAT.
https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...a-4c00-83dd-c17cee034c47/mcat2015-content.pdf
What's on the MCAT Exam?

Free data sources for applicants about applying, how medical students do, and even residency.

FACTS: Applicants, Matriculants, Enrollment, Graduates, MD/PhD, and Residency Applicants Data - Data and Analysis - AAMC
AACOM Reports
Main Residency Match Data and Reports - The Match, National Resident Matching Program
ACGME Data Resource Book

A detailed explanation of what letters of evaluation should contain.
https://www.aamc.org/download/349990/data/lettersguidelinesbrochure.pdf

A large array of free tutorials and tools explaining how all this works.
AMCAS® Tools and Tutorials

Again, special thanks to the wise gonnif for all his hard work in compiling these.

AFTER SUBMISSION

Reviews of applications are not necessarily reviewed in chronological order or invited for interview at time of review. Superstars, linked programs, associated UG institutions, family of alumni, grads of feeder schools, legacies, URMs, people who meet the school’s mission, in-state residents for state schools, linked post-bac programs like SMPs, and other factors may push an app forward in the process.

When these get added up they essentially become your interview priority. So you may get reviewed in August but priority doesn’t get you invited until February (kudos to the wise gonnif for that).

And to all of you, good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 28 users
I've heard update letters help because they force ADCOMs to look at your application when attaching it. Is this true?

I've heard update letters help because they force ADCOMs to look at your application when attaching it. Is this true?
Very school dependent. Some schools will just stick them in your file and then bury the file.

Some schools refuse to accept updates, and yet people send them anyway. Imagine how helpful those are?

There are some needy schools that like to see applicants grovel, so they like updates. Generally if a school says they welcome updates, make sure you send them updates if you have something that's worthwhile!

Do not fall into the Trap of many SDNers who send an update and then receive an acceptance, and who do not understand the concept of cause and effect.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Question: I have a 3.35 gpa but a 521 MCAT (130/130/130/131). I majored in CS & Neurobiology and minored in Bioengineering & Spanish at Cal. Have done computational research at UCSF & Stanford. Currently working as software dev for an EHR company. How should I craft my school list, given my unbalanced stats?

Also, I’m applying MD/PhD for reference

Last edited by a moderator:
Question: I have a 3.35 gpa but a 521 MCAT (130/130/130/131). I majored in CS & Neurobiology and minored in Bioengineering & Spanish at Cal. Have done computational research at UCSF & Stanford. Currently working as software dev for an EHR company. How should I craft my school list, given my unbalanced stats?

Also, I’m applying MD/PhD for reference
Any Rising GPA Trends? That's the most important thing when considering the crafting of your list.

Now a problem with MD / PhD is that they are extremely competitive programs and they pretty much, in my understanding, require close to perfection.

Unfortunately MD / PhD is not the area I am most comfortable in, so you may want to ask in other forums about your chances.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow! Fantastic write up thank you for that. Im not sure where to post this for your feedback How do my stats look? I received a 508 on the MCAT and I was worried that it would greatly decrease my chances for MD. I noticed you said a 509 was the ideal lowest for MD. Also I submitted my primary July 9th. Is that too late and will it negatively impact my application?

Stats
White male nontraditional Illinois resident
Bachelors in Nursing
GPA: 3.83 (4.0 Postbacc I did 1 year of classes extra for prereqs)
sGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 508
5000 hours clinical work CVICU nurse
1000 hours non clinical volunteering at a church over 3 years
1000 hours clinical volunteering in a internal medicine clinic over 3.5 years
200 hours shadowing 2 doctors (IM and Urology)
500 hours (8 months) Research Andrology Laboratory
5 LORs 1 doc 3 professors 1 lab director

Thank you so much.

Thank you for the amazing and brutally honest guide. Bookmarked for future reference.

Wow! Fantastic write up thank you for that. Im not sure where to post this for your feedback How do my stats look?
Great for for DO, still fine for MD. Make a post in the WAMC forum for advice on school list
I received a 508 on the MCAT and I was worried that it would greatly decrease my chances for MD. I noticed you said a 509 was the ideal lowest for MD.
One can get into some MD schools even with a 503, but remember the MD median for acceptees in 512, so "ideal lowest" =/= "lowest". Your nursing degree might be more of an issue, but this is something other SDNers can comment on. Wise @gyngyn and @gonnnif?

Also I submitted my primary July 9th. Is that too late and will it negatively impact my application?
No and no

Great for for DO, still fine for MD. Make a post in the WAMC forum for advice on school list

One can get into some MD schools even with a 503, but remember the MD median for acceptees in 512, so "ideal lowest" =/= "lowest". Your nursing degree might be more of an issue, but this is something other SDNers can comment on. Wise @gyngyn and @gonnnif?

No and no
Thank you for the feedback. How does a nursing degree usually affect an application?

Thanks for the advice! If my MCAT score (508) is 5 years old and therefore “expired” for a good many schools through the AMCAS, is submitting my application for verification before I get my second MCAT score a good idea or should I hold off?

Thank you for the feedback. How does a nursing degree usually affect an application?
Vocational degrees are associated with the lowest matriculation rates. They can be viewed as less rigorous than other majors.

This is incredible, thank you Goro! 🙏🏼

Question about the mcat section, what if my mcat (506) is 1 point below the school’s 10%? Is it still worth applying? Does this rule also apply for my IS schools or should I just apply to all of them regardless? (i’m thinking of withdrawing my app before it’s verified to USF and Miami Miller).

Members don't see this ad :)
have a massive rising GPA trend that looks like the Nike swoosh
What would you consider to be a "Nike swoosh"? I'm having a tough time coming up with a school list with a 518 (131/125/131/131) and a GPA each academic year with the following trend:
Freshman:1.93
Sophomore: 2.60
Junior: 3.21
Senior: 3.7
5th Year: 3.98

What would you consider to be a "Nike swoosh"? I'm having a tough time coming up with a school list with a 518 (131/125/131/131) and a GPA each academic year with the following trend:
Freshman:1.93
Sophomore: 2.60
Junior: 3.21
Senior: 3.7
5th Year: 3.98
Yes, that looks like a swoosh. How many credit hours did you take in your fifth year?
Make a post in the what are my chances forum please

This is incredible, thank you Goro! 🙏🏼

Question about the mcat section, what if my mcat (506) is 1 point below the school’s 10%? Is it still worth applying? Does this rule also apply for my IS schools or should I just apply to all of them regardless? (i’m thinking of withdrawing my app before it’s verified to USF and Miami Miller).
Good question. If it's one of your state schools, you should apply to it.

But if it's one of the really top schools, I don't think it's worth it, unless you have something really outstanding that would balance out, like a compelling life story combined with fantastic extracurriculars.

That's because the higher up the tree you want to climb, the more slippery it gets.

Thanks for the advice! If my MCAT score (508) is 5 years old and therefore “expired” for a good many schools through the AMCAS, is submitting my application for verification before I get my second MCAT score a good idea or should I hold off?
Yes, it's always worth applying to a single throw away School to get verified

Hi Goro,
Thank you for the very comprehensive post! Quick question regarding the line about most deans sitting down post-labor day to look at apps.
For context, I have a low <3.0 undergrad cGPA&sGPA, 3.61 SMP GPA, and 513 MCAT which is old (~3 years) and looking to take it again (currently scheduled 7/16), but my practice scores (averaging 511) aren't lining up where I want them to be - so my question is this. Do I take the exam or push it to Aug 5 when I'd feel more confident that I'll be able to score in the range I want to? I know each school has its own criteria for how/when they review applications, but I want to know if this approach will significantly disadvantage me as that would put my application being complete September 7th when my score gets back if I go that route. I am verified via submitting to one school and currently pre-writing secondaries for the schools I intend to apply to. I've read your reinvention thread so those are the schools I'll mostly be applying to. In terms of EC's, I have ~4000 hours of clinical experience (scribing and medical assisting) , 0 research (currently searching for a research job and will send updates to schools that it makes sense to send them to) and ~600 hours of volunteering over a span of years.

Any advice would be helpful!

Last edited:
Hi Goro,
Thank you for the very comprehensive post! Quick question regarding the line about most deans sitting down post-labor day to look at apps.
For context, I have a low <3.0 undergrad cGPA&sGPA, 3.61 SMP GPA, and 513 MCAT which is old (~3 years) and looking to take it again (currently scheduled 7/16), but my practice scores (averaging 511) aren't lining up where I want them to be - so my question is this. Do I take the exam or push it to Aug 5 when I'd feel more confident that I'll be able to score in the range I want to? I know each school has its own criteria for how/when they review applications, but I want to know if this approach will significantly disadvantage me as that would put my application being complete September 7th when my score gets back if I go that route. I am verified via submitting to one school and currently pre-writing secondaries for the schools I intend to apply to. I've read your reinvention thread so those are the schools I'll mostly be applying to. In terms of EC's, I have ~4000 hours of clinical experience (scribing and medical assisting) , 0 research (currently searching for a research job and will send updates to schools that it makes sense to send them to) and ~600 hours of volunteering over a span of years.

Any advice would be helpful!
As the MCAT is a high stake, career deciding exam, you should take it only when you are 100% ready for it, even if it means skipping an app cycle.

An 8/5 exam date is not too late in my opinion.

Hi Goro! Thank you so much for this insightful, well thought out and overall amazing guide - bookmarked for sure. I was wondering if I could further inquire about a later MCAT date (first week of September). For context, I was supposed to take the MCAT in the beginning of July, but my practice scores were not lining up as I wanted and I had some unexpected life complications. I am confident that I can hit 510+ by the first week of September. I know that the further you delay your application, the chances of receiving interview invites decreases dramatically, and ultimately acceptances are unlikely. Do you think that taking the exam this late is a lost cause or that I may be able to secure a few interviews? For context, I wrote some background info below.
  • Submitted AMCAS primary application on June 11th, verified July 11th
  • Applied to 20 schools - top choice is Sidney Kimmel Medical College, other preferred choices (Geisinger Commonwealth, Temple, Drexel, Penn State Hershey) - I'm an in-state PA resident :)
  • Overall GPA: 3.83, BCPM GPA: 3.70 - graduated from Schreyer Honors College at PSU (We are!)
  • Extracurriculars: 2 publications, 2 undergraduate research positions (3+ years each), camp counselor for children w/ chronic medical conditions, 1k+ clinical hours as a nursing assistant on a med surg floor + in a nursing home during 2020-2021, 2 gap years (just finished my first) as a clinical research coordinator in pediatric brain tumor research (serve on multiple DEI committees and work in the neurosurgery publication group), multiple leadership positions, over 1k+ hours of nonmedical + medical volunteer hours (ex: free health care clinics), shadowed 10+ specialities over 200+ shadowing hours, etc.
  • 7 letters of recommendation (professors, MDs, etc.)
  • First time taking the MCAT - no previous scores
I truly do not want to pull my application unless its a complete lost cause, but I would appreciate any perspective on this as I have received many conflicting opinions and I'm going a lil crazy over it lol.

Thank you so much, Goro!

Last edited:
Hi Goro! Thank you so much for this insightful, well thought out and overall amazing guide - bookmarked for sure. I was wondering if I could further inquire about a later MCAT date (first week of September). For context, I was supposed to take the MCAT in the beginning of July, but my practice scores were not lining up as I wanted and I had some unexpected life complications. I am confident that I can hit 510+ by the first week of September. I know that the further you delay your application, the chances of receiving interview invites decreases dramatically, and ultimately acceptances are unlikely. Do you think that taking the exam this late is a lost cause or that I may be able to secure a few interviews? For context, I wrote some background info below.
  • Submitted AMCAS primary application on June 11th, verified July 11th
  • Applied to 20 schools - top choice is Sidney Kimmel Medical College, other preferred choices (Geisinger Commonwealth, Temple, Drexel, Penn State Hershey) - I'm an in-state PA resident :)
  • Overall GPA: 3.83, BCPM GPA: 3.70 - graduated from Schreyer Honors College at PSU (We are!)
  • Extracurriculars: 2 publications, 2 undergraduate research positions (3+ years each), camp counselor for children w/ chronic medical conditions, 1k+ clinical hours as a nursing assistant on a med surg floor + in a nursing home during 2020-2021, 2 gap years (just finished my first) as a clinical research coordinator in pediatric brain tumor research (serve on multiple DEI committees and work in the neurosurgery publication group), multiple leadership positions, over 1k+ hours of nonmedical + medical volunteer hours (ex: free health care clinics), shadowed 10+ specialities over 200+ shadowing hours, etc.
  • 7 letters of recommendation (professors, MDs, etc.)
  • First time taking the MCAT - no previous scores
I truly do not want to pull my application unless its a complete lost cause, but I would appreciate any perspective on this as I have received many conflicting opinions and I'm going a lil crazy over it lol.

Thank you so much, Goro!
An MCAT THAT late is not recommended for MD, but fine for DO

Thanks for pointing this thread out to me. Very Helpful.

I especially like that you commented on the areas that people moan about.

I will resist my urge to moan.

• Love
Very great info here. Will use this if I have to reapply lol

So, application season is upon us once again. I have some tips for you. Grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair.

What do we Adcoms look for? People who will make good doctors and will be good students.

But to be the former, you have to be the latter. Evidence for doing well in med school is evidenced by an applicant with above average grades and MCAT score, evidence of a good work ethic, strong time management skills, reasonable expectations of what it means to have a career in medicine based on personal experiences acquired as an adult (not, "I shadowed by grandpa when I was 8 and therefore I know what it is to be a doctor"), capacity for self-reflection, able to give and receive feedback and learn from it, good self-care and resilience in tough times.

A high risk of failing out or withdrawing due to lack of motivation would be the opposite of the attributes listed above (kudos to LizzyM for this).

Applying early is good. But don’t freak out if you’re not submitting by end of July. Most Admissions deans don’t get started at work until after Labor Day. By end of September, it's probably too late for MD schools (unless you’re a stellar candidate, or fulfill one of the school’s missions), but FYI, the DO cycle is longer (up to early Dec or even Jan!) There are DO-specific posts in the pre-Osteopathic forum later.

Do NOT underestimate how much time it will take to properly fill out 20-30 apps! I believe that anything >35 will simply kill you, as you'll burn out and also get sloppy. Pay very careful attention to these wise words from Gonnif:

I want to point out …the need to understand the money, time, and effort in applying to medical school and why the very common mistake of applying to far too many schools in hopes you will get into one is not the most optimal and efficient strategy to get into medical school. I hear applicants tell me all the day the days, weeks, even months they spend in crafting their PS on their primary, but do not see the they will have 10-20-30 or more secondaries that need to be done in the same highly polished, coherent, and concise way that your Primary was done. You don’t get into medical school because you got in more secondaries quickly, you get into med school by having good quality secondaries.

When I tell applicants that just applying to medical school [that is the actual applications] should be considered a full time job from mid-May thru at least mid-August, they do not seem to fathom it. When they ask when they can travel for 3 weeks out of the country, I say the year before you apply. It is a sh*tload of work and that seems to shock them when it actually happens. This is why I reiterate, reiterate, reiterate:

If you don't have your MCAT in (or some other crucial requirement), it's OK to start applying, but for verification ONLY. The verification process can take some time, so if you can get that out of the way, so much the better. Apply to an unrealistic reach school. But if you’re re-taking MCAT and are waiting for your new score, get verified, do NOT apply until you have your new score. Schools do not hold your apps in the hope that you’ll get a better score.

Do NOT apply to a school that you don't want to go to. It's one thing to not like a place after an interview, but, really, do your homework. I am appalled by people who have 1000s of hours of research experience, yet can’t be bothered to look over med school websites, other than the Admissions face page. These pages are very valuable in letting you know what they’re looking for. Some examples:

Think about where the schools are. Mayo and Rochester are not merely cold in the winter, but Siberian cold. Like Winter makes a serious attempt to kill you cold. Tulane, on the other hand, is hot and sauna-like in the summer (but with great food). Consider your support groups, if you're leaving home for the first time. I literally have lost students to homesickness.

Don't know where to apply? Do your homework. MSAR Online is a mandatory resource. The money it will save you from not applying to even one wrong school (for you) will more than make up for the cost of MSAR.

Know your target schools, beyond the numbers. Many schools are mission driven, like Howard, UCR, SIU, U ILL-Carle, Mercer and Central Michigan. Again, do your research!

Look up how many public schools accept out-of-state students, and what percentage are these of the class? MSAR tells you this in the Acceptance Information tab. Many schools (ex. Mercer, UND, SIU, USD, U NM, U MS) will highly favor in-state residents, to the exclusion of OOSers. Those OOS students taken at, say, U IA or U AL, most likely come from neighboring states, or went to undergrad in the state. I am surprised at how many people draw up lists of schools to apply to, based upon info from USN&WR (again, poor research skills on parade here). So don't apply to U HI just because you'd love to go to med school in HI. Have the bona fides for HI. My rule of thumb is if >5% of the matriculants are from OOS, it might be worth applying. But be > avg.

More and more med schools accept CC credits. Again, MSAR is useful in telling you who do, and who don’t take the coursework. Here's a rule of thumb.

-If you go to a CC as a non-trad to get the pre-reqs, or for grade repair as a DIY post-bac, that's also fine.
-If it appears that you're avoiding your UG school's rigorous weeding courses by taking them at CCs, then that's going to raise some eyebrows.

Apply strategically! What I mean is look over the MCAT AND GPAs of the schools you're interested in, and apply to those whose median scores are close to your own. Do NOT apply to a school if your numbers are <10th percentile of matriculants. The people who get into Yale with a 510 MCAT are either URM, legacies, veterans, or have something really spectacular about their story.

My suggestion is that if you're 2-4 points below the school's medians, you're in striking distance, but consider your numbers carefully. Apply smart and apply once. But the higher the pole you want to climb, the slipperier it will get.

In light of the above, there's "reach", and then there's "unrealistic". Be realistic.

If your GPA is under 3.4, I recommend NOT applying now, unless you live in an area where the state schools have their 10th-90th percentiles stretching down to 3.3. An example is U AR or U MO-KC. Better to take a post-bac or SMP and get the GPA into a competitive zone. Oh, and I'm not impressed with the n=1 stories of "my cousin got into Harvard with a 3.0 GPA". There will always be outliers.

If you do well in a SMP/post-bac (GPA >3.6 AND have a MCAT > 513), or have a massive rising GPA trend that looks like the Nike swoosh, then there are med schools that reward reinvention, even if your cGPA is <3.4! Search for my other posts for lists of those.

The average MD matriculant nationwide (as of 7/22) has a cGPA of ~3.81 and an MCAT of 512. Remember these numbers.

In that vein, think very carefully about "ties" to a state. Growing up in a place and then moving away is fine. Wife's family lives there? Not fine.

Have as many eyeballs as possible go over your app. There's no excuse for spelling, grammar or thoughtless mistakes on your PS. And for God's sake, when you cut and paste, remove school A's name and replace it with B for the app for school B. As in sports, where the team that makes more mistakes will lose, the apps with the fewest mistakes get received more kindly. Med schools, with > 5000s apps and only 100-200 seats, need immediate ways to cull the herd.

Don't use your PS to explain why you got bad grades. It's for "Who are you?” for "Why Medicine?" and how you got to that decision.

Speaking of the PS, see these invaluable comments by the wise Med Ed: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/youre-doing-it-wrong-part-1-your-personal-statement.1247362/

Do NOT write in your PS or secondary about what you think we want to see...write about your passions and what drives you. Write about what makes you interesting.

• The “diversity” prompt for secondaries (as in "How will you add to the diversity of our class"?) is NOT about your ethnic background. It’s about what unique thing do you bring to the entering Class? Think of it this way: if I asked your three best friends “what’s the coolest thing about you?” what would they say?
  • Give some serious thought to the “Tell us about a time you failed” or “The biggest obstacle that you overcame is….?” prompts of secondaries. I believe a lot of people get weeded out by this one for being superficial, or coming across as over-privileged. Yes, I know some of you have charmed lives, but if the biggest hurt in your life was getting a C or B for the first time, that’s not going to go down very well. Not everyone goes experiences the death of a loved one, or goes through something traumatic, but really, what has challenged you the most? Moving away from home to go to college? Dealing with people of a very different culture? Confronting your own prejudices? These prompts are valuable because they make you think about yourself. Remember, to those who are given much, much is expected.
  • So avoid writing something that would make a screener or interviewer think "that's it??" An example would be “I’m diverse because I went to school with lots of Asian/Black/Hispanic kids.”
If English is NOT your native language, have some native English speakers go over your app.

Many schools send out secondaries whether you're competitive or not. They can be a tax on the hopelessly clueless, or the pathologically optimistic.

Do NOT overthink secondary prompts. They're not traps. Don't be like this person, which gives you an an example of overthinking (based on an actual letter):

DEAR ADVICE PERSON: I am blessed with the most perfect, most well-behaved and most beautiful German Shepherd. Naturally, people always tell me, "Your dog is so beautiful."

My first instinct is to say "Thank you," but then I realize I'm accepting praise for someone else. I've tried responding, "My dog thanks you," but who am I to speak for my exceptional dog? What is an appropriate response?

Prompts that ask something like "explain any poor grades" are NOT asking about a B, B-, C or even a C-.

Have the right ECs. You need ECs. There are tons of people on SDN who bitch and moan about them. Well, tough. Each school gets thousands of apps for some 100-250 seats. How do we winnow down the pool? The answer is something that hyperachievers with no people skills hate hearing: you have display your altruism and humanity, your willingness to serve others, you know what you're getting into, and that you know what a doctor's day is like.

It's not only about GPA and MCATs...it's about the rest of the packet. All the people you're competing with are academically clones of each other. So the guy with 1000 hrs in the lab and 100 hrs shadowing (and who thinks shadowing counts as volunteering) but has no other clinical experience doesn't know what he's getting into, hasn't shown anything altruistic and will be passed over for someone who reads to poor children, or brings coffee to patients in hospice. 4.0 automatons are a dime-a-dozen. Stats may get you to the door, but ECs get you through the door.

Always keep in mind that it's about what med schools want, not what you want. And in the end, it's about the patients.

If you're doing this because your parents are pressuring you to do it, stop right now, grow a spine and/or some balls, and tell them that this isn't for you. You'll just save yourself a lot of misery later. Better yet, get them accounts on SDN so they can see what it takes to get into med school.

It's a scary process. And that's OK. Keep in mind that this isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. Patience is a virtue.

One or two bad grades in your app isn't going to kill you. Even a semester of Fs won't necessarily prevent you from getting into medical school, but it will delay it. Neither will parking or 1-2 speeding tickets. Schools don't care about your tickets.

Not all IAs will kill you either, especially if they occurred when you were young and stupid, and now have grown. AdCom members were young and stupid once too. But the key thing is to own your transgressions, and don’t make excuses for them.

If you have a felony in your background (especially a crime against a person), or multiple offenses, especially DUI, stop right now. Your medical career is over, or at best, in a deep long stasis..

In light of the above, even if you have had your juvenile records sealed, expunged, or sent to the Planet Zool, do a background check to make sure they’re really sealed. Not all of these things disappear, and if there’s any hint that you’re hiding something, you can be rejected, have your acceptance rescinded (it’s happened) or be expelled. Be truthful. You get a box to explain things. Explain well and OWN your transgressions; learn from them as well.

If you have an institutional action (IA) for cheating, stop right now. Your medical career is over. Now, there's cheating and then there’s cheating. Plagiarism is not the same as merely forgetting some footnotes. Having someone take an exam for you is, well, lethal. Thus, a cheating IA means you should either find another career or first engage in 5-10 years of some honest, virtuous position of responsibility.

Always have a backup plan. You should consider yourself rejected until you have an acceptance email in your Inbox, no matter how many wait lists you’re on.

Know what's in your app. Do NOT lie. Do NOT embellish. If you did research, know what it was about.

If you're still collecting LORs, simply ask "do you know me well enough to write me a good LOR for my med school app?"

It's OK to have had a poor semester, or even a poor year, if you have overcome that with straight A’s since then. People believe in redemption, and let's face it, we like come from behind stories. Strong rising GPA trends are always good.

This process is not a zero-sum game. If you have a 3.5 GPA, and your cousin Jane has a 3.7, you're still competitive. You're not competing for the same seat, just a seat.

One more thing about secondaries, as I see these memes repeated all the time, and want to set some people straight.

Concerning the disadvantaged prompt, many people have terrible lives and childhoods. The essay is not meant to be a pissing contest for who had the worst life, but for those who were denied opportunities to have a decent secondary level education and were thus handicapped in their road to college, or at college.

The wise Gonnif has this wonderful summary about the application process. Take heed!

I am always utterly astounded by supposedly high achieving students who assume a self-imposed timetable for applying, do not understand the process well enough to realize how much time they need to complete finishing prereqs, MCAT prep, and filling out in a highly polished way, the AMCAS Primary Application and 10-25 additional secondary applications, the reality of the chances and competition that getting an acceptee truly is.

*Reducing your risks

The MCAT:
*Risk should be reduced by having the prereqs completed and sufficient time, energy, and focus to do well on it once

*Should be considered a nearly full-time job from mid-May thru at least mid-August

Modified to:

Rule 2: With a 40% overall acceptance rate, all applicants must assume they will be rejected

Rule 3: All applicants should assume that they will be a reapplicant and should continue to enhance their records from the moment they submit

Rule 6: At each individual school, at least 80% of applicants must be rejected prior to interview

Rule 7: 40% of applicants with GPA 3.8 or higher do not get an acceptance, 60% with GPA 3.6-3.8 do not get an acceptance

Rule 8: Almost half of all matriculants get only a single acceptance; almost a quarter of all matriculants get only a single interview invite

Rule 10: Nothing has come to completion until the corpulent woman has vocalized musically (or something to that effect)

Therefore in priorities:

*Put nearly 100% time, energy and focus into MCAT for 6-12 weeks or more. Complete the MCAT before starting AMCAS, optimally before the application cycle begins

*Begin application prep weeks or months before they open (Jan of application year)

And to summarize:

*Invest in MSAR Online.

*Pay very careful attention to the IS/OOS ratios of schools, particularly, public ones.

*Visit the Admissions websites of EVERY school you're interested in, and look at FAQs, requirements and mission statements.

Development of a core competencies that premeds need to use to guide their academic and experiential preparation

Einstein Educational Competencies | M.D. Program | Albert Einstein College of Medicine
https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/core-competencies/corecompetencyreport2012.pdf?sfvrsn=4

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...a-4c00-83dd-c17cee034c47/mcat2015-content.pdf
What's on the MCAT Exam?

Free data sources for applicants about applying, how medical students do, and even residency.

FACTS: Applicants, Matriculants, Enrollment, Graduates, MD/PhD, and Residency Applicants Data - Data and Analysis - AAMC
AACOM Reports
Main Residency Match Data and Reports - The Match, National Resident Matching Program
ACGME Data Resource Book

Again, special thanks to the wise gonnif for all his hard work in compiling these.

AFTER SUBMISSION

Reviews of applications are not necessarily reviewed in chronological order or invited for interview at time of review. Superstars, linked programs, associated UG institutions, family of alumni, grads of feeder schools, legacies, URMs, people who meet the school’s mission, in-state residents for state schools, linked post-bac programs like SMPs, and other factors may push an app forward in the process.

When these get added up they essentially become your interview priority. So you may get reviewed in August but priority doesn’t get you invited until February (kudos to the wise gonnif for that).

Thank you for this amazing post! Do you have any recommendations for how to use MSAR after completing a SMP/other graduate work?

Thank you for this amazing post! Do you have any recommendations for how to use MSAR after completing a SMP/other graduate work?
Look at # of students in class who have a post-graduate degree or did post-bac work. The higher the number, the more likely they are to reward reinvention. Albany, NYMC and Drexel are examples.

*Reducing your risks

The MCAT:

Modified to:

Therefore in priorities:

And to summarize:

*Invest in MSAR Online.

What's on the MCAT Exam?

AACOM Reports
ACGME Data Resource Book

AFTER SUBMISSION

You mention about if you have a DUI...”forget it”...do you mean a felony DUI? Because I’ve heard many podcasts of people who made it in with a DUI.

What I’m frankly *scared* to death of, is that I’m non-trad. I’m 38, and decided to switch careers to medicine. I guess since I haven’t drank in so long, and I’ve always tried to shut out that part of my life because I’m such a different person today, I just hadn’t thought about it.

I’m hoping against everything that I still have *A* chance to get into *A* medical school (hopefully not Caribbean, I don’t think I could do that), but even DO, any MD school, anything. Mine were not felonies, they happened 11 and 18 years ago. No one was injured. I’m still horrified.

You mention about if you have a DUI...”forget it”...do you mean a felony DUI? Because I’ve heard many podcasts of people who made it in with a DUI.

What I’m frankly *scared* to death of, is that I’m non-trad. I’m 38, and decided to switch careers to medicine. I guess since I haven’t drank in so long, and I’ve always tried to shut out that part of my life because I’m such a different person today, I just hadn’t thought about it.

I’m hoping against everything that I still have *A* chance to get into *A* medical school (hopefully not Caribbean, I don’t think I could do that), but even DO, any MD school, anything. Mine were not felonies, they happened 11 and 18 years ago. No one was injured. I’m still horrified.
Nuance is everything; it depends upon how old you were when you got the DUI, how much time has past since then, whether you've owned the transgression and most importantly, if it's your only one! 11 and 18 years ago is a long time, so you don't have anything to worry about, except maybe at LUCOM and Loma Linda.

• Care
Nuance is everything; it depends upon how old you were when you got the DUI, how much time has past since then, whether you've owned the transgression and most importantly, if it's your only one! 11 and 18 years ago is a long time, so you don't have anything to worry about, except maybe at LUCOM and Loma Linda.
I would have been around 21 or 22 and then 28 years old. I’m 38 now. I’ll be almost 40 by the time I apply for Med School. Praying I can get into at least ONE in this country.

Thank you for your answer, by the way. So you do think there is a *chance* I might be able to do it, if I go about it in the right way?

Last edited:
I would have been around 21 or 22 and then 28 years old. I’m 38 now. I’ll be almost 40 by the time I apply for Med School. Praying I can get into at least ONE in this country.

Thank you for your answer, by the way. So you do think there is a *chance* I might be able to do it, if I go about it in the right way?
Ten years is a long time, and yes, i think that you do have a chance.

• Care
Ten years is a long time, and yes, i think that you do have a chance.
Thank you so much for the bit of hope. I’ve been so depressed lately I almost thought about just giving up entirely on everything. I even stopped studying for the MCAT a couple of days ago. I’m trying to make in the 90%+ on it, and also try and help underprivileged kids believe in themselves if they want to become a doctor.

• Care

*Reducing your risks

The MCAT:

Modified to:

Therefore in priorities:

And to summarize:

*Invest in MSAR Online.

What's on the MCAT Exam?

AACOM Reports
ACGME Data Resource Book

AFTER SUBMISSION

Goro is July mcat on time for MD?

How important is finding a “narrative.” I don’t like the idea of forcing ECs into a certain narrative, but I have an interest in rural health and working with underserved communities (specifically, those who are of the elderly population), and a lot of my ECs do fall under that. Does that matter/does it help?

*Reducing your risks

The MCAT:

Modified to:

Therefore in priorities:

And to summarize:

*Invest in MSAR Online.

What's on the MCAT Exam?

AACOM Reports
ACGME Data Resource Book

AFTER SUBMISSION

How important is finding a “narrative.” I don’t like the idea of forcing ECs into a certain narrative, but I have an interest in rural health and working with underserved communities (specifically, those who are of the elderly population), and a lot of my ECs do fall under that. Does that matter/does it help?
My own take is that people put too much into this narrative business.

One's interests simply need to be backed by actions. I expect people like you, who say they are interested in rural medicine to walk the walk and not merely talk the talk.